PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley issued the folowing statement on the addition of Orton

2010chiefs
11-24-2011, 09:12 PM
"We have consistently communicated that we are always looking to create competition and depth within our team. We feel adding Kyle to our roster reinforces that goal and we look forward to having him as a member of the Chiefs."

TopekaRoy
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Cool. I'm still waiting to hear a statement from Kyle ...

2010chiefs
11-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking this is Haley's approach in fixing our QB situation with or without Cassel. Can't go wrong with having them compete for the QB position!

TopekaRoy
11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
I still haven'r heard anything from Orton and he skipped practice today (Thursday) but Haley thinks he will play.

From the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/24/3284902/orton-not-ready-to-take-over-so.html):

Orton didn’t arrive in Kansas City in time to practice with his teammates Thursday. Haley, who said he had spoken with Orton over the phone, indicated Orton would join the Chiefs today.
“He had a couple of personal things he had to attend to,” Haley said.

I think he is professional enough that he will put his personal feelings aside and give 100%.

SIC J
11-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Just read this on ESPN.com......

"New Kansas City quarterback Kyle Orton will join the team Friday. He was claimed off waivers from Denver on Wednesday. As expected, Tyler Palko will start Sunday against Pittsburgh. Orton is expected to start Dec. 4 at Chicago."

Chiefster
11-25-2011, 06:22 AM
I still haven'r heard anything from Orton and he skipped practice today (Thursday) but Haley thinks he will play.

From the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/24/3284902/orton-not-ready-to-take-over-so.html):

I think he is professional enough that he will put his personal feelings aside and give 100%.

He probably spent Thanksgiving with family.

OPLookn
11-25-2011, 10:22 AM
He probably spent Thanksgiving with family.

Yeah, not really mad at a guy for spending time with the family on a holiday when he was just traded the day before. I think it's best he not even attempt to be put in this week. Not enough time to get him up to speed on more than a handful of plays which to me would be just as bad as Palko with all the plays available to him.

:lol:

Overall I'm happy with the addition of Orton. We'll get a conditional pick if he leaves and if not there's competition. Is he long term? Since Cassel and Orton are the same age we'll get to find out next year!

azchiefsfan
11-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Seems to me a case of damning with faint praise. It seems pretty clear to me Hailey wasn't on board this decision.

TopekaRoy
11-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Overall I'm happy with the addition of Orton. We'll get a conditional pick if he leaves and if not there's competition. Is he long term? Since Cassel and Orton are the same age we'll get to find out next year!
Yeah, I think he will do a good job for us. He is certainly good enough for us to beat Oakland and Denver, as long as everyone else steps up. I'm not sure about any of the other games, though. The Jets have struggled lately and the Chicago game will at least have an interresting story line, as will the Broncos game.

Hr's still a free agent at the end of the year, so if he doesn't outperform Cassell, I don't know if the Chiefs will want to pay him enough to keep two starting Caliber QBs on the roster. If he does much better than Cassel, the Chiefs may cut Matt and get from under his $10 million a year salary.which will mean even more money to resign Bowe and get some other big name free agents. They have the cap space to keep both and may do that for one year.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Coach
11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Orton is better than both qb's we currently have in our roster. This was a no-brainer in my mind. Also, I have a hard time believing that Haley wasn't in favor of this. Without Orton, the chiefs were likely to lose all of their remaining games which could hbe threatened Haley's job security. With Orton the Chiefs have a chance at a 6-7 win total for the season which should keep Haley safe considering the injuries they have endured.

TopekaRoy
11-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Orton is better than both qb's we currently have in our roster. This was a no-brainer in my mind. Also, I have a hard time believing that Haley wasn't in favor of this. Without Orton, the chiefs were likely to lose all of their remaining games which could hbe threatened Haley's job security. With Orton the Chiefs have a chance at a 6-7 win total for the season which should keep Haley safe considering the injuries they have endured.
I concur. :bananen_smilies046:

And that's a very god thing, IMO. The Chiefs have enough problems right now. Turnover on the coaching staff would just make things worse before they get better. Keeping Haley and seeing what he can do next year with all his weapons (and a few new ones, hopefully) is a good idea. Next year is the last year of his contract and if the Chiefs struggle again, it will be time to let him go.

