PDA

View Full Version : Packers O.Coordinator to be interviewed

jap1
01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Kansas City Chiefs to interview Joe Philbin of Green Bay Packers, source says - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7422913/kansas-city-chiefs-interview-joe-philbin-green-bay-packers-source-says)

I am assuming it is in relation to the head coaching position.

okikcfan
01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Wow this is interesting, Thanks jap1...The question remains..

wolfpack
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Mcarty or how ever you spell it, calls the plays. but hes is part of a great system.

nicfre2011
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
If Philbin is qualified and interviews well, then this is an excellent choice...also, I would love it if he were hired and brought over Tom Clements as the offensive coordinator.

Jrudi
01-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Like the look.

I'm scared that if we don't promote Romeo to HC we may be looking for a DC as well.

it would be nice to keep Crennel on defense since he has done so well on that side of the ball. never know though...

Jrudi
01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Just thought of this....

Either Philbin is hired as HC or we keep Crennel at HC & DC. Philbin comes in as OC/assistant HC and he brings a highly sought after free agent along with him....Matt Flynn!:punk: duhn duhn duhnnnn.....

Might be kinda cool if you think about it. Flynn's fairly young, just went off in the same system that would be put in place here if Philbin is brought over.

I think I likey....

josh1971
01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Ugh. Starting completely over on defense would suck in an epic way.

TopekaRoy
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Hmm.

I would love to keep Crennel as HC and bring in Philbin as OC but there is no way he would leave the packers for a lateral move.

If we hire him as HC then Crennel is likely as good as gone and we will need both a new DC and a new OC. That means a completely new coaching staff (HC, DC, OC and probably whoever they want under them), and at least a year of "adjusting" to the new staff.

I think I would prefer a little more "stability" that would come with keeping Crennel at HC.

toyotapower
01-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't want to wait another month for the packers to lose, too many coordinators will be gone by then. Todd haley and clancy pendergast anyone?

Jrudi
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Hmm.

I would love to keep Crennel as HC and bring in Philbin as OC but there is no way he would leave the packers for a lateral move.

If we hire him as HC then Crennel is likely as good as gone and we will need both a new DC and a new OC. That means a completely new coaching staff (HC, DC, OC and probably whoever they want under them), and at least a year of "adjusting" to the new staff.

I think I would prefer a little more "stability" that would come with keeping Crennel at HC.

I'm really on the keeping Crennel bandwagon as well for the exact reasons you stated.

Consistency, and familiarity in the NFL can have a big impact on the success of a team. Look at what happened to the Eagles with the short offseason, labeled as the dream team because of all of the parts that were brought in sounded good,

But the reality was, all of these pieces had to adjust to a new system as well as the DC adjusting to becoming a 1st time DC and learning the strengths of his new players and putting them in a position to succeed.

There is a reason the Packers, Steelers, and Patriots have been good for a long time.... They have tenured HC's and keep a consistent philosophy, while retaining their core players they developed in the system they continue to implement.

I think it will go along way to keep Crennel on as HC...If not we actually might be starting over again (HC, OC, & DC)

matthewschiefs
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't want to wait another month for the packers to lose, too many coordinators will be gone by then. Todd haley and clancy pendergast anyone?

That's why I don't really like to see this. Chances are we are going to have to wait a while to talk to him and it will be late in the offseason before we hire a Head coach. Not to mention this is anther guy who has never been a head coach. It could work out much better then how Haley worked out. But It could also be about the same. I want to see the head coach brought in much sooner this time.

jap1
01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
That's why I don't really like to see this. Chances are we are going to have to wait a while to talk to him and it will be late in the offseason before we hire a Head coach. Not to mention this is anther guy who has never been a head coach. It could work out much better then how Haley worked out. But It could also be about the same. I want to see the head coach brought in much sooner this time.

I believe you can request to interview coaches for teams in the playoffs during their bye weeks. Since GB has a bye, that is probably why this is coming out now. We are probably interviewing him this week.

Granted, we wouldnt be able to actually hire him until their season is completed, but we would COULD know that he is our man by the end of the week.

Who knows, we may be interviewing him as OC/Asst HC. He isnt the one who calls the plays in GB, so maybe this would be considered a step-up for him, and a stepping stone toward becoming a HC.

Jrudi
01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I believe you can request to interview coaches for teams in the playoffs during their bye weeks. Since GB has a bye, that is probably why this is coming out now. We are probably interviewing him this week.

Granted, we wouldnt be able to actually hire him until their season is completed, but we would COULD know that he is our man by the end of the week.

Who knows, we may be interviewing him as OC/Asst HC. He isnt the one who calls the plays in GB, so maybe this would be considered a step-up for him, and a stepping stone toward becoming a HC.

I'm pretty sure this is coming out beacuase the reports are that he is going to be in KC tonight (Wed. January 4th)

Hey, Weiss let the Chiefs know he was moving on before our season was done, why could he??

I've been saying this and I hope this is the case but I would like to see him as OC/Assistant HC with Romeo as our HC.

N TX Dave
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure this is coming out beacuase the reports are that he is going to be in KC tonight (Wed. January 4th)

Hey, Weiss let the Chiefs know he was moving on before our season was done, why could he??

I've been saying this and I hope this is the case but I would like to see him as OC/Assistant HC with Romeo as our HC.

The difference with Weiss was he was not going to another NFL team which has rules against other teams hiring their coaches during the season and the colleges do not sign that agreement.

