PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback disaster

iamsofaking
09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Cassell is worthless and will NEVER be a productive starting quarterback. Last year was a farce and I don't have any faith that Cassell will ever be able to lead this team to any sort of success. And he is only in the third year of a 6 year contract. It's looking grim for the Chiefs in the near future.:thumbdown:

azchiefsfan
09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
:efpge:I disagree.

SIC J
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
What exactly did Cassel do against the Bills they made you come to this conclusion?

From what I saw, he was one of the BEST players on the field yesterday!

TopekaRoy
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't give up on Cassel after one bad game. Remember he was playing with a broken rib, too. He has proven he can be a good QB with a good team around him. Last year he passed for 3116 yds with 27 TDs 7 ints and a 03 passer rating. The year before that he was on a terrible Chiefs team that went 4-12.

His last year in New England he passed for 3693 yds, 21 TDs, 11 INTs and an 89.4 passer rating. He is not an elite QB but he is very good.

The Chiefs have a lot of problems this year, but quarterback is not one of them.

McD
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Cassell needs to play within a system... without it he's avg at best.

matthewschiefs
09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Cassel last year 27tds 7ints he's won games before and he can win them again

The CHIEFS and Cassel were horrible yesterday. No one on here can deny that. The score tells you how bad they were. But Cassel was not alone. The whole team was horrible. And when the whole team is horrible it's not one guys fault why you lose. Cassel was a part of the loss. But I can't say he was a huge part. This game went wrong before Cassel even touched the football.

honda522
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Stars with the play calling...........

chief31
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
We are paying cassel Drew brees/tom brady/peyton manning money. This guy cannot move the ball without the running game working. He is not a qb that can sit in shotgun and move the ball. All he does is dump it to the flats in hope for a few yds. I have never been a believer and this guy that created the thread is absolutely correct. Hes a very very conservative qb who cant make the throws, get someone who can actually MOVE THE BALL

The offense is designed around the running game, and Cassel is specifically asked to lead THAT offense, and not Payton Manning's offense.

He has been playing conservatively because he is asked to play conservatively, is coached to do so, and was not prepared to "open it up" with cracked ribs yesterday.

And his not making Brady/Manning money either.

KCraised
09-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I smell a mutiny...lol

Hayvern
09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
The offense is designed around the running game, and Cassel is specifically asked to lead THAT offense, and not Payton Manning's offense.

He has been playing conservatively because he is asked to play conservatively, is coached to do so, and was not prepared to "open it up" with cracked ribs yesterday.

And his not making Brady/Manning money either.

And add to the fact that this offensive line STILL cannot protect him long enough for a play to develop. He dumps the balls off short because it takes 2 to 3 seconds for a deep play to develop. Our receivers are not fast enough to blast passed coverage, so they have to run routes that get them open. Unfortunately, anything longer than three seconds is going to turn into a sack.

So Cassel is always looking for something quick to dump off, and the first guy he finds, he is getting rid of the ball. Have a few 340 pound players knock you on your *** a few times and you would be looking for the same thing.

KristofLaw
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
We'll see, but I'm more on the side of wait and see if this team can develop into the scheme and style it is attempting to be built into. As of now he fits the scheme but it is largely ineffective at times for the most part. What's missing... we'll have to hope it turns around for the better soon.

iratefan
09-12-2011, 07:08 PM
i fail to see how yesterday was Cassel's fault. All of our offensive weapons arent worth **** if the O-line cant give us at least 3 seconds of breathing room. You cant throw to receivers down field when they havent even gotten there yet by the time youre getting sacked.

Dont misunderstand this post as me praising Cassel, i do find him quite average myself. If you saw peyton manning or tom brady in his shoes, youd see both of those guys literally yelling at their players and their coaches if they had to, getting their team's **** together. Cassel just doesnt have that clout.

2010chiefs
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Cassel missed targets all day yesterday and does not scan the field. He's set on his target from the snap. Anytime he does throw downfield, he is way off. He doesn's give his receivers a chance to make big plays because he's not accurate. There were mistakes everywhere, but when you can't move the ball at all. The team has nothing to build on. Cassel and Hailey are to blame in my opinion.

nigeriannightmare
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Cassel missed targets all day yesterday and does not scan the field. He's set on his target from the snap. Anytime he does throw downfield, he is way off. He doesn's give his receivers a chance to make big plays because he's not accurate. There were mistakes everywhere, but when you can't move the ball at all. The team has nothing to build on. Cassel and Hailey are to blame in my opinion.

We can all agree we needed to upgrade at the wr position but our offensive line is average at best. I saw the bills line in the backfield an awful lot. In fact Im pretty sure my brothers and I called six consecutive plays in a row and if I knew what we were gonna run you bet your a** the bills knew it was coming our LT's natural position isn't even LT,and to me that's where it starts. .....

2010chiefs
09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
There were the few times where Cassel had plenty of time and did nothing or even threw it away. Not sayiing what your saying isn't true.

tornadospotter
09-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Why does it seem that Cassel has so many passes knocked down? This is a comment I have made in the past, and no I am not bashing on our starting QB! I am just asking?

doobs_05
09-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Cassel numbers were boosted because he played against bad teams last year. He excelled against bad pass D's and was average or below average against good pass D's teams

SIC J
09-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Cassel numbers were boosted because he played against bad teams last year. He excelled against bad pass D's and was average or below average against good pass D's teams

You ever think the reason he does well in some games is cuz he actually has TIME to throw the ball?

And in games where the O-line is absolutely horrible, his numbers are low?

It's football, not rocket science.

