PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rush? What Pass Rush?

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to post a positive note about the Defensive side of the ball....

In week 11, the Chiefs were at the bottom of the league in the sacks department with I think 9... Since then

10 Sacks in last 3 weeks
4 Int's in last 3 weeks
3 FF's in last 3 weeks

And the pressure has been outstanding, guys like Amon Gordon, and Wallace Gillberry have shown up. And JUSTIN HOUSTON!!! WOW this dude has played lights out the last 3 weeks, he is all over the field, and became and every down OLB. He not only has begun to provide a good pass rush opposite Hali, he is all over the field. While watching the games, I think I could honestly say I see his jersey around the play at least 80% of the time.

He is always in the mix, and looks to be what we are missing on D!

I think with the young Core talent we have on D, we are at a point to where just 1 or 2 FA talents (already proven) away from being a nasty defense! (continue to build through the draft, but I think now is the time to look to adding those difference makers through FA.)

#58ChiefsFan
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Pioli is still making good decisions in spite of what I want in the short term. With what we have left of our team to play the Pats, Steelers and the Bears D the way we have is impressive. I hope he does add some FA not only to the D but the O as well.

OPLookn
12-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Not to mention for Da Bearse game we had 52 tackles. Ten of those were for a loss. Three interceptions (one was at the end of the game in a jump ball situation) and seven sacks...I'll say that again, seven sacks in ONE game.

Of those sacks three are from our rookie Justin Houston, one from Derick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Tyson Jackson and John McGraw.

Of the ten tackles for losses Houston had three, both Derick Johnson and Tyson Jackson had two and then Hali, Belcher and McGraw had one. Just an absolute monster of a game from our D!

I have to say they looked inspired and I have to say I can understand why. Coming out of the tunnel for the second half and seeing us in the lead would light a fire under my butt too. Then tacking on a field goal and knowing that one score that you can prevent would give the entire team the win. Heck yeah that's inspiration.

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
As I had said in the first post, I of course still want to draft defensive players in order to develop them, and sustain our defense for years to come, but along with that I do feel like with the young core group of defensive talent we have, it is the perfect time to add let's say 2 deference makers via free agency that can come in and produce right away.

3 player's I would love to see us get:

Curtis Lofton ILB from Atlanta. I like Belcher and his story and feel like he has been a diamond in the rough for us, but could only imagine if Lofton lined up next to DJ. With the improved play of Houston, we could now consider our lB corps among the best in the league! Belcher, would still play a pivitol role for us rotating at ILB.

Calias Cample DE from Arizona. Knows Haley through his days in Arizona, is not considered an "Elite" DE so he may not warrant an outrageous paycheck, but is big enough to play the 3-4 DE in our system. Would be able to take Jackson's place (and rotate) and improve our pass rush. Plus the dude is a BEAST (6'8" 300lbs)

And finally we need Safety Depth....

So I'm thinking Brandon Merriweather. Has the history with Pioli, has starting experience, and a pro bowl season. Would probably be willing to take a rotational/ backup role to Kendrick Lewis, as he is in this situation in Chicago now. After being let go by New England, and now not starting in Chicago, shouldn't require much cash to bring him in, and will provide a better option at safety than any other backup currently on our roster.

just some thoughts....

Coach
12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Nothing would help our defense more than a better offense. Nothing would help our offense more than offensive line help. My vote is to get the best tackle on the board. Move him to right or left tackle. Depending I if he can beat out branden for the starting lt spot.

azchiefsfan
12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
My thinking exactly. Every facet of our team would be instantly upgraded by shoring up the OL. In every game this year our D has played well in the first half, but just got worn out from being on the field too long. Just having our offense on the field 10 minutes more a game would make all the difference in the world.

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Nothing would help our defense more than a better offense. Nothing would help our offense more than offensive line help. My vote is to get the best tackle on the board. Move him to right or left tackle. Depending I if he can beat out branden for the starting lt spot.

I agree that we need to upgrade the o-line, but I have mentioned many times before on the forum that my thoughts have changed since the Cassel Injury.

I was a believer/supporter of Cassel, but since his injury have came to the conclusion that I'm not so sure our O-line is as absolutely horrible as we all make it out to be.

