PDA

View Full Version : chiefs sign ron mcclain

marloweopatchiefs
08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Chiefs agree with FB McClain | Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1763)

marloweopatchiefs
08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
sorry Leron Mcclain

#58ChiefsFan
08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Nice pick up Pioli

Jrudi
08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Sweet! I have been waiting for this. I'm telling you I think this pickup is the biggest pickup of the off-season besides Breaston.

1 year trial, I hope he works out and we lock him up for multiple years after this season. It will be nice to have a staple at that position like we had with T-Rich for so many years.

This dude will help Charles run for a rushing title! Run btwn the tackles, and catch out of the backfield!

Love this pickup

gcsofa
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome Signing!!!!!!!!!!!

josh1971
08-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Very awesome. Consider it:

Jamaal Charles
Thomas Jones
LeRon McClain
Dexter McCluster
Jon Baldwin
Dwayne Bowe
Steve Breaston
Tony Moeaki

Go ahead... defend us. Double up on someone. Double dog dare ya...

Sn@keIze
08-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Very awesome. Consider it:

Jamaal Charles
Thomas Jones
LeRon McClain
Dexter McCluster
Jon Baldwin
Dwayne Bowe
Steve Breaston
Tony Moeaki

Go ahead... defend us. Double up on someone. Double dog dare ya...ya i would like Haley to maybe Defense us.

What the hells the point in scoring points if we just give points up? Didn't work in the Vermeil/Holmes/Green era.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but Haley is an offensive minded douche.

Yes we do need a FB. But there there is another side of the ball call D. and we just dont' have the tools to stop decent offenses

josh1971
08-04-2011, 04:42 AM
ya i would like Haley to maybe Defense us.

What the hells the point in scoring points if we just give points up? Didn't work in the Vermeil/Holmes/Green era.

Yes we do need a FB. But there there is another side of the ball call D. and we just dont' have the tools to stop decent offenses

So then our linebackers being Hali, Houston, Siler, and DJ, along with our secondary, which is not only young, but GOOD, and the addition of a veteran NT doesn't blow your skirt up, eh? I think we need depth on the defense, but our starters are going to do just fine, I think.

I didn't even talk about some of the rotation guys like Gilberry and Studebaker, both of whom have been little gems for us.

Coach
08-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Honestly the moves made my the chiefs all make sense to me. Did we lose that playoff game against Baltimore because of our defense last year? Not in my opinion. Sure their defense is great, blah blah blah. But the fact that we only had 1 WR last year made this team much easier to defend.

Which team got better this offseason, Baltimore or KC? No brainer IMO.

Remember this team is still rebuilding. We are just now getting to the point where everyone we draft doesn't have to be a starter. Be patient my friend. In Pioli I trust.

Canada
08-04-2011, 09:20 AM

QUIT YER B!TCHIN'!! we clearly needed help on the offensive side of the ball. don't let your Haley hate blind you to some great offseason pickups. Romeo will have our defense ready to kiKC some as$ come September!!

chiefnut
08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
this is a super duper move. we have always had a great multifunctional FB during or best years ie T.Rich and kimble Anders. McClain will be the next T.Rich for us adding blocking for JC, a power back for the one yard plunge on 3rd and 4th downs, another short yardage receiver and bonus****pass blocker for blitzes. its a win win although i forsee Thomas jones being traded or released now.

as for snakeize i agree we still need a NT but Pioli may not be done yet as he might still add some help for the "D"

Jrudi
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM

It's not like FB is a glamor pickup...If you look at it these other posts are right... We lost the Baltimore game because our offense stalled in the 2nd half due to crappy WR play. Our main needs on Offense were #1WR, #O-line, #3 FB. we filled all three areas both in the draft and FA. at least 1 proposed starter at every position group I named (WR- Breaston and Baldwin. O-line- Hudson (could use a little more help at RT), FB- Bannon in draft, and McClain in FA.

Defense we needed D-line help, LB help, and Safety Depth. D-line- Kelly Gregg will be a starter, Jerrell Powe will become a starter in a year or two, and Allen Bailey will rotate at DE. LB's- Juston Houston will project as a starter, and Brandon Siler is an upgrade from Corey Mays,. The only thing I am worried about is Safety depth, we attempted to ad some secondary help in the draft with the DB from Colorado, and I believe we added a couple Un-drafted FA's, be we could use a little more help.

