PDA

View Full Version : Brian Waters cut....

Yoda
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
...soon to be a Raider.

Chiefs released 11-year veteran G Brian Waters, who was as good as there was in the game during prime of his career. Per Schefter tweet.

Chiefs announce they've released veteran guard Brian Waters
La Caforna tweet

tornadospotter
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, I am surprised about this.

Yoda
07-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I was pretty shocked about it too. Now, I don't know if he is going to be a Raider....but...there is a definite need for a veteran like Waters I am sure he has atleast to more years left....in that time he would be an awesome mentor.Plus he can stay within the division and play the Chiefs twice a year.

jason1981
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
who do do we have to take his place? i know we drafted a guard last year but didnt he get injured. Have we seen enough to know if he can step in waters place? or does this mean we might give our rookie that we drafted hudson who is suppose to be a center a chance at guard? Any thoughts?

kckidd8870
07-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Me and a buddy of mine was saying,we thought they would cut Waters.We were talking about it last night actually.The Chiefs have something up there sleeve.I think they start Asomoah and hudson and bring in a guy like Justin Blalock,from Atlanta.I dont think he has signed with anyone yet.He is a beast.like 6'5 and 335 and is an animal.They Chiefs are tired of getting beat up front.Lilja might even be a backup.Move B. Rich in to gaurd.There gonna get bigger and more physical up front.They are getting tired of being man handled up front.The Chiefs are going to do something big here.Just you wait and see.Watch out for David Mims 6'8" 335 also.Seen a film clip on this guy.He is a beast.The Raiders and the Chargers arent going to man handle us like last year.Yes Charles had a good year but it wasnt becuase of are line play.Anyway ,good luck to Brian waters,it was fun watching you all those years.Go chiefs

jap1
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Kinda surprised, but not really. He was on his way out the door as they try to build up the line.

Here is the big question, what is this move in anticipation of? A couple of scenarios:
1) They think Asamoah is ready to start, so there was no need for Waters. Asamoah starts at LG, everyone else stays where they were.
2) They move Albert to LG, and are about to sign a big name LT.
3) Hudson (2nd rd draft pick) is expected to spend one year at LG then move to C after Weigmann hangs it up.

jap1
07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
who do do we have to take his place? i know we drafted a guard last year but didnt he get injured. Have we seen enough to know if he can step in waters place? or does this mean we might give our rookie that we drafted hudson who is suppose to be a center a chance at guard? Any thoughts?

I dont think Asamoah (the draft pick from last year) was hurt. If he was I just dont remember hearing about it. He has been learning from the sidelines.

rodu
07-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I only remember Sheffield being hurt, of last years rookies

hometeam
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
does not surprise me, even though he has been prety solid, his play has declined, and Pioli isnt known for mushy stuff, he does what needs to be done.

With a heavy heart, I am ok with this move.

matthewschiefs
07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
This is the first surprise move from the Chiefs for me this offseason. I thought he would be back for one more year. Wondering what they have planned. He was one good player for many years. He will be missed.

jason1981
07-28-2011, 11:50 PM
i would like to see asamoah and hudson start at both guards. or bring in a big LT and move albert to guard since thats his natural position.

chief31
07-29-2011, 12:16 AM
i would like to see asamoah and hudson start at both guards. or bring in a big LT and move albert to guard since thats his natural position.

How many OGs do you want to start?

:lol:

ctchiefsfan
07-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry to see BW go.....

That said, I think Pioli is honestly interested in trying to build a dynasty, not just a "good team". I've seen enough of those in the last 20+ years.

I'd honestly rather see the GM take some gambles than simply try to build a team that often makes the playoffs but goes nowhere.

Jrudi
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I dont think Asamoah (the draft pick from last year) was hurt. If he was I just dont remember hearing about it. He has been learning from the sidelines.

Asamoah wasn't hurt last year at all, he actually started two games for us, but most people didn't know that because he played good, you didn't notice our starters gone. He filled in for Lilja when he was hurt, and took over for waters in the Indy game when he slid to LT when Albert got hurt. He played in our goal line packages, and all Special Teams packages.

