PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Cassel Stats

Jrudi
08-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Just saw these stats on NFL.com and thought it was interesting. Just thinking with the line we had last year, it's crazy to think Cassell is in the top 5 of sacks allowed (these were also based on QB's that played a majority of the season) Just think if we can improve our line and Cassel can get rid of the ball quicker! looking forward to see how it shapes up. (Also shows the people that complained about our o-line last year.)

2010 sacks

1. 16 sacks- Eli & Peyton Manning
2. 23 sacks- Matt Ryan
3. 24 sacks- Ryan Fitzpatrick
4. 25 Sacks- Tom Brady, Alex Smith & Drew Brees
5. 26 Sacks- Matt Cassel

Also saw this.... If Cassel can build on what he learned last year I can only imagine what our offense can be. He sure does protect the football.

2010 Int's

1. Tom Brady- 4 (492 att) (1 every 123 attempts)
2. Big Ben- 5 (389 att) (1 every 78 attempts)
3. Josh Freeman- 6 (474 att)(1 every 79 attempts)
3. Micheal Vick- 6 (372 attempts) (1 every 62 attempts)
4. Matt Cassel- 7 (450 att) (1 every 65 attempts)

TopekaRoy
08-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Just saw these stats on NFL.com and thought it was interesting. Just thinking with the line we had last year, it's crazy to think Cassell is in the top 5 of sacks allowed (these were also based on QB's that played a majority of the season) Just think if we can improve our line and Cassel can get rid of the ball quicker! looking forward to see how it shapes up. (Also shows the people that complained about our o-line last year.)

2010 sacks

2. 23 sacks- Matt Ryan
5. 26 Sacks- Matt Cassel

Also saw this.... If Cassel can build on what he learned last year I can only imagine what our offense can be. He sure does protect the football.

2010 Int's

1. Tom Brady- 4 (492 att) (1 every 123 attempts)
2. Big Ben- 5 (389 att) (1 every 78 attempts)
3. Josh Freeman- 6 (474 att)(1 every 79 attempts)
3. Micheal Vick- 6 (372 attempts) (1 every 62 attempts)
4. Matt Cassel- 7 (450 att) (1 every 65 attempts)

I completely agree with your conclusion. Matt could be an elite QB with more/better receivers to throw to and an improved O line, but the numbers are just a little misleading. Cassel was actually 8th in sacks allowed. (There were 7 QBs ahead of him) and 5th in interceptions both of which are still very good considering what he had to work with.

A big reason for these great numbers is because the Chiefs ran the ball more than any other team in the NFL and only 3 teams threw the ball less. You aren't going to get sacked much handing the ball off.

The fact that he only threw 7 interceptions when he was frequently under pressure is impressive. He knows when to trow the ball out of bounds and not make a risky pass into coverage. He completed 58.2% of his passes which was only 26th (because he had to throw the ball away a lot) but still managed to get a passer rating of 93.0 (8th) which is very good. The high passer rating is the result of not turning the ball over.

Something else to consider that may have inflated his stats a bit is the very easy schedule the Chiefs faced last year, although I don't believe that there are any easy games in the NFL.

Cassel is clearly a very good QB with the potential to be great if he has the right players around him to work with. I'm excited to see if Breaston and Baldwin as well as McClain and a hopefully better O line this year can take him to the next level.

ctchiefsfan
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Living in small town New England, the Splats were often the only team on TV until the local tavern got the NFL Sunday Ticket last year. As a result I watched a number of Splats games the year Brady went down and Cassel filled in. With a few more quality targets to throw to, a better D-Line and Zorn coaching him, Cassel could be a top quarterback. He has learned a lot since that year and he did VERY well that year. We have a lot to look forward to.

chief31
08-18-2011, 10:13 AM
(Also shows the people that complained about our o-line last year.)

