PDA

View Full Version : What made you a Chiefs fan?

Scout200
06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
What made you a Chiefs fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

wildcat
06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm a Chiefs fan because my Dad is a Chiefs fan and I grew up watching Chiefs games with him (i.e. my Dad raised me the right way).

N TX Dave
06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
They moved to KC!

#58ChiefsFan
06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
My father got me interested in the team to begin with, watching the games on sunday. Then once I went to Arrowhead it was all over, hook line and sinker this is my team. I hold season tickets, live out of state now and make the six hour journey as much as possible.

KristofLaw
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Being from Central Canada I really had very few people to mold my interest in the NFL... we have the CFL up here. I love football though and as I matured I learned more and more about NFL history and watched many games beginning in the mid-early '80s. Two teams really stood out for me, the Chiefs and the Packers... I have other teams I follow but I have always been a major fan of both. The electricity that seemed to be generated at Chiefs games, bold and top class jerseys... man I loved the Chiefs from the get go. The Chiefs rule.....

GO CHIEFS!!! 2011

Yoda
06-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Interesting. I would say that possibly 98% of the fans are local, within Missouri. I would not say that it is a national team or global team as much as teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, and recently possibly the Patriots. This is not to slight the Chiefs, it is what it is.

#58ChiefsFan
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Interesting. I would say that possibly 98% of the fans are local, within Missouri. I would not say that it is a national team or global team as much as teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, and recently possibly the Patriots. This is not to slight the Chiefs, it is what it is.

Just a small market team, I agree with you.

Chiefster
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Generational.

chiefnut
06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Just a small market team, I agree with you.

we have season ticket holders in 48 of the 50 states, only Maine and Rhode Island are not officially part of CHIEFS NATION!!! although i am sure you can still find a few fans there.:chiefs:

Canada
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM

we have season ticket holders in 48 of the 50 states, only Maine and Rhode Island are not officially part of CHIEFS NATION!!! although i am sure you can still find a few fans there.:chiefs:

...and Canada!! :sFl_canada2:

chiefnut
06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I became a CHIEFS fan because of the ny yankees!
strange as it seems, when i was about 8 years old all of my friends and their fathers were mostly yankee fans w/a few philly fans mixed in. they were obnoxious, and thought you were a sub human species if you were not a yankee fan. this got under my skin so in the 1960 world series i rooted for the Pirates[huge underdog] because they were laughing at them. when Maz hit that home run to take the series i became a lifelong fan. so the AFL was forming at the same time and they too were big underdogs and were also being laughed at by the "establishment" nfl so it was only natural i would be an AFL fan, as to why the CHIEFS, they of course at that time were the DALLAS TEXANS and their secondary logo was a cowboy on horseback w/lasso[reminded me of Pecos Bill] and being 8 years old i liked that. then when the moved to KC the cowboy was replaced by an INDIAN CHIEF...10year olds still like to play cowboys and indians. been a fan ever since.

chiefnut
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
that makes the CHIEFS an international team, heyna or no!

#58ChiefsFan
06-30-2011, 01:13 PM

You still can barely find team apparel anywhere outside KS/MO. There are big market teams hats and jerseys all over the country. I was shocked when I went into a sports shop down in Florida and found Chiefs gear. Turned out the owner was from Omaha and a lifelong fan. Red Friday has not caught on nationwide, yet. Love to see that change though.

Canada
06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
You still can barely find team apparel anywhere outside KS/MO. There are big market teams hats and jerseys all over the country. I was shocked when I went into a sports shop down in Florida and found Chiefs gear. Turned out the owner was from Omaha and a lifelong fan. Red Friday has not caught on nationwide, yet. Love to see that change though.

Big Market = Bandwagon

I could care less who sells what T shirts where. I am a Chiefs fan because we have the best fans, the best tailgate, the best stadium and the best Fu KCin' team in the NFL!!:bananen_smilies046:

chiefnut
06-30-2011, 06:20 PM
...and Canada!! :sFl_canada2:

I have found KC stuff in Atlantic City NJ, Syracuse NY, NY city, Philladelphia Pa, Buffalo NY, all over Northeastern Pa. in fact my wife is constantly amazed how i manage to find CHIEFS stuff no matter where we go. seek and ye shall find!!!:chiefs:

70 chiefsfan70
06-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Big Market = Bandwagon

I could care less who sells what T shirts where. I am a Chiefs fan because we have the best fans, the best tailgate, the best stadium and the best Fu KCin' team in the NFL!!:bananen_smilies046:

Yeppers!!!!! And who am I to disagree with that!!!!!

I was not allowed to watch, talk, or play sports growing up, so me being the rebelling type, I had to come up with a team, with absolutely no knowledge about them. I loved Indian arrowheads, and collected them as a kid, so picking the Chiefs with their Arrowhead stadium was an easy decision.

