PDA

View Full Version : Trade Value of Matt Cassel

jap1
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
So, I want to pose a hypothetical question. How much do you think we can get by trading Matt Cassel? Now I am not a Cassel hater. I know he is no Aaron Rodgers or even Eli Manning, but I think if he is given a GOOD offensive line, he could lead this team deep into the playoffs.

I ask this question, because the only scenario where it would make sense to me to draft a QB in the first round were if we were to trade away Matt Cassel would be if we were to receive a 1st round draft pick, or a young pro-bowl caliber OT, ILB, NT.

If we were able to get an OT for Matt Cassel (either a direct trade or via a 1st round draft pick) then I would understand picking up a young QB in the draft.

josh1971
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't know what his trade value is, but I highly doubt we're going to trade him.

I would like to see us enter camp next year with Cassell, Orton, and Stanzi. Let the battle begin!

figcrostic
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking he's a high second round pick to maybe a low first round pick level.

Vandelay
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't think we would do much better than a third rounder.

matthewschiefs
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I would say 4th or 5th rounder. Someone would want him to be backup at least.

TopekaRoy
12-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Considering only 3 teams were willing to claim Orton off waivers (and Dallas just did it to mess with the Bears) I don't think Cassel would get more than a 2nd or third, especially with his large contracr,

That's not to say he isn't a decent QB, but high draft picks are usually overvalued based on what teams could get with them, compared to what they usually do get with them.

GarH
12-04-2011, 11:48 PM
His contract would make his trade value pretty low I think.

Chiefs fanatic
12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
This year's draft has a strong QB class so I think his trade value would be fairly low.

AussieChiefsFan
12-05-2011, 12:27 AM
So, I want to pose a hypothetical question. How much do you think we can get by trading Matt Cassel? Now I am not a Cassel hater. I know he is no Aaron Rodgers or even Eli Manning, but I think if he is given a GOOD offensive line, he could lead this team deep into the playoffs.

I ask this question, because the only scenario where it would make sense to me to draft a QB in the first round were if we were to trade away Matt Cassel would be if we were to receive a 1st round draft pick, or a young pro-bowl caliber OT, ILB, NT.

If we were able to get an OT for Matt Cassel (either a direct trade or via a 1st round draft pick) then I would understand picking up a young QB in the draft.
I suppose if we could pick up a 1st round pick then it might be worth it but I doubt we'd get what he's worth to this team, from the other team.

jap1
12-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Considering only 3 teams were willing to claim Orton off waivers (and Dallas just did it to mess with the Bears) I don't think Cassel would get more than a 2nd or third, especially with his large contracr,

That's not to say he isn't a decent QB, but high draft picks are usually overvalued based on what teams could get with them, compared to what they usually do get with them.

I dont think you can judge who put in a waiver request this late in the season as who wants a QB. Teams like Washington, Jacksonville, Miami, Seattle, Denver (if Elway has his way) could all use an upgrade over their current QB situation, but wouldnt consider picking up Orton only for the last few weeks of the season.
The teams that usually put in waiver requests for a QB are teams that are competitive in their divisions lost a QB and need better player to stay competitive and to possibly compete in the playoffs.

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Think the highest we could get would be a 2nd rounder (which wouldn't be bad because we spent a 2nd rounder on him and vrabel). But wouldn't be opposed to landing a 3rd and a decent player packaged together....

Not sure if everyone has forgot, but Orton is a restricted FA, so we will gain whatever compensation we place on him (Probably a 2nd or 3rd as well) if he signs with another team.

My bet is that if they plan on drafting a QB, they place the tender on Orton, and talk with teams about both Orton and Cassel. This would give them options to gain an extra draft pick, and basically take whichever QB isn't dealt away into training camp to compete with the new guy. (Would love this scenario)

#58ChiefsFan
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
What has Cassel done to not be given a chance to compete for the starting job here next year? We have not seen Orton play yet and while it would be nice if he came in and was successful it is still unknown.

Trading Cassel prior to the 2012 season would be the biggest mistake the organization could make.

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 11:22 AM
What has Cassel done to not be given a chance to compete for the starting job here next year? We have not seen Orton play yet and while it would be nice if he came in and was successful it is still unknown.

Trading Cassel prior to the 2012 season would be the biggest mistake the organization could make.

If he is here I think he should have the opportunity to compete. But since his injury it has shown me that Our-line is taking a lot of heat for Cassel's inability to move around in the pocket, holding onto the ball too long, and taking to long to make his decisions. Which Is why I think we need to look at adding a more naturally athletic QB.

I used to be a Cassel supporter, but his injury has proven more to me that we need help at the position (regardless of if he is here or not) I think he is a great guy/leader, but just doesn't have the "it" factor, decision making skills, and natural athletic ability to take us to that next level.

Just some stats for thought:

Cassel: 29.9 attempts/game, 59% completion, 190yds/game (3rd lowest in NFL), with a QBR of 76.6 (24th overall or 8th lowest in NFL along the likes of QB's such as Curtis Painter, Tarvaris Jackson, Rex Grossman, Baline Gabbert, and Christian Ponder.)

Matt Shaub: 29.2 attempts/game, 61% completion, 247 yds/game, 96.8 QBR

Other QB's averaging only 4 more attempts per game than Cassel (34)

Aaron Rogers: 70% completion, 320 yds/gm, 125 QBR

Big Ben: 64% Completion, 270 yds/gm, 93.6 QBR

Cam Newton: 61% completion, 274 yds/gm, 82.4 QBR

I like Cassel.....I'm just not sure he is our answer at QB....

jap1
12-05-2011, 05:49 PM

I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to pose the question since so many people want to give up on Cassel. I was wondering what they think we could get if we did move on.

hometeam
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Cassel has little to no trade value.

if anything he is worth a 5th or 6th rounder at best.

Trade value is a simple logical deduction. If you where another team, what would YOU give for Cassel? Not much, especially with nice depth coming up in the draft this year.

Chiefster
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Cassel has little to no trade value.

if anything he is worth a 5th or 6th rounder at best.

Trade value is a simple logical deduction. If you where another team, what would YOU give for Cassel? Not much, especially with nice depth coming up in the draft this year.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Coach
12-05-2011, 10:56 PM
3rd rd pick. If the trade deadline hadn't passed, we could get a 2nd round out of chicago or houston. But let's be honest, are we really in a spot to be trading away QB's? We currently start one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Chiefster
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
3rd rd pick. If the trade deadline hadn't passed, we could get a 2nd round out of chicago or houston. But let's be honest, are we really in a spot to be trading away QB's? We currently start one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Good point.