PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff Rule Changes Approved

Scout200
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Today, the NFL chose to move the kickoff to the 35-yard line as opposed to the 30-yard line... how do you think this will effect the game?

Ryfo18
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
There will be quite a few more touchbacks...Elusive kick returners won't be quite as valuable as they once were. Look at the contract Josh Cribbs signed (3 yr $20M). I don't think we'll be seeing that anymore.

AkChief49
03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
They just took away one of the more exciting plays of the game. Not to mention a possible game changer!!

tornadospotter
03-22-2011, 10:35 PM
This does indeed, change the game. How long do we have to wait, before we see it change the game. :11:

GET A DEAL DONE ALL OF YOU OVERPAID OWNERS AND PLAYERS, and screw the agents! :smile

chiefnut
03-23-2011, 07:44 AM
kickers w/the strongest legs will get more touch backs. in olden times most kickoffs landed inside the 10yd line and there were still run backs for TDs. maybe this will make the elite kick returners even more valuable. remember pre 1994 they did kickoff from the 35 and billy white shoes johnson and 7 others had 4 returns for TD's in a single season, some only 14games long.

Scout200
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
This does indeed, change the game. How long do we have to wait, before we see it change the game. :11:

Agree completely!!

Seek
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
They should make the rule that if it is a touch back by kneeling, the ball is placed on the 15. If the ball is just kicked out of of bounds in the endzone, they get it at the 20.

And the coin toss should be a 10 yard sprint to a ball and the winner gets the call.

Ryfo18
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
They should make the rule that if it is a touch back by kneeling, the ball is placed on the 15. If the ball is just kicked out of of bounds in the endzone, they get it at the 20.

And the coin toss should be a 10 yard sprint to a ball and the winner gets the call.

That's not a bad idea, but w/ the player safety focus (or cloak they are hiding behind, whichever way you look at it), putting it on the 15 would encourage more kick returns and be counterproductive for safety.

chiefnut
03-24-2011, 07:41 AM
over reacting, will not change the game that much, college kicks from the 35 and that game is still exciting

Seek
03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
That's not a bad idea, but w/ the player safety focus (or cloak they are hiding behind, whichever way you look at it), putting it on the 15 would encourage more kick returns and be counterproductive for safety.

Why kick off at all. Just start at the 20 and less people will get hurt.

Scout200
03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Great point!! To me, this sounds like an ulterior motive. IMO I think they're trying to make it "safer" where they can statistically prove fewer injuries prior to the leveraging to go to 18.

matthewschiefs
03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Great point!! To me, this sounds like an ulterior motive. IMO I think they're trying to make it "safer" where they can statistically prove fewer injuries prior to the leveraging to go to 18.

I would agree with this. Right now both sides are leveraging as much as they can to get the advantage in the labor battle. I don't like this but as long as there is football i will learn to live with it.

tornadospotter
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah! and while we are on the safety train of though, lets let them keep the pads, but no tackling! Just Velcro two flags on there butts, lose your two flags you are tackled! :efpge::lol:

pojote
03-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I follow a few Chiefs players on tweeter and they disagree with this new rule.

Scout200
03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't like this but as long as there is football i will learn to live with it.

Ha, nice perspective!!

AkChief49
03-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Does this mean there will be more onside kicks? They can be fun!

Connie Jo
03-26-2011, 12:37 AM
I just wish everything would stop changing, including which teams players play for every year. I miss the days of a byegone era when it was simple...a good old kick your butt game of football, with most players staying on a team throughout the majority of their career.

AussieChiefsFan
03-26-2011, 03:48 AM
I just wish everything would stop changing, including which teams players play for every year. I miss the days of a byegone era when it was simple...a good old kick your butt game of football, with most players staying on a team throughout the majority of their career.

I agree.

I don't necessarily believe that the players are over-payed (though some are, like haynesworth), but it would be great some players didn't think about the money all the time and more about the game and the fans.

Don't get me wrong, I think that many players DON'T just think about the money, like many Chiefs players ;) but many players do like once again, Haynesworth.

Chiefster
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
For those kickers who can already put the kickoff deep into the end zone I don't know that there will be a significant difference.