PDA

View Full Version : Haley Nearly Fired Last Week

Ryfo18
10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
According to Nick Wright, Haley was going to be fired if they would have lost to the Colts.

Seems like a ridiculous overreaction if it's true in my opinion. I don't know what to think of this really, but it certainly diminishes my opinion of Scott Pioli, who would fire his coach 5 games into a season after he went to the playoffs. I dunno, just nonsense to me.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/216414/report-chiefs-nearly-fired-haley-last-week

OPLookn
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
My thought is that with Haley standing by the players that have struggled and told them to keep on keepin on that it's put Pioli in a bad spot. If Haley is loyal and it gets down to it if someone has to go it'll have to be Haley or Pioli. I think it's just getting set up to be Haley if this is true.

Ryfo18
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Like the link in my original post notes too, Nick Wright does have contacts with people on the inside. I remember he was the one to break the Thomas Jones/Jon Baldwin fight.

matthewschiefs
10-13-2011, 04:49 PM
WOW

Don't know if this would have been good for the team. But if they got blown out again like it looked like they were are one point during that game then I don't think anyone could really be that upset about it. 3 blow outs in 5 games any coach could get fired for that. But that didn't happen so we will see how the rest of the season goes.

Chiefster
10-13-2011, 05:32 PM
At this point I'm failing to see the benefit of firing Haley in mid season like this.

kcvet
10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
if we gave up another big blow out to Indy mid season is as good as any time to can him. he could be walking a fine line from here on

kcvet
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
from the NFL:

Kansas City's frantic rally from a 17-point deficit did not just save the Chiefs from an embarrassing loss to the Indianapolis Colts, but it might have saved Chiefs coach Todd Haley's job, too.

Citing multiple team sources, KCSP-AM reported Thursday that general manager Scott Pioli was prepared to fire Haley if the Chiefs lost to the Colts. In other words, Haley owes wideout Dwayne Bowe a nice gift basket when the Chiefs return from their bye week.
Haley led the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and an AFC West crown last season but has been widely criticized for the club's poor start in 2011. Haley's detractors cite his decision to treat the preseason as a de facto conditioning program, which led to tight end Tony Moeaki's season-ending injury, as well as his over-the-top demeanor on the sidelines.

Haley is 16-22 in his two-plus seasons with the Chiefs, and it has been reported that he doesn't have the best relationship with his Pioli.

But the Chiefs have now won two straight, and at least for now, there doesn't seem to be an imminent regime change in K.C.

The Chiefs visit the Oakland Raiders in Week 7.

link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82318409/article/report-pioli-was-prepared-to-fire-haley-if-chiefs-lost?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Chiefster
10-13-2011, 06:03 PM
if we gave up another big blow out to Indy mid season is as good as any time to can him. he could be walking a fine line from here on

Point taken; I have just never been a big fan of mid season HC firings.

kcvet
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Point taken; I have just never been a big fan of mid season HC firings.

its SOP to can em the day after the season ends. but if its true he and Peloi are at odds then it would not surprise me, if things get any worse, Haley is gone. we got 2 W's under our belt so hopefully we're on our way.

I ran thru my seach engine: "Report: Chiefs nearly fired Haley last week" and got a lot of hits.

there's 3 people calling the O plays. this is totally ridiculous

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Chiefs Say Nick Wright's Report On Todd Haley Is '100 Percent False' (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/10/13/2488717/chiefs-todd-haley-fired-scott-pioli)
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/10/58.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Oct 13, 2011 5:07 PM CDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/10/13/2488717/chiefs-todd-haley-fired-scott-pioli)
As many of you have heard by now, 610 Sports' Nick Wright reported on Thursday afternoon that Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs) GM Scott Pioli was prepared to fire head coach Todd Haley if the Chiefs had lost to the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts). Wright cited multiple sources within the Chiefs organization for the story.
The person responsible for making that decision is saying the story is false.
More accurately, "100 percent false."
Chiefs GM Scott Pioli went on the record with me for a couple minutes this afternoon and I asked him if Nick Wright's report that he was prepared to fire Haley last week was accurate. Pioli said it was "100 percent false" and strongly refuted the report.
I asked if there were ever any discussions about firing Haley leading up to the Colts game and, again, he said there was no truth to that.

