PDA

View Full Version : UFA's

DC_Chiefsfan
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm banking on the Chiefs signing 2-4 UFA's once the lockout is lifted. I have my ideas on important positions that can only be filled this way. In my opinion, number 1 position that needs to be filled is backup QB. God forbid, but if Cassel goes down again, we need a veteran presence. I love the Stanzi pick, but I want him to develop over the next 2-3 years. Pennington would have been ideal, but he's out this year, so a guy like Kerry Collins may fit the roll. He is full of experience and played well in a run first offense in Tennessee. He also still has the ability to start in this league which I think would push Cassel to keep improving.

Some other UFA's I wouldn't mind seeing us sign include:
Steve Breaston WR (yep, I'm on this bandwagon)
Lance Moore WR
Matt Light OT
Ryan Harris OT
Cullen Jenkins DE
Steven Tulloch LB
D'Qwell Jackson LB

Of these free agents, I think I'd most like to see us sign Moore and Light with both LBs close behind. Any other ideas? Let's speculate!

DC_Chiefsfan
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Ha! Scratch Kerry Collins.

Kerry Collins retires | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/07/kerry-collins-retires/)

Hayvern
07-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm banking on the Chiefs signing 2-4 UFA's once the lockout is lifted. I have my ideas on important positions that can only be filled this way. In my opinion, number 1 position that needs to be filled is backup QB. God forbid, but if Cassel goes down again, we need a veteran presence. I love the Stanzi pick, but I want him to develop over the next 2-3 years. Pennington would have been ideal, but he's out this year, so a guy like Kerry Collins may fit the roll. He is full of experience and played well in a run first offense in Tennessee. He also still has the ability to start in this league which I think would push Cassel to keep improving.

Some other UFA's I wouldn't mind seeing us sign include:
Steve Breaston WR (yep, I'm on this bandwagon)
Lance Moore WR
Matt Light OT
Ryan Harris OT
Cullen Jenkins DE
Steven Tulloch LB
D'Qwell Jackson LB

Of these free agents, I think I'd most like to see us sign Moore and Light with both LBs close behind. Any other ideas? Let's speculate!

I have been saying for a long time we need a good solid veteran QB to play behind Cassel. Collins' attitude was piss poor, not the kind of role model you want for a pair of young QBs. Hasselback might be a good choice, but I think he is looking for a starting role and would not consider a backup, plus with teams like the Cardinals who will be shopping for a starter, Hasselback has lots of other options available to him.

I would absolutely love to see Matt Light come in at OT, but that is not going to happen. He is another guy that is going to want more money than he is really worth, remember Pioli in New England set the stage for how New England builds teams. If New England thinks that Light is on his way down in production, I think Pioli might think that as well.

As far as linebackers go, it is all going to depend on if we can resign Hali. Remember, the man is not under contract yet and if the Chiefs do not pay him, there is a distinct possibility somoene else will. If we do lose him, then the rush will be on to sign another linebacker or DE for his spot.

I wish we could also consider RFA in this, many of them, depending on the CBA may become UFA after this season.

Jrudi
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM
As for Backup QB there's not a lot to choose from. I don't know if they will address this, Pretty sure they are High on Palko, and want to look to develop Stanzi, but if they do look for a veteran here are a few:

Seneca Wallace (Cle)- Career backup that is smart, and would best fit in a run-first offensive system due to his athleticism. High character from what I have heard.

Mark Bulger (Bal)- Bringin in Zorn might give us an in to bring him along as well. Smart, has been a successful starter, and may look at a move to KC as an opportunity to get back around the St. Louis area where he once was for a period of time.

Neither should warrant a hefty price tag.

WR....I Still like Breaston, or Doucett whichever Arizona doesn't re-sign. Possibly Mike Sims-Walker if he doesn't take alot of cash to bring it. (Similar style to Bowe and Baldwin, would fit a run-first offense and offer a big Red Zone Threat)

OL- Thought About Light and like it but only for a 1 year deal to cover the RT position or ad depth.

