PDA

View Full Version : What can we do to get Asante Samuels?

honda522
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
So since Namndi went to Philly, I have heard, and I don't know if this is a rumor but they might be willing to give up Asante for the right price. I think we have a decent run defense, but our passing D could use a bit more experience.

What do you guys think about him?

DMN
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
So since Namndi went to Philly, I have heard, and I don't know if this is a rumor but they might be willing to give up Asante for the right price. I think we have a decent run defense, but our passing D could use a bit more experience.

What do you guys think about him?

I am gonna answer without doing my research. But since he came from NE to the Eagles and got that huge contract I can't remember him being as stellar as I thought he would be.

My biggest concern would be taking carr out of his starting position after 3 years and how that might stint his growth. Him and Flowers have played great together.

I don't think this a Pioli move at all. Especially since drafting 2 corners over the past two seasons. If we were interested in CB in FA I think we would have heard us interested in Nate Clements... Just speculation.

Chiefs fanatic
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm happy with Carr and Flowers. Going after Asante isn't worth it.

Jrudi
08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Agreed!

I like the Carr and Flowers Tandem, I honestly think halfway through this season and into next (giving Lewis and Berry a little more time to grow) you could argue that the chiefs will have one of the top starting secondaries in the league.

Now our nickle package could possible use an upgrade, and McGraw could be replaced in my opinion, but our " base starting" group will be as good as any in the league I believe (Think its one of the strongest position groups on our team.)

We don't need Asante, and actually I have heard that he wants to stay in Philly (wherever he needs to fill in) because he is thinking they've got a shot to win a championship this season. Kinda wants a free ride to a ring.

I wouldn't be mad if we made a move for him because it would only improve our secondary, but I don't know if we should punch him into a starting role, and don't think we necessarily need him.

TopekaRoy
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Agreed!

I like the Carr and Flowers Tandem, I honestly think halfway through this season and into next (giving Lewis and Berry a little more time to grow) you could argue that the chiefs will have one of the top starting secondaries in the league.

Now our nickle package could possible use an upgrade, and McGraw could be replaced in my opinion, but our " base starting" group will be as good as any in the league I believe (Think its one of the strongest position groups on our team.)

We don't need Asante, and actually I have heard that he wants to stay in Philly (wherever he needs to fill in) because he is thinking they've got a shot to win a championship this season. Kinda wants a free ride to a ring.

I wouldn't be mad if we made a move for him because it would only improve our secondary, but I don't know if we should punch him into a starting role, and don't think we necessarily need him.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as these. Signing Samuels would make are defense a little better, no doubt, but I don't think the improvement would be big enough to justify the very high cost of getting him. I'd rather see that money go to areas where we have greater needs.

Coach
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Although Carr did improve over the last half of the 2010 season, I still think he is a liability. Anyone that gives up 12 catches to Jabar Gaffney is not in the same league as Asante Samuel.

That being said, I think there is zero chance that we give up early draft picks to get him. I am sure that Philly is going to want at least a 3rd rd'er for him and likely a 2nd.

honda522
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Although Carr did improve over the last half of the 2010 season, I still think he is a liability. Anyone that gives up 12 catches to Jabar Gaffney is not in the same league as Asante Samuel.

This is why I want Samuel. Carr is a good backup, but I don't think he is a good starter. Way to many missed/poor tackles..

Coach
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
There are a lot of Chiefs fans in love with Brandon Carr, I am not one them. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Sn@keIze
08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm happy with Carr and Flowers. Going after Asante isn't worth it.rite on! our 2ndary is fine.

Our LB core is awful. Johnson is our best LB and he is medocre at best IMO.

oh ya Tamba is considered LB but i consider him purely pass rush. we need some hardcore coverage/run stopping LBs

buffman316
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I think vwe are fine without Samuel but Carr does need to keep improving

chief31
08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
For the record, Asante Samuel, DB for the Philadelphia Eagles at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/asantesamuel/2505472/profile) was second in The NFL in INTs in 2010, with seven. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&conference=null&season=2010&seasonType=POST)

He was tied for the most INTs in The NFL in 2009, with nine. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Tied for 13th in 2008 with only four INTs. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Tied for fifth in 2007 with 6 INTs. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2007&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

And tied for the NFL lead with 10 INTs in 2006. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2006&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

There has not been a drop-off in his production since joining the Eagles for the past three seasons.

I don't know that I would spend the pick(s) needed to lure The Eagles into a deal.

But Asante Samuels is a top-notch talent at CB.

Jrudi
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM

That being said, I think there is zero chance that we give up early draft picks to get him. I am sure that Philly is going to want at least a 3rd rd'er for him and likely a 2nd.

In Carr's defense... Pretty sure that was the game that Lewis and McGraw were both out, and we had to move Donald Washington to FS (Which he had never played before) and Activated Ricky Price from the Practice Squad. I think the horrible pass coverage in that Denver game can be blamed more on the safety play.

Also, Carr gets the ball thrown to his side a lot more than Flowers does, and usually fairs decent.

I'm not saying Carr is an elite CB, I think Flowers is much better, but I think that he has continued to improve every season, and he does a decent job, for having a majority of opponents targets to his side of the field.

