PDA

View Full Version : Jon Baldwin

Ardac
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm pumped about having someone on ye other side of Bowe. But reading this article, I hope it's a homerun and not a bust. What's your thoughts?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/2/1/1964982/2011-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-jonathan-baldwin-wr-pittsburgh

Coach
04-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I was at the draft tonight. KC's pick did not inspire the crowd. Crickets actually. I'm not shocked that we took a WR in the 1st rd since there was no free agency an it was our single biggest need. The positive is that we gained an early 3rd rounder. I won't be shocked if we draft at least 1 more WR. We also will take a qb with one of those 3rd rd picks. In Pioli I trust.

Ryfo18
04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Why I love this pick:

We get arguably the 3rd most talented WR in the draft, below the two without a doubt top WR picks in Green and Jones. We had a huge need for WR, just look at the playoff game against the Ravens.

I look across the board at this team, and can without a doubt say that WR is the #1 need, NT a close second, and interior offensive line 3rd. Pioli acquired an extra fairly early pick (#70) to move down 6 spots. Given his track record just last year of finding guys in the mid rounds (namely Moeaki, Asamoah, Arenas), I'm even more excited that we are going to pick up some solid players in the rounds to come to fill these holes. With 3 of the next 50 picks, just imagine what we'll bring in...Can't wait.

Surely we solidify OL needs w/ one of these 3 picks, then maybe look to a guy like Fua or Paea for NT.

But in the end, look at the team last year...We have one of the best rushing attacks and a stud in Dwayne Bowe. Add in another WR threat in Baldwin, factor in McCluster and Moeaki...This offense is built to score points. The O-line as it stands now is pretty solid, and we figure to add in some competition in these middle rounds.

On defense Romeo has turned a lot of players into studs. Let's not give up on Tyson Jackson, who I really hope turns the corner like Dorsey and Derrick Johnson did this year. We still need a NT w/ Ron Edwards maybe out of the picture, but there is still some talent out there.

I'M PUMPED AFTER ONE PICK!

Three7s
04-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Why I love this pick:

We get arguably the 3rd most talented WR in the draft, below the two without a doubt top WR picks in Green and Jones. We had a huge need for WR, just look at the playoff game against the Ravens.

I look across the board at this team, and can without a doubt say that WR is the #1 need, NT a close second, and interior offensive line 3rd. Pioli acquired an extra fairly early pick (#70) to move down 6 spots. Given his track record just last year of finding guys in the mid rounds (namely Moeaki, Asamoah, Arenas), I'm even more excited that we are going to pick up some solid players in the rounds to come to fill these holes. With 3 of the next 50 picks, just imagine what we'll bring in...Can't wait.

Surely we solidify OL needs w/ one of these 3 picks, then maybe look to a guy like Fua or Paea for NT.

But in the end, look at the team last year...We have one of the best rushing attacks and a stud in Dwayne Bowe. Add in another WR threat in Baldwin, factor in McCluster and Moeaki...This offense is built to score points. The O-line as it stands now is pretty solid, and we figure to add in some competition in these middle rounds.

On defense Romeo has turned a lot of players into studs. Let's not give up on Tyson Jackson, who I really hope turns the corner like Dorsey and Derrick Johnson did this year. We still need a NT w/ Ron Edwards maybe out of the picture, but there is still some talent out there.

I'M PUMPED AFTER ONE PICK!
As usual, some will argue that we should've gotten Carimi or some OT, but oh well.

Jrudi
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I thought we were going to go with Ayer's but hey I'm not complaining about Baldwin!

He does add a much needed aspect to our offense, his potential is through the roof from what I have heard. Another thing that Haley probably likes about him is that He rarely drops balls. The only knocks I have heard is that he tends to be lazy and take off plays when he knows it's not coming his way, and he had a disorderly conduct charge in 2009 (for the area he grew up in, to only have 1 thing on his record is a good thing haha) kinda sounds like Dewayne Bowe to me.

I have a feeling that Haley and Pioli will set this guy down and say listen here: Look at my Resume with WR's (Bowe, Fitz, Boldin, Terry Glen, TO, Marty Booker... all had career years under Haley's watch) I can help make you a superstar WR in this league if you buy into what I am trying to teach you. I expect you to listen and work at the things I ask of you, and I promise you will see success, if you decide to not listen you can remain an average WR and only achieve minimal success in this league. We want to win a championship and feel that if we get you to produce what we feel you are capable of, we should have no problem getting there.

I actually heard we were trying to trade back again, but with the trade going on between Baltimore and Chicago the Chiefs were unsure if a team was looking to grab Baldwin and he was the top guy left on our board.

