PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready to see more of Tyler Palko?

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I haven't seen any local press to confirm this, but Chicago sports talker 670 The Score is reporting that Palko is still getting 60% of the snaps with the first team in practice.

Everyone is expecting Orton to start against the Bears, even in Chicago, but It appears that Haley is determined to start Palko and will probably be quick to go to Orton if Tyler turns the ball over.

It's also possible that Orton is getting fewer snaps because it's his first full week of practice and they are only giving him a very limited number of plays to work with.

I don't know how Haley can even consider giving Palko another start after the first 2 games. I know he got the offense moving pretty well, but it doesn't matter how many yards you get if you are likely to turn the ball over before you reach the end zone.

Do you think Orton should start against the Bears? I do. Do you think Orton will start against the Bears? I'm not so sure.

OPLookn
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I haven't seen any local press to confirm this, but Chicago sports talker 670 The Score is reporting that Palko is still getting 60% of the snaps with the first team in practice.

Everyone is expecting Orton to start against the Bears, even in Chicago, but It appears that Haley is determined to start Palko and will probably be quick to go to Orton if Tyler turns the ball over.

It's also possible that Orton is getting fewer snaps because it's his first full week of practice and they are only giving him a very limited number of plays to work with.

I don't know how Haley can even consider giving Palko another start after the first 2 games. I know he got the offense moving pretty well, but it doesn't matter how many yards you get if you are likely to turn the ball over before you reach the end zone.

Do you think Orton should start against the Bears? I do. Do you think Orton will start against the Bears? I'm not so sure.

I hate to compare anything to the Raiders but I can see us having a game like they did. Palko turns the ball over in the 1st quarter and Haley takes it, then in the 2nd quarter Palko does it again and we put Orton in. Orton is rusty and doesn't know our playbook and it continues but by the end of the game Orton is our new starting QB.

I just don't see how Haley can stand behind Palko anymore after watching the past two game.

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I just found this story in the ChiefsCrowd Chiefs news feeds forum: Kyle Orton will split reps in practice with Tyler Palko - NFL - Yahoo! Sports. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111130_kyle_orton_will_split_reps_in_practice_wi th_tyler_palko)

a disturbing quote:

“Tyler is our starter,” Haley said in a conference call with Chicago media. “We’ve gotta get Kyle ready to play and he might have to play, he might not."Haley goes on to say that the Chiefs will do whatever gives them the best chance to win. Doesn't starting Orton do that?

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I hate to compare anything to the Raiders but I can see us having a game like they did. Palko turns the ball over in the 1st quarter and Haley takes it, then in the 2nd quarter Palko does it again and we put Orton in. Orton is rusty and doesn't know our playbook and it continues but by the end of the game Orton is our new starting QB.
Me too, especially against the Bears whose defense is built around forcing turnovers and Palko doesn't need much "forcing" at all. The difference is that Orton will at least have a full week to practice and we already know that Palko is turnover prone. Palmer only had 2 days to practice and the Raiders hadn't been starting Boller for 2 games already to see how bad he would be.

I just don't see how Haley can stand behind Palko anymore after watching the past two game.

Neither do I. There are only 5 games left and desperate times call for drastic moves. Our only hope is that Orton looks SO good in practice that by the end of the week, Haley decides to start him.

pojote
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
What Haley says and Haley does are two different things. Suddenly he may change his mind on Sunday morning.

dietsch
11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
If Haley wants to keep his job, I would think Orton would have be the starter. We cannot have Palko start another game.

chief31
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I am alright with it.

Palko has made a lot of very ugly mistakes in his two games. But, if Orton is not ready, then you go with the guy who is.

Either way, I am just very hopeful that whoever starts does a good job.

Chiefster
11-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes and Yes.

I think Orton should start, and I think Palko will start.

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes and Yes.

Me too. If Orton only comes in because Palko is struggling, we are in trouble. Why dig a hole for him to have to try and climb out of? If Orton starts, he may still dig his own hole, but he might not. At least give him the chance to sink or swim.

