PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Draft Needs

Ryfo18
04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Thought this was a solid read:

Source: Help Wanted: Kansas City Chiefs | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/21/help-wanted-kansas-city-chiefs/)

It was widely accepted that the Kansas City Chiefs would … well how to put this politely … suck, in 2010. They were young and a number of their recent draft picks were looking like busts. Throw in an offense that did nothing to inspire, and it seemed like a recipe for a long season with a lot of losses.

Only, as is often the case in the NFL, things didn’t work out as they were expected to. Behind a running scheme that opened up just enough room for Jamaal Charles to explode through, and a defense that allowed Tamba Hali to harass quarterbacks, the Chiefs got better.

A lot better.

Still, it wasn’t enough to prevent a Baltimore-sized beat down in the playoffs. So the Chiefs are going to need to take another step. Let’s look at how they can.
Outside Linebacker
There aren’t many teams as reliant on a pass rush as the Chiefs were with Tamba Hali. Sure they got production out of Wallace Gilberry in sub package defenses, but Hali was really the only guy they could count on. He finished the year as the most productive pass rusher in the league on a per snap basis and on a total pressures basis. He was fantastic and exploited any weaknesses in the opposition.

But you can’t be that dependent on one guy. What happens if he gets injured or suffers a loss in form? With him would go the Chiefs ability to get to the quarterback from the edge because neither Mike Vrabel or Andy Studebaker were up to much when it came to generating pressure. The Chiefs need the kind of do it all outside linebacker that can drop into coverage and play the run as well as getting to the quarterback, with Hali himself so one dimensional you need someone to compensate.

It won’t be easy finding a James Harrison clone, but if they could find someone in a similar mold, it could be the missing component for this already young defense to advance further.

Offensive Tackle
The Chiefs look pretty committed to going with a game managing quarterback in the shape of Matt Cassel. But with Cassel being a limited player, he needs to be put in a position to win. That means giving him ample time to make the right throws, while riding their running game to wins.

Unfortunately, as it stands, the Chiefs don’t have the tackles to do that. You only need to look at Cassel when faced with pressure (his completion percentage drops by 20.9%, yards per attempt drops by 1.8 yards and his TD to interception ratio falls from 20:5 to 7:5.) So having Brandon Albert continually struggle at left tackle (-9.9 pass blocking rating) and Barry Richardson not impressing at right tackle (-13.8 pass blocking rating) isn’t part of a formula that will see Cassel succeed.

Both men are decent run blockers, but the Chiefs won’t get better if they match the 86 total quarterback disruptions that the tackles gave up in 2010. It should be noted, and this is why outside linebacker is the priority, that you take away Alberts’ worst game (week 17 when the Chiefs had little to play for against Oakland) he would have ended up with positive rating on the year. Over his three years in the league you feel he has done enough to earn another chance. It’s still an area to look at (especially on the right side), but it’s one the Chiefs can shift their primary focus from.

Wide Receiver
It may seem an odd need on the surface. Dwayne Bowe had a very productive year and Dexter McCluter displayed some intrigue and versatility that Todd Haley is bound to love. But, for a team that uses a many different looks, they need depth at the wide receiver position, otherwise they’ll be overly reliant on Bowe. That may not be a problem if he plays like he did for most of 2010, but what if the notoriously inconsistent Bowe reverts to being the player we’ve seen all too often?

We’ve already mentioned you need to make it easier for Cassel, and having an inconsistent top target supported by a cast of unproven players doesn’t seem like a way to do that. The need is there, but again, it’s just not as strong as finding an every down outside linebacker to pair with Hali. Bowe has done enough to justify faith in him, while Verran Tucker and Dexter McCluster both had their moments as rookies. If you can find a fitting part mid-to-late, then that would work. But right now the Chiefs should be looking at a stacked class of pass rushers and drooling.

hometeam
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
they left out an all pro NT :P

jwill 747
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
aldon smith or justin houston is who i hope they take... trading out might be ok if they can replicate last years draft success and utilize some extra picks

whatwasthat?
04-21-2011, 11:39 PM
i think WR and OLB are pretty equal when it comes to how big of a need these postions are for us

kcnation
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
i think WR and OLB are pretty equal when it comes to how big of a need these postions are for us

i agree,we were exposed this season across the middle with short passes which resulted in big gains or 3rd and 10 1st downs.that just can't happen to be successful'

also we need another top wide out,we need another reliable threat so we can utilize the whole field on offense.our running game is solid so all we need is another burnner and we will be someone to contend with week in and week out

tony moeaki is going to be a solid tight end,very impressive last year

matthewschiefs
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
My needs for this team is

1 WR Someone to go with Bowe. Bowe is good could be great but he does seem to take games off at times.
1b Any pass rusher outside of Hali it's a must. They have to be better getting after the QB. Either one of these spots taken in the 1st round I will be happy.
Close 2 O LINE both to help get it better then last season and depth are needed.

