PDA

View Full Version : The Good News?

Ryfo18
11-28-2011, 12:01 AM
It's hard to look at anything positive after this loss, but if you can take this defense into next year and build a formidable offense around it, this team will be legitimate contenders once again in 2012.

It starts with quarterback. Is Cassel the answer? I don't necessarily think so, but he's shown he can be good in the presence of a good running game. I would love nothing more than for the Chiefs to get a solid rookie in a draft class that is extremely deep at the quarterback position. We wouldn't have to force him in their right away, but Cassel would have legitimate competition behind him.

drstandley31
11-28-2011, 12:03 AM
There was more positive out of that game, then the last several. I thought it would be another run-away. We were there till the end. Even with 3 straight turnovers in our end of the field.

70 chiefsfan70
11-28-2011, 12:06 AM
The D did play very well tonight, but then I've stood up for the D all year. But tonight they did not give up.

hardcorechiefsfan
11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
That is real good news. Negativity takes too much energy.

Bike
11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Cassel is a backup at best. Draft Landry Jones or Barkley whoever is available and OL after that. Go out and get some FA's to help us fill in holes at safety and LB. And, of course, bring in a HC that knows how to manage a NFL franchise.
I agree our defense played a helluva game tonight.

matthewschiefs
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Before we go draft ANTHER qb I would really like to see Stanzi get a chance. Maybe just maybe he can be a good nfl qb. Is it a high chance no but in this lost season that's going no where why not give him a look see if he can be a good qb if he can and again that's a long shot but IF he can then we won't have to draft anther qb if not then whats the harm really?

lovenflrefs1
11-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Who needs Luck? I'll take RG3.

I'd love to see Stanzi play, but who are we kidding? It isn't going to happen. Just lose out and hope for an up and comer.

#58ChiefsFan
11-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Im not sure this coaching group can develop a qb, we have never been able to in our history. Given our history I think we are going to have to sign a free agent some how some way that already is a proven winner. Good luck with that I know. I think Ricky has enough talent but they keep him out if harms way.

hardcorechiefsfan
11-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Before we go draft ANTHER qb I would really like to see Stanzi get a chance. Maybe just maybe he can be a good nfl qb. Is it a high chance no but in this lost season that's going no where why not give him a look see if he can be a good qb if he can and again that's a long shot but IF he can then we won't have to draft anther qb if not then whats the harm really?
I think we should use up all our picks on quarterbacks and then let them all compete for #1, #2, and #3 quarterbacks. As for the rest of the offense,and if we still got Bowe(God forbid!) - teach them how to catch a ball so we don't have to run it inch by inch.

tornadospotter
11-28-2011, 12:32 AM
The best out of this game to me was. That was a Chiefs Defense! That was what this team was always known for from the past, a strong Defense.

Chiefster
11-28-2011, 12:35 AM
The best out of this game to me was. That was a Chiefs Defense! That was what this team was always know for from the past, a strong Defense.

Agreed! usually if a defence holds a team to 13 points then it's a win.

Eydugstr
11-28-2011, 12:36 AM
It's hard to look at anything positive after this loss, but if you can take this defense into next year and build a formidable offense around it, this team will be legitimate contenders once again in 2012.

Was pretty impressed with the D all game. They really hung in there and adjusted with whatever the Steelers tried to to do. That second half, to shut them out like that...Well done. We are just a pass rusher (DL or LB) away from having a shutdown D.

ctchiefsfan
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM

It starts with quarterback. Is Cassel the answer? I don't necessarily think so, but he's shown he can be good in the presence of a good running game. I would love nothing more than for the Chiefs to get a solid rookie in a draft class that is extremely deep at the quarterback position. We wouldn't have to force him in their right away, but Cassel would have legitimate competition behind him.

A very well thought out post in my opinion.

Our D has what it takes to make us a real contender. All they need is the confidence that our O can get the job done. With that confidence I think they would play as well as last night or better every single week. Of course a little more depth on D would help.

QB is tougher to call. Cassel CAN get it done....IF he has a really good O line and a good running game. He's not a "game winner" type quarterback but with the D we have, a strong O line and great running, he could take us to the dance.

So do we need a "Star QB" who can get it done with the O line we have or do we make do with Cassel or maybe Orton and try to build a KILLER O line?

I doubt we can do both.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, but if I did, I think I'd go with keeping Cassel or Orton and go all in to try to get a great O line.

JMHO....

:chiefs::chiefs::chiefs::chiefs:

TopekaRoy
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I doubt we can do both.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, but if I did, I think I'd go with keeping Cassel or Orton and go all in to try to get a great O line.

