PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs O-line Sucks???

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Do we need anymore proof that our line is not as bad was they are made out to be?

Since the Pat's game (When Palko got his first start) I had mentioned on this forum a number of times that it had made me realize that our Offensive line was not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

With Palko being more naturally athletic than Cassel, it allowed him to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure (although his accuracy, and arm strength sucked) I thought to myself, if we could have a QB that was not only athletic, but had a good arm and was accurate... wow we could really do some damage. Since that day I had changed my mind on how the should go about their off season, and came to the conclusion that our BIGGEST need was talent at the QB position.

Yesterday Proved my Point with a CAPITAL P! No orton is not the most athletic, but he has a better pocket presence than Cassel. He is also more accurate, and has better arm strength. This combination of pocket awareness, and forcing the Defense to honor the idea that Orton could sling it down field equated to a SQUEAKY CLEAN JERSEY on Orton's back at the end of the game.

I don't know if anyone saw this but during handshakes, there was a shot of Orton and Rogers, Orotn looked like he had just put his jersey on, it was clean as could be! And this coming from a Defense that likes to put pressure on the QB and force turnovers.

Long story for a short point: Our O-line deserves a little more respect than we tend to like to give them, and proves that our BIGGEST need was talent at the QB position.

Now with Orton playing good, I think I would still like to see us look to add a young QB in the draft, but it might set us up for a scenario such as trading Cassel away for lets say a 3rd rounder, re-signing Orton for 1-2 years, and grooming the young QB to take over when he's ready.

Thoughts???

Ryfo18
12-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Now with Orton playing good, I think I would still like to see us look to add a young QB in the draft, but it might set us up for a scenario such as trading Cassel away for lets say a 3rd rounder, re-signing Orton for 1-2 years, and grooming the young QB to take over when he's ready.

Thoughts???

I think this point is more wishing than likely to happen. Namely, I don't see anyone ponying up draft picks for Cassel. I also don't see Pioli getting rid of Cassel this year, since he'll only make $5.25M next year.

I can definitely see a situation where they would bring back both, and let them compete for jobs. Kansas City has plenty of cap room to carry the two. If Orton pans out for next year, then I think we could see Cassel being let go, as he'd make $7.5 and $9M in 2013-2014, respectively.

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
I think this point is more wishing than likely to happen. Namely, I don't see anyone ponying up draft picks for Cassel. I also don't see Pioli getting rid of Cassel this year, since he'll only make $5.25M next year.

I can definitely see a situation where they would bring back both, and let them compete for jobs. Kansas City has plenty of cap room to carry the two. If Orton pans out for next year, then I think we could see Cassel being let go, as he'd make $7.5 and $9M in 2013-2014, respectively.

Heck I wouldn't be opposed with either of the QB's getting traded if we could haha. I'm still likin the idea of adding a young QB, I just think we will have some options now, if Orton can prove he can produce, and generate buzz from other teams.

nicfre2011
12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Our offensive line is inconsistent in pass blocking. They played a much better game yesterday than they have overall this season. They are also very inconsistent in run blocking, and I think alot of that has to do with the fact that our interior is either inexperienced or outmatched physically.

Also, I do think we need to upgrade Jackie Battle. He runs too upright and has very poor vision...it almost seems like as soon as he cradles the ball he is looking down at his feet as he runs into the line of scrimmage....very little wiggle...even for a big rusher.

Hayvern
12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
While I do not disagree that QB is a position we need some help at. I still think you are giving this line too much credit. This line was unable to get the push needed to carry our running backs into the end zone the last game, did you just overlook that?

I think Orton did a much better job than cassel at finding the open, downfield receiver sooner. This does not take away the fact that the only way we were able to get across the goal line was to use Green Bay's agressiveness against them.

The issue I have is we need to protect this new and hot QB you want to get, and this line has shown over and over again they do not have the consistency to do that.

Remember, Orton was injured on hi first play from scrimmage in the first game he appeared with us because this very me offensive line could not protect him.

