PDA

View Full Version : The future

chief31
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
If this team continues to grow and improve, despite the win/loss record, I am extremely hopeful for the coming seasons.

I can't stop thinking of how much we will gain during the 2012 offseason.

Along with another new draft class, a year under the belt of our current rookie crop, and another free agent period, we are going to gain a top 5 pick (Erric Berry), a player who is well worth a no.1 overall pick (Charles), and a TE who well exceeded his third round draft position.

With the emergence of Jackie Battle, partnering him with Charles could become one of the deadliest "thunder and lightning" combos that any team has seen in a long time.

Add the receiving threat of Moeaki to Bowe, Breaston, and a rising Johnathan Baldwin, and the passing weapons will be quite formidable.

And getting Berry back, with the way this defense has been performing, I can see this team challenging the elite teams of the league, on a regular basis.

Add a new draft class, and the sky's the limit.

But let's not forget that this team is in a great position to challenge for the post-season before we even get those players back.

At this point, it would take a complete meltdown, for the rest of the season, to dampen the outlook for the future.

Feeling pretty good about this team right now.

Chiefster
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Here's to the future. :bananen_smilies046:

loyalchief91
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Great post! The future looks bright!

matthewschiefs
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
The scary thing is this team has turned it around without one of the top players on offense and defense. Can't wait to see what this team looks like going forward.

Ryfo18
11-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Very solid post. This team has indeed built a solid foundation upon which they can just improve through good draft classes in future years.

Add the receiving threat of Moeaki to Bowe, Breaston, and a rising Johnathan Baldwin, and the passing weapons will be quite formidable.

How high of a priority do you think resigning Bowe will be? This team is still pretty well under the cap, and I could see a 4-5 year deal to keep him a Chief until 32-33. The bigger issue is that he's likely to command a lot of money on the open market, perhaps even more than the organization would want to pay a veteran WR.

Don't get me wrong, I think he "probably" deserves a big contract. But I'm also very skeptical when it comes to big contracts to wide receivers, as it just seems like most never live up to it. I could definitely see the organization thinking they are set with Baldwin/Breaston (though it's way too early to tell if that's true) that they could part ways.

It's hard to imagine Bowe in another uniform, but the more I think about it, I think it could be an unfortunate reality.

matthewschiefs
11-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Very solid post. This team has indeed built a solid foundation upon which they can just improve through good draft classes in future years.

How high of a priority do you think resigning Bowe will be? This team is still pretty well under the cap, and I could see a 4-5 year deal to keep him a Chief until 32-33. The bigger issue is that he's likely to command a lot of money on the open market, perhaps even more than the organization would want to pay a veteran WR.

Don't get me wrong, I think he "probably" deserves a big contract. But I'm also very skeptical when it comes to big contracts to wide receivers, as it just seems like most never live up to it. I could definitely see the organization thinking they are set with Baldwin/Breaston (though it's way too early to tell if that's true) that they could part ways.

It's hard to imagine Bowe in another uniform, but the more I think about it, I think it could be an unfortunate reality.

They better make resigning Bowe mission number 1. I don't think it will be to much of an issue. Charles,Hali both have signed deals with not much of a issue. Pioli seems to be good at keep talent

JPPT1974
11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
As they have young talent. And also a franchise QB. As hopefully they will get to the playoffs again. Take it one game at a time.

okikcfan
11-02-2011, 10:34 AM
My daughter really loves "little Turbo" aka Dexter and man did he shine in overtime! Way to go turbo!

Bike
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
When we drafted Moeaki, he had a reputation of missing games due to injury. And it seems to have followed him here. I like him when he's on the field and healthy. He can be a great attribute to our team - when he's on the field.

josh1971
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
The main thing for the immediate future that I see as important is that we not take the Dolphins or Broncos for granted. Only one team has ever gone 0-16, and that said- every crappy team that gets one or two wins gets them somewhere.

I don't want them getting their one of their few wins in KC.

JB

#58ChiefsFan
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Hopefully now that the foundation has been laid we can finally address the lines. They have been adequate but it appears we are more than adequate at the "skill" positions.

kcvet
11-03-2011, 08:02 PM
im still waiting on a play off W

kcnation
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
As they have young talent. And also a franchise QB. As hopefully they will get to the playoffs again. Take it one game at a time.

we don't exactly have a franchise QB,i believe we will need to look for a solid QB very soon.CASSEL is decent but not the mega star you need to run your team to the elite level.

Jrudi
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
The future is exciting!

You got me excited, so I started looking at Draft prospect for next year, and unlike previous seasons I had a hard time finding a glaring need in our roster.

We need depth at a few positions. NT could be a position we might target high in the draft, (but we just drafted Powe to hopefully step in shortly)

It was kinda nice to not have 6 positions in my head that needed starters filled in haha.

Coach
11-04-2011, 11:11 PM
The future is exciting!

You got me excited, so I started looking at Draft prospect for next year, and unlike previous seasons I had a hard time finding a glaring need in our roster.

We need depth at a few positions. NT could be a position we might target high in the draft, (but we just drafted Powe to hopefully step in shortly)

It was kinda nice to not have 6 positions in my head that needed starters filled in haha.

Our pass rush is still struggling. We are dead last in the league with 9 sacks. That is pretty bad considering we have one of the best pass rush LB's in the league and he has all but 3 of those sacks.

Pass Rush and OL are the most glaring team needs right now.

stricken721
11-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I hope you're right.

Go Chiefs!:chiefs:

josh1971
11-05-2011, 01:35 AM

I mentioned that a while back and got bitten- as it was clear to nearly everyone that the key to a run of five super bowl victories was Andrew Luck.

*mind you, not anyone to protect him.

Coach
11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I love threads like this. I like optimism. Pessimism is such a crappy way to live. This team is getting better when nearly everyone left them for dead. They have a ways to go, but they are competing and giving great effort. That is what I require as a fan.

Chiefster
11-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I love threads like this. I like optimism. Pessimism is such a crappy way to live. This team is getting better when nearly everyone left them for dead. They have a ways to go, but they are competing and giving great effort. That is what I require as a fan.

Agreed! While I admit that playing teams like the Fins do make me nervous, I am confident in the Chiefs ability to extend their winning streak.

AkChief49
11-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Our pass rush is still struggling. We are dead last in the league with 9 sacks. That is pretty bad considering we have one of the best pass rush LB's in the league and he has all but 3 of those sacks.

1) Tomba is getting mugged almost every play, but he still keeps coming. I know they certainly could have called McNiel on a few more this last Monday night.

2) 100% agree

hardcorechiefsfan
11-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I can't say anything positive except that the chiefs look good in their home reds.

azchiefsfan
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
The future? It's looking like "new boss like the old boss". We done got fooled again.

hardcorechiefsfan
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't blame Haley because the team decides to suck.

Jrudi
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Agreed. Although I think that our outside pass rush should improve next year (Houston has shown flashes, but has yet to make an impact. He just needs time to get comfortable, and he should help pressure from the opposing side, we can look at Hali, Just last season was the 1st season he was talked about among the best in the league, with time Houston should help in this area)

BUT... We do need middle pressure from the NT. Gregg just kinda looks like an un-coordinated weable wobble. I know we have spent plenty of high picks on D-lineman in recent years, but we need a Stud NT to pressure the pocket.

So Next year, I'm thinkin like you and we look to O-line and D-line.

Read a little bit about Alameda Ta'amu, DT Washington, BIG dude 6-3 337, but could improve pass rush (is graded as a mid 1st round pick as of now) (Just looking ahead haha)

OPLookn
11-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Agreed. Although I think that our outside pass rush should improve next year (Houston has shown flashes, but has yet to make an impact. He just needs time to get comfortable, and he should help pressure from the opposing side, we can look at Hali, Just last season was the 1st season he was talked about among the best in the league, with time Houston should help in this area)

BUT... We do need middle pressure from the NT. Gregg just kinda looks like an un-coordinated weable wobble. I know we have spent plenty of high picks on D-lineman in recent years, but we need a Stud NT to pressure the pocket.

