PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs workout Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick

Ryfo18
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure if this has been spread around or not, but I just heard Kaepernick say he had a workout with the Chiefs.

I haven't done my homework on him, but I know he's been climbing up draft boards recently. Gannon was comparing his mechanics to Aaron Rodgers, when Rodgers came out of Cal. Obviously a guy you have to coach up, but some solid potential in this guy. Would love to see the Chiefs bring in a guy like him and groom him to be a QB in the next 3-4 years.

Ryfo18
03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
EDIT: The workout is scheduled! Hasn't happened yet.

matthewschiefs
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I am thinking they are looking for a backup qb for Cassel.Or at least someone to come in and compete with Brodie for the backup job should they bring him back.

Coach
03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Probably identifying several backup QB prospects hoping that one falls into the 5th or later rounds.

chiefnut
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
ryan mallet has visit/workout to KC scheduled, could be a smoke screen or are the CHIEFS serious about a QB of the future???

N TX Dave
03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
ryan mallet has visit/workout to KC scheduled, could be a smoke screen or are the CHIEFS serious about a QB of the future???

Not sure if they are looking for a QOTF more than a backup cause Broke is not the one to rely on if needed he is now what 0-19 as a starter.

Ryfo18
03-24-2011, 08:42 PM
It's never too early to begin grooming quarterbacks. At this piont I think it's safe to say that Brodie Croyle has not shown he can be a starter in this league. If you find the right quarterback, one you can groom, it can eitehr produce the following:

1.) You're future quarterback for when the guy you have now is either retired or let go to FA. If you have a quarterback waiting that is ready, you're not as pressured to give a big contract to a veteran guy. Kind of like Kevin Kolb now.
2.) You still keep your quarterback you have now, and this guy becomes an excellent trade chip that can yield a high draft pick.
3.) A failed experiment, start over again (see the Miami Dolphins).

There are huge benefits to be reaped from taking a quarterback, despite us having a solid solution in there now.

tornadospotter
03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
YouTube - Colin Kaepernick

Canada
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
i think we should give Brodie a chance

tornadospotter
03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
YouTube - Dooley Talks About Colin Kaepernick

I kinda like what I am seeing so far. Will be interesting if we take him in later rounds.

tornadospotter
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
i think we should give Brodie a chance
Who? Do you have some video of this guy. :efpge:

Three7s
03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Who? Do you have some video of this guy. :efpge:
How could he? Brody has been in the hospital since birth.

Canada
03-25-2011, 05:30 AM
How could he? Brody has been in the hospital since birth.:lol::lol::lol:

Seek
03-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Are they trying him out to be a Wr? All he does is run with it, and did not make any really impressive throws... He also isn't very big.

Ryfo18
03-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Are they trying him out to be a Wr? All he does is run with it, and did not make any really impressive throws... He also isn't very big.

I think he's like 6'5" 233 w/ real long arms. The stuff I've heard about him is that he's too mechanical right now, but has a lot of good intangibles that could make him a solid NFL QB.

Hayvern
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Agreed, I see a lot of running here, some throwing, but not much. I am guessing we are looking for a Tim Tebow type QB.

Seek
03-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I think he's like 6'5" 233 w/ real long arms. The stuff I've heard about him is that he's too mechanical right now, but has a lot of good intangibles that could make him a solid NFL QB.

If he is really 233, I am 275, because he looks like a WR.

Ryfo18
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
If he is really 233, I am 275, because he looks like a WR.

I was just going off what I heard, but here is his measurements from the Combine (6' 5", 233):

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Colin Kaepernick (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/colin-kaepernick?id=2495186)

chiefnut
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
i did not see a single play with him under center, he is a wild cat QB, not an nfl starting QB

tornadospotter
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
i did not see a single play with him under center, he is a wild cat QB, not an nfl starting QB
You are very correct, he is not a starting NFL QB! But he is an NFL caliber player, and could be worthy of a look or two, who knows, I see a play maker, I see a football player that is of intrest at QB, or any other position. :11:

Ryfo18
03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
You are very correct, he is not a starting NFL QB! But he is an NFL caliber player, and could be worthy of a look or two, who knows, I see a play maker, I see a football player that is of intrest at QB, or any other position. :11:

Exactly. He has excellent intangibles...strong arm, good feet, fairly accurate. He just needs some work as a backup so that he can improve his pocket presence.

Nothing anyone has said in this thread is incorrect about him, but that's the reason why he is not a 1st (or maybe even 2nd) round pick. He's not quite NFL-ready, but he has the skills to be successful in this league.

pojote
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Currently, we have 3 QB's, Cassel will be our starter next season and a few more at least.
Backup QB is (was) Croyle, FA if I'm right. And I don't think he will get an extension.
Palko was in the practice squad most of the season, maybe he will be awarded with a permanent promotion to the team.
Another development QB is an interesting idea, but I don't know if it's a need for the team.

chiefnut
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
if we draft this kid it would not be before the 5th round and i doubt if it would be as a backup for QB. more likely he would be like brad smith from the jets that is brought in as a wildcat option play 5 or 6 times a game. he rushed for 300yds and never threw a pass yet is listed as a QB on their roster.

Ryfo18
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
if we draft this kid it would not be before the 5th round and i doubt if it would be as a backup for QB. more likely he would be like brad smith from the jets that is brought in as a wildcat option play 5 or 6 times a game. he rushed for 300yds and never threw a pass yet is listed as a QB on their roster.

I don't know if that's a fair comparison...

