PDA

View Full Version : Who should our 1st draft pick be?

GoHardorGoHome
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Okay so if the season ended today we would be 10th overall. As a football coach and miserable Chiefs fan, it's my honest humble redneck opinion that we should attempt to take RGIII, EVEN if we must trade up and this is why:

- He's a run threat (9 rushing TD's in '11)
- He doesn't throw int's or make bad decisions
- He's used to getting sacked - LMAO (23 times in '11)
- The most accurate deep ball I've seen in a LONG time
- He will help us convert 3rd downs and force opposing Defenses to stack the box, which opens up the Killer B's

Imagine this:

RGIII
Jamaal Charles
Le'Ron McClain
Tony Moeki
Dwayne Bowe
Steve Breaston
Jon Baldwin

Dexter McCluster on 3rd downs, etc.

WOW.

As an Oklahoma Sooners fan I can say that after 3yrs of watching RGIII, he's the real deal. It's a risk I would be willing to bet on if I was Clark Hunt.

OTHERWISE: If he's not there then we take the very best available LT in the draft and draft nothing but LINEMEN to build back our O-line & maybe a DE to replace Tyson's worthless @$$ :beat_DeadHorse:

Robert Griffin III stats (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/378497/robert-griffin-iii)

Interesting Article on Recommended Draft Choices (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/965169-2012-nfl-mock-draft-predicting-all-picks-for-the-kansas-city-chiefs/page/2) (this just confirms my thoughts)

Your Thoughts Please?

toyotapower
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I share the same sentiment, qb and o-line. We should take the best available player from those two positions, so it should go something like this:
Andrew Luck
Matt Kalil
Robert Griffin III
Johnathon Martin
Reilly Reiff
Matt Barkely
Landry Jones

We probably don't have a chance at the first two,

Hayvern
12-13-2011, 09:38 PM
That may be a good choice, but myself, I am pulling for Matt Kalil, we need a real Offensive tackle on this team, at least one for Pete's sake.

Ryfo18
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
RGIII in KC

matthewschiefs
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
I think Even Griffin without an O line would struggle. Need Oline more then qb IMO

Ryfo18
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I think Even Griffin without an O line would struggle. Need Oline more then qb IMO

The O line is fine outside of RT. Having a franchise QB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O-line.... I get it, you need an O-line to block, but ours isn't so bad that it is the #1 need.

Profootballfocus.com has KC ranked as the 12th best when it comes to pass protection. Sure, that site isn't the end all know all, but I think that says good things about KC when they can say they are better than 20 of the other teams in the NFL at pass pro.

figcrostic
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Landry Jones for sure!

jap1
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
The O line is fine outside of RT. Having a franchise QB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O-line.... I get it, you need an O-line to block, but ours isn't so bad that it is the #1 need.

Profootballfocus.com has KC ranked as the 12th best when it comes to pass protection. Sure, that site isn't the end all know all, but I think that says good things about KC when they can say they are better than 20 of the other teams in the NFL at pass pro.

What about run blocking. Our RB's never have holes to run through. The only reason JC was so good was because he could get to the line before the defense could react and close the holes. What if he isnt 100% after his ACL surgery?

Personally, and this is entirely my opinon, I think building a team that can run the ball effectively with anyone in the backfield, not just one of the best RBs ever (based on his yards per carry), is more important than a pro-bowl caliber QB. If the defense has to respect the running game, it opens up the passing game for any QB.

Look at Denver. They have a good OL. Their big threat is the running game from BOTH Tebow and all their other RBs. Not many people are afraid of Tebow throwing on them all day. Tebow would not be able to win games with his arms alone. If they were to shut down the running game, then you beat the Donkeys. It is his ability to make the defense cover so many parts of the field that allow him to win games.

Plus, I find it hard to believe we are 12th in pass protection. I tried to look at that website to see what they base that on, but I am not a member. Our OL seemed to give way to a lot of pressure on the QBs.

