PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flynn

Canada
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Why not go after Flynn from the Packers and let Orton and Cassel battle it out for the clip board position!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefs fanatic
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I think Flynn is an intriguing option. He's someone who has already shown promise in the NFL. I think he'd be worth a first round pick.

okikcfan
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
31 of 44 for 480 yards..... Nice choice Canada, I'll take that pick!

Ryfo18
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I think Flynn is an intriguing option. He's someone who has already shown promise in the NFL. I think he'd be worth a first round pick.

He'll be a free agent, so the Chiefs would have to be the winning bidder.

I wouldn't mind Flynn, I don't see Pioli dealing out another long-term deal to a QB though, unfortunately.

Canada
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM

I wouldn't mind Flynn, I don't see Pioli dealing out another long-term deal to a QB though, unfortunately.We dont have a long term QB now. Why wouldnt he?

Ryfo18
01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
We dont have a long term QB now. Why wouldnt he?

Well Cassel is signed through 2014, due 5.25M, 7M, and 9M over the next 3 years. Of course none of that is guaranteed.

We'd likely see Cassel released if the organization decided to take a shot a Flynn.

Canada
01-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Well Cassel is signed through 2014, due 5.25M, 7M, and 9M over the next 3 years. Of course none of that is guaranteed.

We'd likely see Cassel released if the organization decided to take a shot a Flynn.So there is no reason for you to think Pioli wouldnt do it. Stop hating!! :D

chief31
01-03-2012, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't mind Flynn, I don't see Pioli dealing out another long-term deal to a QB though, unfortunately.

Same here.

He is going to get a big payday. And, much like Matt Cassel then, he was playing on an exceptional offense, but with far less game experience to suggest that he is for real. I would be fine with it. But I would hate to see all competition removed to make room for him.

I would want either Orton, or Cassel to remain, to supply us with a real starter, in case Flynn were to get here and struggle with the offense.

This is not The Packers' offense. And we have seen how a QB successful with an offense can struggle with a major change to the offense.

Would I go after him? Probably not. But, if Orton, or Cassel leaves, then I might.

It's just that so little has been seen of Flynn. This is basically one game getting him hyped up. Beyond this game, and some impressive preseason play, there is very little to look at, with Flynn.

Chiefs fanatic
01-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Yeah my bad. I do think that there's a decent chance that Green Bay signs him and then trades him though.

Ryfo18
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah my bad. I do think that there's a decent chance that Green Bay signs him and then trades him though.

This I tend to disagree with, only because there is a huge risk with Flynn. They'd have to first pay him, and then hope there is a trading partner out there that will A.) pay for him with draft picks and B.) take on the big contract the Packers gave him (or a Franchise tag). The franchise tag would make more sense, but they'd still be on the hook for probably upwards of $17M if they couldn't trade him.

The Patriots did this with Cassel, but only after he had an 11-5 season. Flynn has shown some promise, but in extremely limited action.

The Packers could go this route, but it is very risky and could end up being a huge hit to their cap if they can't trade him.

Canada
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
This I tend to disagree with, only because there is a huge risk with Flynn. They'd have to first pay him, and then hope there is a trading partner out there that will A.) pay for him with draft picks and B.) take on the big contract the Packers gave him (or a Franchise tag). The franchise tag would make more sense, but they'd still be on the hook for probably upwards of $17M if they couldn't trade him.

The Patriots did this with Cassel, but only after he had an 11-5 season. Flynn has shown some promise, but in extremely limited action.

The Packers could go this route, but it is very risky and could end up being a huge hit to their cap if they can't trade him.^^ this guy is so smart...shame he's so ugly!!

Ryfo18
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
^^ this guy is so smart...shame he's so ugly!!

Real beauty is on the inside...That's what my mom always told me.

Canada
01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Real beauty is on the inside...That's what my mom always told me.http://kingjamesgospel.com/files/2011/10/Mom_Says_I_m_Cool_Posters_my_mommy_says_im_cool-s312x450-78980-580.jpg

figcrostic
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Same here.

He is going to get a big payday. And, much like Matt Cassel then, he was playing on an exceptional offense, but with far less game experience to suggest that he is for real. I would be fine with it. But I would hate to see all competition removed to make room for him.

I would want either Orton, or Cassel to remain, to supply us with a real starter, in case Flynn were to get here and struggle with the offense.

This is not The Packers' offense. And we have seen how a QB successful with an offense can struggle with a major change to the offense.

Would I go after him? Probably not. But, if Orton, or Cassel leaves, then I might.

It's just that so little has been seen of Flynn. This is basically one game getting him hyped up. Beyond this game, and some impressive preseason play, there is very little to look at, with Flynn.

This! Too many unknowns just because he played well in GB doesn't mean he'd do well here they have a ridiculously good defense.

