PDA

View Full Version : Top Remaining FA's

Jrudi
08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Pat Kirwan posted his top 40 Remaining Free Agents that could be locked up with bargain pricing.

40 Top Remaining Free Agents on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8212573f/article/potential-bargains-remain-on-freeagent-market?module=HP11_hot_topics)

What are people thoughts of the remaining? who is on our wish list?

Im still liking Aubrayo Franklin at our NT, but we Signed Kelly Gregg so I can't see this coming true but we can wish.

As for bigger names I really want to land FB LeRon McClain, and would like to nab Ty Warren as well. Both would be huge upgrades to their specific positions, and would greatly impact the competitiveness of our team.

WR I would love Steve Smith (NYG) or Malcom Floyd (SD) and it sounds like Pioli is still trying to add to our WR Corps, so we will see.

as for the 2nd tier guys... Still think I would like to see us try to bring in some safety help. I'm Thinkin Brodney Pool from NYJ (Drafted by Crennel, and could rotate at FS with Lewis) We resigned McGraw, but I would much rather see him only play special teams, and minor sub packages due to sub-par pass coverage skills.

and by the looks of things there isn't much left to choose from on the O-line... Possibly Max Starks (PIT) at RT but don't know much about him.

All in all I know we won't grab all of these guys, but we can wish, and I wanted to see what your thoughts were as well.

chiefsrule
08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
We should have signed Franklin instead of Gregg. You are right I doubt we sign both and promised Gregg a starting spot when we signed him. I am not sure which decent receiver would want to come here and be our 4th wideout on the depth chart. Ty Warren would be a good signing and I think could signal the end of Tyson Jackson days starting next year. I HOPE. We do need someone better than McGraw back there!!!

DMN
08-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Call me crazy but I am in love with the Berry/Lewis tandem... Kendrick Lewis has all the physical skills. If he does his homework this preseason he will be a menace...

4 picks as a 4th round rookie while rotating with mcgraw.

Sn@keIze
08-02-2011, 02:53 AM
I would really like to see Tulloch from the Titans on this squad.

Canada
08-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Call me crazy but I am in love with the Berry/Lewis tandem... Kendrick Lewis has all the physical skills. If he does his homework this preseason he will be a menace...

4 picks as a 4th round rookie while rotating with mcgraw.You're crazy

Seek
08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
We should have signed Franklin instead of Gregg. You are right I doubt we sign both and promised Gregg a starting spot when we signed him. I am not sure which decent receiver would want to come here and be our 4th wideout on the depth chart. Ty Warren would be a good signing and I think could signal the end of Tyson Jackson days starting next year. I HOPE. We do need someone better than McGraw back there!!!

There is a lot of questions out there asking if Franklin was really all that good or if he was hyped up simply because the Niner put a franchise tag on him last year and he was due to make a lot of money.

I think Franklin found the market was not that big for him and probably got a lesser deal than what the Niner probably originally offered him last year.

With Powe in training, I am fine with Gregg.

I am concerned wihth Warren. He isn't young and he sit out last year with a hip injury.

Not sure if Houston and Denver let him leave because he wanted to, I am feeling it is because he is failing their testing and they wont sign him.

Jrudi
08-02-2011, 10:23 AM

4 picks as a 4th round rookie while rotating with mcgraw.

I love that tandem as well, and Although I think we need to add a safety I am not insinuating that I think we need someone to take Lewis's starting spot. I mostly want to add safety help beacuse I think Jon McGraw is not talented enough to be effective in sub packages, and in rotation.

I think this year, our secondary could be considered one of the best young groups in the league as a whole.

I would really like to see Tulloch from the Titans on this squad.

Tulloch Signed with the Lions, Teaming back up with Schwartz, he was the D-coordinator in Tennessee when they drafted him.

DMN
08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
You're crazy

Fair enough... but you have to admit that our safeties are badass!!!

chiefsrule
08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
There is a lot of questions out there asking if Franklin was really all that good or if he was hyped up simply because the Niner put a franchise tag on him last year and he was due to make a lot of money.

I think Franklin found the market was not that big for him and probably got a lesser deal than what the Niner probably originally offered him last year.

