PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sign Steve Breaston

Ryfo18
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Jim Trotter of SI.com is reporting that Steve Breaston is coming to KC. Contract is 5-years with $9M guaranteed.

I like this signing, Breaston will be a nice option in the slot for Cassel.

SAPHOJUNKIE
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Adam Schefter reporting as well.

I love it. I wanted Breaston last year. Dude just makes catches, and we need some sure hands. Let's not forget all the drops the past couple years.

Connie Jo
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Jim Trotter of SI.com is reporting that Steve Breaston is coming to KC. Contract is 5-years with $9M guaranteed.

I like this signing, Breaston will be a nice option in the slot for Cassel.

You beat me to it Ryan, hahaha. I was busy posting the news we had signed Breaston on related FB groups, which is where I first read the news from various sources there.

KILLER B's!!!!!! Bowe, Baldwin, and Breaston!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

Coach
07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
This is awesome news. I expected some action in the WR space. Any team that starts Kevin Curtis in the playoffs after never playing a game on the team has a MAJOR deficiency at WR! That playoff game is completely different if we have 2 WR's and aren't one dimensional. That position needed to be addressed early and often in the offseason.

With the loss of Ron Edwards, the attention now turns to NT. And we still need another decent backup WR imo.

Drunker Hillbilly
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I have watched this guy for the last few years in Az. HUGE upgrade at WR for the Chiefs!!!

stadw0n306
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Hell yeah!!!!

70 chiefsfan70
07-27-2011, 08:57 PM
This is great news indeed!

matthewschiefs
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really looking forward to seeing this team on the field this year.

TopekaRoy
07-27-2011, 09:24 PM
This is very good news. This plus the addition of Baldwin will take pressure off of Bowe, and improve the Chiefs passing game. With defenses having to respect the pass can you see the run game getting even BETER? The offense could be scary good this year! It wouldn't surprise me if they average over 30 points per game. I'm having flashbacks to a decade or so ago, but this time we'll actually have some defense!

kckidd8870
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Great news,now trade Bowe for Fitzgerald and a draft pick next year.We would be set.I like Bowe and all but Fitz is the man.I have a feeling Fitz will be here next year.Arizona better sign him to a big contract this year.If they don't and the Chiefs have a good year.Fitz will be here next year.If we do keep Bowe,ill be good with that.I can hear Haley now.Come on scott we can make a deal for Fitz.We don't need know stinky d-fense.We will beat them 49 to 42. All kidding aside.I'm glad we got Breaston.Go Chiefs

Boxermm187
07-27-2011, 09:36 PM
talk about locked and loaded. i am really excited to see this team on the field. now, we need cassel to step it up
and we'll be fine

DC_Chiefsfan
07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm giddy!! I can't wait just to see a preseason game now!!! Even our friend Bill Will loves this one! We may end up with the best receiving corps in the game this season. We still have Horne and Tucker being brought up as well....and DEX!!!

AFC West Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest)

Now just sign a veteran tackle.... eh hem...Bushrod, and some decent Dline depth and we're in the super bowl.

Not kidding, Chiefs, super bowl run, this year!!!!!!!!!!

loyalchief91
07-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Great signing. I like seeing our WR corps getting better.

slc chief
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
love the signing

TopekaRoy
07-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Chiefs offense just got more explosive!

This is a natural fit. Breaston will be able to come right in and contribute in Haley’s offense. Expect him to be a slot receiver. He is a dangerous player who can move the chains. He had 47 catches for 718 yards in 13 games last season. He had 77 catches for 1,008 in 2008 in Haley’s final season with the Cardinals.

Breaston is going to make some plays in Kansas City. But, most importantly, so are a lot of other people.
I expect Baldwin to be ready to contribute right away. He is a vertical threat who will stretch the field. A Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston receiving trio is strong and it’s much better than last year’s receiving crew when it was Bowe and no one else.

Add second-year tight end Tony Moeaki (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13289) and second-year running back/receiver Dexter McCluster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13207) and the Chiefs have one of the most varied passing offenses in the NFL.

