PDA

View Full Version : Battle should start over Jones

kilobytes
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice to get a win today, but Jones is just too old to do anything with this o line. Battle looked good today with the few carries he got. Battle can actually get yardage unlike Jones who just falls down at the line. I believe Battle is a much better fit with this sub par O line. It is obvious why he should be playing instead of Jones. I don't see Haley doing this though. Your thoughts.

jmlamerson
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Battle isn't a guy you can give the ball 15+ times a game. He'd break down, and quick. Jones needs to be replaced, but by a FA, not by McCluster or Battle.

Hayvern
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice to get a win today, but Jones is just too old to do anything with this o line. Battle looked good today with the few carries he got. Battle can actually get yardage unlike Jones who just falls down at the line. I believe Battle is a much better fit with this sub par O line. It is obvious why he should be playing instead of Jones. I don't see Haley doing this though. Your thoughts.

You are out of your mind, I have watched Battle on this team for a couple of years and have never seen anything to make me think this guy is anything more than a backup.

kilobytes
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
You are out of your mind, I have watched Battle on this team for a couple of years and have never seen anything to make me think this guy is anything more than a backup.
I never said he be the number 1 back. He should play over Jones.

jmlamerson
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I never said he be the number 1 back. He should play over Jones.

Jones is our number 1 back right now. If Battle is playing over him . . .

kilobytes
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Jones is our number 1 back right now. If Battle is playing over him . . .

I don't think there should be a number 1 unless we bring in someone else who can be. Right now I don't see a number 1 back on this team.

chief31
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I liked that they gave Battle some carries, that would normally have gone to Jones.

And Jones' average hasn't been good.

But I am ok with a RB-by-committee approach.

tornadospotter
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
This RB has been on the team for a while, never really played much, many said he should be cut, but still he is on the Team, and played well today. I think JB is a Chief! and he played like one today!

kilobytes
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
This RB has been on the team for a while, never really played much, many said he should be cut, but still he is on the Team, and played well today. I think JB is a Chief! and he played like one today!

The guy battles for every yard!

tornadospotter
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
The guy battles for every yard!
He also proudly carries his Battles on his back! On a Red or White Chiefs Jersey. :punk:

Vandelay
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I have been very unimpressed with Jones.
Give Battle a shot. When they needed one first down to end the game, Battle picked it up.:toast2:

jmlamerson
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I have been very unimpressed with Jones.
Give Battle a shot. When they needed one first down to end the game, Battle picked it up.:toast2:

If you run Battle too much, he'll break down, and quickly. You're better off using him to pass block and get five or so touches a game for the hard yards. Don't break him by trying to turn him into a primary runner. He's a glorified FB, not a RB.

figcrostic
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
He also proudly carries his Battles on his back! On a Red or White Chiefs Jersey. :punk:

He has many battle scars from the battles he's waged on special teams.

Vandelay
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM
All I know is Jones aint cuttin it.

jmlamerson
10-02-2011, 11:06 PM
All I know is Jones aint cuttin it.

Agreed, but more Battle isn't the answer either. They need to get a FA RB.

Vandelay
10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
They need to get a FA RB.
Yep.

kilobytes
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
And today just proved why. Amazing performance by Battle. Over 100 yards at 6.3 YPC. Jones actually looked good as well. Limit Jones' carries and give Battle most the load. Don't overwork either.

chief31
10-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I think the big key right now, is that opposing defenses know that we are coming into each game determined to establish the running game early, and, only once the passing game is opened up, are they having to play honest.

Hopefully, our staff will come out of the BYE with a better gameplan to start games.

We really have been struggling to start out games.

tornadospotter
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the big key right now, is that opposing defenses know that we are coming into each game determined to establish the running game early, and, only once the passing game is opened up, are they having to play honest.

Hopefully, our staff will come out of the BYE with a better gameplan to start games.

We really have been struggling to start out games.

We need to start each game like we are already down by 17 points!

matthewschiefs
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

It's amazing that we have had certain plays and certain things in the offense that have worked throughout the season but we wait till we are down to start doing them.

chief31
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Absolutely.

Even the better games we have had, our offense has been just terrible (Collectively) through the first half of games.

I prefer to play well in the second half. But we can't keep being so inept in the first half of games.

kcvet
10-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Battle looked like a run away freight train with the throttle wide open today. 119 yds. got my vote

jason1981
10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
jones is a great in between runner and he gets his yards by pounding it nd breaking tackles which he does and gets yards. i swear if he was just a little faster he could have broken free. hes good for 15 yards run but hes not fast enough to out run defenders for more then 20 yards. i actually like jones and i dont trust battle yet all i remember him before is a fumbling machine. if battle can be consistant than we will have a debate. if jones was in on the plays that battle got the yards jones would have gotten just abouit the same yards. battle did have a great game but its just one game. let him prove it the rest of the season and if he does then next year he will have earned the back up job to be number 2.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Id slightly disagree with starting him over Jones until we can see how durable of a back he can be, I'd love to see him take McClusters running work load however.

Eydugstr
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I'd love to see him take McClusters running work load however.

+1. Why not mix it up some between Jones, Battle and McCluster? Giving an opposing defense three quarters of Battle/Jones, then putting in McCluster late in the third quarter, when they've been battered all day...McCluster's speed + them being worn out from tackling bigger backs could really create some mismatches.