AkChief49
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
This! Too many unknowns just because he played well in GB doesn't mean he'd do well here they have a ridiculously good defense.

Do you mean Offense?
GB is ranked dead last in total defense

Canada
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
This! Too many unknowns just because he played well in GB doesn't mean he'd do well here they have a ridiculously good defense.I prefer to take an unknown with an upside than the two knowns that we have.

okikcfan
01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I prefer to take an unknown with an upside than the two knowns that we have.

Agreed! Flynn it is, I'll call him.....:yahoo:

figcrostic
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I prefer to take an unknown with an upside than the two knowns that we have.

Yeah but do you think Pioli will risk his job an another unproven qb. Flynn looks amazing no doubt but Pioli is on thin ice right now this is going to be a safe free agency and draft.

drstandley31
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Just get some blockers for him!

matthewschiefs
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Well I think before we would see Flynn brought in either Cassel or Orton would be gone. I don't see us having 4 qbs that would be paid the money that those 4 would get. I wouldn't mind it but I don't think that it's going to happen. But he's looked good in the few chances that he's gotten he could be anther Matt Scaub. I think it's worth contacting his agent this offseason to see what it would take.

jap1
01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
On paper, Flynn looked great. Unfortunately I didnt watch any of the games this weekend due to other commitments (and by commitments I mean still drinking/hangovers from New Years Eve :drunkhb: ).

But I think I would have to agree that not too many teams (including Green Bay) would be too willing to spend a lot on him since there is so little REAL game film on him. That having been said, maybe it means he can be acquired for cheap.

Im not sure on how I feel about him specifically, but I think I am along the same lines as some others on here. I think before we even think about the QB position, we need to upgrade the OL either in FA or the draft. :beat_DeadHorse:

nigeriannightmare
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
On paper, Flynn looked great. Unfortunately I didnt watch any of the games this weekend due to other commitments (and by commitments I mean still drinking/hangovers from New Years Eve :drunkhb: ).

But I think I would have to agree that not too many teams (including Green Bay) would be too willing to spend a lot on him since there is so little REAL game film on him. That having been said, maybe it means he can be acquired for cheap.

Im not sure on how I feel about him specifically, but I think I am along the same lines as some others on here. I think before we even think about the QB position, we need to upgrade the OL either in FA or the draft. :beat_DeadHorse:

I respectfully disagree. When u break the green bay record for tds and yards, given their history, demand will be high. Will he be overpaid....yes. but teams will pay at the pump for his services. Look at kolb from arizona.

Bike
01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Why does Green Bay acquire excellent QB's, and we don't? Pioli - whats your major malfunction? Do you still need Billy Boy standing next to you to make your decisions for you? Man up, Pioli, and do your job, or get out.

ctchiefsfan
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
No way I can see Cassel, Orton, Flynn and Stanzi all being on the roster. That said, Flynn sounds interesting and I'd shed no tears if he replaced any of the 3 we currently have.

Chief Concerns
01-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Orton will be a free agent. We would not re-sign him, if we decided to go after Flynn, as long as Cassel remains on the roster. In my opinion, we should trade Cassel. Then we can sign Orton and Flynn, while still keeping Stanzi around until he's ready.

:kc:

jap1
01-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Why does Green Bay acquire excellent QB's, and we don't? Pioli - whats your major malfunction? Do you still need Billy Boy standing next to you to make your decisions for you? Man up, Pioli, and do your job, or get out.

They have a great history of QB coaches. They are good at both identifiying talent and then DEVELOPING it. That, and they have been a decent team for a long time, so they have been able to afford to grab a good to decent QB when they are not in desperate need of one, and let him develop for 2-4 years. The key is their QB coaches. Most have gone on to become pretty decent head coaches.

jap1
01-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Here is GB's lineage of QB coaches from the early 90s (when Favre was picked up as a back-up for a few years) until present day.

Their QB coaches since the 90s:

Mariucci, Steve Quarterbacks 1992-95 49ers HC, Lions HC
Mornhinweg, Marty Quarterbacks 1996 Eagles O. Coordinator
Reid, Andy Quarterbacks 1997-98 - Eagles HC
McCarthy, Mike Quarterbacks 1999 Currently the head coach
Bevell, Darrell Quarterbacks 2003-05 O. Coordinator for Seattle
Clements, Tom Quarterbacks 2006-11 Candidate for a few OC jobs

Earlier, I think Nicfre posted about Tom Clements becoming our O. Coordinator. Him and Flynn together here may be an interesting and inriguing thought ... but only after upgrading the OL.

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 08:02 AM
He seems like a good QB. Not sure what would happen with Orton and Cassel though if they signed him. Although if they DO want to sign him, they have plenty of cap room.

dbolan
01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
We don't have near the same supporting cast as the Pack. He would flop due to inexperience.

