PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Who should be our next head coach thread!

honda522
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I think we should have one thread for all of them.

Who do you think should be and who do you want?

I would like to see Bill Cohwer back here at first choice. As a head coach he is 149901

But if Cohwer can't make it here, then Jeff Fisher would be the ideal man here.He is 146-120 as a head coach, not as good, but he is a pretty respectable head coach in my eyes. The only reason he got fired is cause of the owner wanting this and not that.

texaschief
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
My list starts with Jon Gruden. I think with a new head coach, we'll be taking a QB early in the draft and he does a great job grooming young QBs. Plus, he was in charge of the Raiders when they built their Super Bowl contender, but also has the ability to win the Super Bowl as he did with Tampa. Problem is that he has no ties to Pioli, so I highly doubt he'll be an option.

Next is Brian Billick. He's an offensive minded coach but still allowed a great defensive coordinator in Marvin Lewis the flexibility to draft, build, and develop a dominant 3-4 defense in Baltimore... and WON a Super Bowl with.... wait for it... Trent Dilfer of all people. But, again, doesn't have any Pioli ties and brings more seniority to the franchise than what Pioli has and it's doubtful that Pioli would make this hire either.

Greg Olson is the OC in Tampa and has been grooming Josh Freeman over the last couple years. Olson has built a high-powered offense in Tampa, capable of scoring points in a hurry. He has a reputation for attention to detail, he's highly respected by front office personnel, coaches, and players alike. He's a great motivator and works well with young players like Blount, Freeman, and Williams. I think he'd be the BEST fit here in Kansas City, but again, no Pioli ties... so this hire is unlikely as well.

I'm not excited about McDaniels because he DESTROYED Denver and I'm not excited about Ferentz because his hiring may lead to an overly bias opinion of Ricki Stanzi. I think Pioli knew this Haley firing was coming... regardless of the outcome this season (outside of Super Bowl win). I think he already had Ferentz in mind to be the head coach in 2012, which is why he took Stanzi in the draft.

I don't think Ferentz should be the head coach, but too many things seem to be falling into place on that front. Kirk Ferentz will probably be our next head coach.... it SHOULD be Greg Olson... but it WILL be Kirk Ferentz.

josh1971
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd be ok with Fisher. I doubt we'll lure Ferentz away from Iowa, and I doubt very seriously if Cowher or Gruden is going back to coaching. Unfortunately, having watched about 30 years of Chiefs football, drafts, admin, and such, I suspect we're going to have Coach Josh McDaniels, and that we'll get a

"no, he's REALLY good, he just didn't have the right pieces in place in Denver."

Sick already of hearing his familiarity with Cassell. Great, let's send Matt to St. Louis, then. McDaniels' ability to piss off players, head office, and fans in Denver should be the BIGGEST, RED, FLASHING, WARNING, SIGN, EVER.

My humble opinion :D

texaschief
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I'd be ok with Fisher. I doubt we'll lure Ferentz away from Iowa, and I doubt very seriously if Cowher or Gruden is going back to coaching. Unfortunately, having watched about 30 years of Chiefs football, drafts, admin, and such, I suspect we're going to have Coach Josh McDaniels, and that we'll get a

"no, he's REALLY good, he just didn't have the right pieces in place in Denver."

Sick already of hearing his familiarity with Cassell. Great, let's send Matt to St. Louis, then. McDaniels' ability to piss off players, head office, and fans in Denver should be the BIGGEST, RED, FLASHING, WARNING, SIGN, EVER.

Sounds like a Pioli guy to me...

Hayvern
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I vote for Canada as head coach!

josh1971
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a Pioli guy to me...

Yes, but McDaniels probably DOES know how to use a comb...

Hayvern
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Seriously though, I think there are a number of coaches out there, and I don't think they need to have Pioli ties. Haley had two years with Pioli back in the 90s, and look how that turned out.

Whatever coach comes in here, he has to fit in with Pioli's plans is all, is that McDaniels? I am not sure it is. I think senior level coaches who have been big in the NFL for years are not likely to be on the list though. Meaning as much as I would like Cowher, I don't think he is coming back.

Let me throw out a name, how about Brian Shottenheimer? What about Marty? I saw Marty in the owenr's box with Clark earlier this season.