[sidebar: this is weird for me to talk about, because I really want the Bears to win this game. They are my favorite team and they still have a good chance of making the playoffs. But I still love the Chiefs and I want them to do whatever they can to put themselves in the best position to win.]

Another thing to consider is the emotional factor. Orton wouldn't be just facing a good team; he would be facing the team that traded him for Jay Cutler to the team that released him for Tim Tebow! Can you imagine the extra motivation he would have to show the Bears what a big mistake they made? I think in spite of having little time to practice and little chance of winning, he would put in an amazing performance against the Bears.

And I'd like to see that.

Seek
11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Aren't we playing DA Bears.... Wouldn't you think this may be a strategic move to keep the Da Bears guessing who will start so that their defense is guessing on how to prepare.

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Aren't we playing DA Bears.... Wouldn't you think this may be a strategic move to keep the Da Bears guessing who will start so that their defense is guessing on how to prepare.
That's possible, but I don't think Daaaa Bearse would prepare for Orton much differently than they prepare for Palko. And they know Orton pretty well having had him on their team for several years.

Maybe Haley thinks Palko will have the advantage of being less familiar to the Bears defense than Orton would be and that would give Palko a slight edge.

If that is what he is thinking, then he is just grasping at straws, IMO.

Vandelay
11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Palko sucks. No more of him please.

chief31
11-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Another thing to consider is the emotional factor. Orton wouldn't be just facing a good team; he would be facing the team that traded him for Jay Cutler to the team that released him for Tim Tebow! Can you imagine the extra motivation he would have to show the Bears what a big mistake they made? I think in spite of having little time to practice and little chance of winning, he would put in an amazing performance against the Bears.

Well, there is an opposite effect to consider as well...

If Orton really did want to go to The Bears before we claimed him, then one might have to consider the reverse emotional effect.

Even if not intentionally, it is possible that Orton could have a soft spot for the team he wants to play for.

And, being brand new to The Chiefs' offense, plus a familiarity with the Bears' defense, it would be very easy to make excuses for yourself if you did, intentionally, or unintentionally, make an avoidable "mistake".

I like Kyle Orton. But I am just fine with giving an extra week to get prepared.

Perhaps Palko can be a bit more "safe" with the offense. And, if not, then Orton will get a chance.

Canada
11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
I would rather see Stanzi start over Palko. He cant be any worse!!

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, there is an opposite effect to consider as well...

If Orton really did want to go to The Bears before we claimed him, then one might have to consider the reverse emotional effect.

Even if not intentionally, it is possible that Orton could have a soft spot for the team he wants to play for.
You make a very good point that I hadn't considered. He would also be reuniting with many good friends that he played with who are still on the team which could be a distraction for him. Still if I were him I would want to show off and look good in front of my "friends." I wouldn't show them any mercy just because I like them. Sports is sports and you try your best to win no matter who you are playing..

It's a very complicated situation ...

chief31
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
You make a very good point that I hadn't considered. He would also be reuniting with many good friends that he played with who are still on the team which could be a distraction for him. Still if I were him I would want to show off and look good in front of my "friends." I wouldn't show them any mercy just because I like them. Sports is sports and you try your best to win no matter who you are playing..

It's a very complicated situation ...

I wouldn't mind seeing rotation QBs out there.

Start with Palko, and just throw Orton out there every so often with the plays he feels most comfortable with.

It could give us a slight edge, even just having Orton come in and hand it off, the change of QBs would be an attention grabber, and could affect the defensive players, as well as the play-callers.

Say we have a second and four, we send Orton out there....

Knowing of Palko's troubles throwing long, the obvious reaction would be to lean your defense toward the passing game, and a simple hand-off might find a little extra room.

But, unless Palko is as bad as he was last game, and we do not replace him, I am not likely to be too upset with whatever we do at the QB position this week.

Ryfo18
11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm going to be at the game, so I just want a quarterback that is going to deliver a win...And if Orton isn't ready, I hope the defense is ready to score 3-4 touchdowns.

