PDA

View Full Version : Rumors from sources say lockout is over >>>

Connie Jo
06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Rumors from sources, so please take them as that: 'players have been notified in some way the lockout is basically over, just a matter of legal formality to make it official. Chiefs players are currently making plans for return to KC, some employee's of Arrowhead have been notified players will be accessing training facility & stadium soon.'

Chiefster
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Here's the latest from NFL.com:

According to sources, both the NFL and NFL Players Association are evaluating and strongly considering concessions on all fronts, and that has led to a belief that a deal could be done in two to four weeks. In a sign of the progress made, the legal teams on both sides have returned to the meetings, after sitting out the sessions in suburban Chicago and Long Island. N.Y. the past two weeks...

NFL.com news: Optimism over new deal emerging from latest round of talks (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82050114/article/optimism-over-new-deal-emerging-from-latest-round-of-talks?module=HP_headlines)

Connie Jo
06-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Here's the latest from NFL.com:

NFL.com news: Optimism over new deal emerging from latest round of talks (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82050114/article/optimism-over-new-deal-emerging-from-latest-round-of-talks?module=HP_headlines)

My sources are somewhat 'behind the scenes', which is why I classify them as rumors, but most are fairly reliable I think. Also, some friends are following NFL player comments on Twitter. Many Chiefs players are now saying they're having to cancel vacation and other plans, because of being expected to return to KC for training & camp. Also, some stadium employee's are being told to report to work, but the date hasn't been mentioned in 'leaks'.

I don't think the NFL as a matter of professionalism & legality...will make any official statements to the media claiming it's over until all t's are crossed & i's dotted. Anyway, many indicator's are pointing in the direction it's over, other than the formal legalities & official announcements.

matthewschiefs
06-15-2011, 12:51 AM
I think it's pretty clear we are going to have a season. The talks coming from both sides are starting to seem better and better

Connie Jo
06-15-2011, 01:04 AM
I never doubted we'd have a season...gut feeling I suppose most of all, but for other reasons also. Too many self benefiting factor's tipped the scales in favor of having a season for both sides. It's only went on this long because of a handful of ego's at the helm on both sides, including their attorney's. I don't believe the majority of owners & players ever expected, nor wanted it to go as far as it did. The quiet majority began to involve themselves behind the scenes & speak to the egotistical minority preventing resolution. The majority will rule. :)

Yoda
06-15-2011, 01:05 AM
It could still take another week or two to finalize all this. If I remember right, that was the time table. All in all, good news.

Connie Jo
06-15-2011, 02:10 AM
It could still take another week or two to finalize all this. If I remember right, that was the time table. All in all, good news.

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of finalizing the legal contractural aspects, but other than that it's over, just not 'officially' over yet.

Seek
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
They were saying this morning on the radio that discussion yesterday got a little heated, and almost forced them to go back to square one, However, the player reps, stayed collected and bit the bullet and didn't let it blow up.

The Chiefs are practicing this week, with Cassel heading up the practices. They are letting the media come to the last session today to ask questions.

matthewschiefs
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
They were saying this morning on the radio that discussion yesterday got a little heated, and almost forced them to go back to square one, However, the player reps, stayed collected and bit the bullet and didn't let it blow up.

The Chiefs are practicing this week, with Cassel heading up the practices. They are letting the media come to the last session today to ask questions.

Things were going so well till they got the lawyers back in it.

#58ChiefsFan
06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
^^^ Nice signature photo ^^^

Connie Jo
06-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Things were going so well till they got the lawyers back in it.

Understandable, considering the longer the attorney's on both sides can drag it out, the more money they'll be paid, and valuable publicity received in the media for the attorney's also. Other than my own attorney...I don't trust attorney's, lol.

Chiefster
06-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Understandable, considering the longer the attorney's on both sides can drag it out, the more money they'll be paid, and valuable publicity received in the media for the attorney's also. Other than my own attorney...I don't trust attorney's, lol.