Building a great offensive line is the harder thing to do, but that would be my preference as well. Both Cassel and Orton would be fine behind a solid line especially with JC running the ball. In fact, I think that with a very good O line (and a solid derfense) even a back-up QB can be effective. This is an important consideration with so many QBs missing games due to injury.

I've thought about our QB situation and I don't think there is any way we can keep both Orton and Cassel. It would be too expensive and neither will want the roll of back-up QB, although it would be great to have both. That puts us in the position of probably needing to find another experienced less expensive veteran back-up QB, but I don't think we draft another rookie QB unless someone who is too good to pass up is available. Stanzi has too much future potential to let him go before giving him time to develop. Palko, on the other hand, can't leave soon enough in my opinion.

ctchiefsfan
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Building a great offensive line is the harder thing to do, but that would be my preference as well. Both Cassel and Orton would be fine behind a solid line especially with JC running the ball. In fact, I think that with a very good O line (and a solid derfense) even a back-up QB can be effective. This is an important consideration with so many QBs missing games due to injury.

I've thought about our QB situation and I don't think there is any way we can keep both Orton and Cassel. It would be too expensive and neither will want the roll of back-up QB, although it would be great to have both. That puts us in the position of probably needing to find another experienced less expensive veteran back-up QB, but I don't think we draft another rookie QB unless someone who is too good to pass up is available. Stanzi has too much future potential to let him go before giving him time to develop. Palko, on the other hand, can't leave soon enough in my opinion.

Agree with you completely on the QB situation.

But with some judicious trading during the draft, what will probably be fairly high draft positions and spending some of the cap room we have, do you not think we could build a KILLER O-Line? At least for a year or two from now?

Jrudi
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm passing on the QB talk for now, I have been writing my thoughts about it on a few other threads, and don't want to sound like a broken record haha.

BUT 2 more positives that I wanted to point out:

RODNEY HUDSON AND JUSTIN HOUSTON!!!

Did anyone realize Hudson started at LG for Lilja and held his own. He played really well and I'm excited about the idea that we will have him at Center next year if Wieggmann leaves.

Also

Houston really showed some flashes, he was getting some good pressure on Big Ben, Deflected a pass at the line of scrimmage when he realized he wasn't going to get there in time for a sack. And should have had a Forced Fumble on that Rothlesberger play as well (great play where he was on the other side of the field and reversed field when he realized Ben was going to run, ran him down from the other side of the field!). the Stat's say he only had 4 taclkes (tied for 3rd w/ Carr behind DJ-8 and Belcher-5) but it seemed like I saw him in the mix at the end of almost every play.

I liked what I saw from these to young talents!

nicfre2011
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm passing on the QB talk for now, I have been writing my thoughts about it on a few other threads, and don't want to sound like a broken record haha.

BUT 2 more positives that I wanted to point out:

RODNEY HUDSON AND JUSTIN HOUSTON!!!

Did anyone realize Hudson started at LG for Lilja and held his own. He played really well and I'm excited about the idea that we will have him at Center next year if Wieggmann leaves.

Also

Houston really showed some flashes, he was getting some good pressure on Big Ben, Deflected a pass at the line of scrimmage when he realized he wasn't going to get there in time for a sack. And should have had a Forced Fumble on that Rothlesberger play as well (great play where he was on the other side of the field and reversed field when he realized Ben was going to run, ran him down from the other side of the field!). the Stat's say he only had 4 taclkes (tied for 3rd w/ Carr behind DJ-8 and Belcher-5) but it seemed like I saw him in the mix at the end of almost every play.

I liked what I saw from these to young talents!

+1. Now if we can get a guard prospect in the draft to groom as the replacement for Lilja...have Hudson slide to center to replace Wiegmann....re-sign a healthy Jared Gaither to play right tackle and leave the gimmicky jumbo-tackle role to someone like Steve Maneri...re-sign Barry Richardson as our swing-tackle for depth...I think we will definitely be heading in the right direction.

I also noticed that Houston seems to be around the ball alot. What really impressed me was one play (trying to remember specifics) where he was being blocked on the edge and the run was to his side...he fought off the block and made the tackle for no gain or a loss (don't remember). That to me was really impressive. His pass rushing will come when we have a nose tackle that can push the pocket and command consistent double teams. If he can stay away from the wacky weed and continue to improve, we could have a big find long term....such impressive physical talent. I live in SC and married into a Georgia Bulldog family...I remember telling my father-in-law last year that Houston was a baller....I watched him closely and thought he really had a chance of being a solid first round prospect, he blew that chance by the drug testing failures come draft time. I was estatic to see the Chiefs draft him in the third round.

Hayvern
11-28-2011, 09:16 PM

I am not a huge Haley fan, so I do not give him too much stock, but honestly, if Stanzi had been showing any, I mean ANY chance of being a quality starting QB, we would have seen him already.

Stanzi is nothing, it is showing, maybe he will be better on another team, maybe not, but if the coaches, including Jim Zorn think the kid is a third stringer, then i am going to have to say that I would believe that well is dry.

2010chiefs
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Can't draft a QB in the early rounds IMO! Year after year we complain about our O-line. This is the year we correct the problem that continues to bight us year in and year out. We work with the QB's we have now and with a good enough line, I think they have a legitament shot at doing a good job. Also pick up a proven OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

ctchiefsfan
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
but honestly, if Stanzi had been showing any, I mean ANY chance of being a quality starting QB, we would have seen him already.

I'm inclined to agree. If Haley or Zorn thought Stanzi had any potential at all I suspect we'd have seen him at least in the 4th quarter of last night's game.

Year after year we complain about our O-line. This is the year we correct the problem that continues to bight us year in and year out. We work with the QB's we have now and with a good enough line, I think they have a legitament shot at doing a good job.

I'm inclined to agree.

drstandley31
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
The best out of this game to me was. That was a Chiefs Defense! That was what this team was always known for from the past, a strong Defense.
It was. That's what we've needed. I just hope they can start to become consistant. You can't give up the points we've given up this year. I know a better ball control offense would be a tremendous help, but we've had a ton of problems putting pressure on the QB all year with a few exceptions. We need one more big play pass rusher and the pocket would colapse a lot quicker!

Jrudi
11-29-2011, 09:51 AM
+1. Now if we can get a guard prospect in the draft to groom as the replacement for Lilja...have Hudson slide to center to replace Wiegmann....re-sign a healthy Jared Gaither to play right tackle and leave the gimmicky jumbo-tackle role to someone like Steve Maneri...re-sign Barry Richardson as our swing-tackle for depth...I think we will definitely be heading in the right direction.

I also noticed that Houston seems to be around the ball alot. What really impressed me was one play (trying to remember specifics) where he was being blocked on the edge and the run was to his side...he fought off the block and made the tackle for no gain or a loss (don't remember). That to me was really impressive. His pass rushing will come when we have a nose tackle that can push the pocket and command consistent double teams. If he can stay away from the wacky weed and continue to improve, we could have a big find long term....such impressive physical talent. I live in SC and married into a Georgia Bulldog family...I remember telling my father-in-law last year that Houston was a baller....I watched him closely and thought he really had a chance of being a solid first round prospect, he blew that chance by the drug testing failures come draft time. I was estatic to see the Chiefs draft him in the third round.

I'm hoping these days are behind him with the position that he now holds. And I'm not sure we should have to worry too much, I don't think he is the first College aged kid that has experimented with Pot....haha

Can't draft a QB in the early rounds IMO! Year after year we complain about our O-line. This is the year we correct the problem that continues to bight us year in and year out. We work with the QB's we have now and with a good enough line, I think they have a legitament shot at doing a good job. Also pick up a proven OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

I used to think this was our biggest problem, but as I have posted on various other threads...The main thing that I have learned since we have had Palko in, is that I now do not believe our biggest problem is our O-line. Since Palko is a more athletic/mobile QB, I have noticed that he seems to have more time than Cassel, and it is because he has a better pocket presence than Cassel, he is mobile and athletic and able to move around the pocket to avoid pressure. (Even if his decisions may have been bad, he has shown that he has had ample time to go through his progressions.)

So I am now noticing that I believe Cassel's immobility, and holding onto the ball to long to make his decisions, has made our O-line look much worse than what they actually are.

I was all for drafting an OT like Riley Reiff from Iowa, and moving Albert to LG... (Which I will not be upset if we still do this). BUT with the rookie wage scale now in place, I think it has not been a better time to take a chance on a 1st round QB, which brings me to thinking that an athletic QB like Robert Griffin would fit well in an Offensive system like ours, with so many play makers. (If we do take a guy like RG3 in the 1st round, I think we could find a OG prospect in like round 3 to learn behind Lilja for a year like Hudson is doing with Wieggmann)

After being a long time defender of Cassel, I have now fallen to the wayside since he has been out and realized the time is now to add a possible Franchise QB. We have the play makers on Offense, a pretty stout Defense, our special teams has the ability to make big plays. He would come in to an ideal situation, and may give us a season like Andy Dalton is having in Cincy.