So Next year, I'm thinkin like you and we look to O-line and D-line.

Read a little bit about Alameda Ta'amu, DT Washington, BIG dude 6-3 337, but could improve pass rush (is graded as a mid 1st round pick as of now) (Just looking ahead haha)

I saw the same pick in a mock draft last night. I'm just starting to wonder if we're a NT away from having the D-line we need? Granted Gregg is older but there hasn't been the push we need to get to the QB. Not only that but what the heck is going on with our LB's?

I could flat out tell you Sunday if it wasn't the front 3 coming that Hali was the LB coming every single time. Just block accordingly and you see what happens. Granted I couldn't stomach any more of the beat down when Bush runs untouched for a 28 yd TD.

Hayvern
11-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I mentioned that a while back and got bitten- as it was clear to nearly everyone that the key to a run of five super bowl victories was Andrew Luck.

*mind you, not anyone to protect him.

Not everyone, I am convinced that Luck would be ruined inside of two seasons and be worthless if we put him in behind thie offensive line.

And I am getting on the defensive line bandwagon now too. We are pathetic in the trenches.

OPLookn
11-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Not everyone, I am convinced that Luck would be ruined inside of two seasons and be worthless if we put him in behind thie offensive line.

And I am getting on the defensive line bandwagon now too. We are pathetic in the trenches.

Here's my question, do we keep Dorsey and Jackson? Trade them away for picks? Try to trade Dorsey and Jackson for true 3-4 guys (although Jackson is "suppose" to be a true 3-4 DE)? Keep them and draft new picks?

Those are the questions that are floating around in my head. We need a few backups for the DL and Dorsey should be coming up on a contract here pretty darn quick.

Jrudi
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Here's my question, do we keep Dorsey and Jackson? Trade them away for picks? Try to trade Dorsey and Jackson for true 3-4 guys (although Jackson is "suppose" to be a true 3-4 DE)? Keep them and draft new picks?

Those are the questions that are floating around in my head. We need a few backups for the DL and Dorsey should be coming up on a contract here pretty darn quick.

To be honest.... I am usually a defender of Jackson, demanding that we give him more time. But just because of this question If I had to pick between the 2 I would pick Dorsey. He has shown up a bit more in the last two seasons, is he a pro-bowler like he was touted to be out of college? no, but he is certainly better than a lot of other talent that we could have at that position.

I really think that Dorsey should stay (We shouldn't have to give him a big contract to stay) and Jackson should get one more year (even if we draft a successor, allow them to compete, and whoever wins the spot wins the spot, He could certainly rotate at the position, and isn't that bad of a run player, we just need a pass rusher on the D-line)

All in all we still need to remember that essentially D-lineman in a 3-4 Defensive rarely rack up the stats that make them look like superstars (The Sole Reason that Haynesworth didn't want to play in the Redskins 3-4 Defense). 3-4 Defenses focus on the LB's making plays (Such as the steelers LB Coprs). and the D-lineman occupying space

Let's take a look at this:
Casey Hampton's average tackle/sack total in 11 seasons with Steelers: 29 tackles; 0.81 sacks

Brett Keisels average tackle/sack total in 10 seasons with Steelers: 31 tackles; 2.27 sacks

Ziggy Hood's average tackle/sack total in 3 seasons with Steelers: 13.6 tackles; 1.5 sacks

Glen Dorsey's average tackle/sack total in 4 seasons with Chiefs: 49.5 tackles; 1 sacks

Tyson Jackson's average tackle/sack total in 3 seasons with Chiefs: 30 tackles; .033 sacks

So If you look at the totals of what is considered a very good defensive front in the NFL vs our totals, they are quite similar, with Dorsey averaging 20+ tackles higher than any of the Steelers D-line, and is actually leading this entire group as of now with 29 total tackles this season.

we can't expect Dorsey and Jackson to record sack totals like that of Dwight Freeney or even Jarred Allen; When you compare apples to apples or stats to other 3-4 D-Lines the numbers are similar.

josh1971
11-08-2011, 10:50 PM
My wonder is whether Dorsey and Jackson would be better for us if we would switch to a 4-3 (A linebacker corps of Hali-DJ-Houston). With Jackson as a 4-3 DE and Dorsey as a DT, do you think we'd get better production from them?