Dude is a beast, and I'm sure when he is ready he will do well, but I have heard that we may have signed more than just Breastin so far, and that we are just keeping it quiet until tonight. so we will see!

Drunker Hillbilly
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I am surprised to see so many surprised at this move. I was thinking it was only a matter of time actually. Great guy and has been a good player for many years with us but his time was up. It happens....

Jrudi
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I am surprised to see so many surprised at this move. I was thinking it was only a matter of time actually. Great guy and has been a good player for many years with us but his time was up. It happens....

I think the only reason most saw it as a surprise was that people questioned weather or not we were ready to move on (Ready to hand over the starting role to Asamoah)

I honestly figured he would be done (Retire) after this season. The only reason I figured he would be here for one more season was to allow another year for the younger guys to learn (Asamoah, and Hudson)

I wish him luck if he moves on, and won't be upset if they did it to restructure his contract for just 1 more year. we will see...

Seek
07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I am not surprised and I am actually kind of glad. It will give Jon the opportunity to improve the offensive line.

I have not seen a single season from Brian Waters since Willie Roaf left that was Pro-bowl material. He was making the pro-bowl based on his wonderful character off and on the field and the name recognition he build with Will Shields and Willie Roaf on this team.

Roaf Clearly made him a better player and two years ago he had a horrible season. He did better last season but I saw him beat so bad on some plays, it was clear to me that he was just getting to old and slow to compete.

I would have loved to keep him one more year but he is due to get paid 8 million this year.

Jon Asomoah started a game last year and held his own very well. I actually believe Jon is an upgrade at this poistion. Maybe not at the start of the season but by the end of the season he is better suited to compete against top teir defensive lines. Watching him play special teams last year, I could have swore I was watching Willie Roaf out there. He is a big guy.

Seek
07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
You know, all the people who signed the Declaration of Independence were hunted down and killed right.

Mike Vrable and Brian Waters sat accross the table form Clark Hunt this entire Lock out, while Rudy Niswanger was the Chiefs player rep.

All three are no longer on the Chiefs roster.

Scott Pollard Blew out Tom Brady's knee, and was a surprise cut by Pioli.

I think he holds grudges...

OPLookn
07-29-2011, 12:24 PM
You know, all the people who signed the Declaration of Independence were hunted down and killed right.

Mike Vrable and Brian Waters sat accross the table form Clark Hunt this entire Lock out, while Rudy Niswanger was the Chiefs player rep.

All three are no longer on the Chiefs roster.

Scott Pollard Blew out Tom Brady's knee, and was a surprise cut by Pioli.

I think he holds grudges...

The first two were old in football terms and the other was a stop gap til someone better could be found. Pollard blew lots of things but the majority of things he blew were tackles.

Pioli doesn't do people favors and I agree with that because these guys are getting paid millions of dollars. He sure as heck better not be in the business of football and keeping guys around because, well, he may not be able to get the job done but he's a nice guy isn't he.

ctchiefsfan
07-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Having a good memory for good or bad turns done to you is a good thing. But I think suggesting these three are gone because of their activities during the strike is a bit of a reach.

I feel pretty confident Vrable would have been back at least for one more year if he had not gotten the college coaching offer.

I'm not willing to buy into the idea that Pioli would get rid of a valuable asset strictly because of that player's activities during the lockout.

I'm firmly convinced that Pioli's focus is strictly on doing what he thinks will make the Chiefs a Superbowl contender.

okikcfan
07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Having a good memory for good or bad turns done to you is a good thing. But I think suggesting these three are gone because of their activities during the strike is a bit of a reach.

I feel pretty confident Vrable would have been back at least for one more year if he had not gotten the college coaching offer.

I'm not willing to buy into the idea that Pioli would get rid of a valuable asset strictly because of that player's activities during the lockout.

I'm firmly convinced that Pioli's focus is strictly on doing what he thinks will make the Chiefs a Superbowl contender.

I 100 percent agree!

Seek
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
The first two were old in football terms and the other was a stop gap til someone better could be found. Pollard blew lots of things but the majority of things he blew were tackles.