I think a bus load of attorneys going off a cliff is a good start; the same can be said of politicians as well.

Seek
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
ESPN was showing on Friday night that the Owners are very reluctant to agree to the deal that is proposed.

buffman316
06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I heard that the rumor is untrue, but hopefully this can be worked out before July 4. Free Agency would be the most exciting in years with such a short time span.

Seek
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Not only are the owners working out the CBA with the players, but there is also a division between the owners as well. There is a divisions between the large market teams and the small market teams. The lock out will not be ended until all three sides can agree as the divisions between owners will affect Free agency and salary caps...

AkChief49
06-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Not only are the owners working out the CBA with the players, but there is also a division between the owners as well. There is a divisions between the large market teams and the small market teams. The lock out will not be ended until all three sides can agree as the divisions between owners will affect Free agency and salary caps...
hopefully not enough to stall this thing. I believe they need 9 owners to derail anything

#58ChiefsFan
06-22-2011, 08:07 AM
The 52-48 revenue split should be a done deal, the 18 game season has got to go IMO. 48% of the revenue should be enough for a healthcare plan, I think 90% of them are overpaid anyway.

Hayvern
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
The 52-48 revenue split should be a done deal, the 18 game season has got to go IMO. 48% of the revenue should be enough for a healthcare plan, I think 90% of them are overpaid anyway.

52 - 48 revenue split, owners will be required to spend at least 90% of the cap, and another regular season game will be added.

That is my prediction.

I think the biggest sticking point right now is the loss of the 1 billion in revenue.

Canada
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Chiefs Tell St. Joe To Prepare For Training Camp - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/6/23/2238979/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp)

Seek
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
52 - 48 revenue split, owners will be required to spend at least 90% of the cap, and another regular season game will be added.

That is my prediction.

I think the biggest sticking point right now is the loss of the 1 billion in revenue.

Players are dead set on not expanding the regular season. That is one thing that I consistently hear them say is the last thing they want.

So far, everything I have heard, which is being leaked out in error, sounds good.

I am just concerned if some of the owners are not liking the 90% Floor on Salary Cap. Specificaly Clark Hunt. This in the long run could hurt the Chiefs, because he was well below the cap a couple years. He is going to to have to make up the cost somewhere, and I bet I know where and I won't like it.

Hayvern
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Players are dead set on not expanding the regular season. That is one thing that I consistently hear them say is the last thing they want.

So far, everything I have heard, which is being leaked out in error, sounds good.

I am just concerned if some of the owners are not liking the 90% Floor on Salary Cap. Specificaly Clark Hunt. This in the long run could hurt the Chiefs, because he was well below the cap a couple years. He is going to to have to make up the cost somewhere, and I bet I know where and I won't like it.

Well if the owners do not get their billion AND there is a 90% salary minimum AND they do not get the extra game each season, then the owners are getting a worse deal than they walked into this with.

There will be something for the owners in this deal, or it will not be done. Which is likely the sticking point.

pojote
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Well if the owners do not get their billion AND there is a 90% salary minimum AND they do not get the extra game each season, then the owners are getting a worse deal than they walked into this with.

There will be something for the owners in this deal, or it will not be done. Which is likely the sticking point.

I think just like you, maybe they win with a better rookie wage scale.
I don't agree at all with salary floor, there should be a minimum wage, but no salary floor.

#58ChiefsFan
06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
At least this article is painting a good picture of what happened this week

NFL lockout: Talks end, more likely next week, sources say - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6696089)

jap1
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM

I disagree that the owners arent getting anything. The owners are winning with the 48% cut for the players. Previously the players received 60% on paper (after cutting the 1 billion off the top for the owners), which in reality came to around 54% (according to some articles I have read). If you take last year's numbers:

10 billion in revenue
Owners get the first billion
So, 9 Billion left.
Players got 54% last year = 4.86 Billion
Owners got 4.14 Billion plus the Billion off the top = 5.14 billion

This year's leaked numbers assuming last year's revenue:
10 Billion
48% for players: 4.8 Billion
52% for owners: 5.2 Billion
Owners are also getting rookie salary cap, and are getting some exemptions in income they dont have to share.