I'm on whatever bandwagon gets us better in the trenches. We need OL and DL to improve our team. I would like to be seeing more of Powe on the field, too.

Ryfo18
11-08-2011, 11:10 PM
My wonder is whether Dorsey and Jackson would be better for us if we would switch to a 4-3 (A linebacker corps of Hali-DJ-Houston). With Jackson as a 4-3 DE and Dorsey as a DT, do you think we'd get better production from them?

I'm on whatever bandwagon gets us better in the trenches. We need OL and DL to improve our team. I would like to be seeing more of Powe on the field, too.

Hali would definitely line up as a 4-3 DE, and I think Jackson and Dorsey would be better served as DTs. I don't like it though. This 3-4 D has shown potential. We just need some more situational 3-4DE's that can get to the passer. Gilberry has been able to do this in the past, but I haven't seen it from him this year. Either way, we have to have someone other than Hali that can bring pressure.

josh1971
11-09-2011, 03:26 AM
Hali would definitely line up as a 4-3 DE, and I think Jackson and Dorsey would be better served as DTs. I don't like it though. This 3-4 D has shown potential. We just need some more situational 3-4DE's that can get to the passer. Gilberry has been able to do this in the past, but I haven't seen it from him this year. Either way, we have to have someone other than Hali that can bring pressure.

I think Houston was drafted to get to the passer as well. I thought Sheffield was good at that as well.

But though I'd like to see us beef up our lines in the draft, Aren't Dorsey and Jackson both first rounders?

JB

jap1
11-09-2011, 04:41 AM

I was actually thinking about posting this earlier this morning. I was thinking that if we had a DL of Hali, TJ, Dorsey, and Gilberry/Studebaker with Houston, Belcher and DJ as LBs we might be better off personnel wise. But these players would have to relearn a whole new system, and the coaches would have to shift to a system that isnt their forte.

As a coach (I coach Marine Corps football), I personally prefer the 3-4 as it keeps the opposing offense guessing about where the pressure is coming from and you can get a lot of good match-ups. However, I have always used a 4-3 because I have only once had the personnel to run a 3-4.

pojote
11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Gregg doesn't have physical skills, but has every bit of technique that's needed for a NT. He is mentoring Powe who, I expect, will be a beast. And also, helping our pour DL. Have you seen how he has helped in all goal line stands that we had this season?

We need more help from ILB, DJ is not enough. I think if Siler were healthy another story would be told.

Jrudi
11-09-2011, 08:05 AM

I've wondered why we haven't seen him as much either. He needs to get the gameday experience for when Gregg is gone (Probably next year)

josh1971
11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Gregg doesn't have physical skills, but has every bit of technique that's needed for a NT. He is mentoring Powe who, I expect, will be a beast. And also, helping our pour DL. Have you seen how he has helped in all goal line stands that we had this season?

We need more help from ILB, DJ is not enough. I think if Siler were healthy another story would be told.

I was very disappointed that Siler caught the contagious ACL problem we had at the beginning of the season.

I've wondered why we haven't seen him as much either. He needs to get the gameday experience for when Gregg is gone (Probably next year)

Someone informed me Powe has been inactive every game. (?)

AkChief49
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I was very disappointed that Siler caught the contagious ACL problem we had at the beginning of the season.

Someone informed me Powe has been inactive every game. (?)
I believe his injury was an Achilles tendon? definitely caught the injury bug!

josh1971
11-10-2011, 12:58 AM
I believe his injury was an Achilles tendon? definitely caught the injury bug!

I thought it was an ACL, but either way, he hasn't played a down for us, and I think we're missing that.

jb

AkChief49
11-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I thought it was an ACL, but either way, he hasn't played a down for us, and I think we're missing that.

jb
No doubt, along with Moeaki, Berry, and of course Charles. A lot of missing pieces.