PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs can throw the ball!

hermhater
10-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Chiefs Find Identity on Offense http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/10/39.jpg
Donald Miralle/Getty

By John Viril (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:location.href=%27http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22%27%20+%20escape%28%27John%20Viril%27%29% 20+%20%27%22&sssiteid=66%27;)
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Oct 5, 2007

Coming into the 2007 season, Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards thought he had a team that could dominate opponents with the running game. Kansas City’s offense slammed the ball into defenses stacked to stop the run. They got stuffed.

Undeterred, the Chiefs kept slamming Larry Johnson (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980134) into the line even though opposing linebackers camped out in Kansas City's backfield while their secondary mates kicked back and sipped Piña Coladas.

The Chiefs lost their first two games.

On the verge of losing their third straight game, with frustrated players screaming at the coaching staff, it finally dawned upon the Chiefs that perhaps it was time to try plan B. Lo and behold! Despite what everyone believed, the Chiefs discovered they could throw the ball.

The Chiefs staged a fourth-quarter comeback vs. Minnesota. They blew away San Diego with 24 points in the second half. Along the way they found out that rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=3325099) could catch the ball with two guys holding his legs and another riding piggy back. At the end of the Chargers game, Johnson found running room because quarterback Damon Huard (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980132) had hurt San Diego’s defense with big plays downfield to Bowe and tight end Tony Gonzalez (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980124).

The Chiefs do not have the dominant run blocking they had in the past. Furthermore, their screen passes haven't been effective since all-world guard Will Shields retired. The bottom line - this team has to attack down the field to set up the short game.

Fortunately, Bowe's emergence as a number one receiver allows Gonzalez, Eddie Kennison (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980137) and Samie Parker (http://raiders.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980147) to fall into more natural roles. Kennison never had the hands to be a go-to receiver, while Parker is much better in the slot. Gonzalez no longer has to carry the load as the primary receiving threat, which is awkward for the offense when opponents force the tight end to protect the quarterback.

Right now, Huard appears to be the weak link on offense. After his inspired play off the bench last season, karma has caught up with him as a full time starter. The batted balls that hit the turf last year are getting picked off this season. Even so, if Huard goes back into his shell, the offense will stall. Edwards has to accept more turnovers than he would like if his team is going to win.

Now that offensive coordinator Mike Solari knows what he has on offense, there are no more excuses. Solari must continue to mix up his play calls and instruct Huard to throw the ball to Gonzalez and Bowe at critical moments? even if they are covered. If he continues with this strategy, this team has a good chance to win the AFC West.

Otherwise, it will be a lost season. Much like the first two games.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 12:22 AM
If they would establish the pass early and often then it would open up the run quite a bit IMO.

hermhater
10-06-2007, 12:24 AM
If they would establish the pass early and often then it would open up the run quite a bit IMO.

Your opinion is correct sir.

That is eggsactly what they need to do.

If they are gonna do it, this is the week!

I'm sayin' this is the year of the Chiefs behaving Greatly!

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Your opinion is correct sir.

That is eggsactly what they need to do.

If they are gonna do it, this is the week!

I'm sayin' this is the year of the Chiefs behaving Greatly!

Time will tell my friend. :D

Polleo Pit Man
10-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Chies can and will throw the ball. now more then ever with eddie coming back i hope to see an "explosive" passing game!!!!

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Chies can and will throw the ball. now more then ever with eddie coming back i hope to see an "explosive" passing game!!!!

...And, that will set up the run.

Polleo Pit Man
10-06-2007, 01:24 AM
...And, that will set up the run.
exactly my friend!!!

:bananen_smilies046:

Guru
10-06-2007, 01:29 AM
The first half of this game will be just like the first half of our first 4 games....

Run it into the wall.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 02:00 AM
The first half of this game will be just like the first half of our first 4 games....

Run it into the wall.

...Much to the frustration of fans and players alike.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 02:01 AM
exactly my friend!!!

:bananen_smilies046:

Great minds and all...:D

timsatt1
10-06-2007, 02:02 AM

Run it into the wall.

wrong! enough ppl have put it into herms head that this will be THE FIRST GAME where we break out the passing game in the first half. As long as we have ANY KIND OF LEAD, however, herm will THEN go back into run against a brick wall mode.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 02:07 AM
wrong! enough ppl have put it into herms head that this will be THE FIRST GAME where we break out the passing game in the first half. As long as we have ANY KIND OF LEAD, however, herm will THEN go back into run against a brick wall mode.

