PDA

View Full Version : Crennell wants to be head coach next year

marloweopatchiefs
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Crennel wants to be Chiefs next head coach (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Crennel-wants-to-be-Chiefs-next-head-coach/b4f54e21-3cd2-4cbf-8dfc-653402f95fa7)

Chiefster
12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Not surprising.

marloweopatchiefs
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Not surprising.

I'd rather have him then mcdaniels. Guess we will see what he is made of in the next few weeks. If he does good why not give it a shot next season.

#58ChiefsFan
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
We could do a lot worse than Romeo. Only real downside is his age at this point, he has the experience.

He fits the bill well, a Pioli guy that commands respect, I dont see him imploding the offense in the offseason and he is already part of the current system. I would really like for him to get considered, if he can make anything out of what we have now it will go a long way.

matthewschiefs
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Would not mind it. Lets see what this team looks like the next 3 games.

chief31
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Well....

Looks like we might be in the market for a new DC this offseason.

wolfpack
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
if romeo dosnt get the hc job, then kiss him goodbye as dc. romeo willbe mad he didnt get the job and more than likely the new hc will bring in his own man.

jap1
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
if romeo dosnt get the hc job, then kiss him goodbye as dc. romeo willbe mad he didnt get the job and more than likely the new hc will bring in his own man.

...This.

I dont trust Romeo as HC after his stint in Cleveland. The only way I trust him would be if he got an OC that was an all-star OC that other teams were considering for HC. Someone to groom to become our HC if Crennel fails after 5 years. Also, we need to get a good DC.

Problem is it is really difficult to find someone like that. I think NicFire has mentioned Green Bay's QB coach as a good candidate for OC and HC in the future. Maybe he could fill in for OC. Also, Nicfire mentioned the Pittsburgh LB coach is a young up and comer who should be looked at for DC jobs. If we get two people with that type of grroming and background, then I would be ok with Crennel as HC.

figcrostic
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
...This.

I dont trust Romeo as HC after his stint in Cleveland. The only way I trust him would be if he got an OC that was an all-star OC that other teams were considering for HC. Someone to groom to become our HC if Crennel fails after 5 years. Also, we need to get a good DC.

Problem is it is really difficult to find someone like that. I think NicFire has mentioned Green Bay's QB coach as a good candidate for OC and HC in the future. Maybe he could fill in for OC. Also, Nicfire mentioned the Pittsburgh LB coach is a young up and comer who should be looked at for DC jobs. If we get two people with that type of grroming and background, then I would be ok with Crennel as HC.

I don't feel Crennel got a fair shake the Browns were crap no pun intended and it was due to many factors. Also with we give the man the HC job let him choose his own coordinators I don't want us to pull a Haley on the guy and set him up for failure from day one.

jap1
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't feel Crennel got a fair shake the Browns were crap no pun intended and it was due to many factors. Also with we give the man the HC job let him choose his own coordinators I don't want us to pull a Haley on the guy and set him up for failure from day one.

He can choose his own coordinators, I am fine with that. But they better be pretty damn good coordinators. I want coordinators that in 5 years other teams will be throwing money at to make them head coaches.

#58ChiefsFan
12-13-2011, 06:58 PM
If Romeo is the HC next year both he and Pioli will be in the same situation, they both have one shot at getting things right.

The next several weeks are going to be huge in determining where this organization is headed in the future. Hunt is not happy with what is going on and there will be some major changes in the near future.

Romeo has been a HC before, knows what he is getting into and he will not want to be anything other than the HC which is a major step forward for this team. Having him promoted makes the most sense to me as far as building on what has been laid already. We are close to what we need on this team and a new HC will undo what we have been doing since Pioli got here.

chief31
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM

How did Bill Bellichick do during his first HC gig at Cleveland?

Oh.... 36-44, with one winning season mixed in.

Holding that against a guy seems short-sighted.

kcnation
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
id hate to search for another DC as good as him again.not saying i would mind him being our HC but we need him right where he is at now.

these last 3 games will not show what kind of HC he will be anyway as i don't think we win another game this season so it would be unfair to judge his results on this seasons interim status

GoHardorGoHome
12-13-2011, 07:47 PM
...This.

Very well put. I would much rather keep Crennel on the Defensive side and have an outstanding OC come in (NOT McDaniels).

It's a tough spot because I personally think Crennel can get it done AND he is WELL Respected. Watch how our team steps up for him (hopefully). But Seriously, do you really think he ever had a legit QB in Cleveland? I'm shocked he had a 10 win season at any point. If we have a legit O-line and "True" Pro-Bowl QB...........we are throwin' our weight around in the AFC.

texaschief
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I like the idea of Crennel as the head coach. I just want to know who he would bring in as his offensive coordinator.

2010chiefs
12-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Same here. Who's the best Offensive coordinator out there?

Hayvern
12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
With the rule in the league that at least one minority needs to be interviewed, it is certain that Crennel will be interviewed. I think if he wins two of the next three and shows an offensive turnaround, he may very well get the nod.

toyotapower
12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Wishful thinking: keep crennel, draft robert griffin III and hire the OC from baylor. Done. This league is going to the spread, why fight it?