Ryfo18
12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Remember, Orton was injured on hi first play from scrimmage in the first game he appeared with us because this very me offensive line could not protect him.

That's a reach...It was a flea flicker and the line had to try to hold up for 5+ seconds in protection with a blitzing safety.

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Ever since week 4 or 5 of the 09 season I been saying the same thing, Cassel makes this any would make any OL look bad. And have veribalized that he was by far the weakest link on this team. His lack of leadership is hurting the whole team. Look what Denvers reject QB did with this same team. I don't want to hear excuses about how bad the Packers D is either. They played a lot of good teams this year and were 13 and 0 and their offense was not the only ones playing.

I think it will be hard to sign Orton, he will want a long term contract and I don't think the chiefs will give him that.

I hope to see them move up in the draft and pick up one of the top 4 qbs. Then let Orton(if we sign him) or Cassel and the rookie, compete for the starting job.

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
While I do not disagree that QB is a position we need some help at. I still think you are giving this line too much credit. This line was unable to get the push needed to carry our running backs into the end zone the last game, did you just overlook that?

I think Orton did a much better job than cassel at finding the open, downfield receiver sooner. This does not take away the fact that the only way we were able to get across the goal line was to use Green Bay's agressiveness against them.

The issue I have is we need to protect this new and hot QB you want to get, and this line has shown over and over again they do not have the consistency to do that.

Did you ever think that we couldn't run the ball in the redzone because our RB is Jackie Battle??

I agree with the post that said we need to upgrade Battle. Battle was given too much credit for the Indy game, Indy has a horrible D, and he hasn't produced squat since that game, and was not even thought of until Charles went down. Jones is past his prime, we actually did run the ball well throughout the game, but Battle was our Red Zone back and just isn't that good.

I've mentioned drafting a back like Vick Ballard from Ms. St, in like round 4 to take over short yardage, or Brandon Bolden from Ole Miss in rnd 5.

Case and point is, our O-line let us run up and down the field yesterday, (Jones had a good game) we had Battle in on red zone play's and he just really isn't that good (we had to get down to the 2 yd line for his TD) and on that 4th and 1 (regardless of the fact that Raji had great penetration), Battle made a bad move and just kinda fell forward, he wasn't looking at where he was going, if he would have had his head up, and ran with an attitude churning his feet forward he could have got that first down.

dbolan
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Ever since week 4 or 5 of the 09 season I been saying the same thing, Cassel makes this any would make any OL look bad. And have veribalized that he was by far the weakest link on this team. His lack of leadership is hurting the whole team. Look what Denvers reject QB did with this same team. I don't want to hear excuses about how bad the Packers D is either. They played a lot of good teams this year and were 13 and 0 and their offense was not the only ones playing.

I think it will be hard to sign Orton, he will want a long term contract and I don't think the chiefs will give him that.

I hope to see them move up in the draft and pick up one of the top 4 qbs. Then let Orton(if we sign him) or Cassel and the rookie, compete for the starting job.

I pretty much agree but if Orton continues to produce (and i think he will) then he should be signed and Cassell traded, cut, renegotiate his contract...Whatever it takes....Just keep Orton for sure.

About drafting a young QB...We have and it never seems to pan out. Also, Pioli and his bunch would probably catch on fire if they drafted a QB in the 1rst//So, that will not happen lol

Trade Cassell to St. Louis. McDaniel would like that and Bradford needs a back-up.

dbolan
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Did you ever think that we couldn't run the ball in the redzone because our RB is Jackie Battle??

I agree with the post that said we need to upgrade Battle. Battle was given too much credit for the Indy game, Indy has a horrible D, and he hasn't produced squat since that game, and was not even thought of until Charles went down. Jones is past his prime, we actually did run the ball well throughout the game, but Battle was our Red Zone back and just isn't that good.

I've mentioned drafting a back like Vick Ballard from Ms. St, in like round 4 to take over short yardage, or Brandon Bolden from Ole Miss in rnd 5.