GoHardorGoHome
12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Look at Denver. They have a good OL. Their big threat is the running game from BOTH Tebow and all their other RBs. Not many people are afraid of Tebow throwing on them all day. Tebow would not be able to win games with his arms alone. If they were to shut down the running game, then you beat the Donkeys. It is his ability to make the defense cover so many parts of the field that allow him to win games.

Plus, I find it hard to believe we are 12th in pass protection. I tried to look at that website to see what they base that on, but I am not a member. Our OL seemed to give way to a lot of pressure on the QBs.

I would agree that we definitely need work on the O-Line, no question. But a dual threat QB with an accurate deep ball would be lethal out the gate. Picture Mike Vick with a near perfect QB rating and single digit INT's and you've got a kid straight out of college (RGIII) that will make a huge difference by joining an incredibly athletic group of WR's and a couple of RB's that burn. I'd love to pick up a FB and convert Le'Ron to more of a "Tolbert" or "Jacobs" role as a punisher. Who knows, Peyton Hillis may be on the choppin' block after this season. We need a punishing running and we simply don't have that.

Back to RGIII........Strong arm, Strong will, GREAT judgement. It would be awesome to see us duke it out with the donks with our own dual threat QB.

chief31
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Imagine this:

RGIII
Jamaal Charles
Le'Ron McClain
Tony Moeki
Dwayne Bowe
Steve Breaston
Jon Baldwin

Dexter McCluster on 3rd downs, etc.

WOW.

Looks like a crew of victims, if we don't significantly improve our blocking.

Trusting JC to make it look good was a bad idea this year, and it would be just as bad an idea any year.

The real problem is at LOT.

Despite what PFF says, We are very bad at pass protection. The interior has done well at times. But the OT positions make up for that.

The O-line makes up almost half of the starting positions on the offense.

This offense is horrible.

And it is primarily because we don't block well.

Jones has shown that he can do it, and Cassel has too. But, without JC to make the o-line look good, I think anybody else on this offense is going to underachieve.

I fully expect a fan's draft, where we get the glam at QB. That's what coaches do when they go to a new team.

And I think we could find some success that way.

But I believe that we would improve this team far more by getting a top notch OT.

Ryfo18
12-13-2011, 10:48 PM
LBut I believe that we would improve this team far more by getting a top notch OT.

I agree to some extent, but what has that done for the Dolphins (Jake Long), the Seahawks (Russell Okung, who's always hurt), the Browns (Joe Thomas), the Redskins (Trent Williams), the Panthers (Jordan Gross)...

One thing all of those teams are missing is a franchise QB. We can argue if Cassel is that or not, but I say there is a lot of room for improvement, and he's definitely not a guy that I'd be so confident in that I wouldn't hesitate to draft another guy like RGIII, Barkley, or Jones in the first round.

Simply put, the league is a quarterback first league. If you have one, you're pretty set to compete year in and year out. If you don't, well you're not.

Left tackle can be put on standby if the right quarterback is there in the draft, and you're picking early (which we will be). And this year's draft is certainly a deep QB draft. The same cannot be said for tackles.

If the Chiefs should choose to move down in the draft, while acquiring another first round pick, and taking a tackle and other position of need in the first round, I would not fault them if they think Cassel is the guy. That said, I still think it's foolish to pass on an RGIII talent if he's there.

Final food for thought, I always fall back to Profootballfocus (I wish I had the ability to watch every game and make these judgements myself)...Here are the top 15 rated LT's this year:

1.) Jason Peters, PHI
2.) Michael Roos, TEN
3.) Eugene Monroe, JAC
4.) Joe Thomas, CLE
5.) Donald Penn, TB
6.) Jordan Gross, CAR
7.) Jermon Bushrod, NO
8.) D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NYJ
9.) Duane Brown, HOU
10.) Andrew Whitworth, CIN
11.) Jake Long, MIA
12.) Trent Williams, WAS
13.) Branden Albert, KC
14.) Matt Light, NE
15.) Doug Free, DAL

Out of the top 5, 1 plays on a perrenial contender (Peters), and that team is not even in the hunt this year. Of the top 10, 7-10 are all in the hunt for the playoffs.