Paperbag Face
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I know some Jets fans that want to see Brian Schottenheimer lynched.

They could be wrong of course, but it sounds like he could use a little more time in the oven before getting a head coaching gig.

I love Marty, but doubt he's going to return to the NFL.

nicfre2011
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I would like to see Winston Moss interviewed for the position. As I have mentioned previously, he has received several interviews in recent years but hasn't been hired yet. Ron Rivera seemed to be in the same situation for several years. It was reported that the reason Rivera wasn't hired until recently largely because he didn't present himself as well as some front office exexcutives/owners would have liked. It very well could be a personal preparation issue. I don't know if Moss has suffered from the same issues or not.

But if he can show in his interview that he has a clear vision of fielding a consistently competitive team year-in and year-out and has a clear indication of the type of offensive and defensive philosophies as well as being able to articulate that vision along with having a good network of possible coaching staff candidates....I think he has to be considered.

The key for me is if he has had an opportunity in Green Bay to get an overall picture of how to coach a team from the head coach perspective. I don't want a candidate that leans to one side (ex. offensive) and tends to get lost in the details when handling the overall head coach responsibilities. I think that is where Haley failed. I want someone who has a good collection of coaching staff candidates that he feels comfortable with. Basically, let the defensive coordinator run the defense, let the offensive coordinator run the offense...and the head coach makes the whole team work.

That's why I like the idea of Moss being an innovative, motivational leader at the head coach position...and bringing in someone like Tom Clements (current Green Bay quarterback coach) to be the offensive coordinator and Darren Perry (assistant defensive coordinator/safety position coach) to be defensive coordinator.

On the flip side, I also like the idea of having Bill Cowher as head coach. The key for Cowher would be his ability to work with Scott Pioli, but I think both have similar philosophies in building a team. I also think Cowher is much more willing to be reliant on his coaching staff than he is given credit for...so I think he could assemble a strong staff and avoid the pitfalls of micromanaging the coaching responsibilities.

So while I would want Moss to end up being a dynamic hire (ala Mike Tomlin for example), if Moss doesn't seem to be ready yet to handle the head coaching responsibilities, I think Cowher is a very good candidate if he isn't looking for total control. In the end, I don't think Moss or Cowher will be hired and I think Pioli will end up going for someone he has worked with in the past or is very familar with...like possibly Kirk Ferentz...or most likely Josh McDaniels.

chiefnut
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
1st choice Bill Cower
2nd choice Bill Cower
3rd choice Bill Cower

azchiefsfan
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
With Crennel's hard-nosed D, he would mesh with Cowher really well. I think Cowher(even though I despised him when he was coaching for the loathsome Steelers) would be my first pick. My reservation has been and will be how long it took him to have a really good team and win the Super Bowl.

toyotapower
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Brian billick!

nicfre2011
12-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Seriously though, I think there are a number of coaches out there, and I don't think they need to have Pioli ties. Haley had two years with Pioli back in the 90s, and look how that turned out.

Whatever coach comes in here, he has to fit in with Pioli's plans is all, is that McDaniels? I am not sure it is. I think senior level coaches who have been big in the NFL for years are not likely to be on the list though. Meaning as much as I would like Cowher, I don't think he is coming back.

Let me throw out a name, how about Brian Shottenheimer? What about Marty? I saw Marty in the owenr's box with Clark earlier this season.

I get the feeling that as much as I would like Bill Cowher to be a serious candidate, I just don't know that Pioli is going to hire someone with that type of big personality/reputation. And I think Marty falls into the same category. I see Pioli going for someone he knows and has worked with...someone who is more connected to the "Patriot way" like McDaniels...or is very "Patriot-like" in Kirk Ferentz.

texaschief
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Y'all can just put this Bill Cowher stuff to rest. It aint gonna happen. He wants front office power and there's no way Pioli is going to leave New England to come to KC just to end up right back where he was in NE with shared power. That doesn't make ANY sense at all.

... same with Marty Schottenheimer and Jeff Fischer... just stop it. Let those names go... it's not going to happen.