Those are the 3 biggest needs for this team right now. I can't wait to see what happens in the draft.

Chiefster
04-23-2011, 06:37 AM
O-line.

OPLookn
04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
O-line.

Agreed! We are one big injury away from having 16 that look like the last 2 weeks of the season! Anyone can catch the ball but as the statistics have pointed out if Cassel doesn't have time who cares how good our receivers are. Not to mention if we go OLB if the same injury happens I hope that OLB can' play about 48 minutes of defense.

Subversion
04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Endorsed.
Same exact thought process as myself. I'm glad we addressed our safety need last year (even though several people on here were BEGGING for OL)

I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed Jurrell Casey late. He will be a huge value pick at DT and I don't think we should let 2 former top 10 picks go to waste on the ends. Although, he's starting to get some more attention as of recent.

chief31
04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
O-line.

Ed Zachary!

Endorsed.
Same exact thought process as myself. I'm glad we addressed our safety need last year (even though several people on here were BEGGING for OL)

That'd be me.

And, while I think Eric Berry is terrific, I would still take Okung today.

LOT is a far more important position, as well as a far more difficult position to fill, than Safety.

Been begging for a legit LOT for five years now. No reason to think that The Chiefs are going to bother to fix that problem for another year though.

Just more wishful thinking.

pbatrucker
04-26-2011, 07:27 AM
BJ Rahji instead of Jackson would have been great too!

Ryfo18
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Ugh....don't remind me

70 chiefsfan70
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Yep, Raji is turning out to be a dream......But in the coachings defense its always easier to see it later. I think 90% of all football fans are still thinking wtf. What a missed opportunity!

70 chiefsfan70
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
We have lots of needs, this may be a year of drafting value. But what I would like to see, in this order: Best pass rusher in the LB position, WR, NT, OL, G, ILB, WR, QB, and RB, That still will not fill our holes, I think like several here have mentioned, we should trade our #21 to later in the first round and pick up an extra 2nd rounder. At least one of the three, Houston, Ayers or Aldon Smith, possibly even NT Taylor should be there in the late first. Lets not pass up value in OL, NT, WR, QB. Not having free agency sucks.

Jrudi
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Agreed! We are one big injury away from having 16 that look like the last 2 weeks of the season! Anyone can catch the ball but as the statistics have pointed out if Cassel doesn't have time who cares how good our receivers are. Not to mention if we go OLB if the same injury happens I hope that OLB can' play about 48 minutes of defense.

Exibit A: Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

- These two elite receivers and Kurt Warner should get credit for Arizona making it to the Super Bowl a few years ago. That line was nothing to brag about... A high draft pick LT that was a bust and now plays RT I think, no Run game, and a middle of the road D. That core of Receivers allowed the offense to spread out the D and create space to work with, helping keep Warner's backside clean. Haley's done it once, I think he can do it again with the right talent.

I'm not saying this is the proper way to build a team, but it has been shown that 2 legit WR's and a strong supporting cast of receivers behind them can create space and relieve pressure on the QB. I do think the O-line is an issue that should be Addressed, but I also think that WR2 and OLB are a more pressing need at this current point in time.

Chris Chambers, Verran Tucker, Terrance Copper, Bobby Wade, Jeremy Urban, Lance Long, Amani Toomer, Mark Bradley, and Bobby Engram have all proven that not just ANYONE can catch the ball.

We've struck out enough times with players trying to fill a hole, it's time to develop our own guy at the WR2 position. (Round 2, no one worthy of our 21st pick will be available.)

OPLookn
04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Exibit A: Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

- These two elite receivers and Kurt Warner should get credit for Arizona making it to the Super Bowl a few years ago. That line was nothing to brag about... A high draft pick LT that was a bust and now plays RT I think, no Run game, and a middle of the road D. That core of Receivers allowed the offense to spread out the D and create space to work with, helping keep Warner's backside clean. Haley's done it once, I think he can do it again with the right talent.