KCraised
01-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Same here.

Yeah, this guy is throwing for one of the greatest offenses ever (definitely like the Cassel scenario) and I would have to see much more from him before I gave him a lottery payday and a starting job. They said it might affect Rodgers in the MVP voting because maybe a good qb could look fantastic behind this offense....we don't need this question mark again...

70 chiefsfan70
01-04-2012, 08:34 AM
They have a great history of QB coaches. They are good at both identifiying talent and then DEVELOPING it. That, and they have been a decent team for a long time, so they have been able to afford to grab a good to decent QB when they are not in desperate need of one, and let him develop for 2-4 years. The key is their QB coaches. Most have gone on to become pretty decent head coaches.

Now thats the key. So many QB's are stuck in bad positions and can't make the adjustments required for the nfl. This is probably the reason Stanzi did not start this year. (I hope it wasn't because he was worse than Palko)

I think thats why there are so many top 10 pick QB bust. Teams picking top ten usually need a qb to start their rookie year and have bad run games, bad OL's, bad WR's. Many of these QB come out of college in there Jr. year and are very young and can't take the speed, hits, and mental pressure.

Some here may ask why I think the Chiefs should go QB first. Its because I believe our OL is better than most here think. Orton shows us a better OL and run game and I will be the first to say he is not a very good QB.

The problem is there won't be any QB's worth the value of the 11th pick therefore I'm ok with drafting OL, since that is also a very big need.

I would be ok with Flinn or signing Orton and letting either conpete for the starting job.

TopekaRoy
01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow! The bandwagon is cruising in high gear. I hope you all have your seatbelts fastened.

People are getting all excited about Flyn based on one game? This is even worse than the Orton bandwagoners. At least he played 3 games with the Chiefs and has been a starter for years with Chicago and Denver, so we kind of know what we have with him.

Flynn had a great game against the Lions but he was playing with the NFL's best offense against the 23rd ranked defense. Despite making the playoffs, Detroit is really not that good.

Flynn also played extensively in 2 games last year. Against the Lions (again!) he came in for an injured Rodgers (concussion) and had a 62.5 passer rating in a 7-3 loss. His only start last year was the next game against the Patriots. He did lead the Packers to a win 31-27 throwing for only 251 yards with 3 TDs and one INT, so that was pretty good, too.

I'm not saying he is not a good QB, Even having the Packers offense to work with, what he did last week was impressive. But let's keep it in perspective. 2 starts in 4 years is not enough to evaluate him on. I definitely would not be willing to outbid every other NFL team to get him in free agency. I'd rather save the money and take my chances on a rookie QB, but I think we will be fine with the QBs we have now if we address our other offensive needs (OC, o-line) first..

dbolan
01-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Wow! The bandwagon is cruising in high gear. I hope you all have your seatbelts fastened.

People are getting all excited about Flyn based on one game? This is even worse than the Orton bandwagoners. At least he played 3 games with the Chiefs and has been a starter for years with Chicago and Denver, so we kind of know what we have with him.

Flynn had a great game against the Lions but he was playing with the NFL's best offense against the 23rd ranked defense. Despite making the playoffs, Detroit is really not that good.

Flynn also played extensively in 2 games last year. Against the Lions (again!) he came in for an injured Rodgers (concussion) and had a 62.5 passer rating in a 7-3 loss. His only start last year was the next game against the Patriots. He did lead the Packers to a win 31-27 throwing for only 251 yards with 3 TDs and one INT, so that was pretty good, too.

I'm not saying he is not a good QB, Even having the Packers offense to work with, what he did last week was impressive. But let's keep it in :thumbup1: take my chances on a rookie QB, but I think we will be fine with the QBs we have now if we address our other offensive needs (OC, o-line) first..

:thumbup1:

Ryfo18
01-04-2012, 11:19 AM

They lost that game 31-27.

TopekaRoy
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
They lost that game 31-27.
You are right. My bad.

So he is 1-1 as a starter and 1-2 in games were he had the majority of snaps.

... with a team that went to the Super Bowl last year.

Hayvern
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
My issue with Flynn is the same one we had with Cassel. Flynn has a great team around him so it will hide his weaknesses a little. Cassel had the same thing when he came in here.

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
My issue with Flynn is the same one we had with Cassel. Flynn has a great team around him so it will hide his weaknesses a little. Cassel had the same thing when he came in here.True. It's hard to judge untill he plays for a team without such an elite offense.

Canada
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I'm not saying he is not a good QB, Even having the Packers offense to work with, what he did last week was impressive. But let's keep it in perspective. 2 starts in 4 years is not enough to evaluate him on. I definitely would not be willing to outbid every other NFL team to get him in free agency. I'd rather save the money and take my chances on a rookie QB, but I think we will be fine with the QBs we have now if we address our other offensive needs (OC, o-line) first..

