PDA

View Full Version : THE BIG QB CONTROVERCY

kenny1937
10-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Sorry for the big build up, but Herm Edwards has nipped this one in the bud (as Barny, with his one bullet used to say), Trent Is Our Quarterback and will take the snaps when he returns. Trent said that they are taking it slow and cautious, he might be back mid November, but more likely at the end of November. Like Coach says, you can't believe the Sports Guys, they just rattle to be rattling, take your time Trent, we want you whole and ready to kick you know what when you come back.

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Seahawks!!

:pint: :pint: yum yum :pint: :pint:

Guru
10-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh no, does this mean we will have another playoff year where the head coach starts the wrong QB out of pride (Grbac)?

J/K :-D

kenny1937
10-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Guru wrote:
Oh no, does this mean we will have another playoff year where the head coach starts the wrong QB out of pride (Grbac)?

J/K :-D

Relax M'Man, We won't let Elvis in the House, no matter how hard he begs, Herm won't start the wrong QB, an offensive lineman maybe, or two or three or more, but the wrong QB, never! (grin) (me too)jk that is.

:pint: 8-) :lol:

Guru
10-25-2006, 12:46 AM
I will say this much, if Green comes back in the next few weeks, then you start Green if we make the playoffs. NO matter what.

Now if Green is out until after week 14 or 15, then I say run the table with Huard.

Chiefster
10-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Guru wrote:
I will say this much, if Green comes back in the next few weeks, then you start Green if we make the playoffs. NO matter what.

Now if Green is out until after week 14 or 15, then I say run the table with Huard.

Agreed; but then give Green the opportunity to compete for the job next year; because the problem you run into if we run the tables with Huard is that now he and his agent will expect to him to be the starter next season. But, then again I could just be talkin out of my shorts. :hammer:

Oh, love the pretty red stars BTW! :pint:

kenny1937
10-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Guru wrote:

I agree, there is wisdom in that, Huard will be ready, and Trent will be a bit rusty due to the inactivity at his position, and it is nothing against Trent, it is just the circumstances.

8-) :lol: :pint:

Chiefster
10-25-2006, 01:19 AM
kenny1937 wrote:

Guru wrote:

I agree, there is wisdom in that, Huard will be ready, and Trent will be a bit rusty due to the inactivity at his position, and it is nothing against Trent, it is just the circumstances.

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The S

Yup; you don't want to mess with the chemestry of the team late in the season.

chief31
10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I see no controversey here. The only way I don't start Trent Green, is if he isn't back in time to get his game "on-track". I think that Huard has been incredible, as far as back-ups go. But there is no way that I star him over a haelthy, ready Trent Green. This isn't Elvis Grbac we're talking about here.

Chiefster
10-26-2006, 01:35 AM
chief31 wrote:
I see no controversey here. The only way I don't start Trent Green, is if he isn't back in time to get his game "on-track". I think that Huard has been incredible, as far as back-ups go. But there is no way that I star him over a haelthy, ready Trent Green. This isn't Elvis Grbac we're talking about here.

I agree, but Trent needs to be ready.

Guru
10-27-2006, 12:39 AM
The Croyle watch officially begins.

Chiefster
10-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Guru wrote:

Put him in Coach! Do it; do it!!!! :-D

Guru
10-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

Put him in Coach! Do it; do it!!!! :-D

No! If Huard is even 85%, play Damon. He needs to be unable to move/throw before I want Croyle out there against the defending NFC champs.

kenny1937
10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
I could not have said it better, He may be the QB of the future, but we need Huard now if we are going to make a run for the play offs!

8-) :lol: :hammer:

Chiefster
10-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Guru wrote:
No! If Huard is even 85%, play Damon. He needs to be unable to move/throw before I want Croyle out there against the defending NFC champs.

Yeah I know; I'm guessing I should have used the :roll: instead of the :-D smilie to convey my sarcasm.

kenny1937
10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Tongue in cheek, I get it now, I hear that Little Chiefster tromped Indy, tell him "Great Job"!

milkman
10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

Agreed; but then give Green the opportunity to compete for the job next year; because the problem you run into if we run the tables with Huard is that now he and his agent will expect to him to be the starter next season. But, then again I could just be talkin out of my shorts. :hammer:

You're joking, right?

If Huard expects to start, he needs to find a team that's willing to play a QB on a leash.

Green is the better QB.
Period, end of story.

The Chiefs have simplified the offense for Huard to maximize his strengths, and minimize his weakneesses.

The QB that can open the playbook, and run every play in the book is the QB that starts.

Chiefster
10-29-2006, 12:09 AM
milkman wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

You're joking, right?

