PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't know about all you other Chiefs fans, but I am getting all kinds of excited about this years team! It reminds me of last years team only more so!

A TON of young talent all of whom seem to be truly excited about playing for a Chiefs team that is on the way up!

Sure....Last year's schedule was easy, but the reason we WON THE AFC WEST is because everybody played up to and mostly BEYOND expectations. Nobody predicted last years team to do much better than 8-8 and certainly none of the "prognosticators" predicted we would win the AFC west. But we did!

I feel really good about the draft crop we have and even better about some of the new guys from last year (McCluster and Moeaki etc) that didn't get to play as much of a role last year.

Call me stupid, optomistic or suffering from a a severe case of red colored glasses, and yes I do realize that with our tough schedule this year we could have a tough year and sink to 7-9 or 8-8, but I think that if we can win week 1 and 2 against the Bills and Detroit then we could go into week 3 at the Bolts with enough confidence to go 3-0.

Success breeds success! Confidence breeds success! I think the first 3 games of the season will tell us whether we are going to go 7-9 or 8-8 or 10-6 or even 11-5.

The short offseason due to the lockout sucks but I think that with the team we have all we need is a break or two in the first 3 weeks and we will be well on our way to making another run for an AFC West Championship!

:chiefs:

What do y'all think?

azchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
(Connecticut?) Ctchiefsfan, your lips to God's ear. :D But yeah, I feel great this season and will be very disappointed with less than 10 wins. I said this last year in August and it proved true: our guys looked like they believed they could win-for the first time in a long time. This year, they are walking(and interviewing) with a swagger. Pioli and Haley brought a sense of confidence. Dare I say that it looks and feels like the 1980 SF 49ers. New coach, new system and a young, hungry team, loaded with talent. This is going to be a good year!:bananen_smilies046:

Yoda
08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Ahhhh, feel good threads! Don't you just love them! I read them on the Raiders board, the Chargers board, the Chiefs board....heck even the Broncos board. I laugh because people state these feel good homer feelings as if the mojo will promote gold fortunes to their beloved teams. Bottom line, the Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs are all capable of winning the west. I give an edge to the Chargers. But, that's why they play the games.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes....Connecticut.....

I can't say I will be horribly disappointed if we do worse than 10-6. Certainly disappointed, but we overperformed in a big way last year and with this year's schedule I think we'll have to overperform again to do better than 8-8.

That said, I think we have a team that is capable of dramatically overperforming.

Our players from last year are confident they can win.

Our new players are excited about playing for a team on its way up and want to prove they belong on a team that is going to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.

If we can go 3-0 or 2-1 in the fist three weeks then I think it is "Katie bar the door" 'cause there won't be a team out there that won't fear their game against the Chiefs.

However the chips may fall, I'm more excited than I have been in any preseason in a long long while. Even in the '03 pre-season I was nowhere near as excited as I am now.

I honestly think that the difference between winning the AFC West again or going 8-8 is going to come down to 1 or 2 breaks in the first 3 games.

I cussed out Haley more than once last year for some of his 4th down calls and like any fan if he does it again and things don't work out I'll be all kinds of PO'd....but right now, I'd be happy to see him take some gambles on 4th down in the first 3 games of the season.

I really think the first 3 games of the season will determine if we can overperform like we did last year.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Bottom line, the Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs are all capable of winning the west.

No doubt.

I give an edge to the Chargers

I do believe that was the popular wisdom last year too. Do they deserve "the edge"? Probably. Do I think they have anything more than a razor-thin edge?

NFW!

If the chiefs can go into San Diego at 2-0 in week 3 then I think the Dolts "edge" could evaporate right there and then.

But as you say....only the games will tell.....

Yoda
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I would say the 1st 3 games are critical for any team but especially for the teams in the west. Start 0-3 and kiss the season good-bye.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I would say the 1st 3 games are critical for any team but especially for the teams in the west. Start 0-3 and kiss the season good-bye.

The Chiefs certainly will not go 0-3. I think 1-2 is unlikely but would be as bad an omen as 0-3. 2-1 would be a "wash" with "more news at 11".....If they can go 3-0 then the Dolts "edge" is gone and the AFC West is ours to hold.

azchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Ahhhh, feel good threads! Don't you just love them! I read them on the Raiders board, the Chargers board, the Chiefs board....heck even the Broncos board. I laugh because people state these feel good homer feelings as if the mojo will promote gold fortunes to their beloved teams. Bottom line, the Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs are all capable of winning the west. I give an edge to the Chargers. But, that's why they play the games.