But now as an adult, I know that was the right choice, because of the same reasons Canada noted.

The fans are the best!!!

If I had picked the raiders I'm sure I would've either killed myself, Al Davis and/or the raiders.

Scout200
07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I was not allowed to watch, talk, or play sports growing up, so me being the rebelling type, I had to come up with a team, with absolutely no knowledge about them. I loved Indian arrowheads, and collected them as a kid, so picking the Chiefs with their Arrowhead stadium was an easy decision.

Wow, truly awesome history! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Yoda
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't dispute that Chiefs fans are scattered all over the US, I would say very thinly. Unlike Cowboy fans that seem to be everywhere, and the new bandwagon Patriot fans. I know the Raiders have booster clubs CA to NY, even England and Australia. As with all fans, most likely your a fan because it is the team you grew up with. I grew up in a blue collar family who are Raiders fans. I don't have a blue collar job but I stuck with the team.

Canada
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't dispute that Chiefs fans are scattered all over the US, I would say very thinly. Unlike Cowboy fans that seem to be everywhere, and the new bandwagon Patriot fans. I know the Raiders have booster clubs CA to NY, even England and Australia. As with all fans, most likely your a fan because it is the team you grew up with. I grew up in a blue collar family who are Raiders fans. I don't have a blue collar job but I stuck with the team.Do you actually KNOW any of this? Have you ever travelled around the US and really looked to see what fans are from what state? Comment on things that are fact or go to a Raitards board to brag about your crappy as$ team.

Yoda
07-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Do you actually KNOW any of this? Have you ever travelled around the US and really looked to see what fans are from what state? Comment on things that are fact or go to a Raitards board to brag about your crappy as$ team.

#1 This has nothing to do with how well Chiefs are performing. #2 This has to do with stats...ie....Nielson ratings, merchandise sales....etc....etc. This is no big secrete. Even as a Raiders fan, I will admit that Chiefs fan are loyal and passionate. Compared to other teams, their are less of them. It is what it is. That's all.

Chiefster
07-02-2011, 03:35 AM
There's no disputing ones passion or pride for whatever team that is part of the AFC West; after all the AFC West is the hypocenter of the old AFL where the AFC as we know it originated. Where it not for the visionaries of the AFC West owners there would be no NFL as we know it today.

What this board is about is respect for ALL it's members regardless of team affiliation; we try, also, to foster an atmosphere that is pleasant for EVERYONE buy not carying on potentially volatile subject matter. This is a thread about what made those of us who are Chiefs fans, which make up about 99.9999999999999999999999999% of this site, who we are. I don't see what, exactly, those 1% who are not Chiefs fans could possibly add to the conversation in this thread. With all due respect to you Yoda; I understand your comments maybe statements of fact but perhaps are better suited for a thread more appropriate for them. What makes a Chiefs fan a Chiefs fan has nothing at all to do with how many of us there are as compared to the "big market" teams.

Sn@keIze
07-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I hope this isn't against the website policy. But here is my story

MAN I LOVE THE CHIEFS!!!!

Sn@keIze
07-05-2011, 02:25 AM
I hope this isn't against the website policy. But here is my story

MAN I LOVE THE CHIEFS!!!!
LOL

man i love the editing tornadospotter!

Canada
07-05-2011, 02:30 AM
No one posts on this site anymore and as soon as they do it gets removed. You guys need to lighten up!!

Sn@keIze
07-05-2011, 02:48 AM
No one posts on this site anymore and as soon as they do it gets removed. You guys need to lighten up!!
i guess kids do get on here.

but really, i didnt say anything that wasn't too bad.

Alls i did was talkn about pleasing ones self in certain ways.

And who doesn't want to please ones self?

I LOVE THE KC CHIEFS!

tornadospotter
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM

i guess kids do get on here.

but really, i didnt say anything that wasn't too bad.

Alls i did was talkn about pleasing ones self in certain ways.

And who doesn't want to please ones self?

I LOVE THE KC CHIEFS!
I could have left it alone, but I rather like Sn@keIze, and did not want to punish him for that post, and yes we do have members that are minors. We want our players to be positive roll models for our kids, we also can be as fans. That my story and I sticking to it.:whipping1:

Connie Jo
07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Off thread topic yes, but just for sake of adding a note to the off topic discussion, haha...I'll note that we have Chiefs fans all over the world. AUSSIE and other fans in Australia. My friend Robert, a native German residing in Germany, founded a Chiefs Fan Club in Germany several yrs ago. They rise in the wee morning hours to watch the games aired live in Germany. There are about 30 members in his Chiefs fans of Germany, but hey...they're loyal Chiefs fans none the less!! hahaha

