PDA

View Full Version : Not Over Yet

Codac
09-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Back for the first time in like 2 years haha. Just had to talk about the Chiefs with someone. Out here in Afghan everyone likes the freaking steelers and pats.

So what I see is a terrible first 2 games. (obviously.) But the season is not even close to being over yet. If Dexter can somehow get himself to play like he played in college and come into his own, then the season isn't even close to being over.

In my opinion the season falls onto the shoulders of 2 players. Matt Cassel and Dexter McCluster.
Cassel has a decent array of weapons around him. Breaston is a good player. Not great but good. Once triple B (Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin) gets going i think they could be a very good trio. Cassel needs to make better decisions. That is obvious. He is just trying to hard. He needs to relax, read the coverage and start doing what I think he has the ability to do.
I'm not a huge Cassel fan but I still think he has a chance to save this season.
As stated earlier McCluster needs to make some plays running the ball. Thomas is a good reliable player but not as reliable as he used to and he has definitely slowed down. Ease McCluster into the running game next game, then get him more touches game 4. Don't forget he is a guy that can make catches out of the backfield. Throw some screens into the mix. Hopefully he can make it to where we can manage to miss Charles for the season and then next season him and Charles together can tear it up.

Todd Haley. Touchy subject, but I still like him. I think he needs to work with Muir and balance out the gameplan more. They have been passing way too much. Obviously we are no longer a run first team with Jamal out but with LeRon, Thomas, and Dexter you still have a better backfield than other teams in the league.

The Defense is struggling. Losing Berry was a HUGE hit. Like Charles there is no true replacement for him. McGraw needs to step up. He has been with this team for a long time and now is his chance to prove he has deserved to be on this team for so long. Flowers, Hali, and Johnson need to step up and be leaders and help this defense to get playing at a higher level that we now they can.

Thats my opinion. If you think i'm crazy then call me crazy. What do ya think?

azchiefsfan
09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
It's not over, but the obese woman is clearing her throat. We will most likely lose badly to SD, BUT if we can hang in the game and not get blown out from the first play, I think we can end up with a decent season-like maybe six wins.

Codac
09-21-2011, 12:14 AM
She might be, but she hasn't started yet. I don't think we will lose that bad to SD, in fact I think people will be pleasantly surprised. Especially with Matt Cassel.

2010chiefs
09-21-2011, 12:28 AM
I went to the game in S.D last year when they got pounded. They are worse this year. Sure Brodie Croyle played in that game but they had the rest of the roster and got killed. I don't see 2011 Matt doing any better. Hope your right though.

ctchiefsfan
09-21-2011, 12:33 AM
This year can be salvaged! No playoffs, but at least something halfway respectable. We just need some of our younger players to step up and say "OK, some stars are down, this is my chance to step up and show how good I can be". All lot of our players overperformed last year. We need people to do it again.

:chiefs:

chiefnut
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
"it ain't over till its over" but right now we are an ocean liner about to hit an iceberg

OPLookn
09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
All I know is that we're going to lose this weekend. Wish we weren't and if we don't hey I'll be the first to put my foot in my mouth. Past that if we don't have some wins up by the time we get to the bye week I'm going to doubt that we'll get one the rest of the season. Before the bye week we have (SD, Vikings, Colts).

AkChief49
09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
All I know is that we're going to lose this weekend. Wish we weren't and if we don't hey I'll be the first to put my foot in my mouth. Past that if we don't have some wins up by the time we get to the bye week I'm going to doubt that we'll get one the rest of the season. Before the bye week we have (SD, Vikings, Colts).
I'm too much of a :homer: to go that far to say we are going to lose. I'll always hope to win, my ears might be full of sand, so be it.:bananen_smilies046:

drstandley31
09-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Stay safe over there Brother!

We need a Defense in a bad way. without the ability to put any pressure on a QB, we're in for a long ride. It's a problem we've had for a way too long.

chief31
09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
"it ain't over till its over" but right now we are an ocean liner about to hit an iceberg

I'd even say we have hit that iceberg already. A couple of them, in fact.

Now we have to stop and see how bad the damage is, and if we can find a way to get this thing running again, or if we need to abandon ship.

Myself, I don't think the damage is as bad as it looks. But we will have to try and avoid hitting any more bergs, as we chart our way though.

kilobytes
09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I had a dream last night the Chiefs beat the Chargers and shocked everyone. Remember a couple years ago the Chiefs won at SD and it was a complete shock to everyone. They were even worse back then.

chief31
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I had a dream last night the Chiefs beat the Chargers and shocked everyone. Remember a couple years ago the Chiefs won at SD and it was a complete shock to everyone. They were even worse back then.

2007.... http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2007093011/2007/REG4/chiefs@chargers#tab=recap (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2007093011/2007/REG4/chiefs@chargers#tab=recap)

And almost in 2008.... http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008110910/2008/REG10/chiefs@chargers#tab=analyze (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008110910/2008/REG10/chiefs@chargers#tab=analyze)

A failed two-point conversion was the difference in that one.

It is far from out of the question.

I think that the big factor may be how The Chiefs are handling the results of the first two games.

If they are determined, and focused, then they stand a chance.

But, if they are "in shock", then they are likely to see more of the same.

I can't pick The Chiefs to win, regardless of what I hope for.

chief31
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
If we can win in SD this weekend, And that's a IF And The Jets can win in Oakland, Broncos play at Tennessee, so....