I think this is actually a pretty fair shake, at least compared to previous revenue numbers.

Everything I have heard is that the agree in principle to the terms that are being published. Right now they are just working out details like salary floor, free agency, and some other minor points.

Hayvern
06-24-2011, 03:03 AM
I disagree that the owners arent getting anything. The owners are winning with the 48% cut for the players. Previously the players received 60% on paper (after cutting the 1 billion off the top for the owners), which in reality came to around 54% (according to some articles I have read). If you take last year's numbers:

10 billion in revenue
Owners get the first billion
So, 9 Billion left.
Players got 54% last year = 4.86 Billion
Owners got 4.14 Billion plus the Billion off the top = 5.14 billion

This year's leaked numbers assuming last year's revenue:
10 Billion
48% for players: 4.8 Billion
52% for owners: 5.2 Billion
Owners are also getting rookie salary cap, and are getting some exemptions in income they dont have to share.

I think this is actually a pretty fair shake, at least compared to previous revenue numbers.

Everything I have heard is that the agree in principle to the terms that are being published. Right now they are just working out details like salary floor, free agency, and some other minor points.

After I posted I read a little more, so my original post was based on faulty information.

The other big thing that I read that makes this a little better for the owners is that the players do not have guaranteed money. This means that 48% they are receiving is tied directly to income. So if the NFL goes down in value from say 10 billion to 8 billion, then the players will receive less money, just like the owners do.

I am surprised the player's union went along with that sort of thing.

tornadospotter
06-24-2011, 10:26 PM
After I posted I read a little more, so my original post was based on faulty information.

The other big thing that I read that makes this a little better for the owners is that the players do not have guaranteed money. This means that 48% they are receiving is tied directly to income. So if the NFL goes down in value from say 10 billion to 8 billion, then the players will receive less money, just like the owners do.

I am surprised the player's union went along with that sort of thing.
they have a union?

All I have to say is get it done!

Yoda
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I am fed up with the "things are looking good" feel good reports. Wake me up when the deal is done.

Chiefster
07-02-2011, 03:40 AM
I am fed up with the "things are looking good" feel good reports. Wake me up when the deal is done.

...This.

#58ChiefsFan
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
The damage is already done.

Remember being excited when Zorn came on board to work with Cassel this offseason? We have been cheated out of that.

All rookies are behind the curve with no OTA or minicamp

With the exception of very few, having no training staff available this offseason is detrimental. The injury rate for all 32 teams will be higher this year.

You still have a week or two of legalities once an agreement is reached. Free agency which will just be extremely expedited. Then the whole mess of trying to get the top draft picks to sign with their teams so the rest of the first rounders will sign. Normally weeks and weeks is the timeframe.

We will loose a few to free agency and add a few. Those guys will finally get a playbook, have no minicamp nor OTAs and be expected to perform as if there were.

IMO we already are getting a watered down version of what the 2011 NFL could be.

tornadospotter
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
How long to get the drafted players signed? With no negotiation, some of these rookies may never be ready to play this season.

Hayvern
07-03-2011, 07:30 AM
How long to get the drafted players signed? With no negotiation, some of these rookies may never be ready to play this season.

My thinking is that there is already deals ready to be delivered for all the rookies. I know they say that it is illegal to do that, but I am thinking they are at least close to completed, it is all a matter of aligning them with the new rules that may come out.

July 15th they say is the deadline. I would find it a surprise if they do not have a deal hammered out then, even if the deal is the same one they had last year.

#58ChiefsFan
07-03-2011, 12:21 PM
According to Schefter if they miss july 15 that jeopardizes the start of preseason and $200 million.

