PDA

View Full Version : FYI: 5 technique expained

chiefnut
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
i understood A gap, B gap, 3-4 D and 4-3 D, etc.. but i wasn't totally clear on 3 technique vs 5 technique so i looked it up

A (zero technique) would mean a nose tackle aligned nose-to-nose with a center.
(1 technique) the defensive lineman is line up in the middle of the A gap.
(2 technique) defensive lineman is nose-to-nose with the offensive guard.
(3 technique) defensive lineman is line up in the middle of the B gap or outside shade of the guard. He is responsible for maintaining outside leverage and not letting himself get hook or reached blocked by the offense.
(4 technique) defensive lineman is line up nose-to-nose with the offensive tackle.
(5 technique) meant that the defensive lineman had his nose on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle.
(6 technique) was nose-to-nose with the offensive tight end.
(7 technique) meant the defensive lineman had his nose on the inside shoulder of the offensive tight end.
(8 technique) meant that the defensive lineman was aligned on air outside the outside shoulder of the offensive tight end.
(9 technique) meant that the defensive lineman has his nose on the outside shoulder of the offensive tight end.

by jove i think i've got it!!:bananen_smilies046:

Coach
05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for posting. This kind if stuff isnt explained on tv so unless you played football you probably won't have seen it before. We should also post other lingo in this thread like will, sam, thumper, etc. Maybe I will create a page with football lingo on it and add it to the nav bar.

chiefnut
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
great idea!!

Canada
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for posting. This kind if stuff isnt explained on tv so unless you played football you probably won't have seen it before. We should also post other lingo in this thread like will, sam, thumper, etc. Maybe I will create a page with football lingo on it and add it to the nav bar.You know what else would be good??

A map of Chiefs fans around the WORLD!! :sFl_canada2:

Coach
05-06-2011, 08:51 AM
You know what else would be good??

A map of Chiefs fans around the WORLD!! :sFl_canada2:

Real Chiefs fans live in the US.

Canada
05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Real Chiefs fans live in the US.

Real Chiefs fans are tattooed.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/05/2.jpg

Ryfo18
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
If you ever hear "21 Personnel" or "22 Personnel" or "12 Personnel", then someone is talking about the offensive alignment.

The first number is the number of running backs in the formation, the second number is the number of tight ends in the formation. From that you can determine the number of WR's out there. With 5 lineman, and a QB, there is room for 5 more players.

So 22 personnel - 2 RB's, 2 TE's and 1 WR
12 Personnel - 1 RB, 2 TE's, and 2 WR's

I'll post some more fun stuff...Maybe this thread is a sticky?

chiefnut
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
great stuff, keep it comming

N TX Dave
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
If you ever hear "21 Personnel" or "22 Personnel" or "12 Personnel", then someone is talking about the offensive alignment.

The first number is the number of running backs in the formation, the second number is the number of tight ends in the formation. From that you can determine the number of WR's out there. With 5 lineman, and a QB, there is room for 5 more players.

So 22 personnel - 2 RB's, 2 TE's and 1 WR
12 Personnel - 1 RB, 2 TE's, and 2 WR's

I'll post some more fun stuff...Maybe this thread is a sticky?

Never heard that when I was playing but back in the 60's doubt they had it. Do they have a 10 - 1 RB, 0 TE and 4 WR? What do they call an empty backfield just say a 2 if they had 2 TE?

Ryfo18
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Never heard that when I was playing but back in the 60's doubt they had it. Do they have a 10 - 1 RB, 0 TE and 4 WR? What do they call an empty backfield just say a 2 if they had 2 TE?

Yep all those exist, for any combination you want...0 personnel (5 wr's), 20 personnel (2 rb, 3 wr's), 2 personnel (2 te's 3 wr's, though that seems rare), etc.