For the record, Asante Samuel, DB for the Philadelphia Eagles at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/asantesamuel/2505472/profile) was second in The NFL in INTs in 2010, with seven. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&conference=null&season=2010&seasonType=POST)

He was tied for the most INTs in The NFL in 2009, with nine. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Tied for 13th in 2008 with only four INTs. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

Tied for fifth in 2007 with 6 INTs. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2007&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

And tied for the NFL lead with 10 INTs in 2006. NFL Stats: by Player Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2006&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

There has not been a drop-off in his production since joining the Eagles for the past three seasons.

I don't know that I would spend the pick(s) needed to lure The Eagles into a deal.

But Asante Samuels is a top-notch talent at CB.

I would agree and say that he is an Elite DB, and I do believe he would greatly improve our secondary, but I would rather see us spend $ and pick to acquire help at other position groups. Like if we are bringin in help in the secondary I would rather see us bring in Safety Depth.

KristofLaw
08-08-2011, 12:41 AM
rite on! our 2ndary is fine.

Our LB core is awful. Johnson is our best LB and he is medocre at best IMO.

oh ya Tamba is considered LB but i consider him purely pass rush. we need some hardcore coverage/run stopping LBs

I like the idea of Asante Samuels as I've been a fan for some time.

What about Lofa Tatupa at LB'er ... I've been out of the loop somewhat for the past few days... is something missing, why did the Seahawks cut him? I'd sign him in a second if all's well with him. Even if not I'd take a chance... so long as it weren't a major personality issue....

jwmann2
08-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Asante and Eric Berry in the same secondary would be fierce. Scary, even.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
There is simply no comparison when it comes to the skill between Carr and Asante. Asante would improve our backfield by leaps and bounds. Carr is ok but should be a back up. Having said that, I think there is a zero possibility that the Chiefs get him. Arizona may be in line along with a few more NFC teams if he does in fact go anywhere. JMO.....

IslandKing77
08-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't see any drastic need to lure veteran free agents into our secondary. I'm not sure what games you've been watching to make you say that our pass defense needs work but our run defense is good. We get burned on the ground with regularity. Our secondary is going to do nothing but improve as they gain experience and cohesion. Don't forget that Lewis was a rookie last year (and a free agent I think). We had some injuries in the secondary wreaking havoc for a couple of games. I think this season the Chiefs are going to be a much harder team to pass on, I just hope the upgrades they're trying to make to the line and LBs can keep pace. I don't know if it will come together this year but definitely within a season or two the Chiefs are going to have an elite defense (again).

Ryfo18
08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
This is why I want Samuel. Carr is a good backup, but I don't think he is a good starter. Way to many missed/poor tackles..

Samuels is an elite cover corner, no doubt about it. But your argument makes no sense.

Carr - 39 tackles, (3 missed)
Samuels - 24 tackles (10 missed)

This data comes from ProFootballFocus.com (a subscription service) that grades every play.

How do Carr and Samuels grade out?

Overall, Carr grades as the 16th best CB in the league. Solid in both pass coverage and run-stopping.

Samuels grades as the 25th CB in the league, grading out better in pass coverage, but horribly in run-stopping.

Let's also not forget that Samuels is still under contract w/ the Eagles, so it would take a high draft pick to pry him away.

Jrudi
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Samuels is an elite cover corner, no doubt about it. But your argument makes no sense.

Carr - 39 tackles, (3 missed)
Samuels - 24 tackles (10 missed)

This data comes from ProFootballFocus.com (a subscription service) that grades every play.

How do Carr and Samuels grade out?

Overall, Carr grades as the 16th best CB in the league. Solid in both pass coverage and run-stopping.

Samuels grades as the 25th CB in the league, grading out better in pass coverage, but horribly in run-stopping.

Let's also not forget that Samuels is still under contract w/ the Eagles, so it would take a high draft pick to pry him away.

I love it! awesome use of stat's to back up the argument.

Yeah I'm not sure why people were thinking we could bring in Samuel?? I thought he was still under contract with Philly.

chief31
08-11-2011, 04:29 AM
I love it! awesome use of stat's to back up the argument.

Yeah I'm not sure why people were thinking we could bring in Samuel?? I thought he was still under contract with Philly.

I believe that many are speculating about his availability becasue The Eagles have acquired two starting CBs this offseason, in Rodgers-Cromartie, Dominique (http://www.nfl.com/player/dominiquerodgers-cromartie/306/profile) and Asomugha, Nnamdi (http://www.nfl.com/player/nnamdiasomugha/2505580/profile) .

Having three starter-caliber CBs on the same squad will cause some to speculate that that team may be looking to trade one away to help solidify some other area of the team that is not so solid.

And, seeing as both of those players are newly added guys, it would seem likely that they specifically want those two in the starting positions.

doobs_05
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Not a huge fan of Carr, i'm just waiting to see how our D does against this Schedule

Seek
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
We were beat at Nickel Back and lack of depth at CB. There is supposedly good talent for our NB but that is hoping Arenas or the kid we just drafted improves a bunch, but moving Asante or Carr to NB would never make me complain.