PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical draft scenario ...

jap1
12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
So, lets say we win one of our last 3 games. That would put us drafting at around 10-14. Most likely after Seattle, Washington, Indy, Miami and JAX. All of them supposedly want a QB. Even if only 4 of them want a QB, then all of the big 4 QBs will be gone. I see this as a very distinct possibilty.

If it works out that way, most likely there will be at least one of the top tier OTs available (Reiff or Martin), and some LBs and WRs available that are valued in the teens.

Who do you pick?

Do you trade up to try and get one of the QBs?

Do you trade down and try to get an extra 2nd rounder?

Do you take one of the OTs that are on the board?

Personally I would love to see us trade down. I am not sold that QB is our biggest need. I think OL is more necessary, even ILB and NT are bigger needs IMHO.

I would try to trade down in this scenario to try and fill as many of those spots as we could. I wouldnt object to drafting Tannehill in the 2nd round, but I doubt we would target someone like that unless our new OC/HC really saw something in him. Pioli (not sure how much influence Haley had on this) likes players that have played 4 years and have had some sort of leadership role on their teams (a lot of our picks have been team captains).

okikcfan
12-16-2011, 06:30 PM
I would like to see Matt Kalil from USC but chances are he will be gone by our pick. I don't see Pioli trading up, it's not his style. He would trade back for more picks. We really need to beef up our oline for next year then move on to the D. We have 2 QB's right now to evaluate not that either will be around next year but who knows. First and foremost we need to see who our next coach will be if not Romeo.

GoHardorGoHome
12-16-2011, 07:25 PM
If the Qbs are gone, I would trade down and draft Trent Richardson and then go after two linemen in the 2nd and a TE or DE in the 3rd. We need a bruising running game. Jamaal cannot be a 3 down back in our system and remain healthy. I wouldnt mind Peyton Hillis splitting reps at RB for us either. We def need linemen, but based on history most 1st rounders are a bust. We can pick great linemen up in the 2nd and beyond.

Also, OU Sooner Frank Alexander would be a great pick at DE. Tyson Jackson has been useless. USE-LESS!

TopekaRoy
12-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Tyson Jackson has been useless. USE-LESS!

I don't understand all the hate for TJ. Let's see how he compares to our other starting defensive linemen ,,,

solo tackles
Tyson Jackson 29
Glenn Dorsey 23
Kelly Gregg 20

Tackles for loss
Tyson Jackson 3 (tied for 3rd on team)
Glenn Dorsey 1
Kelly Gregg 1

Sacks
Tyson Jackson 1
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

passes Defended
Tyson Jackson 2
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

He's not great but I wouldn't call him useless.

DMN
12-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Jackson has played very solid this season... and is only getting better. I think any shortcomings on D in the second half of the season are hard to take seriously. Our offense is unbelievably bad... The D can only go 110% for so long until they just get tired of 3 and outs from our offense.

I say O line all the way if we do not go QB. But I really want to see us take a chance on a franchise QB. Get him in now and groom him for one season. Give him a chance to learn our scheme ( whatever that will be.... The 4th one in 4 years )

toyotapower
12-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Jackson has played very solid this season... and is only getting better. I think any shortcomings on D in the second half of the season are hard to take seriously. Our offense is unbelievably bad... The D can only go 110% for so long until they just get tired of 3 and outs from our offense.

I say O line all the way if we do not go QB. But I really want to see us take a chance on a franchise QB. Get him in now and groom him for one season. Give him a chance to learn our scheme ( whatever that will be.... The 4th one in 4 years )

This. If we can't get griffin III or barkley let's get a bookend tackle in the first, a promising guard in the second and draft for depth from there on out.

nigeriannightmare
12-17-2011, 11:38 AM
If the Qbs are gone, I would trade down and draft Trent Richardson and then go after two linemen in the 2nd and a TE or DE in the 3rd. We need a bruising running game. Jamaal cannot be a 3 down back in our system and remain healthy. I wouldnt mind Peyton Hillis splitting reps at RB for us either. We def need linemen, but based on history most 1st rounders are a bust. We can pick great linemen up in the 2nd and beyond.

Also, OU Sooner Frank Alexander would be a great pick at DE. Tyson Jackson has been useless. USE-LESS!

Our defense does need depth but tyson jackson i think os playing very well this season. Our offense's longest drive agaknst the jets in the first half was one minute fifty one seconds, which has been the case in most of our blow outs this season. The ravens steelers eould all struggle with the ineptness of our offense.

raiderhater79
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM

I see them going O-line early in the draft. I think they'll stick with Cassel one more year.

:chiefs:

Miller
12-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't understand all the hate for TJ. Let's see how he compares to our other starting defensive linemen ,,,

solo tackles
Tyson Jackson 29
Glenn Dorsey 23
Kelly Gregg 20

Tackles for loss
Glenn Dorsey 1
Kelly Gregg 1

Sacks
Tyson Jackson 1
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

passes Defended
Tyson Jackson 2
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

Well those stats do not make him look that bad (bad for the Chiefs anyway). I think the issue is that he is a top 10 pick. He would be great if he was a 3rd rounder

TopekaRoy
12-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Well those stats do not make him look that bad (bad for the Chiefs anyway). I think the issue is that he is a top 10 pick. He would be great if he was a 3rd rounder
:lol:
He would be exactly the same if we had picked him in the third round!

We can't go back in time and change the draft because the Chiefs picked him too high. What's done is done. That wasn't his fault anyway.

People want to get rid of him because he was picked too high? That's just nonsense.

GoHardorGoHome
12-17-2011, 08:15 PM

solo tackles
Tyson Jackson 29
Glenn Dorsey 23
Kelly Gregg 20

Tackles for loss
Glenn Dorsey 1
Kelly Gregg 1

Sacks
Tyson Jackson 1
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

passes Defended
Tyson Jackson 2
Kelly Gregg 1
Glenn Dorsey 0

In order to be completely accurate, lets pull his stats since he was drafted. This is definitely his best year and thats still no where near what we should expect from a 1st rounder that we took so high. I am noticing that it normally will take a rookie about 3 yrs to start producing unless they are rock stars like Berry for instance. We need another Jared Allen at DE. plus Hali & Houston and then we would have a great rush.

TopekaRoy
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM
In order to be completely accurate, lets pull his stats since he was drafted. This is definitely his best year and thats still no where near what we should expect from a 1st rounder that we took so high. I am noticing that it normally will take a rookie about 3 yrs to start producing unless they are rock stars like Berry for instance. We need another Jared Allen at DE. plus Hali & Houston and then we would have a great rush.
Again you focus on where he was picked. Everyone agrees he was picked too high, but I don't care how a player got on the team. All I care about is "does he help the team, now that he's here?"

I don't care how he played his rookie year. He's gotten better and next year he won't be a rookie. It doesn't matter how bad he was. What matters is how good he is.

I would love to have Jared Allen ... and Julius Peppers too. While were at it how 'bout a linebacker group of Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Von Miller and Brian Urlacher?

Let's be realistic, though. If players like that are available, of course you want to pick them up. But with a limited number of draft picks, limited choices in free agency and a finite amount of dollars to spend you have to focus on your weakest spots and Tyson Jackson is not the worst player on the team or even on the defense.

Fix the flat tires first. You can worry about polishing the hubcaps later.