Ryfo18
12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I would have no beef with Crennel. He's experienced a lot of football, has done a great job with the defense, and would certainly bring in a competent OC. I'm sorry, Bill Muir is not fit to be calling the plays for this team.

figcrostic
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
How did Bill Bellichick do during his first HC gig at Cleveland?

Oh.... 36-44, with one winning season mixed in.

Holding that against a guy seems short-sighted.

Exactly!

GoHardorGoHome
12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
If Romeo is the HC next year both he and Pioli will be in the same situation, they both have one shot at getting things right.

The next several weeks are going to be huge in determining where this organization is headed in the future. Hunt is not happy with what is going on and there will be some major changes in the near future.

Romeo has been a HC before, knows what he is getting into and he will not want to be anything other than the HC which is a major step forward for this team. Having him promoted makes the most sense to me as far as building on what has been laid already. We are close to what we need on this team and a new HC will undo what we have been doing since Pioli got here.

Very good point. I think I see the benefit unless the person that comes in is a Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher. I just don't see it happening. Then who is the OC? Bill Muir needs to be coaching an O-line somewhere or something.

#58ChiefsFan
12-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Norv Turner?

texaschief
12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Josh McDaniel wouldn't be a bad hire in KC as the OC. Spags is probably getting canned at the end of the year in STL and McDaniel will probably be here in some capacity. I just hope its as the the OC and not the HC.

I wouldn't rush to write McDaniel off as an OC because of his disaster in Den. But I'm going to be LIVID if he's the head coach in KC.

I just want that on record because when I start the "FIRE MCDANIEL thread the day he's hired, I don't want people saying it's because I love Todd Haley or any other BS. I said Haley was a bad hire the day he was hired and I'm saying Josh will be horrible in KC before it even happens.

However, I wouldn't be completely oppose to McDaniel as the OC.

jap1
12-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Josh McDaniel wouldn't be a bad hire in KC as the OC. Spags is probably getting canned at the end of the year in STL and McDaniel will probably be here in some capacity. I just hope its as the the OC and not the HC.

I wouldn't rush to write McDaniel off as an OC because of his disaster in Den. But I'm going to be LIVID if he's the head coach in KC.

I just want that on record because when I start the "FIRE MCDANIEL thread the day he's hired, I don't want people saying it's because I love Todd Haley or any other BS. I said Haley was a bad hire the day he was hired and I'm saying Josh will be horrible in KC before it even happens.

However, I wouldn't be completely oppose to McDaniel as the OC.

I agree. I think he lacks the leadership at this point in his career to be a Head Coach. Give him some weapons on offense and a good offensive line, and I think he can do well.

Bike
12-14-2011, 03:43 AM
Give him some weapons on offense and a good offensive line, and I think he can do well.
So could I. That said, McDaniels sucks. His system has guided the Rams to 11 losses (so far) and all their offensive stats are at the bottom of the league. No way I want that clown on our sidelines...

dbolan
12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
People have said that the players like Romeo. Ok. People say the Chiefs should not have gotten blown out in 5-6 of their games. Ok.

Who was the DC?? Romeo. Who was the person that chose the talent pool?? Pioli

So, if you think that the Crennel/Pioli deal will be better, embrace what they have accomplished so far (if you want to call it an accomplishment) and say it cannot be!

marloweopatchiefs
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
People have said that the players like Romeo. Ok. People say the Chiefs should not have gotten blown out in 5-6 of their games. Ok.

Who was the DC?? Romeo. Who was the person that chose the talent pool?? Pioli

So, if you think that the Crennel/Pioli deal will be better, embrace what they have accomplished so far (if you want to call it an accomplishment) and say it cannot be!

What about the games the Defense was stout? pittsburgh, chicago, oakland, denver game? Those don't count? And yes our D kept us in the denver game with the exception of 1 big play cause our offense is a joke.

nicfre2011
12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
What about the games the Defense was stout? pittsburgh, chicago, oakland, denver game? Those don't count? And yes our D kept us in the denver game with the exception of 1 big play cause our offense is a joke.

The concern I have about Crennel as head coach is the fact that when you look at Cleveland for example, the defense did not show any improvement. Does that mean that Crennel isn't a good coach? No, but I do wonder if when asked to handle alot more overall responsibilities as a head coach, he is not able to have as much influence on the defense...which is reasonable. But overall, the Cleveland team never did show as much improvement as people anticipated.

You talk about how our defense is making strides, and you are correct, but how will having Crennel have even more on his plate other than the young defense help that defense make even more progress?

TopekaRoy
12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
You talk about how our defense is making strides, and you are correct, but how will having Crennel have even more on his plate other than the young defense help that defense make even more progress?
I see exactly what you are saying. I'm not sold on making Crennel the permanent head coach, yet. I still want to see how we do in the last 2 games, this year. But I would think if he is made head coach he would pick a DC who does things his way and wouldn't make any radical changes. Obviously he thinks his way is the best or he would be doing things differently. I'm not worried about the defense falling off with him in charge. I'm worried about him getting an outstanding OC who will work with the strengths we already have rather than trying to bring in new personnel to fit a different offensive scheme.