You're looking at Kirk Ferentz, Josh McDaniel, or some other coach with New England ties that is currently off the radar. In fact, don't be shocked if you see Mangini here either. Don't rule out Crennel... although, he doesn't seem to want the responsibilities.

nigeriannightmare
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Jeff Fisher im telling u is the guy.

texaschief
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I get the feeling that as much as I would like Bill Cowher to be a serious candidate, I just don't know that Pioli is going to hire someone with that type of big personality/reputation. And I think Marty falls into the same category. I see Pioli going for someone he knows and has worked with...someone who is more connected to the "Patriot way" like McDaniels...or is very "Patriot-like" in Kirk Ferentz.

Y'all can just put this Bill Cowher stuff to rest. It aint gonna happen. He wants front office power and there's no way Pioli is going to leave New England to come to KC just to end up right back where he was in NE with shared power. That doesn't make ANY sense at all.

... same with Marty Schottenheimer and Jeff Fischer... just stop it. Let those names go... it's not going to happen.

You're looking at Kirk Ferentz, Josh McDaniel, or some other coach with New England ties that is currently off the radar. In fact, don't be shocked if you see Mangini here either. Don't rule out Crennel... although, he doesn't seem to want the responsibilities.

Great minds and all that... :bananen_smilies046:

nigeriannightmare
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Kirk farentz is a terrible game manager ask a hawkeye fan. Mcdaniels may be it but someone within the organization says they talked to fisher in the late summer.

texaschief
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Kirk farentz is a terrible game manager ask a hawkeye fan. Mcdaniels may be it but someone within the organization says they talked to fisher in the late summer.

NEVER will you see me say Ferentz would be a good hire. I'm just saying him and a the few "Pats" guys that I listed are the guys you have to look forward to. I think he'd be a TERRIBLE hire. In fact, I'm struggling to find anyone with Patriot ties that I'd like to be the head coach.

If Hunt wanted to model this franchise after the Steelers, he should have gone and got Steelers personnel. This Patriot bullsh!t is getting old REAL fast.

texaschief
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Mike Mularky... 7 years as the Pittsburgh OC with Cowher... innovated the "Slash" offense with Kordell Stewart. Currently the OC with Atlanta.

You want a good hire... here's another guy to look at... unfortunately, a Steelers guy and not a Pats guy. Seems to me that the only good coach the Patriots can produce is Belichick.

azchiefsfan
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't hate getting Fisher, but he was another of those almost coaches, like Schottaleadheimer. He would come here and we would win 9 games one season and maybe get to the playoffs and then win 4 games the next until after 3 or 4 years of almost being good, he'd get the axe. I think those who think Cowher is not in play may get a big surprise. This next coach is Pioli's last shot before Hunt disassembles the current experiment. Pioli is going to go after the absolute best he can get and right now the top of the current unemployed coach list is Cowher.

nicfre2011
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
NEVER will you see me say Ferentz would be a good hire. I'm just saying him and a the few "Pats" guys that I listed are the guys you have to look forward to. I think he'd be a TERRIBLE hire. In fact, I'm struggling to find anyone with Patriot ties that I'd like to be the head coach.

If Hunt wanted to model this franchise after the Steelers, he should have gone and got Steelers personnel. This Patriot bullsh!t is getting old REAL fast.

+1, definitely agree.

nicfre2011
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Great minds and all that... :bananen_smilies046:

LOL, very true! As long as you agree with me, you are correct! haha!

:smile

texaschief
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
LOL, very true! As long as you agree with me, you are correct! haha!

:smile

I don't mind you stealing my stuff and posting it as your own... I've got 2600 posts to choose from :D

chief31
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM

I sincerely think that The Broncos were just wanting McDaniels out of the way, for John Elway.

That is a pretty interesting notion, right there.

Not too sure how I feel about all of that. But having seen Marty in the booth with Clark, and wearing a Chiefs shirt/jacket, it raises my suspicions.

Especially since I have little doubt that a decision has been made well before now.

With Crennel's hard-nosed D, he would mesh with Cowher really well. I think Cowher(even though I despised him when he was coaching for the loathsome Steelers) would be my first pick. My reservation has been and will be how long it took him to have a really good team and win the Super Bowl.

I really, really doubt that Cowher will be the guy here. But he would definitely be my pick.

He got The Steelers to The Super Bowl in his fourth season, and returned twice, during his tenure.

Not that he is a guarantee of anything. But he has a top-notch track record.

TopekaRoy
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Pioli is going to go after the absolute best he can get and right now the top of the current unemployed coach list is Cowher.