I've mentioned that since Palko has been starting (although accuracy, and arm strength are issues) he is more naturally athletic than Cassel, and his mobility allows him to move up and around in the pock when any pressure is felt (Only 1 sack gave up against a Pittsburgh D that is one of the best in the league when it comes to pressuring the QB). Although the lack of points with Palko and Int's has been an issue with him, it does seem like our Offense has moved the ball or gotten off to faster starts than it did with Cassel. I have realized that Cassel take's too much time to make his decisions, and does not have the pocket awareness to move up when the pocket flows past him (causing him to get flustered, and take sacks)

I do think we need to upgrade our O-line, But, I have begun to realize that it is time for us to find an athletic QB that can avoid pressure, and help our O-line. I think we can find O-lineman in rounds 2-5 that can make impacts, and improve our protection (a la Rodney Hudson, & Jon Asamoah, not to mention what may turn out with Mims who was un-drafted)

Chiefster
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM

...Can a brother get an AMEN!

matthewschiefs
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
The pass rush has improved big time Houston has been really good. I have also been seeing more and more of Bailey and have liked what I have seen so far. I think many underrated our draft class. There are a few rookies that are starting to show what they can do and that's great for this team

Jrudi
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
The pass rush has improved big time Houston has been really good. I have also been seeing more and more of Bailey and have liked what I have seen so far. I think many underrated our draft class. There are a few rookies that are starting to show what they can do and that's great for this team

I knew there was someone I forgot to mention when I started the thread...My apologies to Mr. Bailey haha

wolfpack
12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
It also seems romeo finally decided to blitz more. And they seem tobe alot more aggresive on the defense.
This is all good. To bad it took most of the year to figure it out.

chief31
12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
As I had said in the first post, I of course still want to draft defensive players in order to develop them, and sustain our defense for years to come, but along with that I do feel like with the young core group of defensive talent we have, it is the perfect time to add let's say 2 deference makers via free agency that can come in and produce right away.

3 player's I would love to see us get:

Curtis Lofton ILB from Atlanta. I like Belcher and his story and feel like he has been a diamond in the rough for us, but could only imagine if Lofton lined up next to DJ. With the improved play of Houston, we could now consider our lB corps among the best in the league! Belcher, would still play a pivitol role for us rotating at ILB.

Calias Cample DE from Arizona. Knows Haley through his days in Arizona, is not considered an "Elite" DE so he may not warrant an outrageous paycheck, but is big enough to play the 3-4 DE in our system. Would be able to take Jackson's place (and rotate) and improve our pass rush. Plus the dude is a BEAST (6'8" 300lbs)

And finally we need Safety Depth....

So I'm thinking Brandon Merriweather. Has the history with Pioli, has starting experience, and a pro bowl season. Would probably be willing to take a rotational/ backup role to Kendrick Lewis, as he is in this situation in Chicago now. After being let go by New England, and now not starting in Chicago, shouldn't require much cash to bring him in, and will provide a better option at safety than any other backup currently on our roster.

just some thoughts....

The additions of Siler and Berry would just about cover all of that.

Our depth at Safety has become top-notch.

McGraw, Piscatelli and Washington have stepped up big time. And McGraw would be a viable starter, if Berry were not returning.

I think consistency is all that is missing from this defense, especially if Justin Houston continues to perform.

The only position I would be worried about might be NT. Gregg is ok. But I would really like to find out what Powe has to offer.

Not that I am advocating neglecting the defense, come draft time, but I would seriously be working hard to make the offense my top priority.

Agreed.

I would even try real hard to move up to get that guy.

The absence of JC this season has forced our o-line to learn how to run block for mere mortal RBs, and they have had to deal with a pass rush that was not slowed by the threat of Charles making them look silly.

And they have actually looked pretty good, as a pass-protecting unit, for five of the last seven games.

I see so much promise in this team, as most are ready to throw the whole thing out and start over.

I sure hope that Pioli sees what I am seeing.

Get that LOT and, if he isn't ready to knock Albert out of his way immediately, then start him at ROT until he is.

Either way, getting Richardson out of the starting line-up would be a very good thing.

AussieChiefsFan
12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
This D really IS shaping up. Cant wait till next season when the O has some of its weapons back

josh1971
12-06-2011, 05:17 AM

And look what happens- when they have to start making adjustments for Hali and Houston, guys like Tyson and others end up getting sacks as well.

I agree with Coach- our main deficiency is O-line.

drstandley31
12-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Soooo, is the general feeling that Haley's stays? Or our DC finally got this squad going in the right direction and we still need changes at head coach? Just asking.

josh1971
12-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Haley has one year left on his contract- I'm totally cool with him coming back for at least that. It will do more damage to the team's progress to get rid of him and start all over with a new coaching staff.

matthewschiefs
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I knew there was someone I forgot to mention when I started the thread...My apologies to Mr. Bailey haha

Bailey is still very new. I was watching the Steelers game with a friend of mine and I told him I don't no where this Bailey guy came from but I want to see more of him. He's been playing really well Hopefully he can keep it up.

matthewschiefs
12-07-2011, 01:10 PM
And look what happens- when they have to start making adjustments for Hali and Houston, guys like Tyson and others end up getting sacks as well.

