PDA

View Full Version : Bears Release Veteran SS Chris Harris..Chiefs Pickup?

Jrudi
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Just heard that the Bears released their starting Strong Safety Chris Harris.

With Berry out, I know we have been playing well, but what are the thoughts of picking him up for depth (could even start over McGraw later on in the year, and add SS depth for after this year, when Berry returns)...

I don't really know the guys personality, but I looked at his stats and they are solid.

He has 82 starts in 88 games. In 6 Seasons averaged 80 Tackles a season (High 96, Low 54) Has 15 ints, and 12 Forced Fumbles as well.

From what I understand, Chicago wanted to get younger at the Position (Drafted Major Wright last year in round 3, and Chris Conte, in the 3rd round this year, so he was expendable) He started the season as a starter, injured his hamstring, came back and got benched for a game supposedly because he wasn't fully healed, he then started for them last week, and was requesting a trade before the deadline, but they ended up just releasing him because they couldn't get a deal done.

what are your thoughts??

H-townChiefsFan
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
From a Yahoo article:

"Harris started in the Bears’ 24-18 victory over Tampa Bay in London on Sunday with Major Wright(notes) nursing a hip injury. He had been benched for the Bears’ win over Minnesota the previous week.
That led to him requesting to be dealt, something that did not happen before the trade deadline. Harris had missed three games with a hamstring injury and struggled in a Monday night loss to Detroit before that Vikings game.
Harris was in his second stint with the Bears after being traded back from Carolina last year."

IDK, sounds like kind of a punk move to request a trade when you've been hurt and struggling all year...

#58ChiefsFan
10-27-2011, 02:19 PM
He'd be better than Piscatelli....

I'd still like to see them activate Langford on game day before we went looking. IMO he can help this team.

TopekaRoy
10-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I posted this earlier today at ChiCitySports.com:

It's sad how this came about, but I can understand why the Bears did it. Chris came back too soon from an injury and played poorly. When he was benched because of his bad play he *****ed about it and asked to be traded. He gat a second chance against the Bucs and played poorly again. When you get a 2nd chance like that you have to prove you belong on the field and he didn't.

I think if they just sat him until after the bye week he would've been fine but he didn't want that. He wanted out and the Bears gave him what he wanted. It's a good sign for the Bears that they didn't feel like they had to keep him. That says a lot for the improvement of Conte and Wright.

I just hope they don't regret it later in the season. He actually took a pay cut to come back to the Bears. He was their best safety before the hamstring injury and I think he still has 2 or 3 good years left. If he recovers completely from his hamstring injury (and we can get him cheap) I think he would be a very good pickup. He would probably be our second best safety behind Berry.

TopekaRoy
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
IDK, sounds like kind of a punk move to request a trade when you've been hurt and struggling all year...

He's actually been pretty cool about it. It's more accurate to say he recognizes how well Conte and Wright have been playing and with the signing of Merriweather for depth, he knows he's not a part of the Bears future. They just can't afford to keep him.

After requesting the trade he said (paraphrasing) "I know a trade is highly unlikely at this late date and if I'm still here I will work very hard to get back on the field. I have some great teammates and I will give 100% for them and we'll see what happens at the end of the season."

He tweeted this about his release.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129552333976768512 (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129552333976768512)ChrisHarrisNFL (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisHarrisNFL) Chris Harris

I was just released this morning by the Bears. Thank u for the opp to play football n do what I luv. I'm looking toward my next venture

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129551839728386048 (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129551839728386048)ChrisHarrisNFL (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisHarrisNFL) Chris Harris

This Business known as the #NFL (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NFL) is a strange one. Chicago I want to thank u for all the luv u have shown me over the yrs. u will b missedHe has nothing bad to say about the Bears and no ill will toward the organization.

Chiefs fanatic
10-27-2011, 05:33 PM
He sounds he'd be a good pick-up.

chief31
10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I'd be happy to see him brought in.

2010chiefs
10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
How many times have we talked about Chiefs adding a free agents and never happens. SOUNDS GOOD THOUGH!

ctchiefsfan
10-28-2011, 01:28 AM
If the price was right he sounds like he would be a decent pickup. Doesn't sound like he has any attitude problems.

KristofLaw
10-28-2011, 01:59 AM
In my opinion, price doesn't matter. It is a position of need somewhat and at the least he'll provide depth. Regarding his personality, I haven't heard a bad word in fact he was one to speak out in defence of Jay Cutler (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/chris-harris-criticism-of-jay-cutler-is-absurd/1) in the beginning of this year. If any problems are there I'm sure the Coach would see to it.

Sounds like someone we should try to acquire providing it doesn't cause distraction or discord within the locker room.

deadmeat
10-28-2011, 03:40 AM
:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046:
Just heard that the Bears released their starting Strong Safety Chris Harris.

With Berry out, I know we have been playing well, but what are the thoughts of picking him up for depth (could even start over McGraw later on in the year, and add SS depth for after this year, when Berry returns)...

I don't really know the guys personality, but I looked at his stats and they are solid.