LB's- Like both that have been mentioned, Jackson has a history with Crennel, and is a tackling machine when healthy...Key words there "WHEN HEALTHY" wouldn't mind seeing us grab him for a low price just to see, still a fairly young player, could provide multiple years of production.

DC_Chiefsfan
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Another thought, released veterans. One player I would love to see us pick up if he's released... marion barber.

matthewschiefs
07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
WOW whats this football talk not about the lockout WOW I like it.

Breaston is the one for me until I see Baldwin I still think that a WR is a huge need for this team. If we could bring him in with him working with haley in the past I think it will be a big help to the offense.

DC_Chiefsfan
07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I know! With all this talk (knock on wood) about the new CBA coming to an agreement soon its time to start postulating football again!

Jrudi
07-08-2011, 09:22 AM
WOW whats this football talk not about the lockout WOW I like it.

Breaston is the one for me until I see Baldwin I still think that a WR is a huge need for this team. If we could bring him in with him working with haley in the past I think it will be a big help to the offense.

Agreed!

That's why I think we could see him land here. That is also why I believe if the Cards re-sign Breaston (which is likely as well) that we could see us pick up another WR from Arizona in Early Doucett. Has the history with Haley (Drafted when Haley was there) and also with Bowe (both coming from LSU within a year or so of each other)

I think he is a receiver that has potential that Haley could get out of him. He could come in now to add immediate depth, and work into a more prominent role.

I think Haley wants to get his WR corps to a similar position to where he was when the Cards went to the SB. That position group was the best on the field for the cards, so I don't think he is done bringing in guys to compete at that position.

matthewschiefs
07-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Agreed!

That's why I think we could see him land here. That is also why I believe if the Cards re-sign Breaston (which is likely as well) that we could see us pick up another WR from Arizona in Early Doucett. Has the history with Haley (Drafted when Haley was there) and also with Bowe (both coming from LSU within a year or so of each other)

I think he is a receiver that has potential that Haley could get out of him. He could come in now to add immediate depth, and work into a more prominent role.

I think Haley wants to get his WR corps to a similar position to where he was when the Cards went to the SB. That position group was the best on the field for the cards, so I don't think he is done bringing in guys to compete at that position.

Doucett would not be a bad pickup either. And if they want to get a crop of wrs like they had in Arizona I think this team can be much better then the cards were when they went to the supper bowl. This team has a better defense then that team did. And has a better starting rb then that team did. QB is close the way that Cassel played last season with less was pretty good. WR is defently a spot of need. We saw that with who we have now Bowe can be shut down at times. And that is never good for an offense. Give Bowe more help then Chris Chambers who was pretty bad last season could be nothing but good for this team.

Seek
07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
From what I have heard, Breaston is high on the Chiefs list. They are also targeting a NT.

Given the current rumors about th CBA, the chiefs will be required to spend more money to meet the mimimum salary cap, so don't be suprised if the Chiefs actually spend to fill holes. Hopefully on the Oline since that seems to be where most of the best value is, granted older.

DMN
07-14-2011, 11:11 PM
From what I have heard, Breaston is high on the Chiefs list. They are also targeting a NT.

Given the current rumors about th CBA, the chiefs will be required to spend more money to meet the mimimum salary cap, so don't be suprised if the Chiefs actually spend to fill holes. Hopefully on the Oline since that seems to be where most of the best value is, granted older.

As much as I love the Hunt family and the Chiefs organization... Am I wrong to absolutely love the fact that we are now required to spend virtually the entire cap each season? I am so excited about this.

We will get Hali signed. I think a Flowers extension is due. And I see us getting our hands on some serious free agent talent.... I mean if not how else will we get the money spent? I guess there may be a time stipulation. Like "A 10 mil minimum increase until the percentage is met" but still.

Bottom line we spent 84.5 mil in 2010... the second least amount in the league only behind the Bucs. While the cap was at 128 mil..... 43.5 mil available to spend on talent.