Jrudi
01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I did just see a report on NFL.com from Micheal Lombardi that the interview is for the HC position.

although this may be an assumption just because the guy is being interviewed, so I guess we still wouldn't know.

jap1
01-04-2012, 04:32 PM
So Philbin is apparently 50 years old. I just assumed he was younger. I think that is something to consider, that he isnt a "young up and comer" which means he may be less inclined to consider asst HC position for a few years. Then again, I dont know the guy or what he wants...

Ryfo18
01-04-2012, 09:15 PM
If Philbin is qualified and interviews well, then this is an excellent choice...also, I would love it if he were hired and brought over Tom Clements as the offensive coordinator.

Then sign Matt Flynn!

slc chief
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm really on the keeping Crennel bandwagon as well for the exact reasons you stated.

Consistency, and familiarity in the NFL can have a big impact on the success of a team. Look at what happened to the Eagles with the short offseason, labeled as the dream team because of all of the parts that were brought in sounded good,

But the reality was, all of these pieces had to adjust to a new system as well as the DC adjusting to becoming a 1st time DC and learning the strengths of his new players and putting them in a position to succeed.

There is a reason the Packers, Steelers, and Patriots have been good for a long time.... They have tenured HC's and keep a consistent philosophy, while retaining their core players they developed in the system they continue to implement.

I think it will go along way to keep Crennel on as HC...If not we actually might be starting over again (HC, OC, & DC)
the reason those teams are so succesfull is because they have franchise quarterbacks

2010chiefs
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I hope either one is willing to compromise and be o.k with being the OC or that Romeo is o.k with DC duties.

It's all about winning Championships and these two can do that!

TopekaRoy
01-05-2012, 01:01 AM
The only way I could see the Chiefs doing that is if they have already committed to Crennel as HC (which would be fine with me). You can't be interviewing head coaches and telling them, "Hey, good news, buddy. We've already got your staff all picked out for you so you are good to go!"

You can, however tell candidates, "We really like Crennel as our DC so we will only consider you if you are willing to keep him at that position.:

okikcfan
01-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Vince Lombardi said on Inside the NFL tonight That Romeo Crennel will be staying as HC. Fisher does not want the Job in KC...

toyotapower
01-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Vince Lombardi said on Inside the NFL tonight That Romeo Crennel will be staying as HC. Fisher does not want the Job in KC...

Vince has spoken from the grave!

okikcfan
01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Vince has spoken from the grave!

:lol: Michael, ooop's, who gave me that last beer? :whipping1:

Jrudi
01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
the reason those teams are so succesfull is because they have franchise quarterbacks

I would agree with you on that as well.

But the HC's have been tenured on all of the teams. They don't Hire and Fire within 2-3 years like most teams.

Steelers:

Cowher: 92'-2006
Tomlin: 2007- Present

Pats:
Belichik: 2000- Present

Packers:
Sherman: 2000-2005
McCarthy: 2006- Present

Ravens:
Billick: 1999-2007
Harbaugh: 2008-Present

But I do agree that having a franchise QB has a lot to do with these teams' success.

chief31
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM

The reason they have franchise QBs is because they don't rebuild their offense every year.
:D

Seek
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Like the look.

I'm scared that if we don't promote Romeo to HC we may be looking for a DC as well.

it would be nice to keep Crennel on defense since he has done so well on that side of the ball. never know though...

So, Are we sure we won't be looking for a DC even if Crennel was hired as HC.

He has already made the comment to the media about trying to juggle both responsibilities.

Many people trashed Haley for taking on two roles saying he needed to just be an HC and not both.

dbolan
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

He has already made the comment to the media about trying to juggle both responsibilities.

Many people trashed Haley for taking on two roles saying he needed to just be an HC and not both.

Very true.

besides..As I mentioned in another thread....No one is busting down Romeo's door to fill their HC or DC position.

Although, I could see him going back to NE due to their defensive woes! LOL! BUT, Bellichik is not going to retire any sooner than Romeo is...So no hope of an HC job there in the near future either.

Look at Mike Tomlin....He let's Dick Lebeau run the Defense and rightly so. We need a coach that would do the same while he focuses on the offense

jap1
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM

I think we would be foolish to not get a DC if Crennel was HC. It would likely be someone that Crennel wanted, though.

marloweopatchiefs
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Packers' Joe Philbin Interviewing With Dolphins, Too - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/5/2685258/green-bay-packers-joe-philbin-miami-dolphins)

2010chiefs
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Maybe Eric Mangini!

Chiefster
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Packers' Joe Philbin Interviewing With Dolphins, Too - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/5/2685258/green-bay-packers-joe-philbin-miami-dolphins)

Merged these threads.

chief31
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I think we would be foolish to not get a DC if Crennel was HC. It would likely be someone that Crennel wanted, though.

I think it would insane to tell our next HC how to do his job.

If it's Crennel, and he wants to run the defense, then let him. If it doesn't go great the first year, and he still wants to do it, let him.

Otherwise you will never be able to appease a HC.

Chiefster
01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
The defense did run very well the last three games with Crennel at both helms as it were.

Bike
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I trashed Haley because I felt he was an incompetent HC. I have stated as much since his name was first announced. I thought it was a mistake then and obviously Pioli and Hunt realized it was a mistake now. Good OC, not so good HC. And definitely not both at the same time.

Jrudi
01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Maybe Eric Mangini!

Heard this tossed around a bit and think I would like it.

Romeo as HC, Mangini as DC, and bring in a creative OC! I like it.

Plus I like the idea that Mangini runs a similar style of defense as Romeo, so Romeo would trust him to run the D.