PDA

View Full Version : Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done?

Coach
07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Sports/396/223/071911_nfllockouttalks.jpg

We have a new poll on the homepage (http://www.chiefscrowd.com).

Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done this week? Go vote and weigh in with your thoughts here in the forums.

kckidd8870
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes I will watch football this year,but I'm not going to buy any merchandise.At least this season.They make all that money and want more.They want a retirement plan.Give me a break.Save some of those millions you have in the bank.Don't buy every diamond watch,gold chain or expensive car you see.Invest some of your money.I was reading something on ,were the extra money was going to go.That they are going to save on rooking contracts.Like a retirement program for the vets.I say put it in an account and,when stadiums need refurbished or a city need a stadium,use that money.Quit putting it on the tax payer,when the NFL and the players make so much dam money.Thank about the fans for once.THe NFL ,makes all that money and can't biuld there own stadiums.It's like telling the fans,if you want to watch football,your going to put up the bill for everything and we give you nothing in return.Ya,we get the watch football and I dont know what I would do without it,but if your making all thise billions of dollars.Build your own stadiums.As the old saying goes.The rich get richer and the poor get poorier.That is the reason why.I im glad it almost over and there will be football,but they put a bitter taste in my my.If I didnt have such love for the game,I probably wouldnt watch it any more.I have lost alot of respect for the league and the players both.

Jasper
07-20-2011, 03:43 AM
That the players salaries are not 'in relation' to my job, but a % of the astronomical television revenue has never bugged me. I'm watching to be entertained, to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow fans, and to cheer my arse off FOR my team, and yes, Against a few particular teams when 'we' play 'them'.
None of that is ruined for me by the league and players redoing how they share that revenue- however I didn't pay much attention to the machinations and negotiations and I gotta figure this helped.
My being priced out of going to games was pretty much already here, and who knows, I may be blacked out to boot. Then I'm gonna be more upset.
Up til now, a pizza and my buddy's couch with a few die-hard Chiefs fans with the once in while Arrowhead experience has been great but if I can't get it on Television or somehow on the Internet, then I'm gonna have to watch only College plus the NFL "game of the week" and that will make me a bitter bitter man.
I'll defer to season ticket holders as to what the impact on them is going to be. I know parking isn't getting any cheaper, but where else can you get that adrenaline rush like "...and the Hoooome of the... CHIEFS!"
Fire Up!

Chiefster
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
The the CBA Deal gets done I will definitely return as a fan.

#58ChiefsFan
07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes.

When the lockout is over this week, next week or whenever I will still continue to support my team and the entire NFL. This is the greatest sports organization we have ever seen.

Although this is frustrating we have to keep in mind the owners are fixing potential problems for the game to continue to grow. We will not become MLB and will not see the mess the NBA has created for itself because of this.

Canada
07-20-2011, 04:16 PM
yes, but i wont smile while i do it!!

matthewschiefs
07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I never stoped being a football fan. And as long as They have a season this year I will still be a football fan can't say what will happen if theres not a season but I don't think that will happen.

chiefnut
07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
If they have a solid rookie wage cap in place, I will be happy to root loudly and as avidly as ever.
that was the biggest cause for salary excalation in the last ten years. the agents point to some high first round crappy rookie _________[fill in position] and want alot more for their all pro _________[fill in same position]. the teams need the all pro so they pony up. i have always felt rookies should have a performance based contract so that they can earn their millions if they play and play well. they should get a minimum if they're a bust!!

#58ChiefsFan
07-21-2011, 03:22 PM
If they have a solid rookie wage cap in place, I will be happy to root loudly and as avidly as ever.
that was the biggest cause for salary excalation in the last ten years. the agents point to some high first round crappy rookie _________[fill in position] and want alot more for their all pro _________[fill in same position]. the teams need the all pro so they pony up. i have always felt rookies should have a performance based contract so that they can earn their millions if they play and play well. they should get a minimum if they're a bust!!

Jamarcus Russel comes to mind lol

100% agree with your post, they have to be performance based for four years if they're building a fair structure. After the fourth year I'm ok with them being UFA's and they can get fair market value based on there previous time in.

Connie Jo
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I never stoped being a football fan. And as long as They have a season this year I will still be a football fan can't say what will happen if theres not a season but I don't think that will happen.