2010chiefs
11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree. With Kyle Orton on board now. I'd like to see what Todd Haley can do next year. At least the QB position won't be an issue!

chief31
11-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree. With Kyle Orton on board now. I'd like to see what Todd Haley can do next year. At least the QB position won't be an issue!

I bet it will.

Without better protection, and game-planning/play-calling, anybody playing QB is going to struggle.

2010chiefs
11-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Ok, but I can't get over Matt Cassel's decision making. It drives me crazy. Not saying it's all his fault , but when he does have time and protection, he continues to dissapoint me. All i'm saying is that with a proven veteran to compare him too and to compete with, maybe it improves our offense. Maybe Kyle Orton can handle pressure better and read defenses better. If Orton gets protection maybe he's able to make the big play we so desperatley want to see when we need it. Maybe he's a better leader and doesn't yell and blame his wide receivers every chance he gets!

TopekaRoy
11-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I bet it will.
I bet it will (be an issue) too.

I see a QB controversy brewing just like in Denver. Only this time Orton will play the part of Tebow with Cassel as the established starter and fans calling fo Kyle to start. Will the Chiefs keep both Orton and Cassel for "depth?" Will Orton beat out Cassel for the starting job? Will they even resign Orton? Well Cassel get cut?

Stay tuned ...

#58ChiefsFan
11-25-2011, 10:30 PM
There may not be any controversy if Orton comes in and struggles. He is behind the eight ball before he ever took a snap given what remains of our team, add to that a learning curve and he may have a hard time. If he was the qb we are hoping he is Denver would have kept him, they chose another savior though.

Chiefster
11-25-2011, 11:07 PM

I see a QB controversy brewing just like in Denver. Only this time Orton will play the part of Tebow with Cassel as the established starter and fans calling fo Kyle to start. Will the Chiefs keep both Orton and Cassel for "depth?" Will Orton beat out Cassel for the starting job? Will they even resign Orton? Well Cassel get cut?

Stay tuned ...

...As the Stomach Turns :lol:

TopekaRoy
11-25-2011, 11:11 PM
...As the Stomach Turns :lol::lol: Hopefully the results don't turn my stomach!

Chiefster
11-25-2011, 11:12 PM
:lol: Hopefully the results don't turn my stomach!

:lol:

I have more, but hesitate to produce them. :D

Eydugstr
11-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Without better protection, and game-planning/play-calling, anybody playing QB is going to struggle.

No kidding. They barely get the ball snapped & in their hands and a defensive lineman is already there.

Orton's a good qb, but expecting him to save the season is a bit much. If he'd inked a long term contract with the Chiefs, Haley's statement would make a lot more sense.

josh1971
11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Orton should be fine now that he isn't throwing passes out there where Derrick Johnson can get them...

hardcorechiefsfan
11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Seems to me a case of damning with faint praise. It seems pretty clear to me Hailey wasn't on board this decision.
Clark was probably tired of his team losing, especially when his own family most likely roots for better teams.

chief31
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Stay tuned ...

I really hope that Orton can get the job done.

I want him to be so good that Cassel becomes irrelevant.

But I just don't see it. I think this Chiefs team is in the same position that The Bears were in when they had Orton.

Terrible offensive structure.

I expect Orton to look as bad as he did in John Fox's offense.

May I be proven wrong as can be. :D

hardcorechiefsfan
11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I really hope that Orton can get the job done.

I want him to be so good that Cassel becomes irrelevant.

But I just don't see it. I think this Chiefs team is in the same position that The Bears were in when they had Orton.

Terrible offensive structure.

I expect Orton to look as bad as he did in John Fox's offense.

May I be proven wrong as can be. :D
Ditto, I hope so too. I would like to see him or any of the players or staff be able to get the chiefs to rise out of the hell they are in and have been in for awhile. I have an idea, why not withhold their checks when they don't play any good - that includes games they win, I am tired of the games they win where they stop trying when they know they are going to win.