I just don't see, and never have seen, a strong correlation between stud LT's and team performance. On the other hand, you see pretty much the same quarterbacks in the mix for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

Xanathol
12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Luck would be the best of course, but after him, Moore ( Boise kid ), Barkley, then Landry Jones. RG3 is sooooooo skinny I have serious questions about his durability. The Boise kid reminds me of Drew Brees in a lot of ways and Barkley is use to a pro system.

turner_robert
12-14-2011, 12:38 AM
RG3 did not WOW me for the heisman at all I personally think its time for the Chiefs to find a franchise QB like Landry Jones and leave Charles and Battle to set up the playaction. If we dont select a QB in the first round and history says we won't. Then we need a RT like a fat kid needs cake. Barry Richardson is TRASH any tackle that allows 6 sacks in one game is worthless to any team. Other than those two we need to get find a replacement for tyson jackson. SUPER BOWL here we come 2012.

2010chiefs
12-14-2011, 12:56 AM
RGIII! We need a QB badly and now! Not even a free agent QB would do in 2012.

Lazeye
12-14-2011, 02:27 AM
I want so badly to get RGIII and him getting that Heisman has nothing to do with it but upset me at all the attention he is getting. I want him under the radar so we can pick him up!

70 chiefsfan70
12-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Looks like a crew of victims, if we don't significantly improve our blocking.

Trusting JC to make it look good was a bad idea this year, and it would be just as bad an idea any year.

The real problem is at LOT.

Despite what PFF says, We are very bad at pass protection. The interior has done well at times. But the OT positions make up for that.

The O-line makes up almost half of the starting positions on the offense.

This offense is horrible.

And it is primarily because we don't block well.

Jones has shown that he can do it, and Cassel has too. But, without JC to make the o-line look good, I think anybody else on this offense is going to underachieve.

I fully expect a fan's draft, where we get the glam at QB. That's what coaches do when they go to a new team.

And I think we could find some success that way.

But I believe that we would improve this team far more by getting a top notch OT.

I would like to see them pick up RG3, but I don't see them giving up on Cassel yet.

IMO every OL in the NFL would look horrible with Cassel as there QB. Everyone seems to forget how bad Cassel is. He is not able to stand under pressure. How many times has he brought the team back for a forth quarter win? How many 4th quarter losses?

These in my opinion speak more of a QB then any other number. There is nothing I have ever seen Cassel do that makes me think he will ever, ever win a playoff game.

I would love to see us get a stud LOT like Kalil, but hes not going to fix whats wrong with this team.

As bad as Palko is, he makes the OL look far better then Cassel.

Our OL needs help but other then the RT its far better then they appear. If we replace Richardson and draft a mobile QB and we are a good offense, if the injured stars come back healthy and 100%.

N TX Dave
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I would like to see them pick up RG3, but I don't see them giving up on Cassel yet.

IMO every OL in the NFL would look horrible with Cassel as there QB. Everyone seems to forget how bad Cassel is. He is not able to stand under pressure. How many times has he brought the team back for a forth quarter win? How many 4th quarter losses?

These in my opinion speak more of a QB then any other number. There is nothing I have ever seen Cassel do that makes me think he will ever, ever win a playoff game.

I would love to see us get a stud LOT like Kalil, but hes not going to fix whats wrong with this team.

As bad as Palko is, he makes the OL look far better then Cassel.

Our OL needs help but other then the RT its far better then they appear. If we replace Richardson and draft a mobile QB and we are a good offense, if the injured stars come back healthy and 100%.