As for the short dump off passes, you guys ever think that that is what play is called?

Once again this year, teams are stacking the box and waiting for the run. Chiefs tried to switch it up and coming out passing. It failed miserably because the Bills stacked the box or blitzed, leading Cassel to not having much time to throw along with the O-line just sucking all game.

No time to throw = QB sucking

Look at Big Ben against the Ravens yesterday.

azchiefsfan
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
There were the few times where Cassel had plenty of time and did nothing or even threw it away. Not sayiing what your saying isn't true.

Because his receivers weren't open. The receivers were wearing the secondary tighter than their jock straps. But all you Cassel haters are right. He should have forced passes and had 10 interceptions and taken 20 sacks. Then he would have been "doing something". What part of NOBODY was doing anything to help him do people not get?

Ryfo18
09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
A breakdown of Cassel's numbers:

Passes completed behind the line of scrimmage: 7/7, 3 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INT

Passes 0-9 Yards: 14/18 101 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT

Passes 10-19 yards: 1/5, 15 Yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

Passes 20+ yards: 0/4, 0 Yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

His downfield accuracy has to get better, plain and simple. Why do you think Haley is calling 7 screen passes a game. The playcalling is bad too, but is it because they don't trust Cassel to throw the ball downfield?

Three7s
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
For anyone that still thinks Cassel is kind of good, here is a wide-open Bowe on the same play where Cassel threw that pick.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/09/12.jpg

Chiefster
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
For anyone that still thinks Cassel is kind of good, here is a wide-open Bowe on the same play where Cassel threw that pick.

Well, in Cassel's defense Bowe doesn't usually catch the ball if he's wide open. :D

SIC J
09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

His downfield accuracy has to get better, plain and simple. Why do you think Haley is calling 7 screen passes a game. The playcalling is bad too, but is it because they don't trust Cassel to throw the ball downfield?

He also had a 30 yard pass dropped in the endzone. To me, that was the game changer.

pojote
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM

I see 2 DL rushing, Bowe has just passed behind a LB and his target was single covered, not a bad idea if you are accurate. Yesterday Brady hit Welker on double coverage and was a 99 yards TD.
I think his best option was the guy in the slot or even his tailback.

Bike
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Cassell is worthless and will NEVER be a productive starting quarterback. Last year was a farce and I don't have any faith that Cassell will ever be able to lead this team to any sort of success. And he is only in the third year of a 6 year contract. It's looking grim for the Chiefs in the near future.:thumbdown:
Cassel had a great support system in New England and he was successful there. He is the same qb now as he was then, so what does that tell ya?

2010chiefs
09-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Nope not the same QB he was then and defintley does not have the same system he had then. Cassel is so obvious where he's throwing the ball and those pump fakes aren't faking anybody. HE DOESN"T SCAN THE FIELD EVEN WHEN HE DOES HAVE TIME!

Lazeye
09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I say give him another year, that is Cassel

Bike
09-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Nope not the same QB he was then
Yes he is. His talent level is what it is. It's the coaching staff that makes all the difference.

azchiefsfan
09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah, sure, Chiefs suck. Time to find a new team to root for. Whatever. I'm sick of the negative crap. I'm also excited for next week.

SIC J
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, sure, Chiefs suck. Time to find a new team to root for. Whatever. I'm sick of the negative crap. I'm also excited for next week.

They are all going to quit their day jobs and become head coaches in the NFL and you are going to look stupid. LOL

JailbreakRdr
09-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Really man? Cassel, noting you can't even spell his name right, is exactly what he was advertised as, but the Chiefs brought him in. You don't think there would be some hiccup getting him into a new system, with significantly less weapons around him? You are expecting a lot. Your OL is a shell of what it used to be, your wideouts are marginal. He can't win games on his own. Look back on your recent strong years, I'm not counting last season. Your OL built your team. You think it's a coincidence that Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson both tore **** up only to watch LJ fall on his face towards his final time. Sure, he had lost a bit of a step, but your OL was your bread and butter. Best in the league at the time. It's a team sport, one man is never to blame.

Your team had a good season last year, but your schedule was weak. One bad week does not make a season. Just have realistic expectations with where your team is, you aren't ready yet. But is your team going a direction you believe in? That is what matters.

Our division is weak. Denver is in serious trouble. The Chargers have peaked, they better win it while they can. The Raiders and Chiefs are in similar places. Some good pieces and some severe weaknesses other places.

It's a loss. Get it out and get over it.

My question, and much greater concern, is what do you all think about the direction Haley is taking the team?

nigeriannightmare
09-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Wouldn't his inability to follow thru due to the rib injury afffect his passes downfield?

Ryfo18
09-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't his inability to follow thru due to the rib injury afffect his passes downfield?

I hope so...but his downfield accuracy in the past hasn't exactly been phenomenal.

I'll admit, I've been a little down after last week's pathetic loss, and probably overreacting a bit. Everyone has to get better, starting with the coaching and playcalling.

chief31
09-17-2011, 09:48 PM

First off, I would like to say ....

HOLY SINGLE PLAY BATMAN!!!!

One play means that a player is no good?

Then I guess there has never ever been a single player who was any good.

Secondly, I'd like to ask if you bothered to look at the photo you supplied.

Do you not see the CB right with Bowe, and the Safety help, over the top, who would have been charging in to lay the smack down on Bowe, had the throw been going that way, instead of where you see him running, as the pass is throw in that direction.

And the intended receiver has a step on his coverage, with the Safety having a long way to go to get to him.

Seems like it was a good decision, just a bad throw.

I would like to see what happens on that play if Cassel is playing without the rib injury.