This is how I feel too. I never left. I'm a Chiefs fan in heart and soul for life. I can't change that, the Chiefs are a part of who I am, literally. Dad became a fan in 1963, I was 7 yrs. old, so in memory I can't ever remember the Chiefs not being a part of my life. To not have Chiefs in my life, would be like cutting off both arms & legs, for lack of a better explanation.

Besides...I never truly felt the lockout was worthy of any upset, stress, nor concern. I've felt for the most part it was a business matter between them, and they would indeed resolve it prior to the season beginning. The first week or so of the lockout, I bought into the thought of no season, which had me upset. Well, then I realized I was wasting precious time & energy worrying about something that was months from even remotely becoming a reality.

I made up my mind not to get caught up in all the media hype & spin, of which in my opinion created much of the fan upset by exaggerating the seriousness of the lockout and business negotiations. Ratings = profit, and the media did their job stirring up interest twisting facts & speculation to keep the fans interest peaked & their tempers. The media, including major media sources...didn't have many reliable 'leaks', since the negotiations were highly confidential...their reports were based upon meer speculation more than fact...they had to speculate, they didn't have any facts to report to keep the story a top story of which would stimulate ratings.

Based upon my own perception and a few sources of my own, of which may or may not be reliable...I believed the lockout would be resolved in time for the regular season to begin. It is my understanding two players in particular have been a problem for both sides. I will post the article below revealing those players, of which I consider more reliable than not, or I wouldn't post it. ;)

Connie Jo
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
NFL Lockout: Owners Could Vote On Agreement That Is Not "Global"
Jul 21 12:33p by Jason Brewer (http://philly.sbnation.com/authors/Jason%20Brewer)

You've probably heard the phrase "global agreement" thrown around in relation to the NFL lockout in recent weeks. Basically, it refers to an agreement that would cover all the current issues between the owners and players. There are three major issues that need to be hammered out. First and foremost is an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement. That would set the rules for players movement, contracts, practices, virtually everything.

However, that's not the only issue. The two sides need to come to an agreement on potential damages in the TV money case as well as settle the Brady lawsuit. So when the owners specifically speak about a "global agreement" they want to to settle these lawsuits and get a new CBA all in one shot. Unfortunately, certain snags in the Brady case may prevent that and the owners reportedly could vote to approve the new CBA without settling the other matters.

In other words, there would be an agreement, but it wouldn't be "global." Whether or not that means that the league can open up for business isn't clear at this point. The players were expected to vote on all the same issues yesterday, but didn't.

CBS Sports is reporting (http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/30753065) that one of the stumbling blocks preventing the players from approving a new CBA yesterday was that Logan Mankins (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/nfl/players/1685/logan-mankins) and Vincent Jackson (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/nfl/players/3003/vincent-jackson), both plaintiffs in the "Brady case," have continued to insist that they deserve $10 million in cash compensation as part of a settlement in the case.

The source in the article says that as of late last night, neither player's representatives had dropped their request and the NFL will not agree to pay them. Both players have been negatively affected by the franchise tag, which they see as a restraint of trade and believe the owners owe them compensation. They are absolutely right about what the tag is, but the fact is that it was something collectively bargained by their union. Why the owners should now be liable for utilizing a device the players agreed to is hard to understand.

Reports were that last night the players did agree to conditionally approve a new CBA, but the condition was that the Brady case plaintiffs settle or drop their claims. Effectively, they've put the onus on those players now. Mankins and Jackson may be frustrating other players with this delay. This week, Vikings (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/nfl/teams/minnesota-vikings) punter Chris Kluwe (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/nfl/players/3159/chris-kluwe) called the Brady plaintiffs (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15337556/kluwe-doesnt-back-down-from-tweet-about-jackson-mankins) "greedy" and "douchebags."

Connie Jo
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I might add, that even though a majority of media reported yesterday that their was no vote on the CBA...that was misleading. All they did was stir up more fan upset by not including in their headline & accompaning blurbs...which is all most people read...is that there was a CONDITIONAL vote taken by players, a vote in principle some called it. That vote DID PASS, but was not a permanent vote because of what is mentioned in the article above...those players holding out in the Brady suit. The NFLPA advised players not to take a permanent vote until that issue is resolved or cleared in some way making a permanent vote more comfortable for all parties involved. The NFL owners also need that issue resolved in a way making it comfortable for them to lift the lockout.