All in all, if you truly look at our deficiencies from last season. we have made attempts on either side of the ball at those positions to upgrade our talent there. Evenly on both sides, not just offense or defense. Possibly 2 projected starters on Offense, and 2 projected Starters on Defense.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

WTF??????? This is just a post to get everyone riled up right? One thing is for sure, most of these offensive signings will help the passing game in one way or another and the last time I checked we were 30th in passing. As for the defense goes, we were average (11th-17th) in most categories last year. These categories would include points allowed, passing yds allowed, rushing yds allowed and total yds allowed. It's not like we were ranked last in these categories for god sakes. With the high scoring offense that EVERYBODY believes we will have, I'll give the 20 points a game and take our chances.

Jrudi
08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
WTF??????? This is just a post to get everyone riled up right? One thing is for sure, most of these offensive signings will help the passing game in one way or another and the last time I checked we were 30th in passing. As for the defense goes, we were average (11th-17th) in most categories last year. These categories would include points allowed, passing yds allowed, rushing yds allowed and total yds allowed. It's not like we were ranked last in these categories for god sakes. With the high scoring offense that EVERYBODY believes we will have, I'll give the 20 points a game and take our chances.

Second that...

Plus they say that the best Defense is a good offense, and I believe that.

Our Defensive stats would have been greatly affected if our offense could have sustained more drives last year. If our offense stays on the field, it gives our D time to rest and takes offensive opportunity away from our opponent (EX: Baltimore game... The D didn't see the sideline for more than 2 mins before having to run back out on the field.) The offense can't score if they aren't on the field

Our 3rd down Offense sucked, The WR's will help that. It will also help our gains on 1st and 2nd, because it will require the D not to stack the box on Charles, and allow him to potentially gain bigger chunks of yardage on downs 1 and 2 leaving us with a number of options to look at a "3rd and 2,3,or4" as opposed to last year our 3rd downs were more like "3rd and 8,7,6"

SAPHOJUNKIE
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Glenn Dorsey - #5 overall draft pick.
Tyson Jackson - #3 overall draft pick
Eric Berry - #5 overall draft pick
Derrick Johnson - #15 overall draft pick - signed extension
Tamba Hali - #20 overall draft pick - signed extension.
Brandon Flowers - second round pick
Javier Arenas - second round pick
Justin Houston - projected first round talent in the third

That's 5 starters drafted in the first round, and two more who were projected first rounders.

Every player listed above is projected to start (except Arenas) and has played less than six years in the NFL, and ONLY for this team. That's a hell of a defense being built. You need to settle the eff down.

In addition, we return:

Wallace Gilberry, third year player who has increased his sack total the last two years.

Kendrick Lewis, who had three interceptions last year as a rookie.

Also, we brought in a starting MLB and kelly gregg - ten year vet at nose tackle, our two biggest weaknesses on defense.

Romeo Crennel - multiple super bowl winning defensive coordinator in only his SECOND season with the Chiefs.

This team has done PLENTY in the past few years to get better on defense, and it showed last year.

You don't turn on the air conditioner and then go buy one five minutes later because the house isn't cool yet.

Let's put it this way - since 2005, the Chiefs have drafted defense in the first round five out of eight times, and all five of those players are starters.

(btw - the other three choices were Albert, Bowe, and Baldwin. All starters* Bill Muir said breaston would be the #3)

They are paying attention to the defense.

OTR Chiefs fan
08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I love the McClain pick up. That will certainly help the running game and pass protection. He's a versatile back that can do a lot of things.

Plus, we actually got some love from ESPN's Freddie Coleman on the signing and said that he like the moves that the Chiefs had made so far. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year and be a very solid team. :yahoo::chiefs:

tornadospotter
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
http://youtu.be/iuDjkzM9F1E

TopekaRoy
08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
http://youtu.be/iuDjkzM9F1E

Yeah. I think we can find a spot for him on our offense!

chiefsrule
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

I agree. I actually think our defense might be in better shape than our offense at this point.

josh1971
08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree. I actually think our defense might be in better shape than our offense at this point.

I like the stack up of our defense, but I think the only place on offense where there's uncertainty is the line. And THAT is only because we have some youthful guys that we just haven't seen much there. I mean, come on:

Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones, LeRon McClain, Dexter McCluster

Matt Cassell

Dwayne Bowe, Steve Breaston, Tony Moeaki, Jon Baldwin

We have so many weapons, our offense is like a battleship! We just have to hope the hull is also strong. :meow:

JB

chief31
08-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I like the stack up of our defense, but I think the only place on offense where there's uncertainty is the line. And THAT is only because we have some youthful guys that we just haven't seen much there. I mean, come on:

Matt Cassell

We have so many weapons, our offense is like a battleship! We just have to hope the hull is also strong. :meow:

JB

100% agreed.

chiefsrule
08-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Matt Cassell

JB

I don't think much of McCluster. McCluster and Tyson Jackson were bad picks. Jackson made some pretty good money doing nothing for two years if he doesn't do anything this year I say cut him. I also worry about if Cassel gets hurt. I think we are in trouble.

