PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs should trade for peyton manning

marloweopatchiefs
11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
AFter the season if stanzi doesn't work out.

azchiefsfan
11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
He is done. If he comes back, it will be exactly like Favre's last season.

marloweopatchiefs
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
He is done. If he comes back, it will be exactly like Favre's last season.

And what if you are wrong and he came in and got us to the superbowl?

azchiefsfan
11-14-2011, 05:10 PM
He's a $90 million gamble. With $40 million guaranteed in the first 2 years. We would be on the hook for $20 million, minimum-and that's if he agreed to a 1 year contract. Which old players like him won't do.

#58ChiefsFan
11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Manning IS his own offensive system, one offseason with this mess we have is not enough to even begin to be competitive.

I'm not looking for one superbowl victory I want a competitive team year in and year out.

Ryfo18
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Nope

marloweopatchiefs
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
So if the chiefs tried going for manning you guys would hate it. Wow. Lets just stick with cassel then. Pretty much what we would be saying

#58ChiefsFan
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Manning is never going to leave the Colts. He will be thier head coach before he is 40, these people here worship him.

Ryfo18
11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
So if the chiefs tried going for manning you guys would hate it. Wow. Lets just stick with cassel then. Pretty much what we would be saying

I wouldn't hate it, but let's be honest what this does to the future of the organization. We would get a 35 year-old quarterback that just suffered a very serious neck injury and would have been out of the league for a year. What do we get out of him? Maybe two years tops? They are saying there are chances he might not even play again. This team needs to take a shot in the first round with out likely early draft pick this year, and let him develop. There is a lot of talent coming out in the draft.

matthewschiefs
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't hate it, but let's be honest what this does to the future of the organization. We would get a 35 year-old quarterback that just suffered a very serious neck injury and would have been out of the league for a year. What do we get out of him? Maybe two years tops? They are saying there are chances he might not even play again. This team needs to take a shot in the first round with out likely early draft pick this year, and let him develop. There is a lot of talent coming out in the draft.

I agree we need someone who is going to be around for a while.

That being said I wouldn't 100% hate it. Stanzi could sit and watch one of the best and learn. But I would rather get a good young guy and not have to worry about qb for a while.

2010chiefs
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
We need to beef up our O-line and D-line with this draft. Not another QB. Let's see what Stanzi can do now so that we can maybe consider a QB.

G Money
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I agree. Enough with getting others table scraps. Peyton, although a incredible QB, now has a very big mark on his back. We take him, and get 1 maybe two out of him, he gets cranked, and thats it. We develop what we have, or trade for a good draft pick. Ever wonder how Brady Quinn would have done had Cleveland not scooped us?

As Jesse Jackson would say
"Keep Hope Alive!!" I know ... Cheese!

Seek
11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I would rather give up a bunch and trade up with Indy for Andrew Luck.

OPLookn
11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I would rather give up a bunch and trade up with Indy for Andrew Luck.

After watching a few games and listening to people talk about the Oregon vs Stanford game I just don't know about Luck. He might be a great QB but what I saw isn't worth trading the farm for one pick. Would I like to have him? Yes, but not at the cost of what it would take to get him.

Jrudi
11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
After watching a few games and listening to people talk about the Oregon vs Stanford game I just don't know about Luck. He might be a great QB but what I saw isn't worth trading the farm for one pick. Would I like to have him? Yes, but not at the cost of what it would take to get him.

I watched part of the Oregon vs Stanford game, and Luck was not the reason they lost that game.

Oregon ran all over Stanford like the Broncos did the chiefs, LaMicheal James had like 3 TD's! and the Duck's averaged like 7yds a play! Standford didn't have an answer to Oregon's Offense, and the INT of luck's that I saw him throw, was because a Freshman TE tipped up the ball to a LB.

I'm not saying we are going to get him, and I do think it would take a lot to trade up to get him (I think the only team that will trade that pick would be St. Louis)

I'm just saying from what I watched of that game, they didn't loose because of Luck.

OPLookn
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I watched part of the Oregon vs Stanford game, and Luck was not the reason they lost that game.

Oregon ran all over Stanford like the Broncos did the chiefs, LaMicheal James had like 3 TD's! and the Duck's averaged like 7yds a play! Standford didn't have an answer to Oregon's Offense, and the INT of luck's that I saw him throw, was because a Freshman TE tipped up the ball to a LB.

I'm not saying we are going to get him, and I do think it would take a lot to trade up to get him (I think the only team that will trade that pick would be St. Louis)

I'm just saying from what I watched of that game, they didn't loose because of Luck.

That's interesting, hadn't heard that kind of perspective. Still haven't watched the game and now I probably won't get the chance to.