With Powe in training, I am fine with Gregg.

I am concerned wihth Warren. He isn't young and he sit out last year with a hip injury.

Not sure if Houston and Denver let him leave because he wanted to, I am feeling it is because he is failing their testing and they wont sign him.

Pro Football Focus graded Franklin as the No. 2 run-stopping interior lineman in football last season, and he was the anchor for a 49ers defense that allowed the fewest yards per carry (3.46) in the NFC

Hayvern
08-03-2011, 01:43 AM
OK, I am going to say it and get flamed. I would like to see Bulger come in as a backup. The guy has some experience and while he is not starting material, he would be a good experienced QB that could come in if Cassel went down.

Of the rest, McClain would be a good pick up, and I would love to see a Steve Smith or maybe even Braylon Edwards on this team. I don't think that will happen though.

Outside of that, I don't really give a flip over any of these guys that remain. I still think we need offensive line help, but I also believe that our new offensive line coach will get those guys into shape.

josh1971
08-03-2011, 02:02 AM
OK, I am going to say it and get flamed. I would like to see Bulger come in as a backup. The guy has some experience and while he is not starting material, he would be a good experienced QB that could come in if Cassel went down.

Of the rest, McClain would be a good pick up, and I would love to see a Steve Smith or maybe even Braylon Edwards on this team. I don't think that will happen though.

Outside of that, I don't really give a flip over any of these guys that remain. I still think we need offensive line help, but I also believe that our new offensive line coach will get those guys into shape.

Interesting about Bulger. I mean, if we cut loose Croyle, Bulger would be a suitable replacement.

jb

TopekaRoy
08-03-2011, 02:22 AM
Interesting about Bulger. I mean, if we cut loose Croyle, Bulger would be a suitable replacement.

jb

That's what the Bears thought about Todd Collins (maybe you've herd of him) and he was awful last year. Supposedly, he was familiar with Mike Martz's system and he would be a good mentor to the other Bears QBs, but it didn't work out that way. I don't think I would waste a roster spot on Bulger, but I'm not sure who I would sign instead.

Hayvern
08-03-2011, 02:34 AM
That's what the Bears thought about Todd Collins (maybe you've herd of him) and he was awful last year. Supposedly, he was familiar with Mike Martz's system and he would be a good mentor to the other Bears QBs, but it didn't work out that way. I don't think I would waste a roster spot on Bulger, but I'm not sure who I would sign instead.

Well I would say Bulger and Collins are two different quarterbacks, Collins was 39 when he went to the Bears, who really believes a 39 year old QB is any sort of answer. Add to that he was never really very good and was always a backup except for one year with Buffalo.

I will stand behind Bulger still as a good backup, he has more in game experience than all of our current QBs combined.

Jrudi
08-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Bulger just announced his retirement (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8213330c/article/veteran-qb-bulger-reportedly-passes-on-offers-decides-to-retire?module=HP11_headline_stack). So looks like that's not an option.

OPLookn
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Well so much for Franklin....

New Orleans Saints, Aubrayo Franklin agree to one-year deal, source says - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6828015/new-orleans-saints-aubrayo-franklin-agree-one-year-deal-source-says)

Hayvern
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Bulger just announced his retirement (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8213330c/article/veteran-qb-bulger-reportedly-passes-on-offers-decides-to-retire?module=HP11_headline_stack). So looks like that's not an option.

That is probably the best move for him.

TopekaRoy
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Well I would say Bulger and Collins are two different quarterbacks, Collins was 39 when he went to the Bears, who really believes a 39 year old QB is any sort of answer. Add to that he was never really very good and was always a backup except for one year with Buffalo.

I will stand behind Bulger still as a good backup, he has more in game experience than all of our current QBs combined.

I totally agree that Bulger is a way better QB than Collins. The only reason the Bears signed Collins was because they couldn't get Kurt Warner and he (Todd) was supposedly familiar with Martz's system. I think the Bears over valued him because he played for so many years behind some very good QBs (Grbac, Green) and they had no idea just how good he was (or wasn't).

I'm still not sold on Bulger as a backup in a predominantly run oriented offense, but I guess since he retired, it's all a mute point now.