I just remember last year when Berry missed the start of camp because of his agent.

Hopefully that is a mute point when the new rookie structure they agree to puts somewhat of an end to that.

#58ChiefsFan
07-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Spotter, I'm saying weeks after the top draft picks sign and set the curve under the old system. I agree with your post considering it takes several months to get things going. Let's hope either Hayvern is correct or there is a structure to put a leash on the way it used to be.

tornadospotter
07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
bovine excrement is what it is! GET IT DONE! NOW!!!!!!!! You who have a lot of money, and you who earn a lot of money, for a job!
I wish for a top earner in the NFL, to learn about my life, the pain I live with, the things I have to do, the things I have done in my life to save lives, the cost to my body and health, with no financial return, it cost me pay at times, when I clock out of work to respond to a pager going off, and probably will shorten my life. Just makes me sick! Bunch of over paid asses on both sides! GET IT DONE! You who are nothing with out the game, and the fans that pay your salary!

Chiefster
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
bovine excrement is what it is! GET IT DONE! NOW!!!!!!!! You who have a lot of money, and you who earn a lot of money, for a job!
I wish for a top earner in the NFL, to learn about my life, the pain I live with, the things I have to do, the things I have done in my life to save lives, the cost to my body and health, with no financial return, it cost me pay at times, when I clock out of work to respond to a pager going off, and probably will shorten my life. Just makes me sick! Bunch of over paid asses on both sides! GET IT DONE! You who are nothing with out the game, and the fans that pay your salary!

This is the "Official Chiefs Crowd Blue Collar Rant of the Die Hard Fan"!

tornadospotter
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
This is the "Official Chiefs Crowd Blue Collar Rant of the Die Hard Fan"!
Thank you! please do not ban me yet, I may get even more angry! Get er DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiefster
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you! please do not ban me yet, I may get even more angry! Get er DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can ban people??? :D

Canada
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I can ban people??? :DRemember me?

#58ChiefsFan
07-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Per ESPN Jerry Jones has told the Alamo dome the cowboys will begin training camp July 29, and start moving equipment on the 25th.

Hayvern
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
My thinking is that there is already deals ready to be delivered for all the rookies. I know they say that it is illegal to do that, but I am thinking they are at least close to completed, it is all a matter of aligning them with the new rules that may come out.

July 15th they say is the deadline. I would find it a surprise if they do not have a deal hammered out then, even if the deal is the same one they had last year.

I am revising my statement, of course no one knows what is going on, it seems even the negotiators.

Apparently according to ESPN, talks nearly broke down last week. So they do NOT have a deal with the players worked out, they are still hammering out something that is rather contentious.

I am starting to hedge my bets that pre-season is going to be late this year.

NFL talks: Lawyers in spotlight first two days - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6738786)

matthewschiefs
07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I am revising my statement, of course no one knows what is going on, it seems even the negotiators.

Apparently according to ESPN, talks nearly broke down last week. So they do NOT have a deal with the players worked out, they are still hammering out something that is rather contentious.

I am starting to hedge my bets that pre-season is going to be late this year.

NFL talks: Lawyers in spotlight first two days - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6738786)

From what i heard listening to espn radio all the time like i do the breakdown almost happend early last week. The owners had to be stupid and decided to go back to trying to take some off the top. The players didn't respond to well. But from what I heard they ended the week on a postive note. I still think we are going to see a deal in the next 2 weeks. Just a feeling that I have.

Hayvern
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
From what i heard listening to espn radio all the time like i do the breakdown almost happend early last week. The owners had to be stupid and decided to go back to trying to take some off the top. The players didn't respond to well. But from what I heard they ended the week on a postive note. I still think we are going to see a deal in the next 2 weeks. Just a feeling that I have.