:chiefs:

chiefnut
10-09-2011, 07:56 PM
i don't see durability as an issue, he took alot of hits today and came out fine. he certainly was the most productive, impressive, effective, determined [choose one] back we have used this year. i say give him and mcclain a chance. pound the middle with mcclain then use battle for a change of pace, he is quick and with power...just what we need. i think jones is on the downside of his career.

myselff77
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
If you run Battle too much, he'll break down, and quickly. You're better off using him to pass block and get five or so touches a game for the hard yards. Don't break him by trying to turn him into a primary runner. He's a glorified FB, not a RB.
So if he does break down, what do we really lose? Why not give him a shot until he does? If the team refused to play guys because they would break down, Holmes and Charles would never have got a shot.

Worst case scenario, he breaks down. I'm fine with that considering our options.

Three7s
10-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Guys, there's no reason why Battle can't be durable. He's much bigger than Jones and he's never had injury problems that I know of. The way he ran today, he kind of reminded me of Peyton Hillis.

There's nothing to lose, so I'm perfectly fine with him getting 20+ carries a game. As for starting off slow, an opposing team's blue print should be exactly what the Bills and Lions did to us. Take advantage of the slow start early and never let up.

Ryfo18
10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
I think everyone is best served if Jones/Battle are touching the ball each 10+ times, with McCluster mixed in for a few carries and work on 3rd down. The term "starter" really means little when it comes to Todd Haley's RBs...Thomas Jones was the "starter" last year too.

kcvet
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I think everyone is best served if Jones/Battle are touching the ball each 10+ times, with McCluster mixed in for a few carries and work on 3rd down. The term "starter" really means little when it comes to Todd Haley's RBs...Thomas Jones was the "starter" last year too.

looks like Jones is in for a Battle :lol: I think RB by committee is a great idea here. we need the competition

Vandelay
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Jones just doesn't seem to move the pile, Battle does.
If it's third and one, I want Battle on the field.

kcvet
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Jones just doesn't seem to move the pile, Battle does.
If it's third and one, I want Battle on the field.

well he's a starter now. so we'll see if he's worth his salt.

Jrudi
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
The "Starter" title in the NFL is quite meaningless except the players labeled as "starters" just get a bigger paycheck. Good teams have every single player on the 46 man game day active roster contributing. Jones is the Vet, he deserves the "starter" title weather the carries are split or not.

To be honest, Battle had a good game, props to him glad to see him do good, he probably wouldn't have gotten the touches without mccluster starting out bad (Made us waiste a timeout on the first series because he was lined up out of place, and dropped an easy screen pass the very next play. Haley was fed up with Dexter's start, so Battle got the nod, when he played well, they kept him going.)

I truly think RB is one of the easiest positions to transition to from College. I hear people saying we need to bring in a FA RB to replace Jones next year, but I think we just need to draft a pounder RB in like the 3rd or 4th round. RB's shelvlife in today's NFL is like 3-4 years tops (the great ones last longer, but the average is extremely low) We could get a young, healthy back that could be just as productive if not more productive as jones or battle without already taking a beating like we would if we got a FA RB.

I don't think a FA RB is the answer to succeed Jones.

Ryfo18
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
The "Starter" title in the NFL is quite meaningless except the players labeled as "starters" just get a bigger paycheck. Good teams have every single player on the 46 man game day active roster contributing. Jones is the Vet, he deserves the "starter" title weather the carries are split or not.

To be honest, Battle had a good game, props to him glad to see him do good, he probably wouldn't have gotten the touches without mccluster starting out bad (Made us waiste a timeout on the first series because he was lined up out of place, and dropped an easy screen pass the very next play. Haley was fed up with Dexter's start, so Battle got the nod, when he played well, they kept him going.)

I truly think RB is one of the easiest positions to transition to from College. I hear people saying we need to bring in a FA RB to replace Jones next year, but I think we just need to draft a pounder RB in like the 3rd or 4th round. RB's shelvlife in today's NFL is like 3-4 years tops (the great ones last longer, but the average is extremely low) We could get a young, healthy back that could be just as productive if not more productive as jones or battle without already taking a beating like we would if we got a FA RB.

I don't think a FA RB is the answer to succeed Jones.

Haley actually talked all week about getting Battle more involved though, so I don't think it was too surprising. I think Battle will probably lead the backfield in carries going forward, but Jones will also get his share.

hometeam
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I said that battle could do what jones did 2 years ago. he could then, he can now.

TopekaRoy
10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Jones is a very good number 2 back and he should be there whether it is behind Charles or Battle. Last week he gained 55 yds on 10 carries (5.5 ypc) which was almost as good as Battle's 6.2 ypc. He won't be as effective if he is the primary carrier IMO. Battle should be starting Now, but I don't think he is suited for the number 2 spot when JC returns. He can ease his way into the roll in a year or two when Jones retires or gets released.

kilobytes
10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I think Jones is a very good number 2 back and he should be there whether it is behind Charles or Battle. Last week he gained 55 yds on 10 carries (5.5 ypc) which was almost as good as Battle's 6.2 ypc. He won't be as effective if he is the primary carrier IMO. Battle should be starting Now, but I don't think he is suited for the number 2 spot when JC returns. He can ease his way into the roll in a year or two when Jones retires or gets released.

Jones should retire after this year. There is very little left in the tank. I think Battle should be the number 2 back next year, period. The guy is 28. For a RB, that is the year you start going downhill. Waiting longer is not going to help. He is ready now.

Ryfo18
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Jones should retire after this year. There is very little left in the tank. I think Battle should be the number 2 back next year, period. The guy is 28. For a RB, that is the year you start going downhill. Waiting longer is not going to help. He is ready now.

That's typically true, but keep in mind he's got pretty fresh legs. Look at Fred Jackson, he didn't get the #1 job until he was 28, and he's still dominating at 30.

honda522
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Running back by committee...

Three7s
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I know it's only one game, but Battle kind of reminded me of Peyton Hillis. If he can keep running over defenses, our running game should pick up dramatically.