PDA

View Full Version : Why I am a Chiefs Fan!

McLovin
09-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Ok here goes I wanted to follow a lead of someone I have a lot of respect for and make this post matter. This will be my 200th post and I wanted to make it different then a lot of the others.

Growing up I didn't watch NFL, through the years I saw Joe Montana and heard how great he was and called myself a 49ers fan, then I was a Bears fan during the SuperBowl shuffle, but then who wasn't. Sweetness just had that effect on people. But all in all I wasn't really a football fan, my parents never watched football and talked openly about how it was too violent and they didn't like it. It was drilled into my head that my family didn't watch football we watched baseball. I believed that till I moved to Kansas City.

I moved into Kansas City in 1991 to take a job at Domino's Pizza. Soon after I was with a friend at Fuddrucker's in Independence and saw two guys that were absolutely huge but very nice. At the time we didn't know who they were, the friend of mine went to a bar the next evening and found out that the two we met at Fuddrucker's were Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. This was my first encounter with the Chiefs. A couple weeks later I was in a sports bar, at the time I was playing darts and didn't notice but I was between the other people in the bar and the TV, I had heard there was a buzz in town about the playoffs, what I didn't know was that I was between a group of Chiefs fans and the playoff game. I was fortunate to leave there alive I believe but after three or four drinks, the game started and I was carded and asked to leave because I wasn't old enough to be in there. At that time I felt that there was some reason these fans were so emotional about a team. From that time on I looked into the Chiefs, I watched TV coverage of them, read about them and started watching some games. From this point I started being a fan. From there I am not really sure of the progression, but i did watch some of the playoffs that year, from there I watched a fair amount of games on TV but I didn't obsess if I had something going on or I had someone ask me to do something or even if I had to work I didn't worry about missing games.
I did during this time find out about what homefield advantage means Arrowhead style, the fact that Chiefs fans are so loud and very steadfast fans that are fans win or lose is one of the biggest reasons that I became a fan. I also consider the KC area the number one place I have ever lived and hope to someday (soon) be back. During this time I moved out of KC due to necessity and started to get a little older, I found out that once you moved out of KC there are still a fair number of Chiefs fans everywhere you go, I am always seeing people driving down the road with a Chiefs bumper sticker, a Chiefs license plate frame, or even a couple of spare tire covers on SUVs that bear the Chiefs logo. By far the biggest thing I have learned from moving though is that in IL the people in the TV stations could care less about the Chiefs, Here in town (Decatur IL) TV will show Bears games, Colts games, Sometimes STL games (didnt play the one against the Chiefs) other then that they would rather show tennis, golf, 49ers or Cowboys games or Pats or another team but it seems as if they would rather go off the air rather then show a Chiefs game. That is unless they are playing the Bears or another close team. Tomorrow instead of showing the Chargers - Chiefs game which could be one of the best games of the year because of the early struggles, the local affiliate will show the Broncos and Colts, I am guessing that this is due to the Colts winning the Super Bowl and all of the fair weather fans and was prolly done long before the year started but it still sux.

Last year I was so excited that the NFL network was going to show the Chiefs game on Thanksgiving. I got done with Thanksgiving dinner and settled in to watch the game. I got settled in and turned on the NFL network and saw that at the time the game was suppose to show they were showing one of the Super Bowl shows, I soon found out that the cable company didn't find these games worth paying the money for and were not going to air the different games from the NFL network. I ended up that night watching the Chiefs on a internet stream from England or somewhere like that. It was different and the commercials were amusing. But at least I got to watch my Chiefs. I am now looking for another way to stream the Chiefs because I dont get to see nearly enough of the games, and even though the play by play on the chat is great and the internet radio is Ok. It is much better to watch live.

I was miserable when the Chiefs allowed one of the best players ever Neil Smith to go to the Broncos. But at that time I was saying that .. at least we kept Derrick Thomas. Then I didn't leave the TV and was on the internet nonstop when Derrick got in his accident. I have a friend who is also paralyzed and in a wheelchair and all I could think of was maybe the reason for this happening is so that more attention will be brought to paralysis due to this and maybe that is the reason for the accident. It was in the top 5 saddest days of my life when I found out we lost Derrick. I still struggle to find the reasoning for this and the only thing I can think of is God must be a football fan and needed someone to make the sacks in heaven. I still miss him terribly as he was my favorite Chiefs player at the time of the accident and is now my all time favorite Chiefs player.

In conclusion, I am a Chiefs Fan one of a group of the best fans in the world. No matter what they say about our team, you always hear how hard it is to play at Arrowhead because it is so loud and the 12th man is always a part of the game. 13-3 or 3-13 I AM A CHIEFS FAN

Well I guess I have rambled on long enough I don't expect anyone to actually read all of this but I post whored number 100 and didn't want to do the same with 200. In the AM I will write up what I have seen and felt from this board from the first 200 posts.

Well it is now 3:15 AM Good Nite All .. lets beat those eggos.

sling58
09-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Ok here goes I wanted to follow a lead of someone I have a lot of respect for and make this post matter. This will be my 200th post and I wanted to make it different then a lot of the others.