If The Chiefs win, they could, very well, be in first place, come Monday.

chiefnut
09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
the problem is that we have too many problems, the QB play is not up to par, the O line not opening running lanes or pass protecting, D line not putting pressure on QB, poor tackling, secondary getting beat badly, even the special teams not playing well, play calling ugly. this is just scarey that this team can have more holes than a block of swiss cheese.

OPLookn
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
If we go through another beat down like the last two weeks... Well in that case with our "hard part" of the schedule coming up in weeks 11-15 I believe we could be in for a long season. If it's a bad loss I think any changes anywhere for the rest of the season will be like shuffling the deck seats on the titanic. Yeah you made it look pretty but the ship is still sinking.

With the losses we've had this year (JC, TM and EB) the change in schedule from easy to whiskey tango foxtrot?!? hard it could and probably will be a long season. Regardless of how hard it is to watch and be a fan every Sunday I'll be there rooting for the Chiefs. No game is over til the game clock reads zero's. I just hope the players remember this too and bring their heart. I have not problem screaming my head off and being a fan if the players play their hearts out and it shows.

TopekaRoy
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I think the Chiefs have a shot to win if they can hang on to the ball and not give up the big plays on defense. With Jones, McCluster and McClain they can still run the ball effectively. Throw a few passes to Bowe, Breaston and Pope to mix it up. They need to stay out of 3rd and long situations, convert on 3rd down and win the time of possession. Keep Rivers off of the field as much as possible.

If they play hard and play well for 4 quarters, but stil lose 28 to 17 or so, then that will go a long way toward building momentum and turning the season around. The Vikings and the Colts are beatable and if we can go into the bye week 2-3 (or even steal a win against the Chargers and go 3-2) then we can still salvage the season.

Mainly I just want to see improvement from game to game. If these guys can get better, add our injured stars next year, fill some holes in the draft and FA and have a full preseason, we can be a contender again next year.

azchiefsfan
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Last year, I noticed in the preseason our guys were acting like they could win and believed in themselves. I posted it in August-these guys look like they believe. This preseason and now regular season, they look beat when they march out on the field. I am not sure that intangible can be turned around in a week. We have some talent still at key positions. I just don't know if the will and heart is still there to make it happen. Something has gone wrong in the locker room. You could see it around week 12 last year. That is what troubles me more than the injuries and blowouts. This basically same group of guys have lost that spark that shocked the league last year. I still love Cassel and believe in him, but even he wears the smell of a loser now. This team is in a serious disintegration and I can't put my finger on the source. I now believe this is why Weiss jumped ship-and I savaged the gentleman when he left.

H-townChiefsFan
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Back for the first time in like 2 years haha. Just had to talk about the Chiefs with someone. Out here in Afghan everyone likes the freaking steelers and pats.

So what I see is a terrible first 2 games. (obviously.) But the season is not even close to being over yet. If Dexter can somehow get himself to play like he played in college and come into his own, then the season isn't even close to being over.

In my opinion the season falls onto the shoulders of 2 players. Matt Cassel and Dexter McCluster.
Cassel has a decent array of weapons around him. Breaston is a good player. Not great but good. Once triple B (Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin) gets going i think they could be a very good trio. Cassel needs to make better decisions. That is obvious. He is just trying to hard. He needs to relax, read the coverage and start doing what I think he has the ability to do.
I'm not a huge Cassel fan but I still think he has a chance to save this season.
As stated earlier McCluster needs to make some plays running the ball. Thomas is a good reliable player but not as reliable as he used to and he has definitely slowed down. Ease McCluster into the running game next game, then get him more touches game 4. Don't forget he is a guy that can make catches out of the backfield. Throw some screens into the mix. Hopefully he can make it to where we can manage to miss Charles for the season and then next season him and Charles together can tear it up.

Todd Haley. Touchy subject, but I still like him. I think he needs to work with Muir and balance out the gameplan more. They have been passing way too much. Obviously we are no longer a run first team with Jamal out but with LeRon, Thomas, and Dexter you still have a better backfield than other teams in the league.

The Defense is struggling. Losing Berry was a HUGE hit. Like Charles there is no true replacement for him. McGraw needs to step up. He has been with this team for a long time and now is his chance to prove he has deserved to be on this team for so long. Flowers, Hali, and Johnson need to step up and be leaders and help this defense to get playing at a higher level that we now they can.

Thats my opinion. If you think i'm crazy then call me crazy. What do ya think?

Good points, agree on the D assessment. I dont thin McCluster is a key component though. He is more of a complimentary player and should see no more than 10 touches in a game. If I were Pioli, I would start shopping Cassel and force Haley to hire an experienced OC. I am willing to give Cassel till the end of this year to prove he can be a well above average QB, but if we could get a 2nd rounder for him, Id like to see that deal made.

OPLookn
09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Good points, agree on the D assessment. I dont thin McCluster is a key component though. He is more of a complimentary player and should see no more than 10 touches in a game. If I were Pioli, I would start shopping Cassel and force Haley to hire an experienced OC. I am willing to give Cassel till the end of this year to prove he can be a well above average QB, but if we could get a 2nd rounder for him, Id like to see that deal made.

I completely agree with this because he'd refuse to be a back up now that he's been a start. Haley has proved that he needs a strong minded OC that will say the heck with you Todd we're running this play.

Not only that but if you could get a 2nd rounder for Cassel you just got yourself a QB and Vrabel for "free" in terms of draft picks which would be excellent. Regardless of if you like Cassel see him as the QBotF if we get a 2nd for him we broke even which is all I'd want at a minimum.