If Huard expects to start, he needs to find a team that's willing to play a QB on a leash.

Green is the better QB.
Period, end of story.

The Chiefs have simplified the offense for Huard to maximize his strengths, and minimize his weakneesses.

The QB that can open the playbook, and run every play in the book is the QB that starts.

Nope I wasn’t joking, but then again I'm, admittedly, not as knowledgeable of the game as you are. :-D

kenny1937
10-29-2006, 04:45 PM
The question has been answered, Chief's 35, Seahags 28,
Huard looked mighty good out there, Way to go Chief's!

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Rams!!

Chiefster
10-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm glad we pulled out a win, but we should have put them away early in the third. Those kinds of mistakes will be very costly on the road.

Guru
10-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Chiefster wrote:
I'm glad we pulled out a win, but we should have put them away early in the third. Those kinds of mistakes will be very costly on the road.

Wow, you and I are on the same page yet again.

Chiefster
10-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Guru wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

Wow, you and I are on the same page yet again.

We are in tune one with the other my young padawan. :hammer:

...Couldn't resist.

Guru
10-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Chiefster wrote:

We are in tune one with the other my young padawan. :hammer:

...Couldn't resist.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

kenny1937
10-31-2006, 02:22 AM
Wow! two sappy faces fighting with balloons, I was just wondering which padawan is Guru, and which one is Chiefster? (grin), just couldn't resist.

Chiefster
10-31-2006, 02:52 AM
kenny1937 wrote:
Wow! two sappy faces fighting with balloons, I was just wondering which padawan is Guru, and which one is Chiefster? (grin), just couldn't resist.

You shall pay for your insolence. :-x

Guru
10-31-2006, 02:53 AM
kenny1937 wrote:

Ironically, I would be Vader.

Chiefster
10-31-2006, 02:54 AM
Guru wrote:

kenny1937 wrote:

This is true, and actually I would not be pictured. :-x

kenny1937
10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

kenny1937 wrote:

This is true, and actually I would not be pictured. :-x

Now I am cornfused, if Guru is "Dad" then Chiefster would be crying, but back to more serious matters, what do you think, If Huard continues to shine, espeacially if he engeneers some road wins,(starting hopefully with St. Louis), do you go all the way with him? I know that according to Herm that when Trent is deemed healthy, he will be taking snaps, but I was just curious what you out there in radio land, er I mean Chief land think of the situation. (Merely for conversation, understand), because I like Trent and would start him also.

Chiefster
10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The media keeps tryin to paint Herm into a QB controversy corner, but he ain't havin no part of it. :-D

kenny1937
10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Chiefster wrote:
That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The media keeps tryin to paint Herm into a QB controversy corner, but he ain't havin no part of it. :-D

Exactly, Good Post M'Man!

Chiefster
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
kenny1937 wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

Exactly, Good Post M'Man!

Yeah I gotta commend Herm for standing his ground; this isn't the only time that this has come up.

kenny1937
11-01-2006, 12:52 AM
I feel that the Offensive line has got to protect Huard, to the best of their ability, we can't afford to lose him until Trent gets back behind center. This in no time for OTJ training for the Rookie, we must continue our winning streak to have a play off chance.

milkman
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
kenny1937 wrote:
If Huard continues to shine, espeacially if he engeneers some road wins,(starting hopefully with St. Louis), do you go all the way with him? I know that according to Herm that when Trent is deemed healthy, he will be taking snaps, but I was just curious what you out there in radio land, er I mean Chief land think of the situation. (Merely for conversation, understand), because I like Trent and would start him also.

Huard has done far better than I ever anticipated that he could.

However, the fact is that he has limitations that some good defenses can, and will, exploit eventually.

Mike Solari has created game plans that minimize his weaknesses, and that have really maximized his strengths.

But Trent doesn't have the same limitations.
He has full command of this offense, reads the entire defense (unlike Huard), and is a better, and more accurate, passer.

Because of those qualities, if (and I stresss the word "if") the Chiefs manage to reach the playoffs, Trent Green gives us the best chance at QB to advance.

I do hope that when Trent returns, Solari doesn't forget he has Tony Gonzales the way that Al Saunders did.

Just because you have a talented QB that doesn't limit what you can do in this offense doesn't mean that you can't utilize one of the best TEs in the NFL.

kenny1937
11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Good Post milkman, I agree, at least Mike had the smarts to minimize Huards weakness, I hope he can call a good Offensive game this week against the Rams.

chief31
11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't understand how anyone can make excuses for Huards excellent play. The "limitations" that were mentioned (not specified) aren't any more severe than one would find in most starting quarterbacks in the N.F.L.
including Trent Green. It isn't that easy to just throw together a gameplan for an incapable quarterback and have success against Marty Schottenheimer or Mike Holmgren led defenses.