Ryfo18
07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
My answer to the thread title: YES

buffman316
07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Yes, I will return as a fan, especially if the deal is done this week. This could be the most exciting free agency period in a long time and the Chiefs organization can actually come out of this deal in better shape. If we don't miss training camp and any games, there are no problems here!

kckidd8870
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
One thing i DO LIKE,IS THEY HAVE TO SPEND ALL THE CAP MONEY OR IT IS SPLIT BY THE PLAYERS.so WE SHOULD GET A FEW GOOD FREE AGENTS.

Connie Jo
07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
That the players salaries are not 'in relation' to my job, but a % of the astronomical television revenue has never bugged me. I'm watching to be entertained, to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow fans, and to cheer my arse off FOR my team, and yes, Against a few particular teams when 'we' play 'them'.
None of that is ruined for me by the league and players redoing how they share that revenue- however I didn't pay much attention to the machinations and negotiations and I gotta figure this helped.
My being priced out of going to games was pretty much already here, and who knows, I may be blacked out to boot. Then I'm gonna be more upset.
Up til now, a pizza and my buddy's couch with a few die-hard Chiefs fans with the once in while Arrowhead experience has been great but if I can't get it on Television or somehow on the Internet, then I'm gonna have to watch only College plus the NFL "game of the week" and that will make me a bitter bitter man.
I'll defer to season ticket holders as to what the impact on them is going to be. I know parking isn't getting any cheaper, but where else can you get that adrenaline rush like "...and the Hoooome of the... CHIEFS!"
Fire Up!

Jasper, I don't know what is feasible for your budget or not, but if you live in or are close to the KC metro area...attending a game is actually fairly reasonable by comparison to many other entertainment options. I have upper level season tickets, which cost $250.00 per season for 10 games...2 pre-season, 8 regular season, equating to $25.00 per game.

Parking will be $23.00 for me, since I'm a Jackson County taxpayer, $4 of the $5 increase in 2011 doesn't apply to me, only non Jackson County residents. You also have the option of parking across from Arrowhead in one of the independent lots for about $10. Another option is for many game goers to ride together in one vehicle spliting the parking cost among them.

$48 per game is my cost if driving myself & parking inside Arrowhead. I rarely buy food inside the stadium, rather eat at friends tailgates prior to the game if hungry. There also are usually several tailgates set up by businesses & organizations promoting their product/service, of which offer complimentary food. Heck, for that matter, fellow Chiefs fans are generous when tailgating, most always there are many private group tailgaters offering unknown fellow Chiefs fans food as they walk by their tailgate. Many offer you a beer or two as well! Even when telling them no thank you many will insist, LOL.

tornadospotter
07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/07/4.jpg

We have a new poll on the homepage (http://www.chiefscrowd.com).

Will you return as a fan if the NFL gets a CBA deal gets done this week? Go vote and weigh in with your thoughts here in the forums.
I never left as a fan, only because I am positive that a deal would be done in time, however, I will boycott any NFL merchandise, if any game is not played! This in accordance with fan strike. One game has been canceled. The Hall of Fame Game. The first game of the preseason. Does that count as a missed game?

okikcfan
07-24-2011, 05:20 PM
To me this has not been that big of a deal. It was a contract negotiation. Besides the hall of fame game what have we lost? I for one felt it was not going to last into the season, too much money to lose. I was at one time a BIG baseball fan back in the day until they all went on strike because they didn't make enough millions. I lost intrest after that and have never really kept up with it since. As a former union member (Boeing) I know if you go on strike you can never make up for what you have lost by not working. Same goes for the NFL Owners and Players. Let the FA begin!

matthewschiefs
07-24-2011, 05:53 PM
I never left as a fan, only because I am positive that a deal would be done in time, however, I will boycott any NFL merchandise, if any game is not played! This in accordance with fan strike. One game has been canceled. The Hall of Fame Game. The first game of the preseason. Does that count as a missed game?

It's the bears and rams so no :lol::chiefs:

matthewschiefs
07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
To me this has not been that big of a deal. It was a contract negotiation. Besides the hall of fame game what have we lost? I for one felt it was not going to last into the season, too much money to lose. I was at one time a BIG baseball fan back in the day until they all went on strike because they didn't make enough millions. I lost intrest after that and have never really kept up with it since. As a former union member (Boeing) I know if you go on strike you can never make up for what you have lost by not working. Same goes for the NFL Owners and Players. Let the FA begin!