The only thing wrong with your train of thought is if the line is good what has happened to the running lanes it seems to me they are just not there. I heard Dawson say several times last week that the OL is just getting blown backwards on both run and pass plays and if they are getting blown back then the team can not run or pass I don't care who the QB/RB is.

figcrostic
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
RG3 did not WOW me for the heisman at all I personally think its time for the Chiefs to find a franchise QB like Landry Jones and leave Charles and Battle to set up the playaction. If we dont select a QB in the first round and history says we won't. Then we need a RT like a fat kid needs cake. Barry Richardson is TRASH any tackle that allows 6 sacks in one game is worthless to any team. Other than those two we need to get find a replacement for tyson jackson. SUPER BOWL here we come 2012.

Agreed RGIII is a poor mans cam newton.

jb908
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Offensive Line. Don't care who it is

OPLookn
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Offensive Line. Don't care who it is

Unfortunately Khalil seems to be leaning towards staying in school. St. Louis is going to take Martin then and that leaves us with only one option of Reiff. I'm not sure I want to pick a guy just because he's the only one left. I'd rather us pick the guy because he's the best fit. If that's the case then cool. Past these two though (if Khalil doesn't come out) we're picking T/G's or guys that are projected to possibly slide to the 2nd. No thanks, draft for best fit and of need and get a LT/RT in free agency.

Edit: After doing some google searches it seems that Khalil is still deciding if he should declare and not set to staying in school. With that said if it's between Martin or Reiff I have no problem taking a LT.

nicfre2011
12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
The problem as I see it is with Barry Richardson, Casey Wiegmann, and Ryan Lilja. Richardson has failed to develop into an even average overall starting caliber right tackle. He is average to above average in run blocking but requires constant help when pass blocking. I am a firm believer in the chain-reaction affect when it comes to an offensive line. If a starter requires help in protection, for example, the right guard or tight end slide over to help out the right tackle in pass blocking, that creates a chain-reaction along the line and can allow defenses to overload certain gaps or sides of the line. Also, keep in mind we have two 280 +/- lb. interior offensive linemen in Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. Both are very good technicians and can move in space, but both are very limited phyiscally and struggle when asked to handle man-blocking assignments. So when you have two light offensive linemen next to each other...and a young right guard....and a poor overall right tackle, you are going to show alot of inconsistency - which is what we have seen from our offensive line.

I think back to when we had Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann, Will Shields, and a variety of right tackles....we fielded IMO one of the most dominant offensive lines in the history of the NFL. Granted Casey was much younger, but when Roaf and Shields retired, it created a chain-reaction affect. Shields, Roaf, and Waters could handle their man with relative ease on a consistent basis and could also dry help into Wiegmann. When they were no longer there, Waters had more pressure to not only help out the left tackle, but also to help out Wiemann, who often was physically outmatched. So essentially, Wiegmann was exposed. Now we have a Wiegmann-like left guard in Ryan Lilja and we have two very similar players...and struggle to consistently open holes in the rushing game. Now, there are times when the technical experience allow guys like Lilja and Wiegmann to make good blocks, but not on a consistent basis...too many of our offensive linemen need help (Lilja, Wiegmann because of lack of phyiscality not experience, Asamoah because of inexperience, and Richardson because of below average overall abilitity).

I don't know what the whole dynamic was with Jared Gaither...I have to believe he had problems with the coaching staff to the point where they would only use him as a "jumbo" tight end while they trotted Richardson out continually at right tackle. But to continue going with Richardson week-in and week-out fro Day 1 is a failure not only on the coaching staff, but also the front office. A for effort on signing Gaither, but to not get any use out of him when he was apparently healthy is an F for failure.

Personally, I would target pending free agent Jeremy Zuttah from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to compete at left guard/center. With Hudson in the mix, I would like to see Hudson play left guard and Zuttah center, where I have heard he has played well in place of the injured Jeff Faine. Both give us the flexibility of being able to play multiple positions between left guard and center. Ryan Lilja should be kept in the mix. I would also like to add a middle round guard prospect for depth. We completely lack any acceptable depth along the offensive line. Do any of us want to go with Steve Maneri for any extended period of time if Branden Albert was injured (with Richardson likely slide to the left side...and Maneri starting at right tackle...scary!!)?