I love Trent Green. I expect, if he is ready to play in the next two to three weeks, he will return to the starting quarterback job. But it is just plain silly to undermine what Damon Huard has been doing. He has been proving himself to be a quality starting quarterback in this offense.

While I wouldn't dare to say that we have any kind of a quarterback controversy, I can see where we could soon wind-up with one. If Trent Green does come back within the next couple of games, and struggles. Or, if he doesn't make it back for another five weeks, and Huard has continued to overachieve. Either of these scenarios could send us into a controversy. I would be surprised if Green had any trouble re-adjusting to the game. So, I expect to see him leading the way for the rest of the season, if he gets back in there soon.

Has nobody noticed that Damon Huard has been performing with a moderate serving of pressure? The two-tight-end sets have been fading away. Black and Sampson have been working alone, in space, much more frequently. Albeit, they have performed admirably. But they have still been having some difficulty. Huard has been quick with his delivery, extremely accurate with his throws, and fearlessly throwing when a hit was coming. I noticed alot of this against the Seahags. Primarily, because I was petrified of the prospect of seeing Croyle come in and play.

The point I am making is that Damon Huard is an N.F.L. quarterback. So, when Trent Green returns, the Chiefs have two, very capable quarterbacks, capable of leading this team into the playoffs. :lol:

milkman
11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Huard is not asked to read the entire deffense.
He makes one or two quick reads, then checksdown to LJ in the flat.

He has played outstanding in the last couple of games, and the Chiefs have opened up the offense a little more each week, but he still doesn't have the command of this offense that Trent has, nor the accuracy on deep balls.

When Huard is making reads, he looking at receivers.

When Trent is making reads, he's looking at defenders, and the areas that his receivers should be when he is ready to make his pass.

For the most part, the timing routes have been eliminated from the offense with Huard at QB, as have the deep routes, with the exception of two or three shots a game.

Everyone talks about that long pass that Kennison caught, but hardly anyone realizes that was a poorly thrown ball that tested the limit of Huard's range.

Chiefster
11-02-2006, 01:24 AM
milkman wrote:
Huard is not asked to read the entire deffense.
He makes one or two quick reads, then checksdown to LJ in the flat.

He has played outstanding in the last couple of games, and the Chiefs have opened up the offense a little more each week, but he still doesn't have the command of this offense that Trent has, nor the accuracy on deep balls.

When Huard is making reads, he looking at receivers.

When Trent is making reads, he's looking at defenders, and the areas that his receivers should be when he is ready to make his pass.

For the most part, the timing routes have been eliminated from the offense with Huard at QB, as have the deep routes, with the exception of two or three shots a game.

Everyone talks about that long pass that Kennison caught, but hardly anyone realizes that was a poorly thrown ball that tested the limit of Huard's range.

Kennison made him look good on that play. Don't get me wrong he has played well for a back up and the OC has done a good job altering the offense to accommodate Huards strengths and gradually opening things up.

kenny1937
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
chief31 quote:Has nobody noticed that Damon Huard has been performing with a moderate serving of pressure? The two-tight-end sets have been fading away. Black and Sampson have been working alone, in space, much more frequently. Albeit, they have performed admirably. But they have still been having some difficulty. Huard has been quick with his delivery, extremely accurate with his throws, and fearlessly throwing when a hit was coming. I noticed alot of this against the Seahags. Primarily, because I was petrified of the prospect of seeing Croyle come in and play.

That is a good point, our offensive line play has improved
and I too was aprehensive about the prospect of OTJ training for the Rookie.

Chiefster
11-02-2006, 02:16 AM
The O line is also aided by the play calling; such as quick passes and screens.

kenny1937
11-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Exactly, and the play callers better stay with what works Sunday against the Rams.

chief31
11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Glad you responded. Though I find it to be very presumptuous to assume that, with all of the time that Huard has within this offense, and working with Trent Green, that Damon hasn't figured out how to look-off defenders. He has thrown one interception. If he were staring down his recievers, defenders would have jumped more routs and come-up with some pics. I haven't seen any of his passes that should have been picked-off. Including the one interception he did throw.

kenny1937
11-02-2006, 10:40 PM
With the things as they are, I just want the offensive line to take care of Huard, at least for the next two games, he has done an excellent job in taking over for the injured Trent, and with Trent maybe coming back in time for the Faders, I don't want to see anything happen to Damon, we must do everything we can do to keep our playoff hopes alive and kicking.

milkman
11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
chief31 wrote:
Glad you responded. Though I find it to be very presumptuous to assume that, with all of the time that Huard has within this offense, and working with Trent Green, that Damon hasn't figured out how to look-off defenders. He has thrown one interception. If he were staring down his recievers, defenders would have jumped more routs and come-up with some pics. I haven't seen any of his passes that should have been picked-off. Including the one interception he did throw.