Yeah, I am sure it was those evil owners that do nothing but take everything from the poor, defenseless players.

matthewschiefs
07-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I am sure it was those evil owners that do nothing but take everything from the poor, defenseless players.

That's not what I am saying at all. From what I have heard they were working to simplify things and end the taking off the top. Then the owners suddenly brought it back. If true that's on the owners not the players. They seemed to make progress going with the new format then the owners changed it back. That might not be true but if true I do think it's the owners side slowing things down IMO.

Hayvern
07-06-2011, 12:56 AM
That's not what I am saying at all. From what I have heard they were working to simplify things and end the taking off the top. Then the owners suddenly brought it back. If true that's on the owners not the players. They seemed to make progress going with the new format then the owners changed it back. That might not be true but if true I do think it's the owners side slowing things down IMO.

This is all conjecture at this point, but I think the owners at one point were close, but then when they got the rest of the owners into it, they found out they were off the mark, so they had to start all over again.

tornadospotter
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
I talked to the guy on the corner of the block, and he said, it is all in the bank, they just need to get the paper work done. But there was a portapotty at that corner of the block, so I may have concerns about what the paper work is that he refers to. :smile

Get it done!!!!!!

Chiefster
07-14-2011, 01:07 AM
It's amazing to me that, from what little I've been able to understand of this whole mess, basically it all boils down to rookie contracts; players want four years and then unrestricted free agency. Owners want five years. So at present the difference between having a season or not is 365 days.

Seek
07-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I talked to the guy on the corner of the block, and he said, it is all in the bank, they just need to get the paper work done. But there was a portapotty at that corner of the block, so I may have concerns about what the paper work is that he refers to. :smile

Get it done!!!!!!

They are not even meeting face to face until the 28th to go over the paperwork. But they have worked out when Free agency will start, when RFA and Franchise players need to sign, and when rookies need to be signed based on the new slotting proposal.

They are still working on adding an additional optional 5th year for first round draft picks.

I imagine this will all be said and done by 8/1.

Seek
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
rudy Niswanger was on 810 yesterday. He is the Chiefs player Rep. He said that today the players will look at the proposed CBA. 18 executive players reps, will review it first. If it is agreed upon, it will then go to the teams players reps, one per team, and that is then agreed upon it will go to all 1800 players to vote.

The owners will then review it on Thursday the 21st and vote on the CBA.

If boths sides vote Yes, Free Agency could start as early as next Tuesday to start Free agency. This give teams until then to sign their own UFA or RFA, before they can hit the market.

I also heard though that the 10 players involved in the anti trust suits against the NFL would also have to vote yes. If any of the 10 players did not agree to it, and did not drop their suit, the owners will not agree to it on Thursday.

tornadospotter
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
rudy Niswanger was on 810 yesterday. He is the Chiefs player Rep. He said that today the players will look at the proposed CBA. 18 executive players reps, will review it first. If it is agreed upon, it will then go to the teams players reps, one per team, and that is then agreed upon it will go to all 1800 players to vote.

The owners will then review it on Thursday the 21st and vote on the CBA.

If boths sides vote Yes, Free Agency could start as early as next Tuesday to start Free agency. This give teams until then to sign their own UFA or RFA, before they can hit the market.

I also heard though that the 10 players involved in the anti trust suits against the NFL would also have to vote yes. If any of the 10 players did not agree to it, and did not drop their suit, the owners will not agree to it on Thursday. I hope there is a clause that says if the 10 do not sign, they can lose their contracts.

Connie Jo
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
In the discussion thread started by Coach titled "will you return"...I just contributed to that discussion moments ago, including an article I feel is important with explaining what the hold up is, and has been, with making the end to the lockout 'official'. By all accounts, it was over when both sides agreed weeks ago to do what they needed to end it and have a regular season. Both sides had come to workable agreement in principle, but not made it all legal, which is what they've been working on since.