Cowher is not unemployed. He works for CBS and he said as recently as a month and a half ago that he likes it there.

After other NFL (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL) studio shows Sunday buzzed about where CBS' Bill Cowher might coach next year, Cowher squashed the speculation on CBS' pregame show. "I do not plan on coaching next year.I plan on being back in the same seat next year." The ex-Pittsburgh coach, in an interview Sunday, suggested he might stay in TV permanently: "That's a distinct possibility."

Source: USA Today 10/31/2011 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/story/2011-10-30/cbs-bill-cowher/51007744/1)That doesn't mean he absolutely will not coach again, but he gets paid pretty good money to sit in a chair and talk about football. Coaching is a very demanding stressful job. How much more would the Chiefs have to pay Cowher to come back and work that much harder? I don't see Hunt being that generous with the checkbook.

On Fox, Jimmy Johnson (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NFL/Jimmy+Johnson) said for winless Miami to sign Cowher, or ESPN's Jon Gruden, the team would have to come up "with a barrel of cash and the opportunity to get Andrew Luck (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Andrew+Luck)."
I just don't see him coming here no matter how much you guys want it.

jap1
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Brian Schottenheimer is an interesting thought.

Bike
12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Greg Williams is from KC area.

2010chiefs
12-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know if TONY DUNGY has ruled out coaching again??

Miller
12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I am so afraid that we will get someone that is cheap and will not rock the Peoli boat. I hope the Chiefs are not turning into the Royals.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-13-2011, 12:04 AM
I am so afraid that we will get someone that is cheap and will not rock the Peoli boat. I hope the Chiefs are not turning into the Royals.
The royals get respect, the might not be the best baseball team but they aren't the worst

reded
12-13-2011, 08:26 AM
The royals get respect, the might not be the best baseball team but they aren't the worst

Tell that to the empty seats at Kauffmann.

I desperately hope that Clark gets this one right, much like his father did 20some years ago when he hired Marty and we went 101-58-1 and made the playoffs 7 times in 8 years. Oh to relive those glorious years............

tornadospotter
12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I vote for Canada as head coach!
I vote for Canada to be the Beer Man, I will be the head of the beer line.:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I vote Canada to be the kick the players in the butt when they stink it up. :D

reded
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm just casting a line here and seeing if I get any bites since I've held this thought for a few years now.

In my opinion, Peyton Manning knows more about football than any of the coaches currently in the league. Would it or would it not be a good experiment to see if he could be a good coach if his current health problems prevent him from playing again?

nicfre2011
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm just casting a line here and seeing if I get any bites since I've held this thought for a few years now.

In my opinion, Peyton Manning knows more about football than any of the coaches currently in the league. Would it or would it not be a good experiment to see if he could be a good coach if his current health problems prevent him from playing again?

No. I think people are jumping the gun on Peyton being an out-of-the-box head coach. He has shown the ability to understand and successfully operate the offensive system he is familiar with and read the defenses that line up across from him.

But to think that what he has shown on the field as a quarterback automatically translates to the head coach position is a bit premmature.

And to say that he knows more now from a coaching perspective than any current head coach is going a bit too far.

nicfre2011
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Here is my hypothetical scenario, and not necessarily what I think will ultimately be reality...but more if I were GM right now looking for a head coach for the Chiefs (and trying to balance what I think is a "Pioli" reality and what I would like to see happen) :

Bill Cowher
I would contact Bill Cowher and gauge if he has any interest in flying to Kansas City to talk about the current open head coach position. If he is interested in meeting, I would add him to my list.

Kirk Ferentz
I would contact Kirk Ferentz to see if he is possibly interested in speaking about the open position or if he would prefer to remain at Iowa.

Romeo Crennel
I would also add Romeo Crennel to the list as he does have head coaching experience at the NFL level and because he is more familiar with our current roster.

Winston Moss
I would contact the Green Bay Packers and request permission to interview Winston Moss for the open head coaching position.

Jeff Fisher
The word appears to be that Fisher is interested in getting back into coaching in the NFL. I would contact his agent to see if he is interested in coming to Kansas City to talk about the position.