Case and point is, our O-line let us run up and down the field yesterday, (Jones had a good game) we had Battle in on red zone play's and he just really isn't that good (we had to get down to the 2 yd line for his TD) and on that 4th and 1 (regardless of the fact that Raji had great penetration), Battle made a bad move and just kinda fell forward, he wasn't looking at where he was going, if he would have had his head up, and ran with an attitude churning his feet forward he could have got that first down.

If Trent Richardson of Alabama comes out in this draft the Chiefs should jump ALL OVER it. Whatever thay need to do.

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I pretty much agree but if Orton continues to produce (and i think he will) then he should be signed and Cassell traded, cut, renegotiate his contract...Whatever it takes....Just keep Orton for sure.

About drafting a young QB...We have and it never seems to pan out. Also, Pioli and his bunch would probably catch on fire if they drafted a QB in the 1rst//So, that will not happen lol

Trade Cassell to St. Louis. McDaniel would like that and Bradford needs a back-up.

That was when there was no rookie wage scale. I've said it before and I will say it again.

There has never been a better time period in the NFL to take a chance on a 1st round QB. The risk is no longer there if the pick doesn't go as planned. I also think we might see the trend come back of drafting QB's in the 1st round and letting them sit and learn. Recently rookies have been tossed in early because of the financial burden they required, it wasn't logical to pay a person that much to sit on the bench.

As for Richardson, although the dude is a beast, with Charles coming back, I really don't see that as a 1st round need, and think we can expect a 4th-5th round pick as I had mentioned before. (RB is one of the easiest positions to transition from College to NFL) this is why you see later round picks producing, and I think you will see us wait until day 2 for a RB.

dbolan
12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
That was when there was no rookie wage scale. I've said it before and I will say it again.

There has never been a better time period in the NFL to take a chance on a 1st round QB. The risk is no longer there if the pick doesn't go as planned. I also think we might see the trend come back of drafting QB's in the 1st round and letting them sit and learn. Recently rookies have been tossed in early because of the financial burden they required, it wasn't logical to pay a person that much to sit on the bench.

As for Richardson, although the dude is a beast, with Charles coming back, I really don't see that as a 1st round need, and think we can expect a 4th-5th round pick as I had mentioned before. (RB is one of the easiest positions to transition from College to NFL) this is why you see later round picks producing, and I think you will see us wait until day 2 for a RB.

Every one knows that RB's or anyone does not comeback 100% after a knee injury of that magnitude. Plus, Richardson would be on the same rookie pay scale and could work into the game over a year or two behind Charles. At least we would be SOLID there. lol

Depth had been the problem...Need it!

jap1
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I am not sure if we were watching the same game, but on my evaluation, the OL sucked balls this week. Yeah, they kept Orton upright, but that had more to do with the game planning than the OL doing well.

If you recall, in the first quarter, the Packers came out blitzing and Orton had to get rid of the ball pretty quickly and made some dangerous throws.

So we started running a lot of screen passes that we broke for good yardage. That kept the Pack from sending the heat for the rest of the game. How often in the 2nd half did you see more than a 4 man blitz?

We had no inside running game.

Our only chance running was to the outside when we had a at least one TE AND a FB lead blocking. Even then, we were MUCH more successful running to the right becase Albert was able to hold his own.

If you see 4 goalline drives inside the 5 yardline that end up with field goals, and something like 4 plays for negative yardage, that means your OL LOST the battle up front.

We were lucky that the Pack wasnt able to come back. We will not always be that lucky against a playoff caliber team. If you want to make it to the playoffs and LOSE in the first round every year, then dont upgrade the OL. If you want to win, you need to punch the ball in on the ground in the redzone.

There isnt much skill needed from a RB when you need 1 yard. OL pushes their guys back and you jump over the pile. Pretty simple, so you cant blame it on Jackie Battle.

N TX Dave
12-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Heck I wouldn't be opposed with either of the QB's getting traded if we could haha. I'm still likin the idea of adding a young QB, I just think we will have some options now, if Orton can prove he can produce, and generate buzz from other teams.

The problem with that is he is a free agent after this season (2-5 games) so if he does set the world on fire we get nothing out of it but he gets a big pay check somewhere else.

pojote
12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Albert: good
Asamoah: good
Lilja: bad
Weigmann: slow and small
Richardson: huh?

We need a new G/C and a RT, besides Hudson who will be starting next season. I don't think that we should use a high pick to get those. It doesn't sound good to have a totally young line, we need some experience.

jap1
12-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Our only chance running was to the outside when we had a at least one TE AND a FB lead blocking. Even then, we were MUCH more successful running to the right becase Albert was able to hold his own.

Sorry. I meant to say to the LEFT.

jap1
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Albert: good
Asamoah: good
Lilja: bad
Weigmann: slow and small
Richardson: huh?

We need a new G/C and a RT, besides Hudson who will be starting next season. I don't think that we should use a high pick to get those. It doesn't sound good to have a totally young line, we need some experience.

I agree. I think we should pick up a new RT and a new LG. One in FA and one in the draft. If it means drafting a new LT and moving Albert to one of those positions, then I am ok with it.

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 01:44 PM

You are absolutely right, Qb is our greatest need, unless we can get orton to sign. Even then I don't see him being TQBOTF. However we need to pick a qb and start grooming him.

All that being said our OL does need upgrading.

I think RT should be second, and I would not be against picking a G with the third.

Our defense looks good and if we could just get car signed I would be happier.

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree. I think we should pick up a new RT and a new LG. One in FA and one in the draft. If it means drafting a new LT and moving Albert to one of those positions, then I am ok with it.

The problem with that is I don't think there is a LOT in the draft outside of maybe Kalil that could beat Albert out of that position.

Albert has done us a better then average job. IMO

jap1
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
The problem with that is I don't think there is a LOT in the draft outside of maybe Kalil that could beat Albert out of that position.

Albert has done us a better then average job. IMO

I dont disagree. I think he would look a lot better too with a better LG next to him. I am really moving toward wanting to trade down and pick-up a LG or RT in the first round. We will have to wait and see what happens ...

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I think everyone would agree that the OL needs help before we are a very competitive team. But we could have the best, biggest, meanest OL in the league and Cassel would still look like he had a bad OL.

I know its just one game, but a bronco reject that lost his job to tebowe came in here and made this OL look much better. Just imagine what a stud QB could do.

N TX Dave
12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
You are absolutely right, Qb is our greatest need, unless we can get orton to sign. Even then I don't see him being TQBOTF. However we need to pick a qb and start grooming him.

All that being said our OL does need upgrading.

I think RT should be second, and I would not be against picking a G with the third.

Our defense looks good and if we could just get car signed I would be happier.

Do we not have a rookie QB that was just drafted? Have any of us seen him on the field to know what he can or can not do? There is no use of drafting a QB every year and never letting him play just so we can draft another one. We may have TQBOTF right now we don't know.

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I dont disagree. I think he would look a lot better too with a better LG next to him. I am really moving toward wanting to trade down and pick-up a LG or RT in the first round. We will have to wait and see what happens ...

If the top 4 qbs are gone, I would like that as well. They are both glaring needs.

70 chiefsfan70
12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Do we not have a rookie QB that was just drafted? Have any of us seen him on the field to know what he can or can not do? There is no use of drafting a QB every year and never letting him play just so we can draft another one. We may have TQBOTF right now we don't know.

TRUE! I sure hope we get to see him play this year. I don't expect him to be a starter but its possible. He may be a second or thrid string next year. Again I'd like to see what he has.

Hayvern
12-19-2011, 02:11 PM

You know it cracks me up. We have only been able to get a good running game going by getting around the edges, when running up the gut, we have always had problems.

But putting that aside, the point here is this offensive line has not been good for 6 years now, and now after one game where they actually struggled when it mattered most, we think our offensive line is all hunky dorey?