The fly in your West Coast snuggle-fest is that Oakland is a directionless team that is a hodge-podge of semi-talented players and after firing the coach, no longer in the running. San Diego is a good team at the starting roster but absolutely no depth. Having said that, SD is the only serious competition. Last year showed that any defense that can get a helmet on Rivers will turn him into a whiney priss who screams at his own players and loses all composure. After so many hissy fits last year, Rivers has a giant bullseye on his back and will probably not finish the season.

azchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Also, Denver is a mess-they are not a viable team and won't be for a long time.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Correct on all fronts!!!! And thanks to "cry me a river" I like our chances. I'm counting on his feeling more than a few helmets in the first quarter of week 3.

Yoda
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
SD is the only real competition? Hmmm, let's see...this dysfunctional group went 6-0 in the division and gave your beloved team a good old fashion A$$ whoopen right before your disastorous playoff lost. They whooped SD in SD. The Raiders have a good a chance as any in the west.

azchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Top defense and offense pieces and the coach and most staff gone and they couldn't win outside the division. Keep smokin that stuff, you won't notice everyone else laughing at you.

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
The damned Raiders always have a chance....whenever their lunatic owner lets them have one. This year I think their chances are worse than usual. But I have to admit you can never count the Raiders out until they are actually out. I just wouldn't give them very good odds this year. Davis has had another meltdown.

Yoda
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Man, I can't wait for the games to start. I am not a homer, I have followed the Raiders since I was a kid in the late 70's. I know well enough to give other teams props and realize when my team sucks, is so so, or on the verge of something special. The way I look at it is that SD window is quickly closing, the Broncos are a mess and no where near a contender. The Raiders and Chiefs are the rise which will make for some nail biting games. That being said, I love the bad blood between these two teams and this rivalry is about to get kicked into high gear!

ctchiefsfan
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
No arguments here! Every true Chiefs fan hates the Raiders with an undying passion and I am sure the reverse applies.

When Al Davis finally takes his last hit off the pipe I expect the Raiders will start living up to their potential. Al Davis is a Chiefs fan's best friend.

Jrudi
08-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Looking forward to this season as well...

There is a winning attitude around arrowhead. Throughout the entire organization. Pioli holds anyone that the chiefs are associated with to extremely high standards, as well as all employees, coaches, and players.

I kind of get a "Patriot" type vibe from "The New Arrowhead". The organization no longer accepts mediocrity. (which is good because I hope we are this decades version of the Patriots of the 2000's)

Someone posted earlier that Success and Confidence Breeds Success. This is O so true. We now go into every catchup knowing we have a shot to beat the team across from us. 3 years ago, it didn't matter if we had a shot to win games, we would find a way to loose them (ex: SD game at arrowhead, ahead by like 12 with like 2 mins left, SD scores, and we fumble the Onside kick, they recover and score again we loose by like 2.) I think San Fran fell into that mode last year, they could have been good, but fell into that "here we go again attitude" and it just ruined the season.

I like the winning attitude that surrounds arrowhead, and I at least know that if we do loose, it will no longer be without putting up a fight. and it will not effect the following weeks game.

ctchiefsfan
08-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to this season as well...

There is a winning attitude around arrowhead. Throughout the entire organization. Pioli holds anyone that the chiefs are associated with to extremely high standards, as well as all employees, coaches, and players.

I kind of get a "Patriot" type vibe from "The New Arrowhead". The organization no longer accepts mediocrity. (which is good because I hope we are this decades version of the Patriots of the 2000's)

Someone posted earlier that Success and Confidence Breeds Success. This is O so true. We now go into every catchup knowing we have a shot to beat the team across from us. 3 years ago, it didn't matter if we had a shot to win games, we would find a way to loose them (ex: SD game at arrowhead, ahead by like 12 with like 2 mins left, SD scores, and we fumble the Onside kick, they recover and score again we loose by like 2.) I think San Fran fell into that mode last year, they could have been good, but fell into that "here we go again attitude" and it just ruined the season.

I like the winning attitude that surrounds arrowhead, and I at least know that if we do loose, it will no longer be without putting up a fight. and it will not effect the following weeks game.

Pretty much my feelings. If you believe you can win then you CAN win!

Reference Tug McGraw and the '73 Mets (I think it was '73).

We've got a very tough schedule. No doubt about it. But if we can get through week 3 at either 3-0 or 2-1 then I think we will be in the hunt right up to December.

AkChief49
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Pretty much my feelings. If you believe you can win then you CAN win!