70 chiefsfan70
11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm going to be at the game, so I just want a quarterback that is going to deliver a win...And if Orton isn't ready, I hope the defense is ready to score 3-4 touchdowns.

You heard it here first, DJ and Flowers will both score a pick.:chiefs:

matthewschiefs
11-30-2011, 09:19 PM

THIS

7 turnovers in 2 games. Can't get much worse even from a rookie qb.

70 chiefsfan70
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
THIS

7 turnovers in 2 games. Can't get much worse even from a rookie qb.

And 0 touchdowns, wow thats even worst then I remembered.

2010chiefs
11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah. If Haley doesn't hear are Roar now. I think he's deaf and he needs to go! Start Orton or Stanzi for christ sake! I'm sick of his experiments allready!

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 10:32 PM
And 0 touchdowns, wow thats even worst then I remembered.
Yeah, no kidding. I heard (if I remember right) that the Chiefs have scored one TD in their last 45 offensive possessions and have failed to reach the end zone in their last 27 possessions. And yet, the offense has actually looked better the last two games. How sad is that?

Chiefster
11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Me too. If Orton only comes in because Palko is struggling, we are in trouble. Why dig a hole for him to have to try and climb out of? If Orton starts, he may still dig his own hole, but he might not. At least give him the chance to sink or swim.

[sidebar: this is weird for me to talk about, because I really want the Bears to win this game. They are my favorite team and they still have a good chance of making the playoffs. But I still love the Chiefs and I want them to do whatever they can to put themselves in the best position to win.]

Two things: it stinks to have two favorite NFL teams who play each other. Thank goodness that one is in the NFC and the other in the AFC and they don't meet every year.

Next, I would think that perhaps Orton would have two dates marked on his calender. The first is this Sunday, the second is the Sunday of week 17.

tornadospotter
11-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes and Yes.

Nicely said, the post turtle.
:lol:
I agree with starting Palko. Yes I would also like to see Stanzie. Orton can not be ready to play, he has not had time to learn or develop a feel for the offense.

TopekaRoy
11-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Two things: it stinks to have two favorite NFL teams who play each other. Thank goodness that one is in the NFC and the other in the AFC and they don't meet every year. Yeah, lol. Fortunately for me the Bears and Chiefs only play each other once every four years so I can root 100% for both teams 63 out of every 64 games! Before the season started and the Chiefs were decimated by injuries I was kind of hoping to see a Bears/Chiefs Superbowl. Not too farfetched when you consider that both teams made the playoffs last year. My Bears still have a shot, but now that Cutler is out it will be much tougher. Hopefully he can get back and still be effective in time for the playoffs. Even if he hadn't gotten hurt, I don't see anybody getting past the Packers, this year. I knew they would be good, nut it kills me to see them this good.

Next, I would think that perhaps Orton would have two dates marked on his calender. The first is this Sunday, the second is the Sunday of week 17.
Absolutely. And if the Chiefs keep him he will have at least 2 games circled next year, too!

okikcfan
12-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Ah, don't say that Canada because it could be alot worse.

tornadospotter
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Ah, don't say that Canada because it could be alot worse.
It Could? I looked at you tube vids of Stanzi, He looks good as a College level QB. Have not found much on Palko yet. But I do stand by my opinion, Palko should start.

Canada
12-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Ah, don't say that Canada because it could be alot worse.How? We have 1 TD and 7 turnovers in 2 games. How much worse can Stanzi be?

ctchiefsfan
12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
The possibility of Palko starting makes me want to puke.

If Haley honestly feels Orton isn't ready then I say start Stanzi. Another 4 turnover game would be more than I can take.

OPLookn
12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
How? We have 1 TD and 7 turnovers in 2 games. How much worse can Stanzi be?

0 TD's and 7 turnovers in 2 games? I guess technically that's worse but I agree with you. Stanzi can't really look any worse than Palko.

On a side note I wonder if anyone has started cheering for Shane Falco from The Replacements yet.

josh1971
12-01-2011, 10:46 AM
0 TD's and 7 turnovers in 2 games? I guess technically that's worse but I agree with you. Stanzi can't really look any worse than Palko.