2010 sacks

2. 23 sacks- Matt Ryan
5. 26 Sacks- Matt Cassel

Peyton Manning - 16 Sacks, 679 PAs = 1 sack per 42.4 PAs.
Eli Manning - 16 Sacks, 539 PAs = 1 sack per 33.69 PAs
Drew Brees - 25 Sacks, 658 PAs = 1 sack per 26.3 PAs
Matt Ryan - 23 Sacks, 571 PAs = 1 sack per 24.8 PAs
Shaun Hill - 17 Sacks, 417 PAs = 1 sack per 24.5 PAs
Carson Palmer - 26 Sacks, 586 PAs = 1 sack per 22.5 PAs
Mark Sanchez - 27 Sacks, 507 PAs 1 sack per 18.8 PAs
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 24 Sacks, 440 PAs = 1 sack per 18.3 PAs
Matt Shaub - 32 Sacks, 574 PAs = 1 sack per 17.9 PAs
Sam Bradford - 34 Sacks, 590 PAs = 1 sack per 17.3 PAs
Matt Cassel - 26 Sacks 450 PAs = 1 sack per 17.3 PAs
Josh Freeman - 28 Sacks, 474 PAs = 1 sack per 16.9 PAs
Chad Henne - 30 Sacks, 490 PAs = 1 sack per 16.3 PAs
Aaron Rodgers - 31 Sacks, 471 PAs = 1 sack per 15.3 PAs
Kyle Orton - 34 Sacks, 498 PAs = 1 sack per 14.6 PAs
Phillip Rivers - 38 Sacks, 541 PAs = 1 sack per 14.2 PAs
Donovan Mcnabb - 37 Sacks, 472 PAs = 1 sack per 12.8 PAs
Joe Flacco - 40 Sacks, 489 PAs = 1 sack per 12.3 PAs
Jay Cutler - 52 Sacks, 432 PAs = 1 sack per 8.3 PAs

Now....

Not that our protection was terrible.... But looking at Sacks, alone, does not give an accurate measure of their performance.

And, if one factors in how the #1 rushing attack often helped to keep pass rushers at bay then they are likely to have a lesser opinion of our pass protection.

Again though, it was not terrible, just not real good.

OPLookn
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Peyton Manning - 16 Sacks, 679 PAs = 1 sack per 42.4 PAs.
Eli Manning - 16 Sacks, 539 PAs = 1 sack per 33.69 PAs
Drew Brees - 25 Sacks, 658 PAs = 1 sack per 26.3 PAs
Matt Ryan - 23 Sacks, 571 PAs = 1 sack per 24.8 PAs
Shaun Hill - 17 Sacks, 417 PAs = 1 sack per 24.5 PAs
Carson Palmer - 26 Sacks, 586 PAs = 1 sack per 22.5 PAs
Mark Sanchez - 27 Sacks, 507 PAs 1 sack per 18.8 PAs
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 24 Sacks, 440 PAs = 1 sack per 18.3 PAs
Matt Shaub - 32 Sacks, 574 PAs = 1 sack per 17.9 PAs
Sam Bradford - 34 Sacks, 590 PAs = 1 sack per 17.3 PAs
Matt Cassel - 26 Sacks 450 PAs = 1 sack per 17.3 PAs
Josh Freeman - 28 Sacks, 474 PAs = 1 sack per 16.9 PAs
Chad Henne - 30 Sacks, 490 PAs = 1 sack per 16.3 PAs
Aaron Rodgers - 31 Sacks, 471 PAs = 1 sack per 15.3 PAs
Kyle Orton - 34 Sacks, 498 PAs = 1 sack per 14.6 PAs
Phillip Rivers - 38 Sacks, 541 PAs = 1 sack per 14.2 PAs
Donovan Mcnabb - 37 Sacks, 472 PAs = 1 sack per 12.8 PAs
Joe Flacco - 40 Sacks, 489 PAs = 1 sack per 12.3 PAs
Jay Cutler - 52 Sacks, 432 PAs = 1 sack per 8.3 PAs

Now....

Not that our protection was terrible.... But looking at Sacks, alone, does not give an accurate measure of their performance.

And, if one factors in how the #1 rushing attack often helped to keep pass rushers at bay then they are likely to have a lesser opinion of our pass protection.

Again though, it was not terrible, just not real good.

I'll take it if this year he improves his reading the field skills and gets rid of the ball faster. If the line improves on top of that heck yeah.

That statistic that made me smile the most was seeing Jay 'Crybaby' Cutler at the bottom of that list. :yahoo: Can't STAND that guy.

TopekaRoy
08-18-2011, 10:25 PM
That statistic that made me smile the most was seeing Jay 'Crybaby' Cutler at the bottom of that list. :yahoo: Can't STAND that guy.

As a lifelong Chicago Bears fan, I couldn't let this comment go without sticking up for my QB.

You're Wrong About Jay Cutler (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1189171/2/index.htm)

That's not my opinion; it's Sports Illustrated's opinion.

Here's mine.

Jay Cutler is not a "crybaby." He's one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL. Granted his body language, his demeanor and his attitude are cold, sullen and not very likeable, but that's irrelevant. He's tough.