I say lets go get that NT, WR, S and OL that we need!!!

Seek
07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
As much as I love the Hunt family and the Chiefs organization... Am I wrong to absolutely love the fact that we are now required to spend virtually the entire cap each season? I am so excited about this.

We will get Hali signed. I think a Flowers extension is due. And I see us getting our hands on some serious free agent talent.... I mean if not how else will we get the money spent? I guess there may be a time stipulation. Like "A 10 mil minimum increase until the percentage is met" but still.

Bottom line we spent 84.5 mil in 2010... the second least amount in the league only behind the Bucs. While the cap was at 128 mil..... 43.5 mil available to spend on talent.

I say lets go get that NT, WR, S and OL that we need!!!

The Hunt Family in my opinion was never cheap, like the Royals. The last couple of years they have been way below the cap, but I don't think this was because they were cheap I think they were trying to build a team right.

Once Herm scrapped the team, the Chiefs were trying to build a team through the draft. Over spending on free agents only puts a band aid on the situation, and hurts our draft status while putting a mediocre team on the field.

Once Pioli took over, they had a plan, and that was to fill voids with cheap free agents and hope to land a diamond in the rough while building through the draft.

After you have a solid core of young players, you then take those savings, and the cap room and you fill the holes that you couldn't through the draft.

Todd Hailey said just yesterday, that because of the Chiefs Salary Caps status, they are in position now to be competitive with any free agent they want, because of their cap space.

So instead of being cheap, I see them as being smart investors who were looking at the big picture the last couple years.

Right now in my opinion Clark Hunt and Pioli had a great plan, they stuck to it, and it should pay off. I am excited.

That being said, the new rumors out there, is that they made big strides yesterday and are more optomistic that this may be done with a hand shake today, with it formally presented to the players on the 21st, with Free agency and everything starting on the 28th.

DMN
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
The Hunt Family in my opinion was never cheap, like the Royals. The last couple of years they have been way below the cap, but I don't think this was because they were cheap I think they were trying to build a team right.

Once Herm scrapped the team, the Chiefs were trying to build a team through the draft. Over spending on free agents only puts a band aid on the situation, and hurts our draft status while putting a mediocre team on the field.

Once Pioli took over, they had a plan, and that was to fill voids with cheap free agents and hope to land a diamond in the rough while building through the draft.

After you have a solid core of young players, you then take those savings, and the cap room and you fill the holes that you couldn't through the draft.

Todd Hailey said just yesterday, that because of the Chiefs Salary Caps status, they are in position now to be competitive with any free agent they want, because of their cap space.

So instead of being cheap, I see them as being smart investors who were looking at the big picture the last couple years.

Right now in my opinion Clark Hunt and Pioli had a great plan, they stuck to it, and it should pay off. I am excited.

That being said, the new rumors out there, is that they made big strides yesterday and are more optomistic that this may be done with a hand shake today, with it formally presented to the players on the 21st, with Free agency and everything starting on the 28th.

Don't misconstrue that post... I never meant to imply that I thought cheap was the financial mindset of the chiefs. I only wanted to point out how much we were under and how we could see some action in free agency.

I understand pioli's plan and back it...

The one question that I have is last offseason we were in the bidding for Boldin... Did he choose Baltimore over us or was their deal a little better? I mean with 43.5 mil to spend I cant imagine how how Pioli and company didn't seal the deal. And now this season we set in the same position needing a WR.

All of this is just speculation on my part. And with our recent AFC West crown I will not question our front office... I mean talk about an upgrade from Peterson. I also think that after last season the chiefs have become a little more desireable landing spot for free agents.

Heres to another progressive season.... AFC Championship?!?! haha

Cheers

Hayvern
07-16-2011, 02:42 AM

I hate this idea, at some point if there is no talent out there, then you just can't pay more. So this now means a lot of mediocre guys are going to be making more money because the teams have to spend the money.