I am the same. I still watch the NBA but don't get into it to much anymore. ANd they are once again in a lockout that looks like it can be worse then the NFLS. I won't really miss it as I watch college hopes more. But I don't no what I would do if there were not Chiefs games on sundays.

tornadospotter
07-24-2011, 10:17 PM
It's the bears and rams so no :lol::chiefs:

Okay well and good either way, I can not afford over priced, NFL merchandise anyway. :lol:

GarH
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm still very much a fan and really looking forward to this year.

Chiefster
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Looks as if the deal is done! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Hayvern
07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I never quit being a fan, I have no hard feelings for either side of this argument.

matthewschiefs
07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
FOOTBALL is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TopekaRoy
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I find it hard believe that any real football ban would quit watching the NFL because of the lockout. I (like most others) knew before the lockout even began that it was going to take until the last possible second to reach a deal, but that there was never really any chance of missing out on any significant portion of the season, and sure enogh, right on schedule, the players and owners have reached an agreement. There was no way players were going to give up any of their paychecks and no way owners would allow any games to be missed.

You can't blame the players (who generate all of the revenue) for trying to get as much as they can. By the same token, you can't blame the owners (who directly pay the players and assume all of the risk) for wanting to give up as little as they have to. That is just the nature of professional sports in the 21st century.

I just took the poll and was surprised to see that 22% of the voters either won't watch or undecided about watching the NFL this year. Not surprisingly, none of them chose to post their reasons in this thread. My guess is they will be tuning in football every Sunday this year just like they always have.

What are the alternatives? College football is great, but it's a poor substitute for Pro football and has a different "feel" to the games. The United Football League (if you can find a game on cable somewhere) is a joke by comparison and only has 5 teams!

Boycotting the NFL by not watching the games won't hurt the players - they will still get their money. It won't hurt the owners - their contracts with the networks are guaranteed. It will only hurt the networks that carry football, because they will lose advertising revenue if ratings are lower.

How can you be upset about the possibility of missing some games because of the lockout and then decide you won't watch when none of the games will be missed? That makes no sense to me.

As a Bears fan, I'm a tiny bit disappointed that the Hall-of-Fame game was cancelled, but that game is pretty much a joke anyway. Often they don't play the whole game anyway on account of rain!

The CBA negotiations played out just the way we thought it would and no real damage has been done. I'm ready for some football and I'll be watching every week!

matthewschiefs
07-25-2011, 11:29 PM
I find it hard believe that any real football ban would quit watching the NFL because of the lockout. I (like most others) knew before the lockout even began that it was going to take until the last possible second to reach a deal, but that there was never really any chance of missing out on any significant portion of the season, and sure enogh, right on schedule, the players and owners have reached an agreement. There was no way players were going to give up any of their paychecks and no way owners would allow any games to be missed.

You can't blame the players (who generate all of the revenue) for trying to get as much as they can. By the same token, you can't blame the owners (who directly pay the players and assume all of the risk) for wanting to give up as little as they have to. That is just the nature of professional sports in the 21st century.

I just took the poll and was surprised to see that 22% of the voters either won't watch or undecided about watching the NFL this year. Not surprisingly, none of them chose to post their reasons in this thread. My guess is they will be tuning in football every Sunday this year just like they always have.

What are the alternatives? College football is great, but it's a poor substitute for Pro football and has a different "feel" to the games. The United Football League (if you can find a game on cable somewhere) is a joke by comparison and only has 5 teams!

Boycotting the NFL by not watching the games won't hurt the players - they will still get their money. It won't hurt the owners - their contracts with the networks are guaranteed. It will only hurt the networks that carry football, because they will lose advertising revenue if ratings are lower.

How can you be upset about the possibility of missing some games because of the lockout and then decide you won't watch when none of the games will be missed? That makes no sense to me.

As a Bears fan, I'm a tiny bit disappointed that the Hall-of-Fame game was cancelled, but that game is pretty much a joke anyway. Often they don't play the whole game anyway on account of rain!

The CBA negotiations played out just the way we thought it would and no real damage has been done. I'm ready for some football and I'll be watching every week!

I agree. I am not surprised at all that they got a deal done just to much money for both sides to give up not to have a season.