Northcountry68
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Living in Montana, there are actually several Chief Fans, unfortunately the majority of Montana NFL fans favor the Denver Donkeys or Seattle Seachickens.

okikcfan
07-24-2011, 05:43 PM
I was not raised in a sports family, my step dad did take me to a Rams game in la when I was a kid and I got to meet Roman Gabriel, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen and some others I can't remember. I played football in High School but I was more or less a Raiders Fan. Dont hate me Please. It was in fact Al Davis that turned me into a Chiefs Fan for Life. I Hated Al Davis. I hated him so much I felt I had no choice but to switch teams. So what better team to switch to than the Chiefs. It was not easy being a Chiefs Fan in Cali, but it got much better when Al bailed and went to Okland. Then I moved to Wichita in the 80's and life as a Chiefs Fan was AWESOME!

matthewschiefs
07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I could have left it alone, but I rather like Sn@keIze, and did not want to punish him for that post, and yes we do have members that are minors. We want our players to be positive roll models for our kids, we also can be as fans. That my story and I sticking to it.:whipping1:

‪Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" Nike Air Commercial‬‏ - YouTube
Like him? :D

Chiefster
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
‪Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" Nike Air Commercial‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vh2MwXZ6o)
Like him? :D

I agree he shouldn't be raising anyone's kids, but he IS a role model whether he likes it or not; whether want's to be or not.

GarH
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
My father took me to a couple of games the first year the Chiefs came to Kansas City and I've been a fan ever since.

Hayvern
07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

For you to include the Raiders in this is a little off. Of course there is no real way to measure this because just counting "fans" is somewhat conjectural. However, if we understand the premise that fans spend money and therefor, the teams that make the most money would have the most fans, then the Chiefs ARE better than the Raiders.

Unless all Raiders fans are just too cheap to spend money on their team, which is likely a distinct possibility.

Current value:

Cowboys, Redskins, Patriots, the chiefs rank 14th with just over 1 billion dollars, the Raiders rank 32 with 796 million.

Revenue:

Redskins, Patriots, Cowboys. The Chiefs rank 20th and the Raiders rank 28th.

The Raiders are a small market team.

NFL Team Valuations - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/30/football-values-09_NFL-Team-Valuations_Revenue.html)

Hayvern
07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree he shouldn't be raising anyone's kids, but he IS a role model whether he likes it or not; whether want's to be or not.

He WAS a role model, he is largely inconsequential now. Most kids today really would not even know he played basketball.

bone1994
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I actually started out as a Bronco fan back when I started watching football back in 1997. I was 6 years old and loved John Elway and the miracle Super Bowl run they had (The Broncos were also awesome on Blitz, so I was always them). I even remember rooting against the Chiefs in the playoffs when they played the Broncos. Then in 98 I saw a documentary on Warren Moon and was instantly a fan of his and started liking the Seahawks. Then in 99 I found out he was traded to the Chiefs. I never changed teams after that, as he would eventually retire as a Chief. By 2003 I was the biggest Chiefs fan ever when they had that explosive offense for so many years. Hopefully I'll be able to go to Arrowhead this year for the 1st time ever

nmchief858
07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
i,m a chiefs fan for many reasons, first and foremost is pat, he was my second cousins father. he was like a father to me, from independence and he used to tell me at a very young age how great kansas city was. he made kansas city sound like heaven. secondly, i was born in oklahoma and lamar hunt ment for the chiefs to represent oklahoma, as well as kansas, missouri, arkansas, iowa and nebraska, i cried like a baby the night lamar died, even though we were on opposite sides of the political and personal spectrum, i truly liked and respected him for all he has done for the chiefs and football and finally, i like the idea of native american culture in sport since they are the original americans and this is a way to pay homage to them. i call arrowhead "the reservation" and any team coming on our reservation will get scalped.

TopekaRoy
07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I grew up in the Chicago area and always was (and still am) a die-hard Bears fan. In 1998 I fell in love with someone who wanted to move down here to Topeka to be closer to her family. I came with her and started following the Chiefs. They had an awesome offense and not much defense at the time so, win or lose, the games were always exciting. The fans here are great and the style of play made the Chiefs an easy team to root for. It helps that the best friend I made down here is a die hard Broncos fan and we go to a local sports bar every Sunday to watch the Bears, Broncos, Chiefs and one or two other great matchups. We enjoy that Broncos-Chiefs rivalry.