I am sure the owners have given themselves a backdoor for getting rid of underperforming duds each season.

wildcat
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM

+rep

Seek
07-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I hate this idea, at some point if there is no talent out there, then you just can't pay more. So this now means a lot of mediocre guys are going to be making more money because the teams have to spend the money.

I am sure the owners have given themselves a backdoor for getting rid of underperforming duds each season.

Some of that salary will go into current chiefs . I believe Tamba is still a free agent.

AkChief49
07-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Some of that salary will go into current chiefs . I believe Tamba is still a free agent.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3626/player?r=1
Didn't they slapped the franchise tag on him?

Seek
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3626/player?r=1
Didn't they slapped the franchise tag on him?

Yes, but only because both sides were waiting to see what the CBA was going to bring before they could even discuss longer term contracts.

We also currently do not have a Center under contract, nor do we have a NT under contract. That includes Shuan Smith.

Jrudi
07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Predictions:

Now that we do have to spend a large % of the cap, and we are well under, we more than likely will have no other choice than to be active in free agency.

A big portion of that money will go towards our core players that we need to lock up for the future, but I can see us having enough to target 1 big name FA, and a number of 2nd level FA's.

Top Priority is to lock in Tamba Hali for the remainder of his career. (as well as getting an extension for Brandon Carr)

The 2nd level of our players will be re-signing Casey Wieggmann (wants to come back) to teach Rodney Hudson, and Barry Richardson (will remain as depth with the only other notable Tackle on the team being Albert.)

I think and Hope our big name splash in Free Agency is:

Tyson Clabo - RT ATL. (Atlanta has 3 staring OL heading into free agency and it will be hard to bring all of them back.) Clabo is smart (no penalties last season) Reliable (Hasn't missed a start in 3 seasons) and has a "football mentality" (Will improve our already deadly running game on day 1) All of the characteristics Pioli and Haley covet in a player. I previously wanted to bring in Matt light for 1year based on the idea we landed a solid Tackle prospect in the draft, but since this did not happen we need someone there who will be solid for more than just 1 season. And Clabo is just that, at 30 years old, he should have a few highly productive years left allowing us to find a successor with out depending on sub-par talent in the mean time. (Potential line would be Albert, Waters, Hudson, Lilja, Clabo...Not bad)

Our 2nd flight of potential Free Agents I believe will include:

LB D'Qwell Jackson- In a 3-4 your cant have enough talented LB's. Was drafted by Romeo Crennel, and can move well side to side as well as a tackling machine when healthy (has had injury problems) Corey Mays is a free agent, and DJ and Jovan Belcher will be a better combo than last year. Jackson can be brought in to add depth, and also talent that wont cause our ILB corps to lack talent when rotations are needed. Shouldn't warrant a large ticket price, and if brought in for depth, will not be a disappointment if he doesn't work out.

S Brodney Pool- Also drafted by Crennel, is a free agent after spending a year with the Jets last season. Jon McGraw will more than likely not be back, and if not no one really cares. Pool is younger and more athletic than McGraw providing an upgraded talent to rotate with Kendrick Lewis. The Jets have more than a few big names to re-sign, so more than likely the ones lower on the radar may slip out. Pool also played college ball at Oklahoma, and grew up in Texas, getting closer to home gives him even more of a reason to get back to the mid-west.

WR Steve Breaston or Early Doucet- both FA WR's from Arizona, were drafted by Haley, and Haley loves Wide Receivers. Even though we drafted Baldwin, I believe Haley isn't done building up his receiving corps to a similar talent level to that of his Super Bowl Cardinals team.

After those I believe will be a number of role player type free agents. These are just some ideas, I know there will be lots of action.

What are your thoughts?

DC_Chiefsfan
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
ATL will resign Clabo, I like the Jackson signing, would go for matt roth too. Pool I like, but i'm more of a lance moore at wr kind of guy. Also, a name I'd like to throw in there, Jason Snelling.

DMN
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I love the idea of Clabo... But I cant believe they will let him go. I love Breaston and Jackson for sure.