I didn't say he's staring down receivers.

He's taking quick looks, and moving to his next option, but he's primarily limited to one side of the field, and he's just reading two receivers before he's making his decision.

And his decision making has been outstanding.

But his reads are the receivers, wher Trent reads the defenders.

The Chiefs have taken the timing routes out of the game plan.

That's the difference.

Trent reads the entire field, where Damon is just reading one half of the field.

kenny1937
11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
chief31 quote:Let me just add in a hearty "NYA-NYA-NA-NYA-NYA!!!!" I feel that usually helps to heat-up these kind of discussions

:lol: :lol: That and a good YAAAAHOOOOO, works everytime, way to go chief31, GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Rams!!

Chiefster
11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
kenny1937 wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

Exactly, and the play callers better stay with what works Sunday against the Rams.

Yep! :hammer:

chief31
11-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm abit too busy to go back and watch right now, so, I'll just grant you the one side of the field argument.(for the moment) But, you cannot succeed as an N.F.L. quarterback by reading the recievers. I guarantee that Damon Huard is reading defenses. You just don't get on the field without knowing how to read a defense. He has been on the team for more than two full seasons now, and in the league, for nearly ten years now.

Also, the timing routes are in the gameplan. I have seen them. Prime example; last Sunday, against the Seahags, Huard threw an quick out to Dante Hall. It was clear that Hall made a mistake, and did not run the correct route. The result was an incomplete pass. There were several other examples too, but, alas, I would have to go back and rewatch some games.

I can't buy into the argument about the Chiefs designing the offense around a mediocre quarterback. The fact is, with a first time O-coordinator, and Herm Edwards as head coach, I simply can't envision it. Not to mention, that this offense looks AWEFULLY familiar to me. It looks like the offense I've been watching for several years now.

I think the world of Trent Green, but let me point out what Huard is doing better than Trent does. Huard gets rid of the football. Trent (god love him) has always had a bad habit of holding the ball a little too long. Probably, in part, due to the fact that with Roaf, Tait, Welbourne, Shields, Waters, Richardson, Gonzales, Dunn and Weigmann. They may have been guilty of spoiling Green with too much time to decide and throw.

Check out the touchdown pass to Kennison in the Chargers game, You can see him staring-down the saftey, before a quick pump-fake and an, equally quick, turn to the right throw to Kennison in the end zone for six.

Damon Huard is a good N.F.L. quarterback.

Let me just add in a hearty "NYA-NYA-NA-NYA-NYA!!!!" I feel that usually helps to heat-up these kind of discussions.

chief31
11-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I want to address the opinion about the deep-ball Huard threw to Kennison against the Seahags. It was clearly a poorly thrown ball. But, upon review of the throw, Huard was obviously a bit off-balance when he released it. He has more arm strength than that. Though, not nearly as strong an arm as Green has.

milkman
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
When I say that Huard is looking at the receivers, I am being a bit simplistic.
I do know that he is also reading the defense, but unlike Trent, he isn't usually throwing to a spot, but rather to the receiver.

And, yes, they are running some of the shorter timing routes, i.e slants and quick outs, but not the deeper stuff.

I am not trying to take anything away from Huard.
He is playing remarkably well.

But the offense has been simplified to his specific strengths.

You are right, to an extent, as to the reason that Huard is getting rid of the ball quicker.
But another reason for that is that his release is not as quick as Trent's, and the Chiefs want him to make quick decisions to get the ball out of there before the pressure comes.

I would actually like to see the Chiefs continue to play this scaled down version when Trent gets back out on to the field.

With Black and Sampson on the edges, if they open up the playbook again, Trent could get killed.

Chiefster
11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
chief31 wrote:
I want to address the opinion about the deep-ball Huard threw to Kennison against the Seahags. It was clearly a poorly thrown ball. But, upon review of the throw, Huard was obviously a bit off-balance when he released it. He has more arm strength than that. Though, not nearly as strong an arm as Green has.

Kennison finally stepped up and earned his pay check.

chief31
11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes, that was a fantastic catch.

Chiefster
11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
milkman wrote:
When I say that Huard is looking at the receivers, I am being a bit simplistic.
I do know that he is also reading the defense, but unlike Trent, he isn't usually throwing to a spot, but rather to the receiver.

