PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs extend Ryan Succop

#58ChiefsFan
12-30-2011, 06:45 PM
By Adam Schefter
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/adam-schefter/)
A former Mr. Irrelevant just became a lot more relevant -- and richer.
Kansas City (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs) signed kicker Ryan Succop (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12731/ryan-succop) to a five year, $14 million extension, according to an NFL source. The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus and $2 million in guaranteed salary for 2012.
Succop can max it out at $14.675 million if he is voted to the pro bowl and the Chiefs make the playoffs every season.
Succop, the last selection in the 2009 draft out of South Carolina, has connected on 69 of his 84 career field goal attempts (82.1 percent).
Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

AussieChiefsFan
12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Great news!

matthewschiefs
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
good move

okikcfan
12-30-2011, 09:56 PM
AWESOME! Who's Next?

Three7s
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
The third highest contract given to a FG kicker in NFL history. Seems like a lot for a guy who can't even make the pro bowl. Not saying I don't like him on the team, I think he's money, just saying.

Chiefster
12-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Good for Ryan; he deserves it.

ctchiefsfan
12-31-2011, 02:58 AM
Glad to seeing him staying on the team. If he is truly the 3rd biggest contract for a kicker (not doubting you Three7s, just don't know) then perhaps we overpaid a bit, but with the cap room we have and the comparatively small amounts of money in question, I think this is a good move.

I must admit though, with those two blocks against Oakland I do wonder how he will hold up with 38 seconds left and the AFC Championship on the line.

I adore Jan Stenerud, but his memory will forever be tainted by that 30-something yard miss against Miami.

Those two blocks by Oakland gave me some UGLY flashbacks.

SIC J
12-31-2011, 03:12 AM
The third highest contract given to a FG kicker in NFL history. Seems like a lot for a guy who can't even make the pro bowl. Not saying I don't like him on the team, I think he's money, just saying.

It took Janikowski 11 years to make the Pro Bowl. Just saying.

Eydugstr
12-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe this is Pioli's way of saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If anything, do appreciate the fact that Pioli signs quickly. If it were King Carl, he'd bicker until the last seconds before training camp, if not the start of the season.

toyotapower
12-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Succop making the pro bowl or not has nothing to do with his performance. Unless he plays for new york, new england, pittsburgh, baltimore, philly or dallas he'll never make the pro bowl.

SIC J
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Succop making the pro bowl or not has nothing to do with his performance. Unless he plays for new york, new england, pittsburgh, baltimore, philly or dallas he'll never make the pro bowl.

The Pro Bowl isn't what it used to be. Many players make it now solely on their name now. How does Rivers make it when his team has a losing record and he's tied for the most interceptions for the year and I believe the most turnovers by a QB? LOL

TopekaRoy
12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Robbie Gould didn't make it and he's 6 for 6 in FGs of 50+ yards this year. He is the only kicker with more than 3 attempts from that distance who hasn't missed this year.

In the NFC both the kicker and punter are from San Francisco because they don't have much of an offense and most of their scoring drives end in FGs, yet they are still 12-3.

okikcfan
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
It's not really even a game. Just a free vacation.