Growing up I didn't watch NFL, through the years I saw Joe Montana and heard how great he was and called myself a 49ers fan, then I was a Bears fan during the SuperBowl shuffle, but then who wasn't. Sweetness just had that effect on people. But all in all I wasn't really a football fan, my parents never watched football and talked openly about how it was too violent and they didn't like it. It was drilled into my head that my family didn't watch football we watched baseball. I believed that till I moved to Kansas City.

I moved into Kansas City in 1991 to take a job at Domino's Pizza. Soon after I was with a friend at Fuddrucker's in Independence and saw two guys that were absolutely huge but very nice. At the time we didn't know who they were, the friend of mine went to a bar the next evening and found out that the two we met at Fuddrucker's were Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. This was my first encounter with the Chiefs. A couple weeks later I was in a sports bar, at the time I was playing darts and didn't notice but I was between the other people in the bar and the TV, I had heard there was a buzz in town about the playoffs, what I didn't know was that I was between a group of Chiefs fans and the playoff game. I was fortunate to leave there alive I believe but after three or four drinks, the game started and I was carded and asked to leave because I wasn't old enough to be in there. At that time I felt that there was some reason these fans were so emotional about a team. From that time on I looked into the Chiefs, I watched TV coverage of them, read about them and started watching some games. From this point I started being a fan. From there I am not really sure of the progression, but i did watch some of the playoffs that year, from there I watched a fair amount of games on TV but I didn't obsess if I had something going on or I had someone ask me to do something or even if I had to work I didn't worry about missing games.
I did during this time find out about what homefield advantage means Arrowhead style, the fact that Chiefs fans are so loud and very steadfast fans that are fans win or lose is one of the biggest reasons that I became a fan. I also consider the KC area the number one place I have ever lived and hope to someday (soon) be back. During this time I moved out of KC due to necessity and started to get a little older, I found out that once you moved out of KC there are still a fair number of Chiefs fans everywhere you go, I am always seeing people driving down the road with a Chiefs bumper sticker, a Chiefs license plate frame, or even a couple of spare tire covers on SUVs that bear the Chiefs logo. By far the biggest thing I have learned from moving though is that in IL the people in the TV stations could care less about the Chiefs, Here in town (Decatur IL) TV will show Bears games, Colts games, Sometimes STL games (didnt play the one against the Chiefs) other then that they would rather show tennis, golf, 49ers or Cowboys games or Pats or another team but it seems as if they would rather go off the air rather then show a Chiefs game. That is unless they are playing the Bears or another close team. Tomorrow instead of showing the Chargers - Chiefs game which could be one of the best games of the year because of the early struggles, the local affiliate will show the Broncos and Colts, I am guessing that this is due to the Colts winning the Super Bowl and all of the fair weather fans and was prolly done long before the year started but it still sux.

Last year I was so excited that the NFL network was going to show the Chiefs game on Thanksgiving. I got done with Thanksgiving dinner and settled in to watch the game. I got settled in and turned on the NFL network and saw that at the time the game was suppose to show they were showing one of the Super Bowl shows, I soon found out that the cable company didn't find these games worth paying the money for and were not going to air the different games from the NFL network. I ended up that night watching the Chiefs on a internet stream from England or somewhere like that. It was different and the commercials were amusing. But at least I got to watch my Chiefs. I am now looking for another way to stream the Chiefs because I dont get to see nearly enough of the games, and even though the play by play on the chat is great and the internet radio is Ok. It is much better to watch live.

I was miserable when the Chiefs allowed one of the best players ever Neil Smith to go to the Broncos. But at that time I was saying that .. at least we kept Derrick Thomas. Then I didn't leave the TV and was on the internet nonstop when Derrick got in his accident. I have a friend who is also paralyzed and in a wheelchair and all I could think of was maybe the reason for this happening is so that more attention will be brought to paralysis due to this and maybe that is the reason for the accident. It was in the top 5 saddest days of my life when I found out we lost Derrick. I still struggle to find the reasoning for this and the only thing I can think of is God must be a football fan and needed someone to make the sacks in heaven. I still miss him terribly as he was my favorite Chiefs player at the time of the accident and is now my all time favorite Chiefs player.

In conclusion, I am a Chiefs Fan one of a group of the best fans in the world. No matter what they say about our team, you always hear how hard it is to play at Arrowhead because it is so loud and the 12th man is always a part of the game. 13-3 or 3-13 I AM A CHIEFS FAN

Well I guess I have rambled on long enough I don't expect anyone to actually read all of this but I post whored number 100 and didn't want to do the same with 200. In the AM I will write up what I have seen and felt from this board from the first 200 posts.

Right there with ya!

Chiefster
10-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Sadly, too many times those among us that have shined so brightly are snuffed out entirely too soon; every year since the 1999 season just before the Super Bowl the mood for me is somber.

RIP DT!

sling58
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
The day DT passed was a very somber moment for the whole Chiefs Nation.

m0ef0e
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Well said. Glad to have you with us, brother!