I will say, my preference is for a young, up-and-coming head coach that could serve as our Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton. The idea behind bringing in Winston Moss would be to see if he can clearly articulate his vision as a head coach, and if he can define a clear path of building and maintaining a consistently competitive team. I would also look to see if he has a clear idea of names that he can outline as targets to fill out a coaching staff.

I believe the key for Moss would be if he can show he understands the dynamics of handling overall head coaching responsibilities and if he can show he has a willingness to trust in the coaching staff he assembles without having a tendency to "micro-manage" or second guess his staff.

I would speak to Moss about his relationship with current Green Bay quarterback coach Tom Clements, who I personally feel is an excellent candidate as an offensive coordinator. He has had a chance to work with Mike McCarthy and the dynamic Green Bay offense, and more than likely has had a positive influence on the development of Aaron Rodgers.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like both Kevin Green (currently the outside linebackers coach) and Darren Perry (currently the safety position coach). I do think Green could use some more time as a position coach, but I do think Perry has had an opportunity to work closely with Dom Capers and has certainly been an integral part in the success of the innovative 2-4-5 defensive look that the Packers use as a sub-package.

I would be very interesting in getting Moss's opinion on these coaches and if he feels comfortable contacting them for possible positions on his coaching staff should he be hired.

The reason I like Moss is I think he may be more apt to have a good working relationship with the front office than a more established head coach may be. The key would obviously be how he articulates that in the interviews.

I wouldn't be interested as much in seeing how he does explaining x's and o's, but I would definitely be more interested in seeing how he explains his overall skill set as a planner, organizer, motivator, and personnel leader...how much he understands the daily activities that a head coach will undertake.

Two coaching candidates I would be interested in speaking about with possible head coaching candidates is current Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Davis. He has been on the staff since 2003, and as such has atleast a working relationship and familiarity with Bill Cowher. I think by all appearances he has done an excellent job working with the linebackers, both the veterans, and helping the younger players develop and make an impact. I would definitely bring is name up when talking to Bill Cowher as a possible defensive coordinator...and could be a candidate for someone like Moss should Darren Perry turn down an offer to be interviewed for the position.

Another name I would be very interested in for any new staff is current Iowa Hawkeyes offensive line coach Reese Morgan. Iowa has become known for developing offensive linemen who tend to be much further along as far as technique goes than most college offensive linemen. I think he has to be given credit for giving them a good foundation of fundamentals and technique as not many Iowa linmen have top-tier raw athletic ability, but as mentioned are usually fairly advances on fundamentals and technique.

My goal with any head coaching candidate would be to gauge how they feel Romeo Crennel either does or does not fit in on the coaching staff. I would be open to him remaining the defensive coordinator or seeing if he could be retained in some other form as possibly a consultant or assistant head coach type role.

tommyhawk
12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I am completely amazed and...wait for it...Horrified! that McDaniels name is even being mentioned for consideration for HC. And all this McDaniels 'mentioning' comes from one thing - Pioli's inability to demonstrate the capacity for independent thought. Every person we hire or drag from the depths of free agency seems to be an ex, current or imitation patriot.

McDaniels completely tanked in Denver and is tanking in St Lou, but Pioli is familiar and has a comfort level with him. So, the McDaniels thing is gaining traction in the media and they are probably correct. Because old Peehole knows him!!

I don't believe we have much of a shot to land Gruden or Cowher, maybe Jeff Fischer would consider KC and I'd be okay with any of them. But it will be Ferentz or McD and they seem like a car wreck in the making!!

jap1
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Here is my hypothetical scenario, and not necessarily what I think will ultimately be reality...but more if I were GM right now looking for a head coach for the Chiefs (and trying to balance what I think is a "Pioli" reality and what I would like to see happen) :

Bill Cowher
I would contact Bill Cowher and gauge if he has any interest in flying to Kansas City to talk about the current open head coach position. If he is interested in meeting, I would add him to my list.

I would love this pick. Upside: He would likely run a 3-4. He would probably be able to pull some quality position/coordinators from pittsburgh. Downside: I just dont see him coming here.

Kirk Ferentz
I would contact Kirk Ferentz to see if he is possibly interested in speaking about the open position or if he would prefer to remain at Iowa.

I dont know much about Iowa's program, so I cannot intelligently comment on this option.

Romeo Crennel
I would also add Romeo Crennel to the list as he does have head coaching experience at the NFL level and because he is more familiar with our current roster.