Seriously, I know we are all on a high that we just beat the best team in football, but you have to get a grip, you all will be horribly disappointed when Orton gets sacked 4 times next week against the Raiders pass rush, and you will be back on here calling for the heads of those who are on the line.

An ounce of realism please.

N TX Dave
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
TRUE! I sure hope we get to see him play this year. I don't expect him to be a starter but its possible. He may be a second or thrid string next year. Again I'd like to see what he has.

Well as long as we have a chance of winning the division and Orton continues to play like yesterday we won't get to see him but if we are out of playoff hunt why not put him in to see what we have? I mean the pre-season he had been a pro what a month I did not expect much out of him, he has now had almost a full season to learn it is time to see if he may be the QBOTF.

Ryfo18
12-19-2011, 02:20 PM
We have this conversation every year...In a lot of Chiefs' fans eyes it's as simple as drafting a new LT, move Albert to guard, line problem's are solved.

This isn't going to happen. The Chiefs have had 3 years to replace Albert at LT (2/3 had top 10 draft picks) and they haven't done it. They're not going to do it. Albert has shown tremendous improvement over the last 4 years, and they're not going to move him to a new position now. It's that simple folks, it's not going to happen. It isn't as easy as saying "Well put this O-lineman here, this one there, voila!" I don't doubt that he could be a good guard, but the Chiefs have given 0% indication that they will go this route.

N TX Dave
12-19-2011, 02:26 PM
You know it cracks me up. We have only been able to get a good running game going by getting around the edges, when running up the gut, we have always had problems.

But putting that aside, the point here is this offensive line has not been good for 6 years now, and now after one game where they actually struggled when it mattered most, we think our offensive line is all hunky dorey?

Seriously, I know we are all on a high that we just beat the best team in football, but you have to get a grip, you all will be horribly disappointed when Orton gets sacked 4 times next week against the Raiders pass rush, and you will be back on here calling for the heads of those who are on the line.

I now it is the same line we have had all year. I think the big difference yesterday was play calling. We had first and goal 3 times without being able to punch it in that it is the OL's job to get push and the didn't do it.

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
The problem with that is he is a free agent after this season (2-5 games) so if he does set the world on fire we get nothing out of it but he gets a big pay check somewhere else.

He is actually a restricted FA so we will get to set a tag on him that we feel would be fair compensation if we loose him.

So let's say he plays well enough we think we could get a 2nd rounder for him. If he signs with another team, we gain that teams 2nd round pick this year.

So it would benefit us in multiple ways if he plays well.

I think if they thought he was ready to go we would have seen him by now. I'm not saying to throw the towel in on him, but I don't think they are all that confident he can lead this team as of now. (He's had 2 QB changes now and they haven't chosen him to start)

I think we could say Palko won't be here next year, and it's likely that both Orton and Cassel are staying here too. Which still gives him a roster spot to have if we think he may amount to something.

I didn't JUST start saying this. I've been saying it since Cassel got injured, and was a defender of Albert, long before today as well.

I'm not saying our O-line is the best in the league, I'm just giving them credit (which they rarely get) for playing decent here recently. They take the heat alot.

I'm also not saying we need to upgrade certain positions.

I think Albert stays at LT, Lilja and Wieggman are over the hill and undersized (which I think is our biggest problems) so we have Hudson set to take over for Weiggmann, and we need to look for a successor to take over for Lilja in the draft this year, let's say rounds 2-4. Same with Richardson, he should be a reserve tackle, and we need to find someone to replace him.

So we are looking at Albert, Hudson, and Asamoah anchoring the line, and looking to replace Lilja and Richardson and were looking good.

Just trying to give them a little credit, rather than see them get bashed like they always do.

Jrudi
12-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I now it is the same line we have had all year. I think the big difference yesterday was play calling. We had first and goal 3 times without being able to punch it in that it is the OL's job to get push and the didn't do it.

Doesn't help the O-line that their Redzone back is Jackie Battle....

N TX Dave
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Doesn't help the O-line that their Redzone back is Jackie Battle....

