PDA

View Full Version : DT son...

hermhater
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Story last updated at 10/3/2007 - 1:14 pm
Bolin, Thomas provide splash in 50 showdown

By Jason Tarwater | jason.tarwater@examiner.net

Tuesday marked a rare sighting for Blue Springs South junior Derrion Thomas.
Thomas, the oldest son of the late Kansas City Chiefs great Derrick Thomas, made sure he was able to participate in a weekday meet for one of the only times this season. And he was part of two of the biggest races of the day against Blue Springs' Zach Bolin.
In the 50-yard freestyle, Bolin edged Thomas, 21.88 to 21.92 in a race where both guys were right with each other the entire way.
"I thought I had him," Thomas said. "My main goal was just to beat him to the first wall. I know his flip turn is way faster than mine. I beat him to the wall, but he came back and got me."
Bolin also said the race was so close that he wasn't sure who won either.
"I touched the wall and waited for a couple seconds before I looked up," he said. "I thought he touched first. That was one of the closest races I've ever been in. It was definitely one of the most fun. He's a fun guy to swim against."
Wildcats coach Robert Sturman joked that it was Bolin's long, lean frame that helped him get the edge over Thomas' more muscular frame.
"It was the long arm of Bolin," Sturman said. "Derrion's a lot more muscular. It was like Hercules vs. the Jolly Green Giant."
Bolin's turns came in helpful again in the 100 freestyle, where he beat Thomas by just more than a second.
Those two races were both season bests for Thomas this season. But he said he's still not happy with where his times are.
"I want to be somewhere in the low 21s or high 20s by the end of the year," he said.
The 100 freestyle was a different event for Thomas, who normally swims the 100 butterfly.
"My 100 fly hasn't been feeling as good as it usually does, so I've backed off of it," he said. "I'm working on it and trying to get it back where it was."
However, because he's also a starter on the junior varsity football team and sees time on special teams for varsity, Thomas said he hasn't had as much time to get into the pool to work on things.
"It's pretty hard," he said. "I'm swimming in the morning and playing football in the afternoon. Sometimes it feels like I'm counting the days until it's over."
Thomas may have a tough decision to make, now that he's qualified for state in both the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle. The preliminary races at state will be Friday, Nov. 9. If Blue Springs South wins its district in football, the first game of the state playoffs is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 9.
But Thomas said that decision has already been made.
"I'm definitely swimming at state," he said.
And that's a relief for South swimming coach Russell Green, who had to go all of last season without his all-state sprinter.
"It's nice (he's back), but it's hard to share," he said. "He misses out on a lot of team stuff. But he can't be at two places at once. So it's a little tough for him and for us."
But Green said as long as Thomas can come in and swim races like he did in the 50 freestyle, he'll be happy.
"That was fun to watch," he said. "That was his best time this year."

http://www.examiner.net/stories/100307/spo_204925340.shtml

sling58
10-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Another DT on the Chiefs D? Maybe?

Chiefster
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Another DT on the Chiefs D? Maybe?

Maybe the US Olympic Swim team.

m0ebr0
10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Which sport will he take? I wouldnt mind to see the name Thomas on a Chiefs jersey again.

Chiefster
10-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Which sport will he take? I wouldnt mind to see the name Thomas on a Chiefs jersey again.

Genetics is on his side.

sling58
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
It would be nice to see his son play but he will never be the force his father was on the field.

m0ef0e
10-06-2007, 02:46 PM
It would be nice to see his son play but he will never be the force his father was on the field.

Who could???

hermhater
10-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Genetics is on his side.

See previously stated genetics comment.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
See previously stated genetics comment.

Great minds and all...:D