Lazeye
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I think Baldwin will become our main WR cause he has alot to prove and Bowe will get alittle better. I dont care who we pick anymore cause Pioli is the man, I would like to go to Vegas with his skills and play some cards...lol. I now see why NE was so good for so many years other than coaching, Solid Draft Picks!

figcrostic
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm stoked! I've love huge WR's that with great verticals. I also would have like Carimi, but we can get a solid guy in the second round.

Seek
04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
As usual, some will argue that we should've gotten Carimi or some OT, but oh well.

I would have loved an OT. But, I also think we can find great talent for the O-line in the 2nd or 3rd, specially if they are looking at Center or Guard. The trade back to get the early 3rd, now opens the door to fill one of those voids.

Plus this WR can be a star. From I have read, it is just a matters of what is between his ears. There is quetions about his work ethic. if he works at it but he has the tools.

GarH
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I've read reviews that says he does drop easy balls and reviews that say he doesn't drop many, so I'll have to wait and see on that. Almost every review I've read said he the potential to be special. There are questions about his character but Pioli usually is concerned about that so I would guess that Pioli thinks that won't be a problem. He certainly has the physical tools to be what we need. Time will tell how good he is .

honda522
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I think we could of had this guy in the second or third. There was no real outstanding player that I felt we needed to draft..hopefully we will get some offensive line in there in the next few rounds.

rosefour
04-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Love him. Watched him play for Pitt. Hope it's nice come game time.................

chief31
04-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Well, I am disapointed that we seem to have made a major reach with our first round pick, and again opted to leave the undewhelming OTs as-is (pending the FA period).

But there really is no questioning that it addresses a major need, and, in my opinion, our single biggest positional need at WR.

And I REALLY liked the rest of our draft to this point.

Not sure what the plan is for the DE. But the LB was a fabulous bargain in the third round. Just hope the character concerns are all under control, and/or over-rated.

And I really like that we seem to have taken a serious stab at manning the C spot along the O-line. (At least I HOPE he plays C. We are already pretty heavy on OGs.)

I would have preferred a guy to compete at both OT spots in the first.

But this draft is the easiest to swallow since Vermiel and Roaf left us.

I don't think there is anything that could go so wrong in the remaining couple of rounds to make me not like this draft.

AussieChiefsFan
04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Well, I am disapointed that we seem to have made a major reach with our first round pick, and again opted to leave the undewhelming OTs as-is (pending the FA period).

But there really is no questioning that it addresses a major need, and, in my opinion, our single biggest positional need at WR.

And I REALLY liked the rest of our draft to this point.

Not sure what the plan is for the DE. But the LB was a fabulous bargain in the third round. Just hope the character concerns are all under control, and/or over-rated.

And I really like that we seem to have taken a serious stab at manning the C spot along the O-line. (At least I HOPE he plays C. We are already pretty heavy on OGs.)

I would have preferred a guy to compete at both OT spots in the first.

But this draft is the easiest to swallow since Vermiel and Roaf left us.

I don't think there is anything that could go so wrong in the remaining couple of rounds to make me not like this draft.
I Completely agree

Coach
04-30-2011, 08:00 AM
I agree that Baldwin was a reach at the spot we took him. But reaching to fill our biggest area of need is somewhat acceptable. He wouldn't have been there when we picked again in the 2nd rd. Rumors are that the chiefs wanted to trade down but couldn't find any willing partners. I also think the frenzy of the ravens missing their pick impacted our ability to trade out of the spot.

Seek
04-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Not sure about the reach comments. Rumor has it the Bears tried to trade up with Baltimore and had the deal done, in efforts pick Baldwin before the Chiefs did. The trade deal was a done deal but not given to the NFL in time so the 26th pick expired before a selections. The Chiefs supposedly turned their pick in immediately once this happened, to make sure they got Baldwin before that 26th confusion didn't get cleared up.

He was projected to go 29th to the Bears, but the Chiefs trading back, complicated that for the Bears.

While is a rumor and no one will ever confirm it to save face, but I believe he was going 26th either to the Bears or the Chiefs, so it wasn't a reach.

OPLookn
04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Not sure about the reach comments. Rumor has it the Bears tried to trade up with Baltimore and had the deal done, in efforts pick Baldwin before the Chiefs did. The trade deal was a done deal but not given to the NFL in time so the 26th pick expired before a selections. The Chiefs supposedly turned their pick in immediately once this happened, to make sure they got Baldwin before that 26th confusion didn't get cleared up.

He was projected to go 29th to the Bears, but the Chiefs trading back, complicated that for the Bears.

