PDA

View Full Version : If cassel can't go and palko stinks

marloweopatchiefs
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I hope they try stanzi out in the monday night game. What could we lose by trying him out?

matthewschiefs
11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I myself would rather see Stanzi then palko. It would be better to see just what we have in that draft pick. If we are to afraid to ever play him then what was the point of drafting him? Right now he can't look much worse then the offense does with Cassel.

2010chiefs
11-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Play Stanzi. We draft a QB to mold him into a starter right. We don't draft a QB to mold him into a back up QB and now is his chance to prove himself. It's no different from what Christian Ponder is doing in Minnesota and what Andy Dalton is doing in Cincinnati. What are we waiting for? Haley to make up his mind again!

alexim58
11-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Just hope this cASSel injury turns into what Drew Bledsoe injury was to Tom Brady. I mean .. may be is our lucky time and we found a Gem in Stanzi, may be not. But if we don't take the risk on Stanzi right away we will never know.

lovenflrefs1
11-15-2011, 02:43 AM
I liked watching Stanzi at Iowa. He has talent and if he hadn't of gotten injured against Northwestern, their season would have been completely different. They barely lost that game and I think it would have been totally different against Ohio State if he had played. You're looking at a possible national championship team, with a complete defense and a very good running attack, along with an above average QB that could throw the ball at any time, anywhere on the field.

Too put it simply, put in Stanzi and let him show what he can do.

texaschief
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
My first response to this was NO... emphatically, NO. But I've given the topic some thought and think that they should give Stanzi a couple weeks to prepare for a game with one of the assistant coaches. Sit him down and prepare Stanzi to face the New York Jets. Give him a good 4 weeks of prep and let the guy loose with a full playbook and a full week of practice with the #1s leading up to the game.

See what you have in the rookie. Either way, the Chiefs have probably seen their last victory of the season already. At least getting a glimpse of a prepared Stanzi could give you an idea of which way to go with your top 5 pick. Luck is probably off the board by the time the Chiefs pick, but Barkley could still be there... as could to OT Matt Kalil. Landry Jones will be there as well. All 3 of those QBs have "franchise QB" upside. A wild card could also be Robert Griffin from Baylor.

I would love to see Stanzi be "the guy" because that would free up the first round pick for other position(s). The way I see the rest of the season playing out is like this:

Indianapolis will lose the rest of their games. Their schedule is almost as brutal as the Chiefs. They will have the #1 pick overall. Count on it.

St. Louis has 2 more wins coming. 2 against SEA. 4 wins

Carolina has 3 more wins in them. One against Tampa, IND, and one upset. 5 wins

Minnesota has a tough road ahead. They've got 3 wins coming as well. They'll beat Denver, Washington and pull off an upset. 5 wins

Washington will beat SEA. 4 wins

Philly will beat SEA and Wash. 5 wins

Sea is done winning. 3 wins

Arizona will beat St. Louis, Sea, and Cleveland and end up with 6 wins

Miami wins 3 more against DAL, OAK, and PHI. 5 wins.

Cleveland is done winning. 3 wins.

Jacksonville has 2 wins left. Against CLE and IND. 5 wins.

Denver has 1 win left against KC. 5 wins.

Chiefs are done winning. 4 wins.

Draft order:
1.IND
2.SEA
3.CLE
4.STL
5.WSH
6.KC
7.PHI
8.MIN
9.CAR
10.JAX
11.MIA
12.DEN
13.ARI

If that's where we're going to be, I'd rather trade down with someone who wants one of the QBs and pick up ILB Burfict. What excites me is that I already loved this dude last season and looking at some of the mocks out there already, they've got this guy picked for us quite often. This guy is the next stud ILB. With the additional picks we get, I'd address the OL and NT position early and often.

lovenflrefs1
11-15-2011, 05:07 AM
I see what you mean about getting Stanzi ready, but unfortunately, that may not be possible. We can't predict what will happen to Palco in the coming games. Hopefully they've been working with him since the lockout ended and he's been learning the play book. Things happen and you should always be prepared.

chiefnut
11-15-2011, 08:28 AM
let palko play, if he is terrible yhen you have to give stanzi a shot. even if palko is moderately ok, you can get stanzi some playing time just for experience. if we continue to spiral down then you throw stanzi in the last 2 games in hopes he sparks the team and we finish on a high note. IMO anyway

70 chiefsfan70
11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I think we have to be careful here. We have a bad Oline and are playing against really good bloodthirsty Defenses, and it would be bad if this situation ruined our young prospect. However we need to play him some to see what hes made of. If it looks like he can't handle the starting position than it tells us to find one in the off season.

kcvet
11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
let Palko start. he has more experience with the starters. you start Stanzi against NE your throwing him to the lions. they'll eat him to the bone.

Ryfo18
11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
let Palko start. he has more experience with the starters. you start Stanzi against NE your throwing him to the lions. they'll eat him to the bone.