Reference Tug McGraw and the '73 Mets (I think it was '73).

We've got a very tough schedule. No doubt about it. But if we can get through week 3 at either 3-0 or 2-1 then I think we will be in the hunt right up to December.

"Ya gotta believe!":bananen_smilies046:

ctchiefsfan
08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
You remember!!!! :D :bananen_smilies046:

It's going to take a lot to get us back to the playoffs with the young team we have and the tough schedule, but if we can start off HOT then nothing is out of reach.

IslandKing77
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I am excited at the beginning of every football season. Some seasons more than others. Watching Herm dismantle and dismember the team and the after shocks of that have permanently jaded me to an extent. Watching year after year as this team has squandered opportunity and talent have left me with what I can only describe as a permanent sense of dread on Sundays. Sometimes I acknowledge it, sometimes I don't, but I am always pulling for the Chiefs.

This upcoming schedule is quite frankly terrifying. Those who say there are no easy or hard schedules in the NFL should compare the Chiefs schedule this season and their schedule last season. That being said, I KNOW that the Chiefs are a better football team and that is really all I care about. When I watch the games (which I have to do through DirecTV and that ain't cheap) the only thing I really care about is that the Chiefs are competitive in each game and that they fight. After a few years of watching teams walk all over my hometown team last year I finally got to see the Chiefs for the most part, stick with each opponent. The effort put forth against the Raiders at the end of the regular season and during the game Croyle started in left much to be desired but that's not the point.

Over all this year I don't care if the Chiefs don't win 10 or more games, I don't care if they miss the playoffs. I will be extremely happy if they do but if they don't I don't care. I don't expect a rebuilding franchise to accomplish that. What I do expect is to see a better football team every week. What I do expect is to see them be competitive against anyone.

ctchiefsfan
08-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I am excited at the beginning of every football season. Some seasons more than others. Watching Herm dismantle and dismember the team and the after shocks of that have permanently jaded me to an extent. Watching year after year as this team has squandered opportunity and talent have left me with what I can only describe as a permanent sense of dread on Sundays. Sometimes I acknowledge it, sometimes I don't, but I am always pulling for the Chiefs.

This upcoming schedule is quite frankly terrifying. Those who say there are no easy or hard schedules in the NFL should compare the Chiefs schedule this season and their schedule last season. That being said, I KNOW that the Chiefs are a better football team and that is really all I care about. When I watch the games (which I have to do through DirecTV and that ain't cheap) the only thing I really care about is that the Chiefs are competitive in each game and that they fight. After a few years of watching teams walk all over my hometown team last year I finally got to see the Chiefs for the most part, stick with each opponent. The effort put forth against the Raiders at the end of the regular season and during the game Croyle started in left much to be desired but that's not the point.

Over all this year I don't care if the Chiefs don't win 10 or more games, I don't care if they miss the playoffs. I will be extremely happy if they do but if they don't I don't care. I don't expect a rebuilding franchise to accomplish that. What I do expect is to see a better football team every week. What I do expect is to see them be competitive against anyone.

You won't be disappointed! This team can play with the best of the best. Young team. Lots of inexperienced players. So there will be mistakes.

And Haley knows that for us this year the difference between contending and flopping will be razor thin. Just 1 or 2 breaks here and there in key games.

As a result he is going to take some more crazy gambles like he did last year. And the first time he goes for it on 4th and short when we could have had an easy 3 points my blood will boil and I'm going to want to rip off his head and ship down his neck.

But I think we have one of the finest management/coach teams in the NFL

Its FUN to enjoy football again!!!!!

TopekaRoy
08-10-2011, 02:30 PM
You can never tell just how difficult a schedule is going to turn out to be. Last year the Bears had what appeared to be a horrific schedule and most people were picking them to go 6-10. They faced the NFC East and beat Dallas and Philadelphia Losing to the Giants and Redskins only because Cutler was out with a concussion. They also played the AFC East and beat Buffalo, Miami and the Jets, losing only to the Patriots. The timing of injuries factored into their going 11-5 as well as some lucky breaks but the schedule didn't end up being nearly as tough as it appeared to be in preseason.

This year the Chiefs are in the same boat and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go 10-6 or 11-5. Yes, the Packers won the Super Bowl last year but SB winners almost always have a big letdown the following year and we play them at Arrowhead. The Jets lost a lot of key players in Free agency and I don't think they will be as good as they were last year. I could go on with other teams on our schedule but you get the point. It may turn out to be easier then it looks.