Last year Cutler was sacked 52 times in 13 1/2 games, more than any other QB. That doesn't count all the times he was knocked down after he released the ball or when he scrambled for a gain. Like the time he leaped across the goal line to score a touchdown and was hit so hard he spun around like a helicopter. And after every hit, he got back up and continued to play. That's tough.

In the NY Giants game Jay was sacked 9 times in one half. He was so rattled after one hit that he headed toward the wrong huddle! But he continued to play even though he had a pretty serious concussion. That's tough.

In the NFC Championship, he suffered a grade 2 MCL sprain early in the 2nd quarter, but he continued to play. It was obvious his mobility was hampered, but somehow in the locker room at halftime, he convinced the coaches that he could still play and they let him start the 2nd half. That's tough.

Only after the first drive of the 2nd half did the coaches and trainers realize how badly he was hurt and they took him out of the game. Cutler knew it was the right call, but he didn't like it. The broadcasters made a big deal of showing him on the sideline refusing treatment and even riding a stationary bike. That wasn't because the injury was minor. It was because he was trying to convince the trainers that he was Okay so they would put him back in. That's tough.

In 2008 Cutler led the Broncos to an 8-8 record despite a defense that was ranked 4th to last and gave up 28 points per game, and earned a trip to the pro bowl. The following year the Broncos brought in a new coach (McDaniels) who was hell-bent on getting Matt Cassel. Cutler didn't mind the competition. He just wanted reassurance that he was still the #1 QB and the job was his to lose. McDaniels wouldn't even get him that. After being treated like crap by the Broncos he asked for a trade and got one. Fast forward 2 years later and the Broncos finish the season with a 4-12 record while Jay's new team the Bears finish 11-5 with the best record in the NFC. Denver's loss is Chicago's (and Kansas City's) gain.

Say what you want about Cutlers personality. He doesn't care what you think, anyway. He just wants to win football games.

But you're wrong about Jay. He's no cry baby.

He's one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL.

ctchiefsfan
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I spirited defense...

doobs_05
08-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Say what you want about Cutlers personality. He doesn't care what you think, anyway. He just wants to win football games.

But you're wrong about Jay. He's no cry baby.

He's one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL.

HAHAHAHA that was great.......wait, were you serious?

TopekaRoy
08-19-2011, 03:41 AM
HAHAHAHA that was great.......wait, were you serious?

Dead serious! You disagree? How can you say he's not tough?

Did you read the Sports illustrated article? Here's the link again.

You're Wrong About Jay Cutler (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1189171/1/index.htm)

I'll quote part of the article if you are to lazy to read the whole thing.

Questioning Cutler's toughness is like questioning whether China has a lot of people. Whatever you want to rip him for, you can't rip him for that.

Cutler was sacked 52 times last year, 12 more than any other quarterback. The Giants sacked Cutler nine times in the first half of a 17--3 defeat of the Bears last October. New York quarterback Eli Manning was sacked 16 times all year. After one of the Giants' sacks, Cutler was so woozy, he got up and started walking toward the wrong sideline. Nobody knows exactly when he was concussed in that game, just that he was.

Tough? In high school he played safety as well as quarterback, and led his team to a state title despite playing with a sprained ankle.

Cutler played the entire 2007 season for the Broncos with undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. He lost 33 pounds over the course of the season but started all 16 games. How could anybody think he would wimp out in the biggest game of his career?
"He might be arrogant, might be a little stubborn, he might not have good body language—say what you want," Clayton says. "But don't say he's not tough."Here's what some other "tough" guys said about Cutler.

Brian Urlacher: “If Jay could have been in there, he would have been. That’s all I know. He’s not a little [expletive]. He’s a tough dude. He played hurt, and anyone who watches our games knows how tough he is.”

“He’s one of the toughest players on our football team.”

source (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/5551823-417/brian-urlacher-says-jay-cutler-is-one-of-the-toughest-players-on-the-bears.-)
Dick Butkus:
No one wanted Jay Cutler on the field as much as the former Chicago Bears linebacker considered the NFL's toughest player of all time.

Yet Dick Butkus isn't among the masses of Monday morning quarterbacks skewering the Bears quarterback.

"He's still a tough kid," Butkus said Monday. "I think it's ludicrous the amount of people taking shots at him. Nobody knows the extent of the injury like he does. I've been listening to the radio talk on this, and I think it's a little out of line."
source (http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/24/sports/la-sp-toughest-qbs-20110125)Yeah, he's tough. You try playing behind that crappy Bears offensive line and see how long you last!:smile

OPLookn
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Dead serious! You disagree? How can you say he's not tough?