Canada
08-07-2011, 04:56 AM
I don't think much of McCluster. McCluster and Tyson Jackson were bad picks. Jackson made some pretty good money doing nothing for two years if he doesn't do anything this year I say cut him. I also worry about if Cassel gets hurt. I think we are in trouble.A lot of people said the same thing about Dorsey when he got here.

As far as starting QB getting hurt being trouble...I think you could say that about most teams in the NFL.

chief31
08-07-2011, 07:37 AM
A lot of people said the same thing about Dorsey when he got here.

As far as starting QB getting hurt being trouble...I think you could say that about most teams in the NFL.
Definitely.

But what worries me is how dependant we are upon Jamaal Charles.

While I think he is an amazing player, I hope we can keep him goin and still manage to break our dependancy on him.

chiefsrule
08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
A lot of people said the same thing about Dorsey when he got here.

Most teams have an experienced backup QB. There is a BIG dropoff on our team after Cassel.

chiefsrule
08-07-2011, 09:16 AM
[quote=Canada;232269]A lot of people said the same thing about Dorsey when he got here.

I guess it just shows we like to give good money to players to take it easy for a couple of years and hope they turn into something, doesn't it? Hence draft picks vs free agents that have shown they can play in the NFL. LOL

Canada
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
[quote=Canada;232269]A lot of people said the same thing about Dorsey when he got here.

I guess it just shows we like to give good money to players to take it easy for a couple of years and hope they turn into something, doesn't it? Hence draft picks vs free agents that have shown they can play in the NFL. LOL

I dont know that Dorsey was taking it easy so much as he was learning to play D line in the NFL.
Believe it or not, some of the people who draft players for the NFL are very good as stuff like talent evaluation and player development. That is why teams like the Patriots and Steelers win multiple SuperBowls.

Canada
08-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Most teams have an experienced backup QB. There is a BIG dropoff on our team after Cassel.Oh. so the the Colts would be fine without Manning, how about the Pats without Brady, Eagles without Vick? I could go on if you like.

KristofLaw
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
What a great pick-up! This is the best news I heard all day!

Jrudi
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't think much of McCluster. McCluster and Tyson Jackson were bad picks. Jackson made some pretty good money doing nothing for two years if he doesn't do anything this year I say cut him. I also worry about if Cassel gets hurt. I think we are in trouble.

I Think a lot of our fans are to quick to judge our 1st round picks. Let's Give Jackson another year or so before we just "cut" him, same with McCluster, and Berry for that Matter.

Let's look at this:

DJ- His first 5 seasons were considered "dissapointments", multiple years with upset fans and last year he became a complete LB, with his best season to date (121 tckls, 1 sck, 4FF, 1int.)

Hali- Being overshadowed by Jared Allen early in his career, he was yet another Chiefs 1st round pick that was highly scrutinized for his first 4 years. Each season people were upset with his mediocre pass rushing abilities. Year 5.... A monster, leading the AFC in Sacks.

Bowe- Had a promising rookie season followed by two seasons filled with drops and character concerns that had fans calling for his head. Last year,Career best in receiving yards and lead the NFL in touchdown receptions.

Dorsey & Albert- Another set of 1st rounders who have rarely had much said about them except that they didn't live up to expectations. Last year Both had the best seasons of their young Careers. I think Dorsey showed many flashes last year, and is set to break out this season (Now that Houston is lining up behind him we now are able to provide pressure from both sides)

Berry- By far has had the most promising rookie season of any of our recent draft picks, but is still catching heat because "safeties aren't supposed to be taken in the top 5 of the draft" boo freakin hoo.

My point is that we need to allow time for these young players to develop. Tyson Jackson showed flashes last year (although he was hurt a portion of the season, we can't get upset about something he coudln't help) This will be his 3rd season, I saw some pic's and video of him in camp, and he looks like he has slimmed up and is now more solid rather than chunky, it sounds like he has been training extensively during the lockout, and sounds like he is ready to step it up.

It takes time, Look at Charles, he didn't break out until midway through his 3rd season (he actually wasn't even on the gameday roster a couple times in Haley's first season) the only reason people didn't get pissed at him was because he was a 3rd round pick. I think if we can be patient with some of these players we will find that in about a year or two, we will be set to compete for a championship, and as a matter of fact, we are much better positioned now than we were two years ago, so we should be thankful for that