This would be the easiest and fastest transition. He would need to pull some quality coordinators for him to be successful.

Winston Moss
I would contact the Green Bay Packers and request permission to interview Winston Moss for the open head coaching position.

Definitely someone who would be a good candidate.

Jeff Fisher
The word appears to be that Fisher is interested in getting back into coaching in the NFL. I would contact his agent to see if he is interested in coming to Kansas City to talk about the position.

Great candidate as well. He would probably change our defense, although I am of the opinion that we have the personnel to run either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

I will say, my preference is for a young, up-and-coming head coach that could serve as our Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton. The idea behind bringing in Winston Moss would be to see if he can clearly articulate his vision as a head coach, and if he can define a clear path of building and maintaining a consistently competitive team. I would also look to see if he has a clear idea of names that he can outline as targets to fill out a coaching staff.

I believe the key for Moss would be if he can show he understands the dynamics of handling overall head coaching responsibilities and if he can show he has a willingness to trust in the coaching staff he assembles without having a tendency to "micro-manage" or second guess his staff.

I think you could say the same for any HC candidate.

I would speak to Moss about his relationship with current Green Bay quarterback coach Tom Clements, who I personally feel is an excellent candidate as an offensive coordinator. He has had a chance to work with Mike McCarthy and the dynamic Green Bay offense, and more than likely has had a positive influence on the development of Aaron Rodgers.

I would like him as an O.C. to pair up with whomever our HC ends up being. I like having OC that have history as either a QB coach or a RB coach. Those are the two most important positions when considering game plan. I think having a QB friendly OC is very important if you are planning on developing a QB. IMO Cassel still needs to develop, or we are going to go a different direction, so a rookie will still need to develop.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like both Kevin Green (currently the outside linebackers coach) and Darren Perry (currently the safety position coach). I do think Green could use some more time as a position coach, but I do think Perry has had an opportunity to work closely with Dom Capers and has certainly been an integral part in the success of the innovative 2-4-5 defensive look that the Packers use as a sub-package.

I would be very interesting in getting Moss's opinion on these coaches and if he feels comfortable contacting them for possible positions on his coaching staff should he be hired.

The reason I like Moss is I think he may be more apt to have a good working relationship with the front office than a more established head coach may be. The key would obviously be how he articulates that in the interviews.

I wouldn't be interested as much in seeing how he does explaining x's and o's, but I would definitely be more interested in seeing how he explains his overall skill set as a planner, organizer, motivator, and personnel leader...how much he understands the daily activities that a head coach will undertake.

Two coaching candidates I would be interested in speaking about with possible head coaching candidates is current Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Davis. He has been on the staff since 2003, and as such has atleast a working relationship and familiarity with Bill Cowher. I think by all appearances he has done an excellent job working with the linebackers, both the veterans, and helping the younger players develop and make an impact. I would definitely bring is name up when talking to Bill Cowher as a possible defensive coordinator...and could be a candidate for someone like Moss should Darren Perry turn down an offer to be interviewed for the position.

I would love to get Davis as a D. Coordinator. He runs a 3-4. Probably the best 3-4 LBs in the league. There is a reason why Steelers LBs usually dont do well outside of pittsburgh, and it is their coaching staff.

Another name I would be very interested in for any new staff is current Iowa Hawkeyes offensive line coach Reese Morgan. Iowa has become known for developing offensive linemen who tend to be much further along as far as technique goes than most college offensive linemen. I think he has to be given credit for giving them a good foundation of fundamentals and technique as not many Iowa linmen have top-tier raw athletic ability, but as mentioned are usually fairly advances on fundamentals and technique.

Im not sure about him as a coordinator, but I would love to bring him in as OL coach.

My goal with any head coaching candidate would be to gauge how they feel Romeo Crennel either does or does not fit in on the coaching staff. I would be open to him remaining the defensive coordinator or seeing if he could be retained in some other form as possibly a consultant or assistant head coach type role.

With Crennel now saying he wants to be HC. I doubt he would stick around as DC if he doesnt get the job.

Im starting to grow on the idea of Romeo as HC. If he is able to pull some good coordinators, I think he can have more success than he did in Cleveland.

chief31
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Im starting to grow on the idea of Romeo as HC. If he is able to pull some good coordinators, I think he can have more success than he did in Cleveland.