... And the Chiefs may be much better this year than people think. They only played 3 teams with a winning record last year, so the sample size was too small to really indicate how well they would have done with a harder schedule and they should be a better team this year.

We will see how it all plays out, but I am excited and optimistic. I can't wait for the season to start! (But I guess I'll have to, LOL.)

Jrudi
08-10-2011, 05:06 PM

You might do some research. I'm fairly sure I saw an ad on TV that said Direct TV was running a new special. Now when you sign up for Direct TV, NFL Sunday ticket is included free of charge.

if you aren't under contract with them you might cancel and re-order. Might save you some cash...

You can never tell just how difficult a schedule is going to turn out to be. Last year the Bears had what appeared to be a horrific schedule and most people were picking them to go 6-10. They faced the NFC East and beat Dallas and Philadelphia Losing to the Giants and Redskins only because Cutler was out with a concussion. They also played the AFC East and beat Buffalo, Miami and the Jets, losing only to the Patriots. The timing of injuries factored into their going 11-5 as well as some lucky breaks but the schedule didn't end up being nearly as tough as it appeared to be in preseason.

This year the Chiefs are in the same boat and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go 10-6 or 11-5. Yes, the Packers won the Super Bowl last year but SB winners almost always have a big letdown the following year and we play them at Arrowhead. The Jets lost a lot of key players in Free agency and I don't think they will be as good as they were last year. I could go on with other teams on our schedule but you get the point. It may turn out to be easier then it looks.

... And the Chiefs may be much better this year than people think. They only played 3 teams with a winning record last year, so the sample size was too small to really indicate how well they would have done with a harder schedule and they should be a better team this year.

We will see how it all plays out, but I am excited and optimistic. I can't wait for the season to start! (But I guess I'll have to, LOL.)

They lost to the Giants because the Giants gave cutler the concussion (Sacked 5 times in the 1st half!!) and I thought Cutler played against the redskins because I remember something about him gift wrapping like 3 INT's to DeAngelo Hall.....

sorry, just thought I remember that, anyone remember for sure?

IslandKing77
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
You might do some research. I'm fairly sure I saw an ad on TV that said Direct TV was running a new special. Now when you sign up for Direct TV, NFL Sunday ticket is included free of charge.

if you aren't under contract with them you might cancel and re-order. Might save you some cash...

I've been told that and am currently thinking about it. Right now my wallet it at war with my desire to not be ghetto.

tornadospotter
08-10-2011, 09:34 PM
No arguments here! Every true Chiefs fan hates the Raiders with an undying passion and I am sure the reverse applies.

When Al Davis finally takes his last hit off the pipe I expect the Raiders will start living up to their potential. Al Davis is a Chiefs fan's best friend.
The Home of the Raiders Owner, Al Davis.

http://youtu.be/ae5XwkSguNI

TopekaRoy
08-11-2011, 12:21 AM
They lost to the Giants because the Giants gave cutler the concussion (Sacked 5 times in the 1st half!!) and I thought Cutler played against the redskins because I remember something about him gift wrapping like 3 INT's to DeAngelo Hall.....

sorry, just thought I remember that, anyone remember for sure?
You are correct. The Bears were only down 3-o at halftime when Cutler left the game with a concussion. I believe if he had continued to play (uninjured, of course) the Bears had a good chance of winning that game. And you are right that the Redskins game was Cutler's first week back. I just glossed over the schedule and was thinking he missed the next 3 games after the Giants game but it was only 2. (I guess my brain didn't want to remember that game!) Judging from his play, I would say the Bears brought him back a week too early and he was still suffering from some of the after effects of a concussion. As badly as Collins was playing, they had little choice I guess, but the Bears still only lost by a FG. Washington was a team they should have beat. But "on any given Sunday..."

That actually reinforces my point that the Chiefs could win a lot of games in spite of the apparently difficult schedule. I expect them to be the underdog more often than not, and I think they will surprise people in many of those games.

chief31
08-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Call me stupid, optomistic or suffering from a a severe case of red colored glasses, and yes I do realize that with our tough schedule this year we could have a tough year and sink to 7-9 or 8-8, but I think that if we can win week 1 and 2 against the Bills and Detroit then we could go into week 3 at the Bolts with enough confidence to go 3-0.

Success breeds success! Confidence breeds success! I think the first 3 games of the season will tell us whether we are going to go 7-9 or 8-8 or 10-6 or even 11-5.

I think you nailed it right there.

Success breeds success. But then, failure fuels failure.

Start out strong, and I will feel a whole lot better.

But pick up where our last couple of games left off... And I have to worry.