Even if Luck is the stud everyone makes him out to be it's become apparent that while we've got some first stringers are that are pretty darn good (or have the potential to be) we have first string holes and the need for talented backups. Just don't want to trade away a couple firsts, one or two seconds and a third to get Luck. I'm thinking that's about what it'd take with the Luck frenzy that's going on.

Jrudi
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
That's interesting, hadn't heard that kind of perspective. Still haven't watched the game and now I probably won't get the chance to.

Even if Luck is the stud everyone makes him out to be it's become apparent that while we've got some first stringers are that are pretty darn good (or have the potential to be) we have first string holes and the need for talented backups. Just don't want to trade away a couple firsts, one or two seconds and a third to get Luck. I'm thinking that's about what it'd take with the Luck frenzy that's going on.

Heck it might take more than that; remember the ATL trade to get Julio Jones: 2011 and 2012 first round picks, a 2011 second round pick and both 2011 and 2012 fourth round picks.

And that was to move to pick #5 I think....

So with the #1 you might be looking at like swapping this years first rounder, next years first, and like 2 second rounders, or possibly tossing on a 3rd too.

okikcfan
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Pioli would not give up so many picks for Luck. He would trade back before moving up. Lets see what Palko and Stanzi can give us first. What do we have to lose? The afc west sucks and no matter who wins it won't get past the first round. IMO..

Jrudi
11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Pioli would not give up so many picks for Luck. He would trade back before moving up. Lets see what Palko and Stanzi can give us first. What do we have to lose? The afc west sucks and no matter who wins it won't get past the first round. IMO..

I agree, I wasn't saying I thought we would, it's not Pioli's M.O.

Just saying it will take a lot for any team to move up there to get him.

Seek
11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree, I wasn't saying I thought we would, it's not Pioli's M.O.

Just saying it will take a lot for any team to move up there to get him.

I am not suggesting we do that, I am just saying I would rather do that than trade for Manning. He may be retired as it is and just does not know it.

it is really going to suck having Luck in Indy.

honda522
11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Why don't we bring back Joe Montana while were at it?

marloweopatchiefs
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Why don't we bring back Joe Montana while were at it?

Got us to an afc west title game there smart a$$:mooning:

AussieChiefsFan
11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Woudnt be worth it unless we win the SB

Jrudi
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Believe it or not there is actually an article on NFL.com about where Manning might end up.... And we are on that list rated as a likely place for him to end up haha.

Here it is... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824369c9/article/jets-headline-list-of-potential-suitors-for-colts-manning?module=HP11_cp&module=HP11_headline_stack)

josh1971
11-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I think we'd really benefit from him as a manager of the game, but, and it's a big BUT- No QB is going to flourish here until we have a solid line to protect him and give him a running attack to set up the passing game.

AussieChiefsFan
11-18-2011, 03:41 AM
The extract from the NFL.com article Jrudi was talking about:

The Midwest. America's heartland. A lifestyle he's grown accustomed to. Some pretty nice weapons to throw to in Dwayne Bowe, Jonathan Baldwin and Steve Breaston, and potentially a healthy Jamaal Charles. A solid front office. Hey, Joe Montana did it, and if Joe can do it, anyone can. Manning would be a really nice fit in K.C. -- he'd be comfortable there. The Chiefs are the first of the potential suitors on this list that I really think could make a run for Manning. The AFC West is up for grabs every year, and he immediately makes them a contender.
Interesting

Jrudi
11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I think we'd really benefit from him as a manager of the game, but, and it's a big BUT- No QB is going to flourish here until we have a solid line to protect him and give him a running attack to set up the passing game.

Not so sure about that, Manning really hasn't had all that great of an offensive line in recent years (I know they haven't went to the SB in recent years, but are still always in the mix)

When I first heard this I completely dismissed it, and didn't like the idea, then I thought about it a little bit, about what if Manning was a chief, and It actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

let's look at this: The main thing this team lacks is a better o-line, an upgrade somewhere on the D-line, and a Franchise QB.

So this Offseason, we sign manning -a proven franchise QB- (if he is cut, which has been mentioned to possibly happen) to let's say a 3 year contract (if he is healthy) This would allow us options.

We could now add O-line or D-line early in the draft rather than the talk about a QB (Lets say an OT like Riley Reif from Iowa, and now we have options to leave Albert at LOT, move him in to guard for Lilja, or move him to RT, all depending on how Gaither/Richardson are doing.) This would help our O-line out significantly, and now doesn't look like that weak of a position group.