I'm not saying this is the proper way to build a team, but it has been shown that 2 legit WR's and a strong supporting cast of receivers behind them can create space and relieve pressure on the QB. I do think the O-line is an issue that should be Addressed, but I also think that WR2 and OLB are a more pressing need at this current point in time.

Chris Chambers, Verran Tucker, Terrance Copper, Bobby Wade, Jeremy Urban, Lance Long, Amani Toomer, Mark Bradley, and Bobby Engram have all proven that not just ANYONE can catch the ball.

We've struck out enough times with players trying to fill a hole, it's time to develop our own guy at the WR2 position. (Round 2, no one worthy of our 21st pick will be available.)

I would agree with this to a point. Those two together are the exception not the rule. Would it be nice to have something like that here absolutely. But it's much more likely that drafted receivers bust than work out. So if we are going to do that then lets do it thru free agency.

The flip side of that coin is that I remember when the O-Line looked like the Hoover dam and Cassel was exceptional and the receivers caught the ball and we moved the ball.

It comes down to fundamental differences in beliefs. You believe that receivers are the key and I want a big bad O-Line that would keep anyone out and give Cassel all day to throw to. At that point you truly can have any old WR to catch the ball since with enough time almost anyone can get open. Well...except me, I'm so old and slow the CB's could jog while I sprint.

Jrudi
04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I would agree with this to a point. Those two together are the exception not the rule. Would it be nice to have something like that here absolutely. But it's much more likely that drafted receivers bust than work out. So if we are going to do that then lets do it thru free agency.

The flip side of that coin is that I remember when the O-Line looked like the Hoover dam and Cassel was exceptional and the receivers caught the ball and we moved the ball.

It comes down to fundamental differences in beliefs. You believe that receivers are the key and I want a big bad O-Line that would keep anyone out and give Cassel all day to throw to. At that point you truly can have any old WR to catch the ball since with enough time almost anyone can get open. Well...except me, I'm so old and slow the CB's could jog while I sprint.

And I see your point, I was merely just implying that there's a million ways to build a championship team. I want to upgrade our O-line no doubt about it. Do I think that it is our #1 need of the offseason? no, but I do see it as a need. I really think they will address depth this year looking to develop an o-lineman (Like say Marcus Gilbert OT in round 4), give Albert, and Richardson another year, and then if we are in need next year, Draft a starting Lineman where needed.

I think they are targeting Akeem Ayer's to help out our mid level pass coverage (so TE's like Todd Heap can't destroy us like last year) and pass rush opposite Tamba (Without Hali, there's no potential elite pass rusher, we've got Studebaker and Gilberry, but they are more situational pass rushers), but if for some reason the card's fall different, we trade back, or he's not there, I could see us taking O-line as our 2nd 1st round option; and address WR2 in round 2.

OPLookn
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
And I see your point, I was merely just implying that there's a million ways to build a championship team. I want to upgrade our O-line no doubt about it. Do I think that it is our #1 need of the offseason? no, but I do see it as a need. I really think they will address depth this year looking to develop an o-lineman (Like say Marcus Gilbert OT in round 4), give Albert, and Richardson another year, and then if we are in need next year, Draft a starting Lineman where needed.

I think they are targeting Akeem Ayer's to help out our mid level pass coverage (so TE's like Todd Heap can't destroy us like last year) and pass rush opposite Tamba (Without Hali, there's no potential elite pass rusher, we've got Studebaker and Gilberry, but they are more situational pass rushers), but if for some reason the card's fall different, we trade back, or he's not there, I could see us taking O-line as our 2nd 1st round option; and address WR2 in round 2.

Ugh...that man's name is still a four letter word to me. I got so sick of hearing his name while watching that game. If for any other reason that I wouldn't have to hear about a TE burning us the way he did I'd draft a dozen Akeem Ayers and neglect my beloved O-Line that I scream needs upgraded.

Jrudi
04-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Ugh...that man's name is still a four letter word to me. I got so sick of hearing his name while watching that game. If for any other reason that I wouldn't have to hear about a TE burning us the way he did I'd draft a dozen Akeem Ayers and neglect my beloved O-Line that I scream needs upgraded.

Haha...I've got you to share my vision.

The nightmares I had of Todd heap is why I think they will go with someone like Ayers. Others like Justin Houston I have hear, are more of a "one trick pony" or basically just help pass rush and can't cover as well. Ayer's is athletic enough to stay on the field at all times.

The o-line will be upgraded as well in this draft though..