The media has made this situation much worse than it is to generate a 'top story' interest & following among fans...ratings = profit. The media has not had any reliable 'leak' sources since this began, everything they've reported was either twisted fact or meer speculation. I believe little to nothing major media sources report...it's not trustworthy, not even from ESPN, NFL.com, etc.. The unknown little guy reporting has far more accurate reporting than the big guys...trust me!! The big guys have been milking it from the beginning. :/

Xanathol
07-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Leave it to the owners to screw things up yet again. In case you haven't been watching / reading / whatever, the owners sit on the CBA all day today, vote to ratify it 31-0 this evening, and leak out 'return schedules' etc to put pressure on the players.

One problem - the CBA they ratified is not exactly what they drafted with the players.

Its being reported all over that at a minimum, key wording was changed. The move by the owners was to alter wording in their favor, pass it late today, state publicly that the 'deal is done', all to make the players look bad if they don't agree to the changes they made. And sadly, judging by comments on various articles, they are a number of people falling for it.

Oh - this is all complete with so much as giving dates as to when the players should reform a union by, walk away from the lawsuit, etc, etc. As one reporter put it, things like giving a deadline for the players to form a union by are flat out illegal ( ie. cannot coerce employees into forming a union ).

And some people think the players are the 'evil ones' ( or give the default 'I can't make up my mind so I blame them both' judgment )... As much as I love football, I almost hope the whole thing breaks down and the players destroy the owners in the courts for nothing more than the audacity to make a move like this. Its beyond disrespectful. I'm so ready for all teams to be publicly owned by their respective cities / stock holders and do away with the current owners completely - Roger included.

Connie Jo
07-22-2011, 03:08 AM
Leave it to the owners to screw things up yet again. In case you haven't been watching / reading / whatever, the owners sit on the CBA all day today, vote to ratify it 31-0 this evening, and leak out 'return schedules' etc to put pressure on the players.

One problem - the CBA they ratified is not exactly what they drafted with the players.

Its being reported all over that at a minimum, key wording was changed. The move by the owners was to alter wording in their favor, pass it late today, state publicly that the 'deal is done', all to make the players look bad if they don't agree to the changes they made. And sadly, judging by comments on various articles, they are a number of people falling for it.

Oh - this is all complete with so much as giving dates as to when the players should reform a union by, walk away from the lawsuit, etc, etc. As one reporter put it, things like giving a deadline for the players to form a union by are flat out illegal ( ie. cannot coerce employees into forming a union ).

And some people think the players are the 'evil ones' ( or give the default 'I can't make up my mind so I blame them both' judgment )... As much as I love football, I almost hope the whole thing breaks down and the players destroy the owners in the courts for nothing more than the audacity to make a move like this. Its beyond disrespectful. I'm so ready for all teams to be publicly owned by their respective cities / stock holders and do away with the current owners completely - Roger included.

I do believe you're right, based upon what I've read here & there. I do however, still question whether or not the players involved with the Brady suit are complicating getting the deal signed & sealed on both sides. I tend to think the owners may have pulled the trick they did also as a way to get around the Brady anti trust suit somehow. I honestly don't know, don't think any one does for sure, but my feeling is the delays for quite a while now are connected to the Brady suit for both sides.

#58ChiefsFan
07-22-2011, 07:56 AM
The two sides are not as far apart as media hype is trying to make them.

The CBA is agreed to in principle, the global settlement is the hold up. The NFLPA needs to re-certify as a union in order for some of the remaining issues to be resolved, i.e. workers comp.

It was a powerplay on the owners part to hold their press conference when the NFLPA claims they had not seen the document in it's entirety. However I still believe the NFLPA will vote within the week. Give the players some time to digest the information and we will see the league resume this month.

It's claimed the players only receive $400 for a preseason game but that's not entirely true. The agreed percentage of revenue split will cost them 100-150 million per week. They have the same sense of urgency to complete the deal as the owners.

stadw0n306
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
it is over!!!

Chiefs football is back baby!!