With Manning on a 3 year contract (that hopefully lasts, if we solidify our O-line) It would allow us to develop a QB while still being competitive (weather that is Stanzi, or we take a 1st rounder in 2013, or a 2nd or 3rd rounder, it would set us up for success after Manning would be gone, and the young QB could take over in year 3 when most say things click for young qb's) The young QB would soak in the "Winning attitude" that is being displayed by manning.

If you really think about it, He would be in a better situation here than he has ever been in Indy. With our play maker WR's, our running game is better than he has ever had in Indy, and our Defense is better now that he has ever had in Indy (not to mention what it could be with a little help) If we did it right, we could create a situation like Aaron Rogers was in Green Bay, I think the biggest mistake teams make when they have a Franchise QB is that they don't focus on replacing them when it is time to: A La The Dallas Cowboys with Troy Aikman, took a long time to find that next QB, and haven't had success since, then you look at Situation like Green Bay with Favre and Rogers, or the 49ers when they let Young take over for Montanna. If we prep correctly, we could be in a really good situation.

I'm not saying that it will happen (I understand it's still the middle of the season) I'm just saying if it did happen, I don't think I would be all that upset, and it could actually place us in a position to compete now, and set us up for the future.

azchiefsfan
11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Has anyone else remembered he has a neck injury that has ended the career of every other NFL player to have it? He broke a vertebra and crushed a disc! Others have tried to come back, but no one has. They have used metal strips to screw and glue 3 vertebra together to stabilize the broken vertebra and the crushed disc. He is the worlds stupidest human being to get back in a game that could paralyze him and even kill him. I think he's stupid enough to play again, for about 3 hits if he's lucky, then gone for good. I have 2 vertebra that are fractured and 2 discs that are crushed in my lower back-I am 43 it happened when I was 35. I am a tough guy-farmer and mechanic and truck driver. I can't work anymore and I ain't getting crushed under 380# linemen or smashed by 300# linebackers. Do any of you understand that IF he comes back, he will be absolutely NO GOOD on the field anymore?

Jrudi
11-18-2011, 10:36 AM
As I said, I'm not saying this should happen.

I was simply stating that if all of the situations work out, he comes back this season for the colts and plays a few games and seems healthy, if he his cleared to play, etc.

Just talking about the possibility, that if everything works out, I wouldn't be upset to see him in a Chiefs uniform if he is healthy.

I understand it is a serious injury, and I hope the best for his health, and that if there is the high possibility of detrimental damages that will significantly affect his day to day life after football, I hope he makes the right decision to call it quits. I understand this is not Fantasy Football, and he is a human being.

Just speculating what if...

okikcfan
11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Well not to change the subject but, I watched Tebow vs Jets last night and the guy sucks but he is smart and runs the ball well. It was really kinda funny because I wanted the Donks to lose but in the end I found myself rooting for him, lol. Denvers D is really looking good. The look on Rex Ryan's face well, was priceless!

okikcfan
11-18-2011, 10:39 AM
As for Manning, the risk is too high as would be the price tag...

figcrostic
11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
He should retire I don't wanna see the man paralyzed.

azchiefsfan
11-18-2011, 01:39 PM
He should retire I don't wanna see the man paralyzed.

I agree 100%. He is the best QB since Joe Montana and arguably had to do more with less. It would be tragic to have him attempt a comeback and lose everything. He doesn't need to. He will always be one of the three best QB's to ever play the game.

TopekaRoy
11-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I son't see this happening. IMO, even if the Colts draft Luck, they will try to go with Manning if he is healthy, while letting Luck develop for a year or two on the bench. If Manning can't play and they are forced to go with Luck, they will still be in a great position. I think Manning will either play for the Colts next year (because he can), or he will retire (because he can't),

azchiefsfan
11-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I think he's stupid enough to try. I just hope he discovers his new limitations before he goes out on the field with an opposing defense trying to cut him in half.

MissingTBone
11-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Part of the reason Manning is so good is the protection he gets from his ol. If he were to play behind our line he would get hit a lot more, leading to poor performance. If you look back on the games where his protection was getting shredded he had bad games.

Ryfo18
11-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Part of the reason Manning is so good is the protection he gets from his ol. If he were to play behind our line he would get hit a lot more, leading to poor performance. If you look back on the games where his protection was getting shredded he had bad games.

I'll be honest, I think this is very inaccurate. Manning is great at reading the blitz, and calling his team into the correct play to beat it. The Colts OL is nothing to brag about.

Codac
11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Stanzi isn't going to work. And not to be a jerk but this is a dream that, quite frankly, doesn't make much sense. I would rather go for Brady if we did something like this. At least he can win in the post-season.

chief31
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Stanzi isn't going to work. And not to be a jerk but this is a dream that, quite frankly, doesn't make much sense. I would rather go for Brady if we did something like this. At least he can win in the post-season.