I agree with Coach- our main deficiency is O-line.

Yeah If Tyson can keep playing like he did Sunday then I think we can finally stop looking at him like he's a bust. I noticed him a couple of times on Sunday. He's had good games before but has never been able to keep it up. Hopefully he can start to play at a high level every week.

Chiefster
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
This D really IS shaping up. Cant wait till next season when the O has some of its weapons back

The problem in years past is that we can never seem to get the "D" and the "O" to play well at the same time.

chief31
12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah If Tyson can keep playing like he did Sunday then I think we can finally stop looking at him like he's a bust. I noticed him a couple of times on Sunday. He's had good games before but has never been able to keep it up. Hopefully he can start to play at a high level every week.

I think he has been a monster almost all year.

Even when we played The Broncos, and they ran on us like a faucet, the front was still tough.

Basically, you are not supposed to notice a 3-4 DE. You are supposed to notice the LBs, because the DEs are making it possible for them to make plays.

And, I think most would agree, that our LBing crew has been awfully good, for the most part.

I think that Jackson and Dorsey have been excellent in 2011.

70 chiefsfan70
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Even when we played The Broncos, and they ran on us like a faucet, the front was still tough.

Basically, you are not supposed to notice a 3-4 DE. You are supposed to notice the LBs, because the DEs are making it possible for them to make plays.

And, I think most would agree, that our LBing crew has been awfully good, for the most part.

Very true!! Many here don't realize that. Its just a bonus if the front 3 get a sack.

matthewschiefs
12-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Well I don't think I would say that he's a monster but I have never been one to think he's been bad like others or even a bust. He's been Ok to good. But since he was taken so high in the draft he is expected to be great. I don't think he's been as good as Pioli and Haley thought that he would when they drafted him but part of that is the people around him as well. If They are able to upgrade the talent around him he will look better and better. You can never have to much pass rush.

TopekaRoy
12-07-2011, 08:20 PM

I'm just guessing here but is it possible that the reason the defense wasn't getting a lot of sacks until recently is because the LBs had to drop in to pass coverage more, because McGraw and Sabby needed help? Now that they are playing a lot better with the added playing time and experience, It looks like we are blitzing more and the combination of added pressure and better pass coverage is paying dividends with more sacks.

chief31
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm just guessing here but is it possible that the reason the defense wasn't getting a lot of sacks until recently is because the LBs had to drop in to pass coverage more, because McGraw and Sabby needed help? Now that they are playing a lot better with the added playing time and experience, It looks like we are blitzing more and the combination of added pressure and better pass coverage is paying dividends with more sacks.

That is an excellent observation.

Not that I can say for sure, without watching some of the games again. But I bet there something to that.

70 chiefsfan70
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Well I don't think I would say that he's a monster but I have never been one to think he's been bad like others or even a bust. He's been Ok to good. But since he was taken so high in the draft he is expected to be great. I don't think he's been as good as Pioli and Haley thought that he would when they drafted him but part of that is the people around him as well. If They are able to upgrade the talent around him he will look better and better. You can never have to much pass rush.

If I remember right TJ was expected and valued at the 21 to 26 pick. Pioli and company picked him at 5?? (if I'm right) and some how most expect more out of him because he was picked ahead of his value. (me included).

It is very common to take 2 to 3 years before DE really gets it and turns it on. We should keep in mind he missed several games last year so he is still learning.

You are absolutely correct, better LB's make him look a lot better.

jap1
12-07-2011, 10:53 PM

I didnt think about that. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a little of that. Just another side effect of losing Eric Berry I guess.

Also, I wonder if the last couple of games Crennel/Haley have also decided to go for broke. They may have said look we have to start winning on D, so might as well take some chances. Go big or go home kind of attitude.

TopekaRoy
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I didnt think about that. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a little of that. Just another side effect of losing Eric Berry I guess.

Also, I wonder if the last couple of games Crennel/Haley have also decided to go for broke. They may have said look we have to start winning on D, so might as well take some chances. Go big or go home kind of attitude.
That may be a big part of it too, but if the defensive backs break down then you have a recipe for disaster by sending too much pressure.

I don't know if they decided to send more pressure because the backs are playing better, or if the backs are playing better because the added pressure means they don't have to cover receivers as long, (It's kind of a "chicken and egg" thing) but for whatever reason, it's working.

rodu
12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
How much playing time have our backup NT's gotten? Gregg has been pretty good for us, but he's not going to be around forever