kcvet
10-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Chiefs Say Nick Wright's Report On Todd Haley Is '100 Percent False' (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/10/13/2488717/chiefs-todd-haley-fired-scott-pioli)
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/10/58.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Oct 13, 2011 5:07 PM CDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/10/13/2488717/chiefs-todd-haley-fired-scott-pioli)
As many of you have heard by now, 610 Sports' Nick Wright reported on Thursday afternoon that Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs) GM Scott Pioli was prepared to fire head coach Todd Haley if the Chiefs had lost to the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts). Wright cited multiple sources within the Chiefs organization for the story.
The person responsible for making that decision is saying the story is false.
More accurately, "100 percent false."
Chiefs GM Scott Pioli went on the record with me for a couple minutes this afternoon and I asked him if Nick Wright's report that he was prepared to fire Haley last week was accurate. Pioli said it was "100 percent false" and strongly refuted the report.
I asked if there were ever any discussions about firing Haley leading up to the Colts game and, again, he said there was no truth to that.

the calm before the storm ????

chief31
10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
According to Nick Wright, Haley was going to be fired if they would have lost to the Colts.

Seems like a ridiculous overreaction if it's true in my opinion. I don't know what to think of this really, but it certainly diminishes my opinion of Scott Pioli, who would fire his coach 5 games into a season after he went to the playoffs. I dunno, just nonsense to me.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/216414/report-chiefs-nearly-fired-haley-last-week

Yeah. I think it would be an extreme over-reaction.

After what he got out of this team last season, not to mention the significant players lost this year, I think it would be completely illogical to fire Haley after five games.

And I would seriously doubt that any GM would see it too much differently.

This is likely an inaccurate report, based on a rumor within the organization.

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2011, 06:49 PM
the calm before the storm ????

I don't believe so. There is no doubt that Haley did a poor job in training camp and preseason getting the team ready for Sept. 11

I honestly believe that Haley has the support of the locker room and the players enjoy working under him. I also believe that Nick Wright does not like Haley and looks for any reason to make him look bad.

The team flat out played the colts due to our conditioning so you cant say Haleys method was a complete bust, the team is improving in spite of what the detractors say. After this year when we get Charles, Berry and Moeaki back we will be that much better.

kcvet
10-13-2011, 07:17 PM
these rumors are giving me heat burn and gas

SAPHOJUNKIE
10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
At this point I'm failing to see the benefit of firing Haley in mid season like this.

Luck.

Chiefster
10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Luck.

:lol:

'Nough said!

Coach
10-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Nick Wright was wrong again. Shocker.

Chiefster
10-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Nick Wright was wrong again. Shocker.

:lol: No way!

matthewschiefs
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah. I think it would be an extreme over-reaction.

After what he got out of this team last season, not to mention the significant players lost this year, I think it would be completely illogical to fire Haley after five games.

And I would seriously doubt that any GM would see it too much differently.

This is likely an inaccurate report, based on a rumor within the organization.

I think that it would all depend on what the score was. If that game turned into anther Buffalo or Detroit I don't think theres any coach who would be shocked to be fired after 3 blow out losses in 5 games. Think that would get many coaches fired.

2010chiefs
10-13-2011, 09:34 PM
It worked out for Dallas last year. Who would take over? Jim Zorn or Romeo Crennel.?Definitley not Muir!

chief31
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I think that it would all depend on what the score was. If that game turned into anther Buffalo or Detroit I don't think theres any coach who would be shocked to be fired after 3 blow out losses in 5 games. Think that would get many coaches fired.

I still think it would be quite unlikely.

But it doesn't matter at this point.

AkChief49
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
So are these rumors the result of an NBA pre-season not happening? Media digging for a story?

OPLookn
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Even IF Pioli was going to fire Haley if he lost why on earth would he say yeah, I had his walking papers ready but dang it, he went and won?? Haley could still be on the hot seat.

Other point....Nick Wright is wrong again, I swear if I took his picks and went the opposite way with betting I could have probably retired by now. I'd agree with who ever said that Wright probably just doesn't like Haley. After all Haley has a hard nosed personality and Wright trying to come after him at various points since he got here (if he didn't like Haley) wouldn't endear Wright to Haley any more.

We've Wrighted the ship and lets see where it takes us. But I will say based on how we were prepared and after two games Haley's job was definitely in question.

ctchiefsfan
10-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Just my not very educated opinion, but some thoughts....

Haley deliberately went kind of "loosey goosey" in training camp and preseason.

The key injuries we have suffered suggest that may have been a bad decision.

But I personally can't lay a huge heap of guilt on Haley for that. How do you prepare for a lockout situation? Its not like there have been several lockouts and head coaches have previous models to follow.

Haley tried a different tack with the lockout than most and it didn't turn out so well with the injuries and the early blowouts.