Pioli doesn't do people favors and I agree with that because these guys are getting paid millions of dollars. He sure as heck better not be in the business of football and keeping guys around because, well, he may not be able to get the job done but he's a nice guy isn't he.

I was just starting a consipiracy MAN. I agree, specially since Vrabel retired on his own.

70 chiefsfan70
07-30-2011, 03:13 PM
This move surprised me alot as well. But it sure will free up a lot of money, making a big FA signing more possible.

chief31
07-31-2011, 02:30 AM
After a couple of days to think about this...It really does start to raise some major concrens.

Maybe there will be some addition yet, that would counter those concerns.

But, as oof now, if no major addition should come, our O-line loses it's most dependable performer, while already very suspect as a unit.

I still consider Branden Albert to be a big liability in pass protection, and LOT, that is a real problem. But the left side is where we were able to run the ball with Charles.

Now, take away the man who was helping him on that left side, and you have to wonder if our run game loses anything there, and if Waters' help in pass protection may be miissed.

I think that, after seeing our last two games last year, if you are confident in our O-line, then you may need an intervention.

Our O-line excelled at one thing in 2010, and that one thing is Jamaal Charles running the ball beside Brian Waters.

I don't see anything that has changed looking like noticable upgrades. So I have to really raise my eyebrow toward our O-line for now.

chiefsrule
07-31-2011, 08:30 AM
After a couple of days to think about this...It really does start to raise some major concrens.

But, as oof now, if no major addition should come, our O-line loses it's most dependable performer, while already very suspect as a unit.

I still consider Branden Albert to be a big liability in pass protection, and LOT, that is a real problem. But the left side is where we were able to run the ball with Charles.

Now, take away the man who was helping him on that left side, and you have to wonder if our run game loses anything there, and if Waters' help in pass protection may be miissed.

I think that, after seeing our last two games last year, if you are confident in our O-line, then you may need an intervention.

Our O-line excelled at one thing in 2010, and that one thing is Jamaal Charles running the ball beside Brian Waters.

I don't see anything that has changed looking like noticable upgrades. So I have to really raise my eyebrow toward our O-line for now.

I totally agree with you. And Charles made our line look good with his speed to get past defenders. Without Charles in the lineup there was not much there for holes for anyone else. And why we didn't at least try to get a late round draft pick for Waters is beyond me. This was a very questionable move. Definitely wasn't made for what was best for the organization. Maybe Clark's wallet yes, but not for the team.

Hayvern
07-31-2011, 11:08 PM

I just don't get this team's thinking when it comes to offensive line. We used to have one of the best lines in all of football and we just don't have it anymore. I don't see what these guys see in what we have on the line right now.

Chiefster
08-01-2011, 12:44 AM
The O-line has been my biggest concern for three straight years.

KristofLaw
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
He will be missed. Thanks for being a great representative of our Chiefs Nation!

Seek
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Has anyone signed Waters yet? Can we get him to resign with a lesser contract? He would still be very valuable if he wasn't due 8 million.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Has anyone signed Waters yet? Can we get him to resign with a lesser contract? He would still be very valuable if he wasn't due 8 million.

Thanks for bringing this up again. I thought from the first that this might be a calculated gamble designed to let us resign him for a 1 year contract for less money. I'd really like to see him back for another year if it was going to cost less than $8 mill.

Despite the protestations of "chiefsrule", I think we are doing a fine job of bringing in or keeping some outstanding veterans that will contribute a great deal to both our performance this year and also the speedy maturing of our exceptionally young team.

:chiefs:

AkChief49
09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
looks like the Patriots are kicking the tires-

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/9/3/2403528/brian-waters-new-england-patriots-chiefs

loyalchief91
09-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Patriots signed him

SIC J
09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Patriots signed him

Just saw that

Chiefster
09-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Now watch him have a Pro Bowl season.

ctchiefsfan
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Easier to do that in NE than in KC. Wish we had kept him, but I wish him well in NE (except November 21st!)

:chiefs: