PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign Jared Gaither

DMN
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Check it...

Former Ravens OT Jared Gaither Signed By Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/11/2357340/jared-gaither-kansas-city-chiefs)

If we can get him to play to his potential this is a GREAT signing. So interested in how this shakes out across the line.

DMN
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh and chiefsdrule... If you have negative thoughts..(which I think you have to cause his name is Jared and not Aubrayo) Can you do us all a solid and just post a frowny face and I promise we will get the point.

Thenks...

OPLookn
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Here's my frowny face. :( Kidding! The only problem I have with this signing is that it throws a lot of wrenches to the monkeys. It's a good problem to have but is he healthy? Is or can his attitude problem be corrected? Is he going to play left or right?

If we're going to throw up a dream scenario how's this one... Mims turns into a quality right tackle and Gaither stays healthy for years. With Asamoah starting now, Hudson gaining experience and Lilja back in his home town...oh heck yeah!

josh1971
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
So is Gaither's natural position RT or LT? I don't know that much about him. It was a name I'd heard thrown about as someone we *should* sign, so it's exciting, but just trying to get some idea of where he's going to end up.

Jrudi
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I Like the signing. I hope he can stay healthy. He is HUGE (6-9 340lbs), and only 25 years old.

So he is in the middle of what could be his prime years as a player. I hope he can man a Tackle position, he has talent if he can stay healthy.

OPLookn
08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
So is Gaither's natural position RT or LT? I don't know that much about him. It was a name I'd heard thrown about as someone we *should* sign, so it's exciting, but just trying to get some idea of where he's going to end up.

Not exactly the be all, end all but wikipedia has him as a LT. I'd believe it as they've already got him playing for the Chiefs...45 minutes after they announced the signing.

josh1971
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I wonder if we'll supplant ALbert, or move Gaither to RT.

Seek
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Holy Flipping COW Dung. I love this signing. There is a lot of Risk, but also big reward.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

When he was Healthy he was an upgrade over Albert at LT. Move him or Albert to LT and this offensive line just got tons better.

IslandKing77
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
My interpretation is that he's a project player. I read on rotoworld.com that he couldn't pass a physical after agreeing to terms with the Raiders. That would seem to indicate to me that he's definitely out of shape.

They are probably willing to take a chance on the guy and see if they can light a fire under his *** because he is ginormous. (wow, really spellchecker, that's a word now?) Anyhow, he serves as an immediate message to Albert and Richardson that Haley and CO. are serious about "competition at all positions". It'll be a stretch to turn this guy around but maybe they can do it. I doubt we will see him on the field anytime soon but best case scenario if they can reform him then they can either flip Albert to the RT position or even just insert this guy at RT.

DMN
08-11-2011, 12:59 PM
The risk is low in my opinion... I am guessing a one year deal. So this is the perfect incentive for him to resurrect his NFL career. He steps up this year and we pay him... if not hes gone. Lets just say I wouldn't want to be in the way of 6'9" and 340lbs of a guy looking for redemption... haha. Great work by "Don" Pioli.

Seek
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
The risk is low in my opinion... I am guessing a one year deal. So this is the perfect incentive for him to resurrect his NFL career. He steps up this year and we pay him... if not hes gone. Lets just say I wouldn't want to be in the way of 6'9" and 340lbs of a guy looking for redemption... haha. Great work by "Don" Pioli.

High risk dependin go the contract. However, I heard other than his poor work ethic, off field problems, he was also some what of a problem in the locker room.

That being said, we just signed three Ravens. I am sure Gregg and McClain has their input on the matter.

So I guess it is a lower risk High reward.

Not sure if you guys ever watched Willie Roaf, but I am not sure how he ever passed a physical either.

Yoda
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
This is a solid signing. I was hoping the Raiders would have signed him. Of course this guy comes with some red flags, why would the Ravens let him go so easily, they have one if the best personel deptartments in the NFL. He did not garner much attention from the other 30 teams.His back may be a real problem. But, if this guy pans out, he could be a beast on the OL. Bottom line, it's worth the risk because LT are VERY hard to find. Either way, this is Gaither's last stop, he either does it with the Chiefs or it's over. That may motivate him.

otf
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
This is a solid signing. I was hoping the Raiders would have signed him. Of course this guy comes with some red flags, why would the Ravens let him go so easily, they have one if the best personel deptartments in the NFL. His back may be a real problem. But, if this guy pans out, he could be a beast on the OL. Bottom line, it's worth the risk because LT are VERY hard to find.
Agreed

DMN
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
This is a solid signing. I was hoping the Raiders would have signed him. Of course this guy comes with some red flags, why would the Ravens let him go so easily, they have one if the best personel deptartments in the NFL. His back may be a real problem. But, if this guy pans out, he could be a beast on the OL. Bottom line, it's worth the risk because LT are VERY hard to find.

I heard the faiders were trying to sign him. People think they backed out of the deal but lets not forget they are just a smidge above the cap at around $13mil. I hope you are right and that he pans out.

How do you think you guys will get the cap situation cleared up?

Yoda
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I heard the faiders were trying to sign him. People think they backed out of the deal but lets not forget they are just a smidge above the cap at around $13mil. I hope you are right and that he pans out.

How do you think you guys will get the cap situation cleared up?

Getting rid of DHB. Chef's better hope Gaither's back is up to the task. The Raiders' DL dominated the Chef's line even when Waters was in there.

DMN
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Getting rid of DHB. Chef's better hope Gaither's back is up to the task. The Raiders' DL dominated the Chef's line even when Waters was in there.

I will not argue there... but really only in the black hole was it that bad. And to be honest with week 11-15 for us the raiders are the least of our problems.

figcrostic
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
This is a solid signing. I was hoping the Raiders would have signed him. Of course this guy comes with some red flags, why would the Ravens let him go so easily, they have one if the best personel deptartments in the NFL. He did not garner much attention from the other 30 teams.His back may be a real problem. But, if this guy pans out, he could be a beast on the OL. Bottom line, it's worth the risk because LT are VERY hard to find. Either way, this is Gaither's last stop, he either does it with the Chiefs or it's over. That may motivate him.

I don't understand why a fan of the Raiders would post in a Chiefs fan page. Go post in a Raiders fan page!

azchiefsfan
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I forgot one. Thanks for reminding me fig.:troll31:

chiefsrule
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh and chiefsdrule... If you have negative thoughts..(which I think you have to cause his name is Jared and not Aubrayo) Can you do us all a solid and just post a frowny face and I promise we will get the point.

Thenks...

Whatever that means. I think it is a good gamble.

N TX Dave
08-12-2011, 12:28 AM
If I remember right Willie Roaf had back problems when he came to us and that worked out ok I think so this is a good signing as long as we did not pay too much.

ctchiefsfan
08-12-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't understand why a fan of the Raiders would post in a Chiefs fan page. Go post in a Raiders fan page!

He is always civil and respectful of where is. So I am OK to have him here.

Old saying......"Hold your friends close. Hold your enemies CLOSER".

He comes here to "spy on the enemy". By his presence we learn as much if not more than he does.

And lets be honest.....the only team in the AFC West that has anywhere near the tradition of the Chiefs is the GD Raiders!

As good as last year was, we lost to the GD Raiders twice. NO CHIEFS SEASON is complete without beating the damned Raiders at least once.

Younger fans may not understand that, but old time Chiefs fans hate the Raiders and those rotten GD fish from Miami with a blood-boiling passion that can never be changed.

Onliest GD critter that I hate more than a damned Dolphin is any critter that has ever set foot inside of Oakland.

"Know thine enemy as thyself! A thousand battles, a thousand victories" Sun Tzu.

KILL RAIDERS!!!!!!!!

Donks and Bolts will eventually consign themselves to the scrap heap anyway.

AkChief49
08-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm cautious of this signing- from a Raven fan on the Raiders declining to sign him..... "as a ravens fan, you raiders fans should count your blessings. Gaither was a problem in the locker room, and lacked heart as a teammate and player, which is mainly why the ravens let him go. The coaching staff had enough of him, and even brought in former raven players to help get his head right, but it didn't work. all the physical attributes to be a star, but no heart." this is one huge red flag!!! I'm all for the guys in the trenches, but not a problem child. Hue Jackson coached this guy in Baltimore and chose instead to bring back Khalif Barnes. Big risk indeed. I do hope he finds "it" with us.

chief31
08-12-2011, 07:11 AM
FINALLY!!!

Rather Gaither plays at ROT, or beats out Albert at LOT, I am quite excited to have someone here to compete for the job at LOT.

Hope the concerns about injury are off the mark.

I have had my eye on this guy since he was taken in the supoplemental draft a few of years back.

He was a real bargain going for a fifth round pick.

Hope he exceeds all expectations.

AkChief49
08-12-2011, 07:18 AM
FINALLY!!!

Rather Gaither plays at ROT, or beats out Albert at LOT, I am quite excited to have someone here to compete for the job at LOT.

Hope the concerns about injury are off the mark.

I have had my eye on this guy since he was taken in the supoplemental draft a few of years back.

He was a real bargain going for a fifth round pick.

Hope he exceeds all expectations.

I do as well. but will remain a bit cautious. I hope he takes that Hue Jackson turned him down and is using that to fuel his fire. Especially against the Faiders:whipping1:

70 chiefsfan70
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
I really like the signing. Its always good to have depth and competition. I think this is a new opportunity for him and we wil be a better team because of him. I don't see him taking a starter LT position, but should work good in a the rotation.

Without some depth we would be in a world of hurt if Albert got hurt.

brdempsey69
08-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Finally, a legit LT candidate. If he's healthy and willing to work and learn the Chiefs system, then Gaither has far more ability to play the LT position than anyone on the Chiefs roster -- and yes, that certainly includes Albert who should be moved to LG where he has belonged all along, anyway.

I'll certainly be pulling for Gaither, as he is a natural LT, which the Chiefs don't have at present and he's a mountain of a man with huge upside.

jap1
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Looks like they are planning on Gaither playing LT and Albert playing RT.

Gaither will get his first look at left tackle | Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1776)

Jrudi
08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Looks like they are planning on Gaither playing LT and Albert playing RT.

Gaither will get his first look at left tackle | Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1776)

I think I will be happy with this starting lineup

LT- Gaither
LG- Lilja
C- Wieggmann (will make move to Hundson soon)
RG- Asamoah
RT- Albert

I'm really happy with this starting lineup. Amazing how 1 player changes the dynamic of our O-line.

Our depth is looking better too. Now Richardson has starting experience, That Mims dude is a beast, and with time may become another outstanding Lineman. Everyone is fairly young as well, except Lilja (should have a few seasons left) and Wieggmann (should be done after this season, and allow Hudson to take over)

Other than that I think Gaither is the oldest at 25 years old. Could amount to a solid O-line for 5+ years if we can keep them all here!

chief31
08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I think I will be happy with this starting lineup

LT- Gaither
LG- Lilja
C- Wieggmann (will make move to Hundson soon)
RG- Asamoah
RT- Albert

I'm really happy with this starting lineup. Amazing how 1 player changes the dynamic of our O-line.

Our depth is looking better too. Now Richardson has starting experience, That Mims dude is a beast, and with time may become another outstanding Lineman. Everyone is fairly young as well, except Lilja (should have a few seasons left) and Wieggmann (should be done after this season, and allow Hudson to take over)

Other than that I think Gaither is the oldest at 25 years old. Could amount to a solid O-line for 5+ years if we can keep them all here!

All of that is highly dependent upon Gaither's ability to ...

A.) STAY ON THE FIELD! He does have an injury history that is quite worrisome.

B.) Win the starting LOT job.

But, should he do both and excel as our starting LOT, then what I have viewed as our biggest weakness suddenly has the look of one of our greatest strengths.

I think Albert could be among the league's best at ROT or OG.

Personally, I would rather see Albert starting at LG, next to Gaither.