This

azchiefsfan
11-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't care who they start, unlike 3 losers who blame Cassel for everything and love it when he doesn't do so well, I will be cheering for Palko or Stanzi. Maybe they can bring a spark that will reignite the offense. I just want to win. Cassel was our best hope for that. He's down, now I hope that one of these two guys can step up and be great.

toyotapower
11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
In the spirit of seeing what we have in our young players I think its time we get jerrell powe and rodney hudson on the field. Casey wiegmann and kelly gregg have been two of the worst players for us this year and are right in the middle of the two biggest problems on this team. Why not see what our young talent can do?

texaschief
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
At this point, I'm less concerned about winning and more concerned about player evaluation. The only way to truly evaluate Stanzi is to put him through a few weeks of prep as if it were the preseason. Give him a month or so behind the scenes of practicing with the #1s and give him a shot against a down Jets team. Put him in during garbage time in the 2nd half leading up to the game to get his feet wet, then hand him the reins for the rest of the season starting against NYJ.

This is the best approach toward the QB position in my opinion regardless of how Palko performs.

okikcfan
11-15-2011, 02:55 PM
The fact is we have what we would like to see and Haley has what her wants. If Palko turns out to really suck we could see Stanzi in on Monday night. They both work out durning the week so they must see more in Palko then Stanzi at this point. Also I think it has alot to do with who has the best chemistry between the QB and the offense. This overall was my biggest fear before the season even started, what if Cassel got hurt, now I guess we will find out. I have never been a big Cassel fan but I would have never wanted to see him get hurt or injured in any game. This season or at least the next five games are shot so why not go for it and give them both a shot and may the best QB win. We all debated before. Some wanted BC in at QB and well we all know how that turned out. At this point what do we have to lose.

Seek
11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
From what I have heard, Stanzi is your typical pocket passing Qb. He is not Tyler Palko who only has a job because of his scrambling ability to keep plays alive.

Given the lack of protection this offensive line is producing, I would worry Stanzi would either develop bad habits and become a bust like many good QB's do when they ar thrown in a fire, or get hurt. He may end up getting hurt.

I am fine letting him develop just as Aaron Rodgers did and take this team when he is ready.

Jrudi
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
In the spirit of seeing what we have in our young players I think its time we get jerrell powe and rodney hudson on the field. Casey wiegmann and kelly gregg have been two of the worst players for us this year and are right in the middle of the two biggest problems on this team. Why not see what our young talent can do?

Agreed! I've never understood why Powe hasn't been active much this season. Gregg won't be here next year, so we need to see what we have in Powe, I thought he played fairly well in the pre- season.

From what I have heard, Stanzi is your typical pocket passing Qb. He is not Tyler Palko who only has a job because of his scrambling ability to keep plays alive.

Given the lack of protection this offensive line is producing, I would worry Stanzi would either develop bad habits and become a bust like many good QB's do when they ar thrown in a fire, or get hurt. He may end up getting hurt.

I am fine letting him develop just as Aaron Rodgers did and take this team when he is ready.

Palko does seem to have the ability to elude pressure better than Cassel, I've noticed that.

As for starting Stanzi?? I'm not sure, I would be with the crowd that says I want to do what is best for the team. Although I had heard that the staff was happy with how he has been progressing, and Mel Kiper mentioned that of all the QB's in this draft class, he like Stanzi quite a bit, and thought he had the best chance to have a good, long career in the league with time to develop (had the most upside).

If we use Stanzi... A Prelude to Haley out, and Kirk Ferentz in??

chief31
11-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Well, for now, being only one game out of first, I can't condone giving it all up and just working to get young players some experience.

But I would shorten up some players' leashes, that's for sure.

If Cassel stays out for the rest of the year, which seems pretty likely, and we don't get our act together and get in the playoff race, then I would like to see both, Plako, and Stanzi get a good look at The NFL.

And, once out of the race, I would also like to start getting an early look at some other young players, and even just other options at some positions.

We have been seeing a whole lot of our depth, all year. If we are going to miss the playoffs, might as well get a good look at the roster.

kcvet
11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
what is Cassel's status ??? he's not even on the injury list yet. has he had surgery??? and what extent is the damage ???

chief31
11-16-2011, 08:17 PM
what is Cassel's status ??? he's not even on the injury list yet. has he had surgery??? and what extent is the damage ???

"Haley said Wednesday he doesn’t know when Cassel will be able to return. The team has not placed him on injured reserve, which means he could return this season. Haley said much of that will depend on how Cassel recovers this week."

Chiefs' Cassel has surgery on throwing hand - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-casselsurgery)

kcvet
11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
"Haley said Wednesday he doesn’t know when Cassel will be able to return. The team has not placed him on injured reserve, which means he could return this season. Haley said much of that will depend on how Cassel recovers this week."

Chiefs' Cassel has surgery on throwing hand - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-casselsurgery)

thanks. its posted on here now. don't look good.

kcvet
11-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I hope they try stanzi out in the monday night game. What could we lose by trying him out?

ask NE. they'll have him for breakfast lunch and dinner