And, yes, they are running some of the shorter timing routes, i.e slants and quick outs, but not the deeper stuff.

I am not trying to take anything away from Huard.
He is playing remarkably well.

But the offense has been simplified to his specific strengths.

You are right, to an extent, as to the reason that Huard is getting rid of the ball quicker.
But another reason for that is that his release is not as quick as Trent's, and the Chiefs want him to make quick decisions to get the ball out of there before the pressure comes.

I would actually like to see the Chiefs continue to play this scaled down version when Trent gets back out on to the field.

With Black and Sampson on the edges, if they open up the playbook again, Trent could get killed.

Agreed!

kenny1937
11-04-2006, 01:10 AM
milkman quote:"I would actually like to see the Chiefs continue to play this scaled down version when Trent gets back out on to the field.

Glad to see you in the fray milkman, I think your reasoning is valid, and the one thing I don't want to see is Trent laying on the ground again, because of the inability to protect him in some of the more timely developing plays.

Guru
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
If anyone allows Green to get hit like that again, they will be shot. :hammer:

kenny1937
11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Guru wrote:

Agreed, right after the Tar and Feather Ceremony!

GO CHIEFS :hammer: The Rams

Chiefster
11-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Guru wrote:

Nah, git a rope!

kenny1937
11-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

Nah, git a rope!

Do we have enough rope?

GO CHIEFS :hammer: The Rams!!

chief31
11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I have decided that Damon has said enough about this argument today. So, I'll just let you mull over what he keeps trying to tell you. I'm not sure how many times he will have to tell everybody, but I think he's saying it loud enough to whereas I don't think I can say it any better.

Guru
11-05-2006, 07:21 PM
chief31 wrote:
I have decided that Damon has said enough about this argument today. So, I'll just let you mull over what he keeps trying to tell you. I'm not sure how many times he will have to tell everybody, but I think he's saying it loud enough to whereas I don't think I can say it any better.

While you mull it over, check out my new sig.....

kenny1937
11-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Great sig, my friend, He clocked him really GOOD!

GO CHIEFS :hammer: Miami!!

Old_admin
11-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Wow. That is one heck of a hit in your sig!

Guru
11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
admin wrote:

Poor guy too. It was the last, meaningless play of the game.

He should deck the QB for putting him in that position.

kenny1937
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Guru wrote:

admin wrote:

:lol: True, very true, he ought to make ham"bulger" out of him :lol: :lol:

Chiefster
11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Guru wrote:

admin wrote:

For sure; that guy didn't know what zip code he was in.

kenny1937
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I think that instead of trying to catch the ball, I would run a curl pattern back to the huddle and throw Bulger
(grin) :lol:

chief31
11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Oh, HELL YEAH!!!! That is nice. I am (as always) Jealous as hell of your signature.

Chiefster
11-06-2006, 07:16 PM
kenny1937 wrote:
I think that instead of trying to catch the ball, I would run a curl pattern back to the huddle and throw Bulger
(grin) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chief31
11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Quarterback controversy is now in effect. Trent needs to, not only, hurry, but perform immediately, when he does get on the field. I would have to have a very short leash on Trent when he gets back in there. I hope Trent comes in and is capable of performing at the same, high level that we are accustomed to seeing. If he struggles in the first half of a game, I think you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win.

Chiefster
11-06-2006, 10:33 PM
I really see no QB controvercy here. If Trent struggles and is unable to performe as well as Huard then you go with Huard. This is plain and simple; as it stands at the moment Trent is the man.

kenny1937
11-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, We in the Espn Broadcast Booth strongly agrees and disagrees with that statement. We, being Experts at all things concerning Sports, will give you our opinion, the only one that matters by the way, and we have decided that KC will have a QB controversy, LE controversy, Split T controversy, and a who gets to carry the water bottles controversy. along with the single wing controversy, My Man Tony will tell you ignorant people on the Chiefs board the fallacy of haveing a QB that is too short, as he so expertly pointed out as the Seahawks absolutely trounced the Raiders 16 to 0. The Seahawks QB is to short, We in the Broadcast Booth really don't know how Seattle won that game with a too short QB. We don't get to say nice things about you in Kansas City, because you are not on Monday night, so you will have to be satisfied with our telling you all about the various controversies going on in Kansas City, Say Goodnight Tony. Duh He Not very tall! Good night!

The Broadcast Crew , Monday Night Football.

Well I guess we have been put in our place! the only thing I have to say to you Crew, is GO CHIEFS :hammer: Miami!!