But I have very high hopes for the o-line, with the addition.

KristofLaw
08-15-2011, 08:41 PM
We've been signing a lot of former Ravens of late. Count that we also lost to them in the playoffs last season... good signings. Hopefully he can screw his head on straight... Go Chiefs!!

AkChief49
08-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Just watched an interview with this guy on the practice field. HE IS HUGE! Really hope he works out for us.

jap1
08-16-2011, 04:44 AM
According to Haley, Gaither is there for "competition" and depth at the left tackle position. I think a lot of us hope he turns out better than just competition for Albert and ends up being our LOT, moving Albert to the ROT.

Branden Albert still the man at left tackle for Chiefs - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/15/3078701/chiefs-camp-report-albert-still.html#storylink=rss)

chief31
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
We've been signing a lot of former Ravens of late. Count that we also lost to them in the playoffs last season... good signings. Hopefully he can screw his head on straight... Go Chiefs!!

I think it's more just coincidence in that The Ravens have been losing good players at positions that we have been needing.

When Ron Edwards signed with The Panthers, our NT position changed dramatically. Edwards was going to be the man to help the rookie, Powe, learn what is expected of him, and hold the position until Powe was ready to take over.

Franklin, the FA NT from The Niners, did not really fit that description, as he was more of a long term starter, thus changing the dynamic for Powe's future.

That brought our attention to Kelly Gregg, from The Ravens, who, while more of a true NT starter, is on the back side of his career, and will eventually be able to step out of the way for Powe.

Then.. With FB Ron McClain, I think our FB position was in need of an upgrade, and his ability to play HB in place of Thomas Jones would be a big deal in the future. Jones is far from young, and will need replaced eventually. McClain could be the answer there.

And finally, OT was our biggest remaining question mark. And Gaither is a guy who has a real chance of unseating Albert, or at least winning the ROT job.

Either way would provide an improvement over multiple o-line positions. Either directly, or through the competition.

No questioning the trend of Ravens becoming Chiefs. But I think has a whole more to do with the players and positions that The Ravens are having to let go, than with the results of our playoff loss to them.

But it is still possible.

Seek
08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
I think it's more just coincidence in that The Ravens have been losing good players at positions that we have been needing.

When Ron Edwards signed with The Panthers, our NT position changed dramatically. Edwards was going to be the man to help the rookie, Powe, learn what is expected of him, and hold the position until Powe was ready to take over.

Franklin, the FA NT from The Niners, did not really fit that description, as he was more of a long term starter, thus changing the dynamic for Powe's future.

That brought our attention to Kelly Gregg, from The Ravens, who, while more of a true NT starter, is on the back side of his career, and will eventually be able to step out of the way for Powe.

Then.. With FB Ron McClain, I think our FB position was in need of an upgrade, and his ability to play HB in place of Thomas Jones would be a big deal in the future. Jones is far from young, and will need replaced eventually. McClain could be the answer there.

And finally, OT was our biggest remaining question mark. And Gaither is a guy who has a real chance of unseating Albert, or at least winning the ROT job.

Either way would provide an improvement over multiple o-line positions. Either directly, or through the competition.

No questioning the trend of Ravens becoming Chiefs. But I think has a whole more to do with the players and positions that The Ravens are having to let go, than with the results of our playoff loss to them.

But it is still possible.

I don't think it is coincidence. We did sign Jim Zorn as our QB coach who was with Baltimore last year. I am sure he is giving Pioli some good scouting reports about what types of players these guys were in the locker room.

I am sure if we had someone on our staff from San Fran who could have vouched for Franklin maybe Pioli would have been more comfortable giving him a contract.

ctchiefsfan
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't think it is coincidence. We did sign Jim Zorn as our QB coach who was with Baltimore last year. I am sure he is giving Pioli some good scouting reports about what types of players these guys were in the locker room.

An interesting point!

chief31
08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

I am sure if we had someone on our staff from San Fran who could have vouched for Franklin maybe Pioli would have been more comfortable giving him a contract.

Excellent point.

I forgot all about Zorn.