As for right tackle free agents, the pickings are fairly slim. Anthony Collings from Cincinnati would be worth bringing in to compete at right tackle...I would also look to add a rookie at some point in the draft to compete as well...and provide depth. Maneri is a nice gimmick jumbo tackle, but I don't see him ever making much of an impact other than those nice little jumbo sets we seem to think is en vogue now.

nigeriannightmare
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM

RGIII was a track star, baylor has an excellent teack team not a football school, he is ahurdler after al. he is still learnin the position hass excellent athleticsm had a rocket for an arm. and he is a man of character.

What turned me off about cam was his whiny press conference.after their first win. his stats were not great but the team won by watching his press conference u woukd a thought they lost and his dad amd the whe pay to play thing. id much rather have rg iii.

70 chiefsfan70
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
RGIII was a track star, baylor has an excellent teack team not a football school, he is ahurdler after al. he is still learnin the position hass excellent athleticsm had a rocket for an arm. and he is a man of character.

What turned me off about cam was his whiny press conference.after their first win. his stats were not great but the team won by watching his press conference u woukd a thought they lost and his dad amd the whe pay to play thing. id much rather have rg iii.

Yes, I too would rather have RG3.

Ryfo18
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Dick Vermeil once called Priest Holmes a poor man's Marshall Faulk...

toyotapower
12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
If we draft griffin he has to race jc at some point, texas track star vs baylor track star

Chiefs fanatic
12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
We should take RGIII if he is available. He is immensely talented but also he is a high character guy.

GoHardorGoHome
12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
We should take RGIII if he is available. He is immensely talented but also he is a high character guy.

If we draft griffin he has to race jc at some point, texas track star vs baylor track star

Love it! Def a great character guy, very smart. Just puttin' it out there that Drew Brees is 6'0 209lbs. We have the weapons to run an offense simliar to New Orleans.

Look at the Comparisons:

Big Body WR: Colston / J. Baldwin
Speedy Slot WR: Henderson / Breaston
Possession WR: Meacham /Bowe
Killer TE: Graham / Moeki (when healthy)
Great QB: Brees / ??????
Scat Back: Sproles / McCluster
3 down RB: Ingram (eventually) / Charles

We are a couple years away from greatness.

btw.........RGIII is the same frame as Brees and will be a pure passer in the league. He will probably run from time to time but he sticks in the pocket longer than 95% of the QB's in college by extending the play like Cheeseburger does for the Steelers. However, RGIII also has the accuracy and judgement under pressure of Drew Brees. Very impressive.

SO you tell me what's missing?

YES we need to find some seasoned lineman, but WE NEED AN ELITE QB with great judgement and one hell of a deep ball.

figcrostic
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM

I love Priest but Faulk was the better RB.

dbolan
12-15-2011, 07:54 AM
As I said a couple of years ago...We need another WR that is a real threat on the outside but that still has not happened. We also need another RB of high caliber (Trent Richardson of Alabama).

We can get O linemen from FA along with a QB.

okikcfan
12-15-2011, 08:34 AM
The real question will be where do we end up in the picking order? I think the top 4 QB's could very well be gone by the time it's our pick. If Luck goes to Indy I think RG3 will be a Redskin. If we are close enought we could have a chance at Jone or Barkley.

nicfre2011
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
As I said a couple of years ago...We need another WR that is a real threat on the outside but that still has not happened. We also need another RB of high caliber (Trent Richardson of Alabama).

We can get O linemen from FA along with a QB.

I agree. Jeremy Zuttah from Tampa Bay could help at left guard and center. Anthony Collins from Cincinnati could help at right tackle. I would also look to draft interior and right tackle depth. I am not sure if Steve Maneri is anything more than a Pioli-Patriot-Puppett as a jumbo tight end. Also, I like the idea of Matt Flynn being brought in to compete with Stanzi....especially if we could grab Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements as our offensive coordinator.