This has been his offensive philosophy regardless of how he gets a lead.

Guru
10-06-2007, 02:08 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

BoredomReallySux
10-06-2007, 02:28 AM
Herm will do what Herm always does. You can count on it.

Guru
10-06-2007, 02:42 AM

This isn't good.

We actually agree on something?:sign0153:

anaeelbackwards
10-06-2007, 02:44 AM

i agree man!

and if its wearing a zoot suit on tv, then the suit it is.

hermhater
10-06-2007, 02:58 AM

Run it into the wall.

What?

No more head banging.

Guru
10-06-2007, 03:37 AM
What?

No more head banging.

:owws::owws::owws:

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 03:43 AM
This isn't good.

We actually agree on something?:sign0153:

Wow! This could be cataclysmic. :D

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 03:45 AM
:owws::owws::owws:

This is because you and BRS actually agreed on something isn't it. :lol:

Nite Crowd!

sling58
10-06-2007, 07:07 AM
it's always good to get away from the one-dimensional game plans. Teams that stay (one-dimensional) that way stay out of the playoffs.

anaeelbackwards
10-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow! This could be cataclysmic. :D

chiefster there you go again using those really big words. hah
:lol:

m0ef0e
10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
LJ for a big game. 100+ and 2 TD's. Fred Taylor hasn't done anything so far this year. (I know because he is on my fantasy team). Jones-Drew is explosive and Taylor has proven himself in years past but I think this Chiefs' defense will give them nightmares.

GO CHIEFS!!!

sling58
10-06-2007, 01:02 PM
LJ for a big game. 100+ and 2 TD's. Fred Taylor hasn't done anything so far this year. (I know because he is on my fantasy team). Jones-Drew is explosive and Taylor has proven himself in years past but I think this Chiefs' defense will give them nightmares.

GO CHIEFS!!!

It would be nice to see LJ finally get into the endzone and end his drought. I would love to see LJ put up big yards.

m0ef0e
10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
It would be nice to see LJ finally get into the endzone and end his drought. I would love to see LJ put up big yards.

I don't really think that LJ will get a whole ton of yardage against this jax defense. I think we may get into goal-to-go from a big play or two through the passing game and then LJ will pound it in for a score, get some confidence, and then get it working after that for some decent yardage and another score but I don't think LJ will go very much over 100 yards. Like 104 or something to that effect.

chief31
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Run it into the wall.

I do expect to see a high percentage of running plays in the first half. But I expect to have better success at it. I expect to see some third down conversions too. I hope to go into halftime with a lead and expand on it, in the second half, as the Jags begin to "creep up" closer to the Line.

Where have you been hiding?

m0ef0e
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I do expect to see a high percentage of running plays in the first half. But I expect to have better success at it. I expect to see some third down conversions too. I hope to go into halftime with a lead and expand on it, in the second half, as the Jags begin to "creep up" closer to the Line.

Spot on with your pre-game analysis! I agree. :sign0098:

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 03:14 PM
chiefster there you go again using those really big words. hah
:lol:

I try in incorporate one big word daily. :D

sling58
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I try in incorporate one big word daily. :D

If he tries for 2 his brain overloads and shorts out.....

:lol: :lol:

m0ebr0
10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Our passing game will flourish now that we have all recievers back. Welcome back Kennison.

Chiefster
10-06-2007, 11:37 PM
If he tries for 2 his brain overloads and shorts out.....

:lol: :lol:

You want my head to explode!!!

hermhater
10-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Scanners...

Chiefster
10-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Scanners...

Chris Farley.

hermhater
10-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Scanners...

Chris Farley.

Just had a visual of your head exploding.

Forgot the other ref, I was wrong, please forgive me.

Chiefster
10-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Just had a visual of your head exploding.

Forgot the other ref, I was wrong, please forgive me.

You are, out of the supreme goodness of my heart, forgiven. :bananen_smilies046:

sling58
10-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Our passing game will flourish now that we have all recievers back. Welcome back Kennison.

Agreed and if we bring that chapter of the play book with us. I see the Jags having a problem figuring out which player to plan for now.

Chiefster
10-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Is Kennison out again; I heard he got hurt.

McLovin
10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Hammy again, just aggravated it may have come back a lil too soon. Doesn't sound as serious though.