While is a rumor and no one will ever confirm it to save face, but I believe he was going 26th either to the Bears or the Chiefs, so it wasn't a reach.

There's an insider story on ESPN about this that I'd be really curious to see. Does anyone have insider access? The headline is "Ravens-Bears trade snafu fallout" and the blurb says "Will league force second-round trade?". So I'd be really curious if that was what you were referring to.

Jrudi
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Pretty sure this is right. Read a quote from Pioli saying that they acutally did have suitors calling to trade up, but when the whole Bears-Ravens fiasco went down, it made Pioli pull the trigger ASAP on him to ensure that we got him.

You gotta realize too, he was projected as an early 2nd round pick 33-40, pick 26 was only 7 picks away from the 2nd round.... not much of a reach. Now if he was projected to be there for us in round 2 (which I never saw a mock that had him available a 55) then I would be more upset, but I think he's got alot of upside and it will be nasty if Haley gets the production out of him and Bowe that Haley has been known for.

Ryfo18
05-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Baldwin was pretty much the consensus 3rd best WR in the draft, so I don't think it's a huge reach. IMO he probably wouldn't have made it past Cleveland in round 2, if not sooner. I imagine the Packers might have thought about him too w/ Driver being a dinosaur and Jones an impending FA.

Jrudi
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Baldwin was pretty much the consensus 3rd best WR in the draft, so I don't think it's a huge reach. IMO he probably wouldn't have made it past Cleveland in round 2, if not sooner. I imagine the Packers might have thought about him too w/ Driver being a dinosaur and Jones an impending FA.

They actually did take Randall Cobb in round 2 I believe, so this was actually a possibility.

Coach
05-07-2011, 08:21 AM
There's an insider story on ESPN about this that I'd be really curious to see. Does anyone have insider access? The headline is "Ravens-Bears trade snafu fallout" and the blurb says "Will league force second-round trade?". So I'd be really curious if that was what you were referring to.

I went to the draft this year. Teams like Baltimore that took the entire 10 minutes and then didn't even make a trade were annoying as hell. Cowboys did the same thing, no surprise there. They need to shorten the clock in the 1st round. It was pretty funny to see Baltimore/KC scurrying to get the pick in. I really had no idea who they were going to take. Evryone they were targeting was still on the board at 21. By pick 26, 2-3 players on the Chiefs board were gone.

All that said, this was the best draft on paper I have seen the Chiefs have in a long time. Better than last year's draft class on paper. Last year, I remember several people on this forum screaming about how bad the draft went. Last year's class turned out to be great, but it wasn't great on paper. It didn't fill many of our positions of need. This year's draft class seems to be better, let's hope they live up to the billing. If the 2011 class is as good as the '10 class, then there will be a new powerhouse in the AFC West.

70 chiefsfan70
05-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Indeed this is an awesome looking draft on paper. There is sooo much talent and tremendous value in this new group. I think its easier to draft value, in the last half the round than in the first half. Say from from 15 thru 32 vs, 1st thru 15. But anyone that can come up with both Baldwin and Houston with pick #21 is just plain SUPER in my book. Both these guys have awesome talent and are players of GREAT need.

With the leaders we drafted last year we should be a solid team. I believe we can all say, good things are to come.

chiefnut
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
one said he has trouble getting off the line but rarely drops easy passes
the other said he gets off the line quickly but drops easy passes

i guess i'll just wait and see for myself, with haleys track record on receivers i expect he'll turn out great.

Coach
05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
But anyone that can come up with both Baldwin and Houston with pick #21 is just plain SUPER in my book. Both these guys have awesome talent and are players of GREAT need.

This is exactly the way everyone should look at the Baldwin pick. Even if Baldwin could have been taken in the 2nd round we still got tremendous value for the #21 pick in this draft. I might quote you on the front page.

KCChiefs2010
05-23-2011, 01:07 AM
He can own up CB but he has to focus. Haley better set him straight right off the bat. He can spell trouble if not corrected.

#58ChiefsFan
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Knowing he is in KC and working with Cassel has me excited about this guy.

With Haley and his track record of WR's I think Baldwin is going to be a solid contributor this year once they actually get to coach him. Cassel will certainly help that learing curve, be nice to see Bowe get involved "unofficially" working with him as well.

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
This is exactly the way everyone should look at the Baldwin pick. Even if Baldwin could have been taken in the 2nd round we still got tremendous value for the #21 pick in this draft. I might quote you on the front page.

Yep.

You got TWO first round talents out of your #21 pick. For both Baldwin and Houston, talent was not what kept them out of first round mocks.