But IMO that is not a firing offense. Haley is dealing with a young (physically resilient?) team and he decided to gamble. We KNOW he likes to gamble....just look at some of those 4th down calls last year.

I think the training camp regimen and preseason strategy was a calculated gamble. And I think it was worth it with the lockout.

Meantime Haley got more out of the team last year than anyone (including Pioli) had a right to expect and after the first two disasters of the season against Buffalo and Detroit seems to be getting our injury laden team to perform beyond their skills again.

Firing Haley would be the kind of move I would expect from a "WIN IT ALL NOW" GM. If Pioli was fixated on "WIN IT ALL NOW" them why didn't he get more aggressive in free agency?

If Pioli fires Haley now he's a dumbf*ck twinkie.

If we melt down completely for the rest of the season, then maybe and ONLY MAYBE should Pioli consider firing Haley.

We have far too much invested in Pioli/Haley to be considering changing coaches again.

Pioli/Haley is the girl we brought to the dance. Now we have to dance with her.

And anyway....I think we are going to "get lucky"!

azchiefsfan
10-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I think it would have been premature to fire Haley this soon. He does deserve some leeway. I also think the injuries have to be factored into the question. But I also think it is legitimate to be discussing it. As ctchiefsfan stated, the lack of physical and play preparedness is 100% on him. If he can turn this around and get a respectable season, then it would be stupid for him to be fired. But I think he is quite deservedly under a microscope and I hope he feels every ounce of pressure to turn it around.

matthewschiefs
10-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I still think it would be quite unlikely.

But it doesn't matter at this point.

Yeah I don't know how Likely it would have been but I was just saying if we had 3 blow out losses in 5 games it wouldn't be a move that we could argue with to much That would be a fireable offense for any coach in the NFL

#58ChiefsFan
10-14-2011, 05:22 PM
With the ACL injuries I would pin that on Mike Clark more then Haley. I just don't know if I believe there was much they could have done with the exception of Tony.

IMO Moeaki had a history of issues so I don't know how much of that can be faulted to the Chiefs organization. Berry I blame Stevie Johnson still for that stupid block he threw on Eric. I think Charles just had a freak injury.

bbacker51
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
yeah I know, actually I really just wanted some ArrowCash to finish the day with a little blackjack. Please don't judge me for my gambling problem.

matthewschiefs
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
yeah I know, actually I really just wanted some ArrowCash to finish the day with a little blackjack. Please don't judge me for my gambling problem.

:lol: Ok I won't judge I just donated to help you with your problem.

MissingTBone
10-14-2011, 09:31 PM
If you take 3 of the best players out of ANY team during the first 3 weeks of the season that team is going to struggle. We have struggled, and overcome odds to win the last 2. We are resilient, and scrappy with an average team. With the rest of our first place schedule coming up I think firing Haley now would be a big nistake.

Chiefster
10-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I messaged Nick's FB page with this comment: "Ya know Nick it has been said that it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." :D

ctchiefsfan
10-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I messaged Nick's FB page with this comment: "Ya know Nick it has been said that it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." :D

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
10-15-2011, 01:19 AM

Troublemaker :D

Chiefster
10-15-2011, 11:07 PM
WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!

:lol: I do what I can.

Troublemaker :D

Hey, it's what I do. :D

bbacker51
10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
:lol: Ok I won't judge I just donated to help you with your problem.

THANKS!:yahoo:

Yoda
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
If Haley looses big to the Raiders again, you think they fire him after the game. I hope not, he has been the Raiders' whipping boy.

ctchiefsfan
10-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Firing Haley would be just plain stupid.

OPLookn
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Firing Haley would be just plain stupid.

Unfortunately we've done stupid things before so that doesn't really answer the question.

:lol:

To answer it no, I don't think Haley does get fired with a loss, big or small. The only way Haley gets fired is if he goes 2-14 for the year. To take that big of a step backwards, not have the troops ready for the trenches in the beginning of the season and be unable to communicate and work with other coaches because they don't do it "your way" would get him fired. That's not just a you haven't done anything for me lately outlook, it's the inability to do your job and that would get any employee fired.