Peyton is 9-11 in the post season.

Hardly a case of Phillip Rivers, or Marty Schottenheimer, there.

Although, I have no interest in the notion of trading for him either.

Codac
11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Peyton is 9-11 in the post season.

Hardly a case of Phillip Rivers, or Marty Schottenheimer, there.

Although, I have no interest in the notion of trading for him either.

9-11 is not that great. A good portion of those came from his only good showing in the playoffs when he finally won his first and last superbowl. Not trying to knock on one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time. Just saying, he wasn't exactly the best quarterback in the post-season. I would take Big Ben, Brady, or hell I might even take Eli before I took Peyton in the playoffs.

Chiefster
11-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Manning will never be a Chief.

Jrudi
11-21-2011, 03:26 PM

The Colts line hasn't been good for Quite some time, at least a couple of years. That team has been Manning.

Manning makes everyone else on that team look better.

9-11 is not that great. A good portion of those came from his only good showing in the playoffs when he finally won his first and last superbowl. Not trying to knock on one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time. Just saying, he wasn't exactly the best quarterback in the post-season. I would take Big Ben, Brady, or hell I might even take Eli before I took Peyton in the playoffs.

It's Better than 0-1 (Cassel)

deankramp
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM

So what happens when we finish the year with six wins and can't draft one of the top four qbs available? You would rather have a "young" Matt Cassel for two years? Then get rid of him because he's garbage?

Umm yes I'll take Peyton Manning for a few years. Please don't let me see Cassel or Palko take another snap for the Chiefs. Do people seriously think this wouldn't be worth the gamble?

okikcfan
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Manning is a high cost high risk if in fact he does leave which I dont think that will ever happen. He'll be back with the Colts next year.

AussieChiefsFan
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Manning is a high cost high risk if in fact he does leave which I dont think that will ever happen. He'll be back with the Colts next year.
Exactly, I don't see him leaving the Colts, EVEN if they draft Andrew Luck. If they get Luck they could do what the Packers did with Rodgers.

nigeriannightmare
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Manning will never be a Chief.

Im pretty sure they said the same of joe montana......

okikcfan
12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Drew Bree's picked in the second round of the draft, Ben Roethlisberger, 11th pick in the draft, Aron Rodgers, 24 pick, Joe Flacco, 18th pick, Andy Dalton, 35th pick, Tom Brady, 6th round pick, Point being you dont need to get a top pick to get a top QB. just sayin. Yes I threw Andy in there, he's a rookie but he's pretty good and expect him to get much better.

Chiefster
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Im pretty sure they said the same of joe montana......

Montana was being squeezed out of San Fransisco and the Chiefs were actually vying for him. Such is not the case in Indianapolis with Manning.

Bike
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm tired of bringing in other peoples qb's. I would much rather draft a prospect and groom him into a superbowl-winning qb untill he he is past his prime, then watch other teams beg us for his services. Thats the qb I want.

#58ChiefsFan
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm tired of bringing in other peoples qb's. I would much rather draft a prospect and groom him into a superbowl-winning qb untill he he is past his prime, then watch other teams beg us for his services. Thats the qb I want.

I agree with you. We have Zorn on the staff and I have faith that he could groom a true QBOTF whether it's Stanzi or another draft pick.

nigeriannightmare
12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Montana was being squeezed out of San Fransisco and the Chiefs were actually vying for him. Such is not the case in Indianapolis with Manning.

He was their guy until the draft. He was supposed to groom meirer from notre dame his alma.matter and trade steve young. Just saying never is a strong word. How stupid was seattle. Steve young for their 1st rnd pick they used on mirer.

okikcfan
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I mean really, just think about it for a second. Would you want to be the one that traded Manning, Your life would be over in a matter of days, the fans would want you dead and I would assume it wouldn't take long before you would be unemployed. They have to keep Manning for the 2012 season, if it works, hey it works and if it doesn't? Montana gave us some Great games but still he didn't get us to where we wanted to go and part of that can be blamed on Marty ball. The one that got away was Gannon, nuff said on that.

Chiefster
12-10-2011, 12:13 AM
He was their guy until the draft. He was supposed to groom meirer from notre dame his alma.matter and trade steve young. Just saying never is a strong word. How stupid was seattle. Steve young for their 1st rnd pick they used on mirer.

Perhaps; I just think Manning comes with too steep a price tag.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't know how old Peyton is, hasn't he been with the colts a long time? Although he is my second favorite QB after Tom Brady, I don't think it would be a good deal to to get the last year(s) of his NFL career. I would say go for QB out of the draft and hope for the best.