PDA

View Full Version : Lions fan here

littlekaps
09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
HELLO CHIEFS FANS!!!

I am a Lions fan on one of our web sites and I like to go to the other teams' forums and talk a little football. (Notice I said football and not trash.)

Anyways, as many of you may hear/see/envision, many of us in Detroit now believe that this team will be 16-0, dismantle the Packers and completely re-write the football history books.

However, I am a realist. Thus, I have some questions/thoughts about this week's game in Detroit that I would love to have a discussion with you.

1) What the HELL happened against Buffalo? By the looks of it, self destruction seemed to occur.

2) Haley. Have the players lost faith in him yet? It just seemed (outsider remember) that the Chiefs seemed listless.

3) What are your predictions for this game? I wrote in a small post on our website I thought the Lions would roll - for a few reasons. #1, it is our home opener with expectations. Read the last sentence. When is the last time we had expectations? #2, have the issues that occurred with you guys vs. Buffalo been identified/solved? #3, Eric Berry going down was a big hit and opens up your back guys against Calvin Johnson. But, remember this name - Brandon Petitgrew. He can beat your safeties in the seam. Plus, we had McGraw here for a year on the 0-16 year.

Anyways, look forward to a little banter and discussion and would love to hear some opinions.

Canada
09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the Crowd. :bananen_smilies046:

Things do not look good for us this coming weekend!! I do think that a lot of what happened against Buffalo was self inflicted. Fumbles, lack of protection, INT, and poor play calling. unfortunately I dont think a lot of that will be worked out by next weekend. I have always liked the Lions so I am pulling for them every game but this weekend!!

I am driving up from Niagara Falls Canada for the game so please go easy on me!! I will be on my best behaviour!!:bananen_smilies046:

pojote
09-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Mostly what happened was Cassel throwing 35+ passes, and Jamaal Charles getting 10 (TEN) carries.
And yes, without Berry secondary is really less competitive.

azchiefsfan
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I think Haley did not condition our guys enough and they ran out of gas halfway through the 1st quarter. Also, Buffalo started at 90 mph and we couldn't come close to matching their tempo. As I said about our 4th preseason game, our guys seemed completely confused about running plays on both sides of the ball. That is ALL on Haley. We can turn it around, but as our lovely and talented Canuck said, not in a week. I am looking at a 28-0 loss to your Lions, but a more disciplined team than last week.

SIC J
09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Well according to nfl.com, Johnson has a shoulder injury and didn't practice today.

Ryfo18
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I will be on my best behaviour!!:bananen_smilies046:

Just for littlekaps sake, Canada's best behavior is nothing tame.

Ryfo18
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
As far as my prediction, I think this is somewhat of a letdown game for Detroit. I think they'll let their guard down some, but still pull out a victory 24-21.

H-townChiefsFan
09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
3) What are your predictions for this game? I wrote in a small post on our website I thought the Lions would roll - for a few reasons. #1, it is our home opener with expectations. Read the last sentence. When is the last time we had expectations? #2, have the issues that occurred with you guys vs. Buffalo been identified/solved? #3, Eric Berry going down was a big hit and opens up your back guys against Calvin Johnson. But, remember this name - Brandon Petitgrew. He can beat your safeties in the seam. Plus, we had McGraw here for a year on the 0-16 year.

Anyways, look forward to a little banter and discussion and would love to hear some opinions.

I dont think your Lions wil 'roll' as you put it. I think this game will be pretty close. your #1...you cant realistically believe you will beat out GB or even CHI for that matter, hope - yes, expect - no way. #2, I am sure the Chiefs have identified many areas of improvement and many of the woes from the Bills game were self-inflicted. #3, Last time I checked, CJ is a WR, who will be covered by a CB, not a S. Pettigrew will present some problems, but Tony Gonzales he is not, plus the Chiefs know they need to focus on covering TEs.