Did you read the Sports illustrated article? Here's the link again.

You're Wrong About Jay Cutler (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1189171/1/index.htm)

I'll quote part of the article if you are to lazy to read the whole thing.

Here's what some other "tough" guys said about Cutler.
Yeah, he's tough. You try playing behind that crappy Bears offensive line and see how long you last!:smile

All the examples you gave were of a person doing their job. I played both sides of the ball in high school too and also played with a sprained ankle. It doesn't make me tough it means the coach didn't have anyone else that could play that position. No...seriously, we were a small school and didn't have anyone else.

Cutler my have several instances where he's "tough" or what I like to call doing his job. But his stance, attitude and overall demeanor isn't what made him a cry baby in my eyes. It was the way he was in the NFC championship game last year. With his team down and it only being half time he choose to ride the pine or be on a bike because he was "hurt". If he played thru sprained ankles in high school and was doing his job all the other times why quit now? Because he simply didn't want to go back out there. You can be as tough as you want but it only takes one time for people to call you out and look at everything else differently.

It's cool that you're standing up for Cutler and I really do think that. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion and mine is that Cutler isn't tough.

Ryfo18
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I would like to see all of Cassel's numbers stay the same, but the completion % go up above 62 or so. That would be progress. As it is, he avoids a lot of sacks by throwing the ball away. Cassel had the 4th most "throw aways" last year, and is partly to blame for the low completion %.

TopekaRoy
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
With his team down and it only being half time he choose to ride the pine or be on a bike because he was "hurt". If he played thru sprained ankles in high school and was doing his job all the other times why quit now? Because he simply didn't want to go back out there.

Why are you lying about Cutler? You say you played on a sprained ankle because you had to. In my eyes that makes you pretty tough. Did the players on your team tell the coach whether you wanted to play or not, or did the coach tell the players who was going to be on the field?

Cutler didn't "choose to ride the pine." He had no choice because he is not the coach. The coaches (and trainers) pulled him out of the game because his injury prevented him from planting, pivoting and moving laterally and the coaches felt that his lack of mobility was hurting the team. They also didn't want to risk further injury in case they won the game and needed him for the Super Bowl.

He didn't "quit." They numbed his knee in the locker room at halftime and let him start the 2nd half because he wanted to be on the field. Even on the sideline he tried to show the coaches he could still go, but they felt they had a better chance to win the game with a healthy Caleb Hanie (and they almost did.Cutler doesn't tell Lovie smith tells the players who is going to be on the field, not the other way around.

To say Cutler "quit" and didn't finish the game because he didn't want to is just an outright lie.

Ryfo18
08-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Why are you lying about Cutler? You say you played on a sprained ankle because you had to. In my eyes that makes you pretty tough. Did the players on your team tell the coach whether you wanted to play or not, or did the coach tell the players who was going to be on the field?

Cutler didn't "choose to ride the pine." He had no choice because he is not the coach. The coaches (and trainers) pulled him out of the game because his injury prevented him from planting, pivoting and moving laterally and the coaches felt that his lack of mobility was hurting the team. They also didn't want to risk further injury in case they won the game and needed him for the Super Bowl.

He didn't "quit." They numbed his knee in the locker room at halftime and let him start the 2nd half because he wanted to be on the field. Even on the sideline he tried to show the coaches he could still go, but they felt they had a better chance to win the game with a healthy Caleb Hanie (and they almost did.Cutler doesn't tell Lovie smith tells the players who is going to be on the field, not the other way around.

To say Cutler "quit" and didn't finish the game because he didn't want to is just an outright lie.

The Cutler situation last year was the shining moment for meatheads around the world to unite and tell their stories about what once was.

Chiefster
08-20-2011, 12:00 AM

...Or at the very least an erroneous speculation. :D

TopekaRoy
08-20-2011, 03:25 AM
...Or at the very least an erroneous speculation. :D
LOL. Okay. Let;s go with erroneous speculation.

erroneous: incorrect (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/incorrect), wrong (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wrong) - not correct; not in conformity with fact or truth. (source (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/erroneous))

Speculation: Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition. (source (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/speculation))

So to say Cutler quit on the team would be incorrect reasoning based on inconclusive evidence.

I agree.

Chiefster
08-20-2011, 10:48 AM
LOL. Okay. Let;s go with erroneous speculation.

So to say Cutler quit on the team would be incorrect reasoning based on inconclusive evidence.

I agree.

:bananen_smilies046: