PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Chiefs being a run first team?

#58ChiefsFan
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
18 rush attempts and 36 pass attempts week one. IIRC McClain was on the field for four snaps? When we were good we chewed up the clock with the ground game and our defense rarely was gassed.

Sure it's only one game but why in the world would they move away from that overall plan? This dink and dunk pass crap is complete garbage it never worked in the past and it doesn't work now.

I have never liked Muir for OC, his play calling Sunday proved to me what I thought all along. I want to see Haley calling the plays again, I have heard him say over and over and over that this team is built to run the ball. Weis was smart enough to know our strength but this damn Muir seems clueless as to what we are able to do. He was an adequate at best line coach and completely sucked it up in his debut as OC.

matthewschiefs
09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I think the numbers would have been at least a little diffrent if we were not down big time throughout that game. When a team gets down they throw the ball more trying to get back into the game.

#58ChiefsFan
09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
119 yards though! I think it was a 3.3 average gain on passing plays, we were close to double that in rush gains. I'd be interested in what the longest pass attempt was that day if anyone knows.

Hayvern
09-14-2011, 10:00 PM
18 rush attempts and 36 pass attempts week one. IIRC McClain was on the field for four snaps? When we were good we chewed up the clock with the ground game and our defense rarely was gassed.

Sure it's only one game but why in the world would they move away from that overall plan? This dink and dunk pass crap is complete garbage it never worked in the past and it doesn't work now.

I have never liked Muir for OC, his play calling Sunday proved to me what I thought all along. I want to see Haley calling the plays again, I have heard him say over and over and over that this team is built to run the ball. Weis was smart enough to know our strength but this damn Muir seems clueless as to what we are able to do. He was an adequate at best line coach and completely sucked it up in his debut as OC.

This is what happens when you quickly go down 14 - 0. You spend the rest of the game playing catch up.

Take away McCluster's drop in the first kick off return and we would have had better luck setting up the run.

We had the same problem last year, and actually, this is one of the problems with a run first, run only team. Running the ball takes a lot of time off the clock, works great when you are ahead in the game, is horrible when you fall behind quickly.

#58ChiefsFan
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Trying to remember but it was about 7 or 8 mins in the game when buf scored that second td wasn't it? I hate to think that with that much time on the clock our OC would go into panic mode and think we had to get it all back that half. I just believe this team has a better chance of breaking a 40+ yard run on a more consistent basis than it does of gaining that much through the air.

TopekaRoy
09-15-2011, 01:31 AM
McCluster fumbled the opening kickoff and the Bills scored a TD 5 plays later. The Chiefs were playing catchup the rest of the game. That's what happenned to the run game.

Sure, it's too early to abandon the run game with 57:21 left to play, but the Chiefs tried to run the ball with little success. Take a look at their first few drives.

1st Drive
1st and 10 at KC 13 M.Cassel pass short right to L.Pope to KC 28 for 15 yards
1st and 10 at KC 28 J.Charles (Run) left end pushed ob at KC 32 for 4 yards
2nd and 6 at KC 3 2 M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to T.Copper.
3rd and 6 at KC 32 M.Cassel sacked at KC 30 for -2 yards
4th and 8 at KC 30D.Colquitt punts 46 yards to BUF 24

2nd Drive
1st and 10 at KC 20 M.Cassel pass incomplete short right to L.Pope.
2nd and 10 at KC 20 J.Charles (run) up the middle to KC 23 for 3 yards.
3rd and 7 at KC 23 (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Cassel pass short left to J.Charles to KC 17 for -6 yards.
4th and 13 at KC 17 D.Colquitt punts 27 yards to KC 44.

3rd Drive
1st and 10 at KC 14 J.Charles (run) left tackle to KC 18 for 4 yards.
2nd and 6 at KC 18 M.Cassel pass short right to D.Bowe to KC 20 for 2 yards.
3rd and 4 at KC 20 M.Cassel pass incomplete deep left to D.Bowe.
4th and 4 at KC 20 D.Colquitt punts 58 yards to BUF 22

The first pkay the Chiefs ran was a 15 yd pass which was a smart play. The Bills were expecting the Chiefs to tun the ball a lot, and we took advantage of that, forcing the Bills to cover and setting up the run. Unfortunately they were keying on Charles the whole game and he couldn't get anything going. He had a 4 yd rush, 3 yd rush, -6 yd pass and 4 yd rush.

The Chiefs kept putting themselves in 3rd and long situations were they were forced to pass. (3rd and 6 -2 sack, 3rd and 7 -6 yd pass, 3rd and 4 incomplete pass)

They couldn't run the ball to get 3rd and short, and they couldn't convert on 3rd downs. As they fell farther behind, they were forced to abandon the run and pass more. Their inability to keep the offense on the field wore out the defense and they fell apart.

The Chiefs are a team that is designed to get an early lead and hold it. They were in trouble from the first (fumbled) play of the game. It didn't help that the lost berry early and Sabby wasn't prepared to step in for him. It also didn't help that they had a 19 yd touchdown pass taken away (correct call) followed by a 12 yd sack and a missed 49 yd fg. That series was a game changer, IMO.

This was just one of those games were a lot of things went wrong early and they were unable to recover. The Chiefs aren't a great team this year, but they are a lot better than they showed Sunday. I expect to a lot of improvement next week.

chiefnut
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
i thought we should have tried to pound the middle w/ Mclain & Jones mix in some play action then send Charles off tackle.

Hayvern
09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
i thought we should have tried to pound the middle w/ Mclain & Jones mix in some play action then send Charles off tackle.

Nope, we were too busy running delayed draw plays out of the shotgun and screen passes that had no screen.

josh1971
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Nope, we were too busy running delayed draw plays out of the shotgun and screen passes that had no screen.

This. Those delayed draw plays have made me want to watch Bill Muir get launched into the sun...

SIC J
09-15-2011, 08:23 PM

9 out of 10 times I hate that play no matter what team is doing it!

Chiefster
09-16-2011, 05:32 AM
We better be a run first team cause we dont have a qb

On this we will need to agree to disagree.

Hayvern
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
9 out of 10 times I hate that play no matter what team is doing it!

And I hate that play 10 out of 10 times when the Chiefs do it. I bet we ran that play 5 times on Sunday and netted -14 yards overall with it.

Yet we seem to go back to that play 2 or 3 times a quarter. Results in a wasted down everytime.

SIC J
09-17-2011, 08:32 PM
We better be a run first team cause we dont have a qb

Do you have to mention that in nearly EVERY single post? Alright we get it, you don't like Cassel. Move on.

And you ever think the Chiefs should be a run first team cuz they have one of the best RB's in the NFL?