FuzzNutz
10-17-2011, 05:04 PM
who are the sources that reported this? Reporters have almost zero credibility these days because all they want to do is be the first to report something and they don't care if it's true. We need a bad-*** coach like Haley.

jason1981
10-17-2011, 11:49 PM
i dont regret any of haleys decisions with preseason. we won the colts game cuz we were more conditioned then them. thats why we were able to pound the ball in the 4th quarter. injuries could happen anytime. if the played more in the 3rd game they had the same amount of time to get injured as well. like the other guy said blame johnsons block for berry and charles was a bad fluke and toeaki has injury history and i think we was playing injured already cuz he was helod out most of preseason. maybe you can blame haley for letting him play so early and not lettting him fully recover from whatever it was. but i like tht we spent time conditioning. but wether they played more in the 3rd or 4th game itws doesnt matter they could have gotten hurt just the same. injuries happen no matter when you play the game.
it would have been a waste of the last 2 years if we fired haley. i blame pioli for the tyson pick who is a reach no matter if he becomes a descent player or not. that high we should have got an impact player or traded down. pioli and haley you could say made mistakes or not. but giving up on haley is just crazy and which is why i think it was completely false.

Connie Jo
10-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Scott Pioli and Clark Hunt have made public statements that basically, Nick Wright lied. They said there was never any such plan to fire Coach Haley if the Chiefs lost to the Colts.

Absolutely nothing is believeable the media reports these days...whether it be by a wannabe reporter or a well known reporter from CNN. The media has been reporting irresponsibly for years, twisting truth, adding their own spin & hype, as well as downright lying. It's all about high ratings...the more dramatic the headline the more readers or viewers. Ratings = profit...and that is all the media world tends to care about these days, rather not the truth or confirmed facts.

Until it comes directly from the Chiefs front offices in a public media press conference...I believe nothing reported, nothing.

jwmann2
10-19-2011, 01:06 AM
There is such a big turnover for head coaches in the NFL. Wowzers. Just a few years ago Haley was this offensive genius in Arizona and now he is on the verge of being fired after 5 games in the middle of the season? Come on Pioli, at least wait till it is obvious the Chiefs will not be making the playoffs.

Fastphilly
10-19-2011, 01:49 AM
There is such a big turnover for head coaches in the NFL. Wowzers. Just a few years ago Haley was this offensive genius in Arizona and now he is on the verge of being fired after 5 games in the middle of the season? Come on Pioli, at least wait till it is obvious the Chiefs will not be making the playoffs.
Living in the Bay Area I did'nt hear about this one but
even if we did'nt make the playoffs is no reason to can him just yet. Injuries at three key positions and we have been putting up some offence the last two games (albeit against the two worst teams in the league..lol).

Hayvern
10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Scott Pioli and Clark Hunt have made public statements that basically, Nick Wright lied. They said there was never any such plan to fire Coach Haley if the Chiefs lost to the Colts.

Absolutely nothing is believeable the media reports these days...whether it be by a wannabe reporter or a well known reporter from CNN. The media has been reporting irresponsibly for years, twisting truth, adding their own spin & hype, as well as downright lying. It's all about high ratings...the more dramatic the headline the more readers or viewers. Ratings = profit...and that is all the media world tends to care about these days, rather not the truth or confirmed facts.

Until it comes directly from the Chiefs front offices in a public media press conference...I believe nothing reported, nothing.

Well, the problem is that most of the members of the public know how organizations work. A rumor statement gets made, someone hears it, the coach wins, the GM does not following through, the rumor gets out, the GM and Coach deny it.

This happens a lot, it is called spin. I think we can all hope that the leaders of our favorite team are making the right decisions and are being completely transparent with us. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I have no doubt that there was a discussion about how the season was progressing and that there may have well been some reprocussions placed on the team's potential failure to win. The Indy game is likely one of those games where if the Chief's do not win, we officially take the title as the worse team in the NFL, as Indy is really bad without Manning.

A case can also be made that this team has not been well prepared to play, tempers are flairing, attitudes are growing, and the environment around the team has been questionable this year.

In the end, the team won the game, the hard decision to make a change did not happen at this point, it may very well happen at the end of the season though if the team goes back to a 4-12 schedule.

I don't think Scheffter lied, I think he had actionable information, I belive truly that Haley was on the chopping block. I never trust the spin doctors to tell you the real diagnosis.

TopekaRoy
10-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't believe Pioli ever told Haley he would be fired if he didn't win the Colts game. Here is what I think happened.

Haley, who we all know is a very emotional guy, told his team something to the effect of "I'm not going to lose my job because you guys aren't playing your butts off. If I see anybody not giving 100% there will be heck to pay." (Okay, I cleaned up the language a bit.)

A player probably told someone that "Haley is worried about losing his job," and the rumor just snowballed from there.

It doesn't make since that Pioli would make this threat, right after the Chiefs won their first game.

Whatever happened, the players seem to have rallied behind Haley, so it's all good.

ctchiefsfan
10-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I suspect TopekaRoy's interpretation is probably as close to the truth as we will ever get.