I see the OL was fine it was just the bad backup RB that was the problem.

TopekaRoy
12-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not saying our O-line is the best in the league, I'm just giving them credit (which they rarely get) for playing decent here recently. They take the heat alot.

I'm also not saying we need to upgrade certain positions.

I think Albert stays at LT, Lilja and Wieggman are over the hill and undersized (which I think is our biggest problems) so we have Hudson set to take over for Weiggmann, and we need to look for a successor to take over for Lilja in the draft this year, let's say rounds 2-4. Same with Richardson, he should be a reserve tackle, and we need to find someone to replace him.

So we are looking at Albert, Hudson, and Asamoah anchoring the line, and looking to replace Lilja and Richardson and were looking good.

Just trying to give them a little credit, rather than see them get bashed like they always do.
It's funny. You start a thread defending the O-line and then you say pretty much the exact same things that people are saying who think the O-line sucks! :D

I don't think I have ever said the O-line sucks, just that they aren't good enough. 3 of our staring 5 need to be replaced and Hudson can probably take care of one of those spots. I'm eager to see how Mims develops as well. Richardson definitely needs to go.

I think we can upgrade the O line in the off season and with the return of Charles and Moeoki our offense should be very good. If we can get 2 new linemen (and they don't have to be 1st round picks) I think that will be enough to turn the offense around.

Hayvern
12-19-2011, 03:34 PM
We have this conversation every year...In a lot of Chiefs' fans eyes it's as simple as drafting a new LT, move Albert to guard, line problem's are solved.

This isn't going to happen. The Chiefs have had 3 years to replace Albert at LT (2/3 had top 10 draft picks) and they haven't done it. They're not going to do it. Albert has shown tremendous improvement over the last 4 years, and they're not going to move him to a new position now. It's that simple folks, it's not going to happen. It isn't as easy as saying "Well put this O-lineman here, this one there, voila!" I don't doubt that he could be a good guard, but the Chiefs have given 0% indication that they will go this route.

I don't think it is that simple. Albert is not going to move from Left Tackle, in that we agree, the problem is coming in from right tackle and the fact that this line is just too small.

Do they play well sometimes? Yes, they do, but they play aweful sometimes too, unfortunately the aweful is the norm. We will see how they do in the next two games.

Hayvern
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
It's funny. You start a thread defending the O-line and then you say pretty much the exact same things that people are saying who think the O-line sucks! :D

I don't think I have ever said the O-line sucks, just that they aren't good enough. 3 of our staring 5 need to be replaced and Hudson can probably take care of one of those spots. I'm eager to see how Mims develops as well. Richardson definitely needs to go.

I think we can upgrade the O line in the off season and with the return of Charles and Moeoki our offense should be very good. If we can get 2 new linemen (and they don't have to be 1st round picks) I think that will be enough to turn the offense around.

THIS!!!

nigeriannightmare
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I think everyone would agree that the OL needs help before we are a very competitive team. But we could have the best, biggest, meanest OL in the league and Cassel would still look like he had a bad OL.

I know its just one game, but a bronco reject that lost his job to tebowe came in here and made this OL look much better. Just imagine what a stud QB could do.

Kyle orton was productive in chicago and he was very good in denver im too lazy to post the link but i wanna say kyle orton was in the top 8 for qbs last yr. His knock in chicago and denver was not being able to score red zone tds. Him playing well just gives us more draft picks i dont see cassel and orton being on the sane tean.

AkChief49
12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Our O line, like a garden, definitely needs some weeding and tending to.

Jrudi
12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Thought this was interesting: For those who think the O-line Sucks (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/JOHN-MADDEN-SELECTS-KANSAS-CITY-CHIEFS-AS-BEST-OFFENSIVE-LINE-FOR-WEEK-15/6c2029e9-72fa-4671-9860-0c088457fd78)

GarH
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Our OL sucked a couple of years ago. It's definitely not one of the best, but it no longer sucks. I'd like to see continued improvement though.