The last couple of years have been rough, but the Chiefs have made (seemingly) all the right moves and turned things around. I think they can be a powerhouse for years to come.

matthewschiefs
07-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I grew up in the Chicago area and always was (and still am) a die-hard Bears fan. In 1998 I fell in love with someone who wanted to move down here to Topeka to be closer to her family. I came with her and started following the Chiefs. They had an awesome offense and not much defense at the time so, win or lose, the games were always exciting. The fans here are great and the style of play made the Chiefs an easy team to root for. It helps that the best friend I made down here is a die hard Broncos fan and we go to a local sports bar every Sunday to watch the Bears, Broncos, Chiefs and one or two other great matchups. We enjoy that Broncos-Chiefs rivalry.

The last couple of years have been rough, but the Chiefs have made (seemingly) all the right moves and turned things around. I think they can be a powerhouse for years to come.

That I hope your right about. Things are looking good for this team. I live in Bears country along with Rams. I have taken quite a beating seeing that I never stopped wearing my Chiefs gear around town. But I am looking forward to giveing it all back in the next few years.

OTR Chiefs fan
07-26-2011, 12:05 AM
I was born in K.C. and raised in Independence. So, I've been a Chiefs fan since day one. Now living in ID I'm practically the only Chief fan in Seahawk country.

chief31
07-26-2011, 12:28 AM
For you to include the Raiders in this is a little off. Of course there is no real way to measure this because just counting "fans" is somewhat conjectural. However, if we understand the premise that fans spend money and therefor, the teams that make the most money would have the most fans, then the Chiefs ARE better than the Raiders.

Unless all Raiders fans are just too cheap to spend money on their team, which is likely a distinct possibility.

Current value:

Cowboys, Redskins, Patriots, the chiefs rank 14th with just over 1 billion dollars, the Raiders rank 32 with 796 million.

Revenue:

Redskins, Patriots, Cowboys. The Chiefs rank 20th and the Raiders rank 28th.

The Raiders are a small market team.

NFL Team Valuations - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/30/football-values-09_NFL-Team-Valuations_Revenue.html)

Well, The Raiders WERE a nationally appreciated team, at least by gangsters, during the 80's and 90's.

The black color gave the impression of being a bad boy, and with silver, it meant that the colors did not match any particular gang colors and could be worn by all.

Now that the gangster culture has dimmed from pop culture, and The Raiders have been terrible, they are absolutely not a wildly popular team.

Chiefster
07-26-2011, 07:31 AM
He WAS a role model, he is largely inconsequential now. Most kids today really would not even know he played basketball.

Good point.

pojote
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I was born, raised and currently live in Santiago, Chile, so obviously I'm a chiefs fan. Not so obvious?

ctchiefsfan
07-26-2011, 06:39 PM
I've been a Chiefs fan since the late '60's. I was a kid and wasn't much into sports. My step dad made me sit down and watch a KC-Oakland game. The Chiefs won in a very close game...I'm thinking 16-13 but maybe not...Anyway, I've been a chiefs fan ever since through residence in Ct, DC, Va, Md, Fl and back to Ct.

Chiefs RULE!!!

tornadospotter
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
I became a Chief when as a young boy, living in a time of black and white television, only three channels to chose from and all of them snowy! I watched the Chiefs beat the Team I Thought was my favorite, in Super Bowl IV! At that time I live in rural Iowa. My family moved to Kansas City area. My oldest brother had a position in a company that had tickets to Chiefs and Royals, and we went to some games. I became a True Chief, the moment I first laid eyes on the Home of the Chiefs, ARROWHEAD STADIUM! Then going inside, watching Warpaint prancing around, and then the game itself, incredible. That was even before Arrowhead became the loudest stadium in the NFL. That was when you could see more empty seats than filled seats. Arrowhead, did it for me. That Stadium, had me at first sight. All Chief fans need to make a trip to Arrowhead Stadium at least once! You will never forget it, and you will love it.

slimdagreat
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
My story is rare as I've never even been to KC, the closest I've ever been is staying over night in St Louis.

Anyway I'm from New Orleans, LA. I was born and bred to be a Saints fan. I rebelled against them because while everybody I knew loved them, I never really did. So for a long time I was a man without a team, then by sheer cosmic intervention my 4 favorite NFL players all played on the same team, the Kansas City Chiefs.

Joe Montana - nuff said

Marcus Allen - nuff said

Derrick Thomas - as an LSU fan I loved and hated seeing him on Saturdays

Neil Smith - He graduated from the same high school I went to in New Orleans, so I naturally drawn to liking him

So I started following them, and never stopped.

azchiefsfan
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM
I have the black, red and gold NFL 75th anniversary parka that I wear during the winter here in Az and constantly get Chiefs fans coming up and talking to me everywhere I go around here in Az. Whether it's around Sierra Vista or up in Tucson and Phoenix, I meet lots of KC fans. Don't know if it's that way other places (there were very few KC fans in my home state of Idaho), but here there are a bunch of KC fans. There's actually a group of KC fans who meet to watch the games at a bar up in Tucson that I was invited to.