On a side note I wonder if anyone has started cheering for Shane Falco from The Replacements yet.

Footsteps Falco! :bananen_smilies046:

We haven't scored a TD with Palko starting, so we're safe to say it couldn't get much worse.

pojote
12-01-2011, 11:22 AM
It can't get worse. Pats game we probably lose with any QB in our roster. Steelers game, it's another story. Palko blew it, plain and simple. 0-2, no chance to win with this Palko leaded offense. Maybe we can get another no chance to win with a Stanzi leaded offense, so it can't get worse.

Seek
12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Many think that Haley knows he is already fired. This is his Finger gester move to Pioli for not getting him help at other postions and is not sitting Orton intentionally.

The only other excuse is for smoke screen.

kcvet
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
either way by hook or crook we gotta get the ball over the goal line. has long has it been???

OPLookn
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Many think that Haley knows he is already fired. This is his Finger gester move to Pioli for not getting him help at other postions and is not sitting Orton intentionally.

Meh, I'd say that's just a rumor, if Haley is fired after this game then maybe. No coach is intentionally going to try to lose, there is no greater firing offense. Not only that but Pioli isn't stupid and he sure won't put up with a stunt like that.

I think Haley's just trying to make Daaaa Bearse guess with them thinking that Orton more than likely will start. Palko has given Haley zero reasons to start and seven reasons to be replaced. Unfortunately, my guess is we see Palko for one drive or til his first turnover and then Orton comes in.

Canada
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM

I would take Keanu reeves right now.

josh1971
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I would take Keanu reeves right now.

He knows kung fu...

ctchiefsfan
12-01-2011, 07:16 PM

I can't buy into that notion at all. I just don't find it believable.

josh1971
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM

I buy smoke screen- the other sounds like conspiracy theory.

kcvet
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
the Jags fired their HC Del Rio and will sell the franchise

also the vikes released McNabb. he's up for grabs

arrowslinger
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
The comment on the 670 boneheads drew my attention and made me want to comment. First of all I am a football fan tend to be a more Packers/Panthers fan :)

I despise the 670 talking heads, they make excuses, whine, and generally speak as if the Bears (no matter what or record) can do no wrong. Every win this year morning afters and all day on the station superbowl is mentioned, truly makes me ill.

After the Raider loss hell you would think they won the game? No blasting hanie, martz, lovie etc. they simply moved into looking over the Chiefs and Broncos.

These media dunder heads here have made me hate the Bears with all the idiotic "how good we are" for the past six years.

The Palko/Tebow jokes and all day yuck yuck on just how the Bears can not lose makes me want to drive off the road :drunkhb: I mean just how many times a day can one take jerkioff yelling "Devin Hester you are ....." ugh I cant make myself type it :beat_DeadHorse:

I am pulling for you guys this week as a chiefs :sign0104:

TopekaRoy
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
the Jags fired their HC Del Rio and will sell the franchise

also the vikes released McNabb. he's up for grabs

There's another unemployed QB who wants to pay for the Bears. Je grew up in Chicago and played high school football there. He's a 5 time Pro Bowl mobile QB with a strong arm and lots of experience.

The only problem is he is no longer mobile, wildly inaccurate, can't run a 2 minute offense, doesn't practice well and couldn't beat out Painter for the starting job.

I think I'd pass on him.

Vandelay
12-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Are you ready to see more of Tyler Palko?

No. No I'm not.

Chiefster
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
He knows kung fu...

...And, a couple other Asian words. :D

TopekaRoy
12-02-2011, 04:45 AM
The comment on the 670 boneheads drew my attention and made me want to comment. First of all I am a football fan tend to be a more Packers/Panthers fan :)

I despise the 670 talking heads, they make excuses, whine, and generally speak as if the Bears (no matter what or record) can do no wrong. Every win this year morning afters and all day on the station superbowl is mentioned, truly makes me ill.

After the Raider loss hell you would think they won the game? No blasting hanie, martz, lovie etc. they simply moved into looking over the Chiefs and Broncos.

These media dunder heads here have made me hate the Bears with all the idiotic "how good we are" for the past six years.

The Palko/Tebow jokes and all day yuck yuck on just how the Bears can not lose makes me want to drive off the road :drunkhb: I mean just how many times a day can one take jerkioff yelling "Devin Hester you are ....." ugh I cant make myself type it :beat_DeadHorse:

First of all, welcome the The ChiefsCrowd.com forum.

Wow! From your post it sounds like you listen to the score a lot, especially for someone who hates the station. As a Packers fan, you might enjoy listening to this station with a block of cheese on your head a lot more: WDUZ-FM - The Fan 107.5 FM Green Bay, WI - Listen Online (http://tunein.com/radio/The-Fan-1075-s24086/)

I also listen to The Score quite a bit, but not really for in depth sports analysis, mostly for updates on Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks news and a few laughs. I, too get tired of especially Boers and Bernstein making fun of Tebow thanking God every time the Donkeys win and they have a tendency to resort to low-brow "potty humor" a bit too much for my taste, but for the most part they are pretty entertaining. I've heard plenty of them picking against the Bears this year, however, especially when they played the Falcons, Saints, Packers, Lions (the first time) and they split about 50/50 on the Bucs game. Some of them were also saying they had a bad feeling about the Chargers, that it looked like a "trap" game. That's 6 out of 11 games this year that they weren't all picking the Bears.

Of course, they are going to talk up the Bears and put down their opponents, especially the Packers; they are a Chicago radio station and want to appeal to their fan base, but I've heard plenty of objectivity as well. And let's face it, Devin Hester is amazing!

I'm not going to try to defend the entire station. They appeal to a certain audience that you obviously aren't a part of. My advice would be if you don't like the station, then don't listen to it.

I'm not sure if you are a Chiefs fan or if you just root for any team that is playing the Bears. Based on the timing of your first post here, I would suspect the latter. but if you are a Chiefs fan I hope you stick around and share your thoughts about the team. Newbies are always welcome here.

PS: even though I'm a Bears fan, I'm also rooting for the Packers, this week. We need the Lions to lose and it would be so much fun to hand the packers their first loss this year. (or 2nd if the Chiefs beat us to it):D

arrowslinger
12-02-2011, 06:48 PM
You are right I listen to much but driving here a lot not much more on the dial and espn 1000 aint quite as bad :smile

As I said I am a football fan and watch all the games throughout the season that are televised. I was a big Chiefs fan the year Montana was traded and then slipped back into falcons fandom :) I like underdogs and also would like to see the Packers go back to the super bowl this year. I am not on the go undefeated bandwagon, I feel better players should be rested once the division has been clinched.

BTW what is up with your radio/tv? Guy today telling (I think he was on the score?) saying "I will be surprised if the Chiefs get in the end zone?" Is this simply because of Palko?

Chiefster
12-02-2011, 09:22 PM

It is for that reason I don't listen to any of those guys; they're drinkin Drano.

Welcome to the Crowd! :bananen_smilies046:

Bike
12-02-2011, 09:39 PM

No.....

Vandelay
12-03-2011, 11:18 AM

No.....

No: Shooter McGavin in "Happy Gilmore" - YouTube

TopekaRoy
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
BTW what is up with your radio/tv? Guy today telling (I think he was on the score?) saying "I will be surprised if the Chiefs get in the end zone?" Is this simply because of Palko?
My guess is he said that because the Chiefs have only gotten in the end zone once in their last 4 games and that was when they still had Cassel. The Bears do have a pretty good defense.

70 chiefsfan70
12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
My guess is he said that because the Chiefs have only gotten in the end zone once in their last 4 games and that was when they still had Cassel. The Bears do have a pretty good defense.

That sucks just as bad to hear as it did to watch those games. In this case I can't handle the truth.

Just a :sign0178: in the road i'm hoping. But it feels like a valcano that has errupted under us and we are searching for the pieces.