I predict a 28-24 Lions victory in a close game where Cassel once again proves he cannot conjure up any late game heroics and put together a game-winning drive.
:drunkhb:

littlekaps
09-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I dont think your Lions wil 'roll' as you put it. I think this game will be pretty close. your #1...you cant realistically believe you will beat out GB or even CHI for that matter, hope - yes, expect - no way. #2, I am sure the Chiefs have identified many areas of improvement and many of the woes from the Bills game were self-inflicted. #3, Last time I checked, CJ is a WR, who will be covered by a CB, not a S. Pettigrew will present some problems, but Tony Gonzales he is not, plus the Chiefs know they need to focus on covering TEs.

I predict a 28-24 Lions victory in a close game where Cassel once again proves he cannot conjure up any late game heroics and put together a game-winning drive.
:drunkhb:
Good reply. As far as #1 goes, trust me, I don't think we can beat out Green Bay. Chicago may be more of an even matchup. When I say expectations, it means that we are expected to compete and win some games. (trust me, if you listened to the radio around here, you would think we invented football this last weekend)

CJ is a WR but usually he beats his guy and has to compete with the over the top safety. Thus, that is where the safety play comes in. Good luck!

Chiefster
09-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking that it may well be a long trip back to KC, but hope I'm wrong. I would love nothing more than to eat crow on this one.

littlekaps
09-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Just for littlekaps sake, Canada's best behavior is nothing tame.

I go fishing each year way up in Northern Ontario...I am FULLY aware and partake in it any chance I can get...

Coach
09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I think you will likely see a different KC team this week. Primarily the effort level. Last week there was none, if that happens again this week I would be extremely shocked.

In particular I think we will slow down your running game. Also, you don't have anyone that can stop Tamba Hali. With that said, we will once again struggle moving the ball. I would expect you to beat us on few long plays. Overall, I like the under. If the chiefs win the turnover battle, they will have a shot at this game.

azchiefsfan
09-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Agreed. I think this is all in Cassel's hands. The O line is going to fail. We will rarely see less than a 6 man rush to overwhelm a weak O line. The Bills set the template and now Cassel has to make quick, good decisions. That is what we are going to face all year. That will be an opportunity with Bowe doubled every down and man coverage on everyone else. What can Cassel do? I think the game is winnable, but I can also see us get shut out if we don't have an answer for the blitzes on nearly every snap.

Three7s
09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I think you will likely see a different KC team this week. Primarily the effort level. Last week there was none, if that happens again this week I would be extremely shocked.

In particular I think we will slow down your running game. Also, you don't have anyone that can stop Tamba Hali. With that said, we will once again struggle moving the ball. I would expect you to beat us on few long plays. Overall, I like the under. If the chiefs win the turnover battle, they will have a shot at this game.
They'll probably double-team Hali like the Bills did. Crennel needs to counter that by BLITZING!

OPLookn
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Based on what I saw last week I'll agree that most of the problems (turnovers) were self inflicted. However I think Cassel will become a very close personal friend of D-Lineman named Suh. I think the Lions defense causes complete havoc all afternoon.

As for the Chiefs defense, while better than week one due to so much time on the field and the loss of Barry the flood gates eventually pour open. It pains me to type that and think it but right now we're looking like a division 1-A team playing a 1-AA team. By the end of the game the Lions cover the 8 point spread.

As said earlier I'll GLADLY eat crow on this one and hope that I'll be doing just that.

Hayvern
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Well I am much more optimistic on this than many of my KC counterparts. I do believe that Crennel laid the smack down on the defense this week and they will be different this weekend. I do believe safety is a weak spot without Berry, but I do not see that as being as big of an issue as Crennel will have found a way to stop the TE attack.

Offensively, we still have some problems, but I do believe the Chiefs will go back to the running game this weekend and I think that will cause problems for Detroit. If Charles can hang on to the ball and continue to run for 5.6 yards per carry, it is going to be hard for Detroit.

The biggest thing comes down to our offensive line, as it always does. If they can slow down Suh or take him out of the game (not by injury lets hope) then we stand a shot.