I am leaning this way myself.

I have such high hopes for 2012. Firing Haley throws it all out of whack. But keeping stability with Crennel salvages a whole lot of that.

And I think the minimal shake-up that would be caused by McDaniels is also a favorable trait of that prospect.

Xanathol
12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Not sure who I like the most - perhaps Gruden - but I know folks I would NOT want to see: Haley (duh), McDaniels, Crennel. Whoever is hired, just please, please, please either bring in a DC to run a 4-3 or get the right people to run a 3-4.

chief31
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Not sure who I like the most - perhaps Gruden - but I know folks I would NOT want to see: Haley (duh), McDaniels, Crennel. Whoever is hired, just please, please, please either bring in a DC to run a 4-3 or get the right people to run a 3-4.

I am as opposed to you on this, as possible.

:lol:

kcvet
12-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Cowher. but if he comes back we may have to fight the fins. they want him bad !!!

otherwise Fisher. lot of exerience as HC. and he knows how to get things done.

jap1
12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I am leaning this way myself.

I have such high hopes for 2012. Firing Haley throws it all out of whack. But keeping stability with Crennel salvages a whole lot of that.

And I think the minimal shake-up that would be caused by McDaniels is also a favorable trait of that prospect.

Another benefit of having Crennel as HC, is it means you can get a young up-and-comer as the DCoordinator. Romeo can still have his hands on the defense for awhile until he trusts the new guy completely. You just have to hit it big time with the OC. Preferably someone who has experience with grooming good QBs.

azchiefsfan
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Since Cowher told ESPN he's not interested in coaching in 2012, I am leaning toward Crennel, also. But we would have to get a legitimate and proven OC.

TopekaRoy
12-14-2011, 05:00 AM
I think Crennel has done a good job as DC, but I want to see how he does in the last two games before decicing if I want him to continue as HC. I'll give him a pass this week against the best team in the NFL with only one week to prepare. If Pioli has his heart set on McDaniels, keeping Crennel as head coach might make it easier to get Josh as an OC.

I don't want McD as head coach, but if he has learned form his mistakes in Denver, it wouldn't be a terrible thing. He is familiar with both Cassel and Orton and he brought Tebow to Denver when everyone said he would never be an NFL QB. (I'm still not sold on Tebow, but his passing is getting better and he plays hard every game.)

Can you imagine if we drafted Griffin, who is a mobile QB like Tebow, but with a much better passing game, and kept Orton and Cassel? McD would be like a kid in a candy shop, and we wouldn't have to worry too much about depth at QB.

I still think McDaniel''s negatives outweigh his positives, but if we have to have him in KC, I would rather it be at OC. I don't know how many of the HC candidates, other than Crennel, would be OK with having him as OC. I think most of them would want to bring in their own guy.

okikcfan
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Now we all have to remember that these names for possible HC job here in KC did not come out of Arrowhead. They came from people like Bill Williamson who doesn't have a clue, who makes stuff up as he goes along so he can be noticed. We have all been there done that if ya know what I mean. The only thing we know for sure is Romeo is on the list. Poili is on the Very Hot Seat right now and our hopes and dreams most likely will NOT be the same as his. So be prepared for anything at this point. We may be very happy with his choice, whom ever it might be or, we could be really pissed. Just sayin

dbolan
12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
How about Norv Turner. He will job hunting at season end! LMAO!!!

kcvet
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
How about Norv Turner. He will job hunting at season end! LMAO!!!

I heard their GM needs a job to

honda522
12-18-2011, 01:36 AM
The royals set some records that are not good to set...like losing something like 23 games in a row. They are far more worse than you think. The only reason they sell tickets is cause they are cheap.\\

And mind you the Chiefs are going to be setting some bad records too if they aren't careful.

Xanathol
12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
OK I change my mind about Romeo... ;)

hardcorechiefsfan
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Who is this Crennel that jap was talking about? The guy who was coach for us - that was Romeo, wasn't it?

jap1
12-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Who is this Crennel that jap was talking about? The guy who was coach for us - that was Romeo, wasn't it?

Romeo's last name is Crennel.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
This was the first that I'd heard of the name Crennel. I'd always heard him called Romeo.
Thanks jap1 for straightening it out for me.