Bike
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't believe Pioli ever told Haley he would be fired if he didn't win the Colts game.

If he didn't - he should have. The chiefs seem to be well on their way to mediocrity. That might be ok with some fans - but not this one.

Whatever happened, the players seem to have rallied behind Haley, so it's all good.

Winning two games against two winless teams isn't exactly rallying behind Haley.

If they can pull off a win vs. Raiders then I will be more inclined to come around to your way of thinking.

TopekaRoy
10-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Winning two games against two winless teams isn't exactly rallying behind Haley.

So after losing the first 3 games It's not a step in the right direction? Should they have lost those 2 games instead?

It's not their fault they were scheduled to play 2 crappy teams in a row. They did the only thing they could. They won.

Regardless of who they played it's clear to anyone watching that they have played significant;y better starting with the 2nd half of the Chargers game. let's see how they do in the next 2 games before we pass judgment. I'm hopeful they can keep this momentum rolling and at least be competitive.

The Chiefs are about to be tested. Let's see if they pass.

chief31
10-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, the problem is that most of the members of the public know how organizations work. A rumor statement gets made, someone hears it, the coach wins, the GM does not following through, the rumor gets out, the GM and Coach deny it.

This happens a lot, it is called spin. I think we can all hope that the leaders of our favorite team are making the right decisions and are being completely transparent with us. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I have no doubt that there was a discussion about how the season was progressing and that there may have well been some reprocussions placed on the team's potential failure to win. The Indy game is likely one of those games where if the Chief's do not win, we officially take the title as the worse team in the NFL, as Indy is really bad without Manning.

A case can also be made that this team has not been well prepared to play, tempers are flairing, attitudes are growing, and the environment around the team has been questionable this year.

In the end, the team won the game, the hard decision to make a change did not happen at this point, it may very well happen at the end of the season though if the team goes back to a 4-12 schedule.

I don't think Scheffter lied, I think he had actionable information, I belive truly that Haley was on the chopping block. I never trust the spin doctors to tell you the real diagnosis.

The whole general public also knows how the press works.

Someone wants to be the guy to break "the big news", and they here from somebody within the organization, that there was a rumor....

So they report that rumor.

But the vast majority of rumors are incorrect in some way, or another.

Should a couple of office employees be overheard talking, and voice an opinion that Haley could be on the hotseat, then hearing just part of that conversation may sound a lot like stated facts.

When those "stated facts" get passed around, they will sound more, and more like the truth.

Bottom line? This is just a rumor. Without some form of further verification, it is as good as my son saying it, because we do not know where it came from.

TopekaRoy
10-22-2011, 06:27 PM
... it is as good as my son saying it, because we do not know where it came from.
I don't know your son, but I would probably trust him more than I do most reporters!

ctchiefsfan
10-22-2011, 11:24 PM
It's not their fault they were scheduled to play 2 crappy teams in a row. They did the only thing they could. They won.

Worth noting here that the two games we won were both against team many of us thought (before the season started) were likely to fall into the loss column.

Regardless of who they played it's clear to anyone watching that they have played significant;y better starting with the 2nd half of the Chargers game. let's see how they do in the next 2 games before we pass judgment. I'm hopeful they can keep this momentum rolling and at least be competitive.

Call me what you will, but I think our miserable performance in the first two games had to do with the way Haley chose to deal with the strike/lockout. It seemed to me he took a gamble (we know he likes to gamble) and took training camp and preseason pretty easy. It seems like we just weren't ready for the first two games. Sure, that's Haley's fault, but I can't get too mad at him about it. It seemed to me like he was trying to avoid injuries by not pushing to hard too fast. And I think that was a decent strategy, at least in theory. Even if it didn't pan out well.

We've had 2 1/2 miserable games and 2 1/2 pretty decent ones. At this point I don't think there is any reason to be overly angry at Haley.

It's Raiders week. They have caught a couple of breaks (with all our injuries) and we have caught a couple of breaks (with their injuries). Winning this game is CRITICAL if we are to have any hopes of staying in the playoff hunt. But even so, a loss tomorrow would not have me calling for Haley's head on a pike. Between the strike/lockout and the injuries I think last year's performance earns Haley a "pass" for anything short of a complete meltdown this year.

josh1971
10-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Ahem... A+

ctchiefsfan
10-23-2011, 08:48 PM
dead Raiders!!!!! Shutout!!!!!

28-0 Baby!!!! 28-0 Baby!!!!!

Shutout Baby......shutout!!!!