Brad Smith QB rating (3 yrs w/ Missouri): 114.7, 110.7, 114.1

Colin Kaepernick QB rating (4 yrs w/ Nevada): 150.8, 132.1, 139.1, 150.5

Last year he completed 65% of his passes. He definitely has the upside to take in the 3rd/4th round.

chiefnut
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
there has not been much success in the nfl for spread offense shotgun QBs. not saying he wasn't a good college QB only that he will be considered more for his running ability first by the nfl scouts as was brad smith and will probably fill a similar role in the nfl. as for the CHIEFS he has virtually no experience in a pro style offense and we certainly do not seem to be ready to install the spread run and gun offense so i think he won't be getting drafted as the heir apparent to cassel. he may end up as such but i doubt if that would be what he would be drafted for.

Ryfo18
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
there has not been much success in the nfl for spread offense shotgun QBs. not saying he wasn't a good college QB only that he will be considered more for his running ability first by the nfl scouts as was brad smith and will probably fill a similar role in the nfl. as for the CHIEFS he has virtually no experience in a pro style offense and we certainly do not seem to be ready to install the spread run and gun offense so i think he won't be getting drafted as the heir apparent to cassel. he may end up as such but i doubt if that would be what he would be drafted for.

Here's why I disagree with the "not much success for spread offense shotgun QBs." Sam Bradford and Kevin Kolb seem to be doing ok. The fact of the matter is that most QB's don't succeed in the NFL. And for every spread QB that fails (Alex Smith), there's a pro-style offense QB that fails (Matt Leinart).

I believe you should draft a quarterback on talent. You can't coach talent. What can you coach? Mechanics. That's why when I see a guy like Kaepernick that is accurate, has a big arm, and is mobile, it's a tremendous skill set worth gambling on. Give him 3-4 years to develop his mechanics and you may have a guy that can take over your team by the time Cassel's contract is up. If you decide to resign Cassel, then you have an NFL ready quarterback behind him that you can use as a huge trade chip to acquire likely another 1st round pick.

I'm not saying that Kaepernick is a future starter, but he has the intangibles to be one given the time (and provided he has the motivation) to work on his mechanics. The Brodie Croyle experiment has run it's course...he's just not the answer at backup quarterback.

Seek
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't know if that's a fair comparison...

Brad Smith QB rating (3 yrs w/ Missouri): 114.7, 110.7, 114.1

Colin Kaepernick QB rating (4 yrs w/ Nevada): 150.8, 132.1, 139.1, 150.5

Last year he completed 65% of his passes. He definitely has the upside to take in the 3rd/4th round.

And Brad Smith plays WR in the NFL.

Instead of giving us a rating. Give us completion percentage and number of attempts. If you throw the ball 10 times, a game, to your RB in Screens, the Ratings are skewed. Specially since most teams are loading the box and expecting run.

Ryfo18
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
And Brad Smith plays WR in the NFL.

Instead of giving us a rating. Give us completion percentage and number of attempts. If you throw the ball 10 times, a game, to your RB in Screens, the Ratings are skewed. Specially since most teams are loading the box and expecting run.

His senior year he was 233/359 (64.9%, 28 passes/game) for 3022 yards (8.42 y/att), 21/8 TD/INT, and took 10 sacks in 13 games.

These stats are readily available for anyone interested in digging deeper.

Ryfo18
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Just read something cool about Kaepernick's arm strength. The guy threw a 94MPH fastball as a senior in high school. That's just nuts!

Mayock compares Colin Kaepernick to Tim Tebow | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mayock-compares-Colin-Kaepernick-to-Tim-Tebow.html)

chiefnut
04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Just read something cool about Kaepernick's arm strength. The guy threw a 94MPH fastball as a senior in high school. That's just nuts!

Mayock compares Colin Kaepernick to Tim Tebow | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mayock-compares-Colin-Kaepernick-to-Tim-Tebow.html)

different people can read the same thing differently, what caught my eye was "You could make a case that he's this year's Tim Tebow," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's a big, powerful kid who doesn't know what he's doing yet. He’s got a big arm, but he has mechanical issues.”
he is projected 2nd to 4th round which leaves alot of room for speculation. i know ryfo is really sold on this kid and if we do pick him up i hope ryfo is proved totally 100% correct in his assessment of this kid. although i do also hope that if he is wrong about him, we passed on him.

by the by..brad smith is not a WR he is listed as a QB for the jets although he does return kickoffs and punts and has been used to run out of the wildcat and did not throw a pass in 2010.

Ryfo18
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I like the guy...like his skills and upside. I don't think we should go reach for the guy in the 2nd round. I think there are other holes that would be better addressed in rounds 1-2. But if he's there when it comes to us in round 3, I certainly hope they pull the trigger and let this guy come in and work under Cassel and w/ the coaching staff for the next 3-4 years.

tdehoff
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm glad the Chiefs are looking at these guys. They all seem like they are better than Croyle and could potentially replace Cassel if necessary.

Chiefster
04-15-2011, 03:03 AM
We are definitely in need of a viable back up QB

Jrudi
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah I am happy we are going to look to bring in a young talented QB.

I think Cassel will man our ship for the next few years, but if you look at the good teams... they bring in QB's to succeed their starter's well before it's "to late"

Packers with Farve and Rogers, Pats are supposedly looking at a QB this year with a higher pick, Colts are looking to find a successor to Manning.

I hope in the next few years we are in a position that our team is pretty competitive across the board and we can afford to spend a late 1st or 2nd round pick on a stud QB to succeed Cassel. When teams wait until their starter is down and out, tends to not look as pretty when they are forced to take a QB.