Everyone talks about how quarterback Matt Cassel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8644) needs to get better. Well, he just got better with these additions. Cassel has to be drooling to have these weapons. Don’t forget, Kansas City has the No. 12 ranked offense in the NFL. Complete article (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/29406/chiefs-offense-just-got-more-explosive)

chiefnut
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
You beat me to it Ryan, hahaha. I was busy posting the news we had signed Breaston on related FB groups, which is where I first read the news from various sources there.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

i hope they're the "busy B's"

Ryfo18
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Love this!!!

otf
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice pickup...

gcsofa
07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
AWESOME SIGNING!!!!! Now, all we need is Franklin from the 49ers!!!!

tornadospotter
07-28-2011, 01:05 AM
I am in favor of this signing. But even more excited that the bovine excrement of the NFL Players and Owners is done! They Got it Done! But I wonder, how can a union that has disbanded, get a legal deal done? Some thing is not correct. Did I miss something? Did the players union recreate its self? Is there a player union? Explain to me, those of you that are more informed.

TopekaRoy
07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
I am in favor of this signing. But even more excited that the bovine excrement of the NFL Players and Owners is done! They Got it Done! But I wonder, how can a union that has disbanded, get a legal deal done? Some thing is not correct. Did I miss something? Did the players union recreate its self? Is there a player union? Explain to me, those of you that are more informed.

As I understand it, The NFLPA decertified as a union and is officially a "trade association." Player reps from each team approved the new CBA in principle. The next step is for a majority of players to approve reforming the union. The New England Patriots were the first team to do this, voting unanimously in favor on Tuesday (link (http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6809384/new-england-pats-first-team-vote-recertify-union?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)). Once at least 50% of the players have voted for recertification there are a few issues that still need to be negotiated, but can only be done with an existing union. These include drug testing, player discipline and disability and pension programs. Both owners and players have promised that this will not be a problem and a deal will be worked out by August 4th. Then the players will vote for ratification of the new CBA.

Owners agreed to end the lockout (which players never wanted in the first place) because the players have, in essence, promised to vote in favor of the new CBA once it is finalized.

I think I'm pretty accurate here and I hope I am explaining it correctly and clearly.

Xanathol
07-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Sexy pickup - Bowe finally has help this year.

Sn@keIze
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I was never impressed with Arenas as returner.

Hopefully, Breaston will replace him

ctchiefsfan
07-28-2011, 06:55 AM
This is OUTSTANDING news! The offense just got a whole lot scarier and more balance. We've got more ways to beat the bad guys now!

I'd surely like to see us working on the O and D lines now.

GO FOR IT PIOLI!!!!!!! We want a Superbowl NOW!!!

:chiefs:

buffman316
07-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I like the signing too, this was someone I was hoping we would get. I agree with Coach remaining needs - NT back up QB and WR

chief31
07-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Very good pickup.

I think we are now pretty well set at WR with Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and McCluster.

I'd really like to see someone at OT and maybe NT.

Beyond that, I really don't think we have any glaring needs at any starting positions.

Just have to see which positions play up to their potential, and which don't from there.

Pretty hard to be discouraged about the roster right now, and even more difficult if we re-sign key guys and maybe even get a decent OT and NT.

OPLookn
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
I was never impressed with Arenas as returner.

Hopefully, Breaston will replace him

Actually my thought is that McCluster will become the backup WR and full time return man.

Jrudi
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I like the signing, not sure if we will land anymore WR's, if so they will be role players. We signed a Rookie FA from Pioli's Alma Mater (So he is probably high on him, and knows a lot about him) We resigned Copper, and have Jeremy Urban coming back from injury (I know he's not to exciting) but I don't know if it will be a priority now to bring more in. Not saying it wont happen though.

talk about locked and loaded. i am really excited to see this team on the field. now, we need cassel to step it up
and we'll be fine

I think People are forgetting we landed a hidden Gem in Jim Zorn. I know people are worried now that Wies left Cassel wont produce, but even though Zorn had a tough run as a head coach, people forget that each QB he has worked with throughout his career has had career best seasons (examples: Hasselbeck, Flacco, etc.) I think that Zorn will build on what Cassel learned last year, and he will hopefully improve going forward.

Actually my thought is that McCluster will become the backup WR and full time return man.

McCluster will probably be more productive as a WR this year now that we have a WR corp that secondaries will have to respect. The receivers we brought in paired with Bowe should help open up space underneath for McCluster to work with.

As far as return men go, We signed 2 Rookie FA's that have experience as return men. WR Josue Paul, Central Connecticut State (Went to Pioli's Alma Mater) and DB Demond Washington, Auburn. They should more than likely compete with Arenas, McCluster, and Breaston for return opportunities.

honda522
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
This is a good pick up.