He has 82 starts in 88 games. In 6 Seasons averaged 80 Tackles a season (High 96, Low 54) Has 15 ints, and 12 Forced Fumbles as well.

From what I understand, Chicago wanted to get younger at the Position (Drafted Major Wright last year in round 3, and Chris Conte, in the 3rd round this year, so he was expendable) He started the season as a starter, injured his hamstring, came back and got benched for a game supposedly because he wasn't fully healed, he then started for them last week, and was requesting a trade before the deadline, but they ended up just releasing him because they couldn't get a deal done.

what are your thoughts??

Coach
10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
There has got be something to this story that we don't know.

kcvet
10-28-2011, 02:09 PM
no doubt Pioli is on the horn

C Louie
10-28-2011, 02:33 PM
no doubt Pioli is on the horn
Lets hope so. This guy seems like he would fit in well, not to mention the fact that a little depth back there wouldn't hurt! Unless he is looking for some ridiculous contract, money shoudln't be an issue if this guy can still play.:chiefs:

kcvet
10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Lets hope so. This guy seems like he would fit in well, not to mention the fact that a little depth back there wouldn't hurt! Unless he is looking for some ridiculous contract, money shoudln't be an issue if this guy can still play.:chiefs:

just because he played well for another team does not mean he can play here. and Pioli knows it. but here's hoping he's the right fit

kcvet
10-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Lions got him

source (http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7161494/source-detroit-lions-claim-ex-chicago-bear-chris-harris)

TopekaRoy
10-28-2011, 06:16 PM
There has got be something to this story that we don't know.There is, unless you already know that Jerry Angelo is a horrible GM who frequently makes bad personnel moves. Remember this is the team that had him and traded him away and then traded back for him.

It's possible that his injury is worse than has been revealed and the Bears don't think he has anything left, but I think they are just overvaluing Conte and Major Wright, who are both decent but have yet to play up to the level of Harris in his prime.

Lions got him

source (http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7161494/source-detroit-lions-claim-ex-chicago-bear-chris-harris)
The Lions just got better. This could be very bad news for the Bears. I was hoping the Chiefs woiuld get him but thought the Patriots might pick him up.

Oh, well. At least we know we can count on having Berry back next year. It would have been nice to get a little extra help this year, though.

jap1
10-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Although it is a moot point now, but I read somewhere that what it came down to was the Bears thought he was not very good on special teams and if he wasnt going to start he was going to be a waste of a roster spot.

Knowing our front office, they probably wouldnt want someone who was not good on special teams.

TopekaRoy
10-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Although it is a moot point now, but I read somewhere that what it came down to was the Bears thought he was not very good on special teams and if he wasnt going to start he was going to be a waste of a roster spot.

Knowing our front office, they probably wouldnt want someone who was not good on special teams.
You are correct. The Bears just signed Merriweather so he is locked in as the first backup. Harris would be 4th on the depth chart and you don't stay on the Bears (who consistently rank among the best special teams in the NFL) unless you are a good special teams player if you are a back up.

According the ChicagoBears.com (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ChalkTalkStory.asp?story_id=8299):

...the Bears are confident in Brandon Meriweather as the third safety, and feel that Craig Steltz and Anthony Walters will contribute more on special teams than Harris would have had he been relegated to backup duty.

That is a big part of the reason he was released.

chief31
10-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I doubt The Chiefs would have been too high on his list of potential suitors anyway.

In all likelihood, he would probably rather go where he has a better chance of being the long-term starter.

With Berry here, I have to imagine that we would be a team less likely to fit that bill.

But, since The Lions pounced, my whole point is just an exercise.:D

TopekaRoy
10-28-2011, 10:09 PM
I doubt The Chiefs would have been too high on his list of potential suitors anyway.

In all likelihood, he would probably rather go where he has a better chance of being the long-term starter.

With Berry here, I have to imagine that we would be a team less likely to fit that bill.

But, since The Lions pounced, my whole point is just an exercise.:D
Actually, if he came here he waould definitely be starting this year, assuming his knee is fully healed. He would probably be starting next year along side Berry as well, so his lack of special teams ability wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue here as it is in Chicago. The Chiefs have plenty of cap room to sign him, too. But it doesn't matter anymore.

josh1971
10-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Actually, if he came here he waould definitely be starting this year, assuming his knee is fully healed. He would probably be starting next year along side Berry as well, so his lack of special teams ability wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue here as it is in Chicago. The Chiefs have plenty of cap room to sign him, too. But it doesn't matter anymore.

No, I'm pretty sure Kendrick Lewis will continue to start alongside Berry.

TopekaRoy
10-30-2011, 02:27 AM
No, I'm pretty sure Kendrick Lewis will continue to start alongside Berry.
Well, yeah, I'm sure he will NOW, but if Harris can return to the level he played at last year he might have been able to take away Lewis's spot. It would have been very competitive, at least.

deadmeat
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
The thing is you have a core of ss officiers that are playing a really good game youth and all.It would be great for berry to jump back but to possibly undermine the other guys work by briing in a proven pro could mess things up,so let the boys play.If you do bring in harris then make sure you don't defile the integrety of the other players.Are boys are fine.GO CHIEFS