What do you guys think of Abruyo Franklin from the niners? A 3-4 NT ready to make an effective impact even with this short offseason.

Jrudi
07-26-2011, 10:00 AM
ATL will resign Clabo, I like the Jackson signing, would go for matt roth too. Pool I like, but i'm more of a lance moore at wr kind of guy. Also, a name I'd like to throw in there, Jason Snelling.

Heard reports that we were tied to LaRon McClain from Baltimore.

I could see this, T Jones will probably be done after this season and we need a younger guy that can cause havoc between the tackles and spell J Charles.

Jrudi
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I love the idea of Clabo... But I cant believe they will let him go. I love Breaston and Jackson for sure.

What do you guys think of Abruyo Franklin from the niners? A 3-4 NT ready to make an effective impact even with this short offseason.

I like that!

Him or Manny Lawson I would take from San Fran.

You know I was kinda worried about this season, thinking that it was going to be a tough one (which it sill will be) but If our young guys can improve on what they put out last year, and now that we have to spend money in FA, I could see us getting some decent stop gap players that could fill the few holes we have, and keep us in the running again. I am excited to see where this year takes us.

ctchiefsfan
07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Can't say that I fully understand the terms of the new deal, but I does seem to me that the new minimum payroll could benefit us in the long run.

We've got cash we HAVE to spend, which means we should be able to sign our own UFAs QUICKLY without squabbling to much which should leave Pioli with cash in hand and time to really work the FA market.

I think this new deal is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for the Chiefs.

SAPHOJUNKIE
07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Everyone knows that Abrayo Franklin is a logical signing for KC. We have around 30 mil in cap space to fill in order to hit the floor, plus another 15 mil before the cap. Franklin is one of the premier nose tackles, behind Ngata and Wilfork, and possibly Hampton.

I would love to see us get another WR, and there are certainly plenty to be had.

I do love big targets, guys like Vincent Jackson (tagged), Malcolm Floyd (UFA), Legedu Nanee (UFA) and Mike Sims-Walker (UFA), but honestly, because Baldwin, Bowe, and Moeaki are so big, having another 6'2"+ target may make McCluster more difficult for Cassel to find and throw to accurately.

Breaston is a logical choice everyone is onto, and I've thought we would make a move for him for a while.

Other free agent WR:

Sidney Rice
Santonio Holmes
Steve Smith (NYG)
Steve Smith (CAR)
Jacoby Jones
James Jones
Braylon Edwards
Roy Williams

My top pick here is Steve Smith (NYG). I think he has excellent hands and fulfills a skill set we currently are missing.

However, it seems like we're really missing that burner. Of course, I don't see why, considering the deep ball is Cassel's weakest area. I'd rather have a strong possession guy who can get separation around 12-15 yards deep. Let DBowe and Baldwin make plays on the deep ball with their height and leaping.

I would love to see us make a move for Paul Posluzny. The guy is a tackling MACHINE and he played with Tamba in college. Of course, I'm eyeing Manti Te'o next year for the draft, and would be fine holding off until then. Manny Lawson is a high-character guy that I liked coming out of college, and would do well to come over with Franklin.

There is also speculation that we'll make a move for Tully Banta-Cain, as he is a rush OLB who knows our specific system, having played for New England. He racked up 15 sacks over the last two seasons, but honestly he strikes me as the exact same player as Gilberry, so it might be redundant. We also have Houston coming in and Cameron Sheffield returning from IR, so maybe our pass rush isn't as dire as it seems.

I would like to see us make a move for a veteran tackle. If that's Matt Light, fine, but there are certainly other options as well.

I think that, with Mays, Edwards, and Shaun Smith all UFAs, we could be easily looking at replacing them with new guys.

Personally, I want to see this list of players in Red and Gold next year:

Abrayo Franklin
Paul Posluzsny
Steve Smith
Casey Wiegmann

Who am I kidding? Let's hope someone signs Brandon Carr and we get a first rounder for his tender, then we sign Nnamdi. (we can dream).