PDA

View Full Version : Just how good Carr/Flowers have been

Ryfo18
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Since week 11, they've held Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Wes Welker to 12 catches for 161 yards (only Holmes had a TD).

That averages out to 2.4 receptions for 32.2 yards.

A lot of that can also be attributed to a much better pass rush in recent weeks, but I love what these two are doing on the outside against some of the top WRs in the league.

pojote
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Resign Carr AHORA!!! (now)

whackojacko58
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
i love flowers carr and arenas, you put them with kendrick lewis and eric berry mmmmm i agree resign carr.

Jrudi
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
one of the best secondary's in the league when healthy.

I hope we can get Carr locked up soon!

matthewschiefs
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Carr has been comeing along nicely this year. If he has anther big jump next year then our D could be one of the tops in the NFL.

chief31
12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Carr has been comeing along nicely this year. If he has anther big jump next year then our D could be one of the tops in the NFL.

A little bit of consistency, and some help from an offense that moves the ball a little, plus Eric Berry....

The ceiling is looking pretty high to me.

wolfpack
12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I was wondering if we would resign both carr and bowe. I could see the tag put on one.
I think i would rather have carr than bowe if we can only keep one.

chief31
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I was wondering if we would resign both carr and bowe. I could see the tag put on one.
I think i would rather have carr than bowe if we can only keep one.

That reminds me.....

I don't think there is any reason we couldn't tag Kyle Orton.

TopekaRoy
12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
The ceiling is looking pretty high to me.

The Chiefs ceiling must have a huge skylight in it, because when I look up at it all I can see are stars!

chief31
12-22-2011, 09:52 PM
The Chiefs ceiling must have a huge skylight in it, because when I look up at it all I can see are stars!

No skylight.

Those stars are beneath our ceiling, it's that high!

:lol:

TopekaRoy
12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
No skylight.

Those stars are beneath our ceiling, it's that high!

:lol:
And the names of those stars are Hali, Johnson, Flowers, Berry, Carr, Houston ...

ctchiefsfan
12-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Despite the blowouts this year, we do in fact have one of the best defenses in the NFL. All they need is an offense that they have confidence in and there will be very teams that can score more than 14 points on us.

Their only problem this year has been that because of our anemic offense if we get down by 10 or more they feel the game is lost.

chief31
12-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Despite the blowouts this year, we do in fact have one of the best defenses in the NFL. All they need is an offense that they have confidence in and there will be very teams that can score more than 14 points on us.

Their only problem this year has been that because of our anemic offense if we get down by 10 or more they feel the game is lost.

I don't like that excuse.

A great defense does not give up, just because the offense is no good.

I agree that this defense is exceptional.

It's just a lack of consistency.

The blow-outs are on them, as much as they are on the offense.

I have seen The Bears, for years, and years, overcome a poor offense.

I have seen The Steelers, and Ravens do the same.

I don't think our defense has "given up", but just been taken by surprise by some things that a young defense has not seen much of.

And the plain old occaisional mental breakdown, especially having seen so many third-string players with so much playing time. (DBs)

TopekaRoy
12-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't like that excuse. [blaming the offense]

I agree with you. I was listening to a Bears show on a Chicago radio station a week or so ago and Chirs Conte (I think it was) said (paraphrasing), "We don't care what the offense does. If we have to be on the field for 60 minutes, we still need to do our job. We expect the defense to score on a turnover and we expect special teams to score every game. Even if the offense doesn't score a single point, we should win the game."

This is the attitude that almost every defensive player has and you never will hear any defensive player on the Chiefs blaming the offense after a blowout loss.

The reality of the situation, however, is that there are very few teams in the NFL that can be on the field for 35+ minutes a game and not get worn down. In most cases all 3 phases of the game need to be effective to win. The offense depends on the defense and special teams for field position. The defense depends on the offense for rest and field position as well. It's a symbiotic relationship and each phase feeds off of the other.

Ideally the defense should be able to hold up even if the offense struggles, but it usually doesn't work out that way.

Ryfo18
12-24-2011, 04:55 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Black"]I don't like that excuse.

But it's the fact of the matter. They're still a great defense. They were just put in horrible positions because of the offense's ineptitude...turnovers, failing to move the ball and giving the other team great field position. You don't have to accept it, but it's the truth. We're talking about an offense that had 13 turnovers in 4 of the blowouts...

I will give you that the defense was bad against Miami.

chief31
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM
But it's the fact of the matter. They're still a great defense. They were just put in horrible positions because of the offense's ineptitude...turnovers, failing to move the ball and giving the other team great field position. You don't have to accept it, but it's the truth. We're talking about an offense that had 13 turnovers in 4 of the blowouts...

I will give you that the defense was bad against Miami.

I don't care if the defense is on the field for 60 minutes.

Allowing over 40 points is not a good defense.

They are a very good defense. But they have had some very bad games.

If the offense leaves the opponent in scoring range, then you push them out, or hold them to a FG.

As the year has progressed, they have gotten much more consistent. But it does not change that they have played some poor games.

Ryfo18
12-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't care if the defense is on the field for 60 minutes.

Allowing over 40 points is not a good defense.

They are a very good defense. But they have had some very bad games.

If the offense leaves the opponent in scoring range, then you push them out, or hold them to a FG.

As the year has progressed, they have gotten much more consistent. But it does not change that they have played some poor games.

That's fine and dandy, but anyway you swing it:

Fix the offense and the defense is fine. The same can not be said the other way around.

chief31
12-24-2011, 07:06 PM
That's fine and dandy, but anyway you swing it:

Fix the offense and the defense is fine. The same can not be said the other way around.

Nobody has tried to say the opposite.

What is challenged is rather the defense is great, and has just been a victim of the offense, or if they are very good, and had some bad games, to go along with a poor offense.

A great defense, put into bad situations because of an inept offense, gives up a lot of FGs.

A very good defense, on an off day, gives up TDs.

I think this defense is right on the verge of being great. They have smoothed out their consistency over the course of the season.

But their bad games this season, have been their bad games.

okikcfan
12-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Both sides need help and they need to get better. This was our chance at the playoffs and we blew it, plain and simple. Tebow and Rivers both lost, game over for us now....

AussieChiefsFan
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
And combined with the Linebackers. Sweetness.

figcrostic
12-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't like that excuse.

I agree that this defense is exceptional.

It's just a lack of consistency.

The blow-outs are on them, as much as they are on the offense.

I have seen The Bears, for years, and years, overcome a poor offense.

I have seen The Steelers, and Ravens do the same.

I don't think our defense has "given up", but just been taken by surprise by some things that a young defense has not seen much of.

And the plain old occaisional mental breakdown, especially having seen so many third-string players with so much playing time. (DBs)

Once again arguing for the sake of aguing.....The Ravens just gave up 34 points to the Chargers last week, and the Steelers gave up 35 points to the Ravens but your right they both have good defenses but it's the NFL and sometimes you just get out played we have a good defense not Ravens or Steelers level but we are getting there, we just need to be more consistent RYO is right though if our offense was better our defense would be better one of the reason the 49ers and the Ravens defenses are so good is because they have great running games that eat up the clock giving their opponents very little time to run their offense.