I think these teams are pretty close on paper. I think the Chiefs win in overtime 24 - 21

Ryfo18
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I saw something the other day that's worth noting. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like: "the last 3 times Detroit has been favored by a TD or more, they lost the game outright."

The spread I think right now is -9. Just throwing that nugget out there for everyone.

Canada
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I go fishing each year way up in Northern Ontario...I am FULLY aware and partake in it any chance I can get...Is there any tailgating in Detroit? I wouldnt mind tippin' a few with some Lions fans!! :bananen_smilies046:

littlekaps
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Is there any tailgating in Detroit? I wouldnt mind tippin' a few with some Lions fans!! :bananen_smilies046:

Eastern Market. Best place to tailgate for the game.

josh1971
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not picking against the chiefs, and to say we have no linebackers? Wrong. I'll take Houston, Hali, and DJ, thanks.

17-16 KC.

littlekaps
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not picking against the chiefs, and to say we have no linebackers? Wrong. I'll take Houston, Hali, and DJ, thanks.

17-16 KC.

I have never seen Hali play but his contract recently shows his worth to you guys and probably his ability to each team. My point on the linebackers was more of a slant against some of our fans who continually believe we are endeared to a 16-0 season.

My questioning the ability of the Chiefs is their recent slide last week and the momentum that may have been burned in the preseason. Looking at trends, I see the Lions winning this due to the momentum this team has as well as it being a home game for Detroit.

azchiefsfan
09-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Since we have wet toilet paper for an O line and your team has Suh. Need I say more? If I were a Lions defensive coordinator, I'd blitz every down. Why not? The Bills were 30th in the league last year for points allowed. They still have a 3rd string D line for most NFL teams and they made us look like we had pee wee league linemen up against them. So with a good D line like Detroit has, Cassel may be taken out of the stadium on life support. I still think we are going to progress this year, but after the injuries, it's gonna take some time to fill the holes.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I have never seen Hali play but his contract recently shows his worth to you guys and probably his ability to each team. My point on the linebackers was more of a slant against some of our fans who continually believe we are endeared to a 16-0 season.

My questioning the ability of the Chiefs is their recent slide last week and the momentum that may have been burned in the preseason. Looking at trends, I see the Lions winning this due to the momentum this team has as well as it being a home game for Detroit.

Well, quite honestly, we should both be hoping that our QB make it out of the game healthy. Suh is an absolute beast, but Hali is every bit the pass rusher that his contract suggests. While he isn't the physical force that Suh is, Stafford isn't exactly as durable as Cassel. I'm honestly hoping for no injuries on either side.

I think, for the most part, KC people tend to like the Lions. There's a small kinship of midwestern teams, and being that Lions are NFC, it's easy to root for them.

Lions have a tremendous amount of talent, because (despite KC trying their hardest to prove otherwise) you cannot draft that high for that long and not come out with some talent.

Someone said it earlier, but I think the biggest problem is going to be Pettigrew. We are consistently horrible against tight ends. I mean, with Berry out, there is no way we cover a guy like Pettigrew (wormtail!)

I am not sure about our running game. Most of the time, we are going off-tackle or stretch, so it might not be devastating for Suh to get penetration, which he absolutely, positively will. There's no way Wiegmann holds him off.

Coming off a strong road win, there might be concern that the Lions let up against KC, but I think they're going to want to bring the good vibes back to D-town.

I think Jahvid is going to have a medium game. Somewhere around 60 yds rushing and another 30 receiving. Megatron will get his, another 6 for 110 and a score day.

Pettigrew could easily torch us for two scores.

That said, this game might not be the cakewalk people are expecting. Berry going down literally ruins our season - he's that important - but there are still a lot of gritty players who won't cry "uncle".

I'm saying it's either a blowout victory for the Lions, or the Chiefs scrape out a win.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Since we have wet toilet paper for an O line and your team has Suh. Need I say more? If I were a Lions defensive coordinator, I'd blitz every down. Why not? .

Because you could get consistent penetration rushing four DL the whole game and force cassel to throw it into a seven-defender gauntlet.