Well by this logic we should not get excited over any QB. Anyone who is a proven winner has a job and wont be going anywhere. Of the FA QBs available Matt Flynn is the best choice. Otherwise draft another QB who will not be ready to play right away.

GB has a history of backup/scout team QB's who've become successful starters:

Matt Hasselbeck
Kurt Warner
Ty Detmer (decent enough)
Brett Favre (only a backup for 2 games, but still...)
Aaron Rodgers

We need a QB....saving money means jack sh!t to me seeing as we are millions under the cap. We have saved money before on rookie QBs yet here we are, still having the same QB conversation year after year.

Canada
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
My issue with Flynn is the same one we had with Cassel. Flynn has a great team around him so it will hide his weaknesses a little. Cassel had the same thing when he came in here.So what is the better alternative?? Sure...he might be like Cassel, OR he might be like Rogers.

nicfre2011
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Well by this logic we should not get excited over any QB. Anyone who is a proven winner has a job and wont be going anywhere. Of the FA QBs available Matt Flynn is the best choice. Otherwise draft another QB who will not be ready to play right away.

GB has a history of backup/scout team QB's who've become successful starters:

Matt Hasselbeck
Kurt Warner
Ty Detmer (decent enough)
Brett Favre (only a backup for 2 games, but still...)
Aaron Rodgers

We need a QB....saving money means jack sh!t to me seeing as we are millions under the cap. We have saved money before on rookie QBs yet here we are, still having the same QB conversation year after year.

Good points. This gets really interesting IF Phillbin is hired as the head coach (and I would LOVE it if he brings Tom Clements as the KC OC!).

TopekaRoy
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Of the FA QBs available Matt Flynn is the best choice.

How do you know that? Can you tell me with absolute certainty after one good game that he is better than any if the other free agent QBs available? You might be certain, but you certainly might be wrong.

By the way, he's definitely not going anywhere, but Drew Brees is also a free agent next year.

Just sayin'. :D

Otherwise draft another QB who will not be ready to play right away.
You mean draft and develop our own quarterback like other teams (including Green Bay) do all the time? Great idea. I wonder why the Chiefs never thought of that.

Tha't what I said I would prefer.

Canada
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
How do you know that? Can you tell me with absolute certainty after one good game that he is better than any if the other free agent QBs available? You might be certain, but you certainly might be wrong.

No...you cant tell that about any one. If you could, everyone would win Super Bowls all the time. I can quite confidently say that he will not be any worse than what we have now with the possibility of being better.

By the way, he's definitely not going anywhere, but Drew Brees is also a free agent next year.

Just sayin'. :D

We could also get Payton Manning but Im looking at things that might actually happen.

You mean draft and develop our own quarterback like other teams (including Green Bay) do all the time? Great idea. I wonder why the Chiefs never thought of that.

Tha't what I said I would prefer.

The Chiefs have thought of that....it didnt work. Drafting a guy would be great but it wont help us this season. Im not in any way saying not to draft a guy, but I would like a QB who can help us win NOW. We are on the verge of a great team but we have been held back by QB play I guess going into next season with Cassel and Orton would be OK if we build a team around them, but I want to do better than alright. I want to win. To do that you are going to have to take a chance on someone.

Drew Brees
Alex Smith
Donovan McNabb
Jason Campbell
Chris Redman
Derek Anderson
Shaun Hill
Drew Stanton
Brady Quinn
David Garrard
Luke McCown
Chad Henne
Sage Rosenfels
David Carr
Mark Brunell
Kevin O'Connell
Kyle Boller
Vince Young
Charlie Batch
Dennis Dixon
Byron Leftwich
Charlie Whitehurst
A.J. Feeley
Josh Johnson
Rex Grossman
Richard Bartel
Max Hall
Tyler Palko
Brian Hoyer
Chase Daniel

Take Drew Brees off the list and who is the guaranteed guy you are looking for?? Throw into the mix that we are currently interviewing Joe Philbin (Packers OC) and I dont see a better candidate...unless like I said, we want to stick with Cassel and Orton

okikcfan
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
We all have an opinion around here Canada but remember, when you give it your either a Hater, man crusher or a bandwagoner....
Been there, done that...just sayin

Canada
01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
We all have an opinion around here Canada but remember, when you give it your either a Hater, man crusher or a bandwagoner....
Been there, done that...just sayinI've been called every name in the book on this site. I dont much give a sh!t though. We all have different points of view... Either agree with me or shut the fu*k up!! :D :bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
01-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Been there, done that...just sayin
You forgot us Homers!
We all are fans of the NFL, and most members are Chiefs!
:beer: :bananen_smilies046: