PDA

View Full Version : RB's: Ray Rice

dbolan
01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Isn't he a 2012 Free Agent? Now that would be a nice pick-up! ;-)

Or, draft Trent Richardson

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Just one problem. We already have a star RB in Jamaal Charles

dbolan
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

He is coming off of a MAJOR knee injury. To expect him to be near 100% is very naive.

Regardless...We need to address solid depth at this position whether is be in the FA market or draft day.

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
He is coming off of a MAJOR knee injury. To expect him to be near 100% is very naive.

Regardless...We need to address solid depth at this position whether is be in the FA market or draft day.Ray Rice is a starting RB. He probably wont want to share snaps with another starting RB. Who he would know is our no.1 anyway.

ALso I heard JC is recovering well. In the long term I guess it's better that it happened earlier in the season.

matthewschiefs
01-04-2012, 01:13 PM
We have Charles but this could work. We still gave Jones a lot of carries when Charles was getting the bulk of the work. I think Charles would be willing to take a few less carries to bring him in. I don't know if Rice would.

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
We have Charles but this could work. We still gave Jones a lot of carries when Charles was getting the bulk of the work. I think Charles would be willing to take a few less carries to bring him in. I don't know if Rice would.
Under Haley, Jones was actually the starter. Jones actually had more carries than Charles in 2010. If JC is fully recovered, I dont wanna see him get less carries than the other RB. I mean JC got like 1400 yards with less carries than Jones, imagine how many he would have gotten with more caries.

matthewschiefs
01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Under Haley, Jones was actually the starter. Jones actually had more carries than Charles in 2010. If JC is fully recovered, I dont wanna see him get less carries than the other RB. I mean JC got like 1400 yards with less carries than Jones, imagine how many he would have gotten with more caries.

I kinda liked that they kept Charles carries down. It's less ware and tear on him. And Charles is a smaller guy so I think that's better for him. I also like having more depth. It would be nice if and it's a big IF we were to lose Charles go down for a while again to have someone like Rey to take his place. I think it would be a good move for the Chiefs I just don't really seeing Rice wanting to do it. I think he's going to stay with the Ravens.

SIC J
01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Stop dreaming. LOL

TopekaRoy
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm fine with Battle as the #2 running back, provided that Charles is 100% when he returns. Even without JC the Chiefs were still 15 in rushing yrds, although our yards per carry was much lower.

I wouldn't mind adding rice to the roster as long as he doesn't cost us too much.

okikcfan
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
With a beefed up front Oline he will do much better....

2010chiefs
01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
We definitley need another RB to back up Charles. We are a run first offense.

I rather pick up a running back in the later rounds of the draft though.

okikcfan
01-05-2012, 08:27 AM

This I very much agree with!

okikcfan
01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Michael Bush will be a free agent and nice back up.....

dbolan
01-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm fine with Battle as the #2 running back, provided that Charles is 100% when he returns. Even without JC the Chiefs were still 15 in rushing yrds, although our yards per carry was much lower.

I wouldn't mind adding rice to the roster as long as he doesn't cost us too much.

Aren't we always under the cap? LOL!

dbolan
01-05-2012, 09:15 AM

The picks from the later rounds is what nets a Battle, etc etc.

Nut up and pick a solid back in the first 2 rounds.

dbolan
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
If Monte Ball from Wisconsin is there at our pick, I would take him because I doubt Richardson will be there for us if he comes out.

pojote
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
JC won't last forever, as much as I would like to. We need an RB to groom, I think JC could be an excellent mentor.

TopekaRoy
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Aren't we always under the cap? LOL!
True, but also irrelevant. Just because you have the money to spend, doesn't mean you should overspend for a back-up running back.

We have plenty of cap space now because we are a very young team, but if we want to keep our best players, that means our payroll will have to continue to increase. If Rice were to under perform, his high salary would make it difficult to trade him and tie up money we could spend better elsewhere.

Look at our QB situation now. Cassel is not a bad QB, but most people would agree he is overpaid. Now we have a chance to add Orton which would take care of our back-up QB position, but he will also command a fairly high salary, and you can't have too much money tied up in one position without it hurting you at other positions.

That's why a very good rookie RB would be a far better option, but if you go that route, you take a risk of drafting a bust.

It's not easy to get the best player in the league at every position. Even the Packers have the "worst" defense in the NFL.

figcrostic
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Ray Rice is amazing but I would rather have a great line an okay RB then two amazing running backs and an OK to crap line.

OPLookn
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Ray Rice is amazing but I would rather have a great line an okay RB then two amazing running backs and an OK to crap line.

A good line will always make a mediocre running back look like a stud. A stud running back can only do so much with a mediocre line. This discussion has been brought to you by the letter L and the letter J.

dbolan
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Is this not basically the same line as last year when Charles rushed for over 1000 yds and Cassell had a nice year?

So, is Charles an OK RB with a great line or do we have a great line with an OK RB?? lol

okikcfan
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM

I think he will be long gone by our pick at 11 or 12 but do believe it would be a good investment to pick up another solid RB just for the fact JC may not be the player he was before.

figcrostic
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Is this not basically the same line as last year when Charles rushed for over 1000 yds and Cassell had a nice year?

So, is Charles an OK RB with a great line or do we have a great line with an OK RB?? lol

We had an AMAZING RB last year and a trash line, not sure how he will be after his inury.

dbolan
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
We had an AMAZING RB last year and a trash line, not sure how he will be after his inury.

Never heard of a "trash" O-line contributing to a 1400+ yard rusher regardless of who it was...other than Barry Sanders haha

chief31
01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Never heard of a "trash" O-line contributing to a 1400+ yard rusher regardless of who it was...other than Barry Sanders haha

Larry Johnson, 2009 - 2.9 YPC
Charles, 2009 - 5.9 YPC

Thomas Jones, 2010 - 3.7 YPC
Charles, 2010 - 6.4 YPC

Jackie Battle, 2011 - 4.0 YPC
Thomas Jones, 2011 - 3.1 YPC
Charles, 2011 - 6.9 YPC

Jamaal Charles is a very unique talent.

You mentioned Barry Sanders, but even he never had a YPC average like Charles di in 2010.

I think our run-blocking was improved this season (no longer able to rely on Charles to cover up their faults.) But they are improved from very poor, to be decent.

dbolan
01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Larry Johnson, 2009 - 2.9 YPC
Charles, 2009 - 5.9 YPC

Thomas Jones, 2010 - 3.7 YPC
Charles, 2010 - 6.4 YPC

Jackie Battle, 2011 - 4.0 YPC
Thomas Jones, 2011 - 3.1 YPC
Charles, 2011 - 6.9 YPC

Jamaal Charles is a very unique talent.

You mentioned Barry Sanders, but even he never had a YPC average like Charles di in 2010.

I think our run-blocking was improved this season (no longer able to rely on Charles to cover up their faults.) But they are improved from very poor, to be decent.

Very true!

For the record, I like Charles and I was the one arguing to let him play more in his rookie year and to keep him when others wanted him gone (due to his size).

My vision is a look like New Orleans in the RB arena.

Simply put, even though I would start Charles but limit his carries next year due to this injury, I would undoubtedly find another SOLID back that can compliment him and/or take the load if he is not ready.

Thomas Jones is done and Battle is not the answer.

There will plenty of very good choices in the 1st and 2nd round to fill in.

nigeriannightmare
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM

We also had an excellent oc last yr.....game planning so to speak. Im gonna be mad as hell if we pass on crennel and he ends up in kansas. That would be the ultimate f u to pioli. Gotta wonder why pioli didnt squash haley after weiss left knowing what we know now.

kcchiefsfan18
01-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I agree we need a solid 2nd back to compliment Charles and be insurance if Charles doesn't come back as good after injury.

I feel like we should try to improve the O-line though before addressing RB.

I agree that Thomas Jones is done, Jackie Battle has a few more carries left in him though.

TopekaRoy
01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I agree we need a solid 2nd back to compliment Charles and be insurance if Charles doesn't come back as good after injury.

I feel like we should try to improve the O-line though before addressing RB.

I agree that Thomas Jones is done, Jackie Battle has a few more carries left in him though.
This.

In 2010, Jones rushed for 900 yards. He won't be able to do that next year, but if we can get somebody who is at least as good as he was then, an improved O-line would make both him and Charles better. We could have 2 1,000 yd rushers, but the O-line has to come first - for the run game and the pass game.

nigeriannightmare
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
This.

In 2010, Jones rushed for 900 yards. He won't be able to do that next year, but if we can get somebody who is at least as good as he was then, an improved O-line would make both him and Charles better. We could have 2 1,000 yd rushers, but the O-line has to come first - for the run game and the pass game.

I see reiff from iowa as an option but havent seen much love on these boards. ???

drstandley31
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Ya need two! 3 if you can swing it.

pojote
01-09-2012, 07:39 AM
A good O-Line will make that you get 4 or 5 YPC consistently, beyond that is on the RB

AkChief49
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
A good O-Line will make that you get 4 or 5 YPC consistently, beyond that is on the RB
Just ask ole 2.7!

dbolan
01-10-2012, 07:58 AM

And having a corp of WR's that can stretch the field also helps.

Look at the WR and RB corp of New Orleans...Along with their TE.

As many top picks as the Chiefs have had over the past few years, their should be alot of fruit coming from those trees in 2012.

THAT is called EXCELLENT scouting and drafting!

ctchiefsfan
01-11-2012, 04:00 AM

That's a hard thing to say. Some RBs get better every game the more carries they get. John Riggins was an example of this. He was a tank. 30 carries in a game was his "magic number". The Scumskins almost never lost if he got over 30 carries. Other Rbs are gazelles. Too many carries in a game wears them out. I'm not sure JC has shown us which he is yet.

nicfre2011
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I actually am really warming up to the idea of adding BenJarvus Green-Ellis as a free agent. I think he could end up getting lost in the mix as the Patriots have Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead (also Kevin Faulk, but he may or may not be back next year), so I could see the Patriots letting him hit the free agent market. He has good size at at 5'-11", 215 lbs. and still is only 26 years old. He could be a good complimentary back to Jamaal Charles next year...and likely wouldn't break the bank or demand a starting role. Edit : And he could give Pioli his Patriot-fix too! LOL

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/12/benjarvus-green-ellis-oprm-4088.jpg

Chief Concerns
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Michael Bush is now a FA and before McFadden went down, was sharing the snaps in Oakland. We could bring him in to keep the carries down for Charles next season.

:kc:

matthewschiefs
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Michael Bush is now a FA and before McFadden went down, was sharing the snaps in Oakland. We could bring him in to keep the carries down for Charles next season.

:kc:

I wouldn't mind seeing that at all. And with all the changes that are going on in Oakland I could very well see him leaving. The question would be would anyone offer him the starting job. I think if theres someone willing to offer that he would go there instead

dbolan
01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I actually am really warming up to the idea of adding BenJarvus Green-Ellis as a free agent. I think he could end up getting lost in the mix as the Patriots have Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead (also Kevin Faulk, but he may or may not be back next year), so I could see the Patriots letting him hit the free agent market. He has good size at at 5'-11", 215 lbs. and still is only 26 years old. He could be a good complimentary back to Jamaal Charles next year...and likely wouldn't break the bank or demand a starting role. Edit : And he could give Pioli his Patriot-fix too! LOL

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/12/benjarvus-green-ellis-oprm-4088.jpg

I would buy into that!

Jrudi
01-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Think I will have to agree with dbolan on this one as well....

Might not be a bad addition to the team. Plus he has had a 1,000 yd season with 13 tds last year, and 11 tds this year on a pass happy team. Wonder what he could do on a run-first team?

AkChief49
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM

" Significantly, he has never fumbled the football in his professional career."-Wikipedia

His 3.7 avg. is a little bit bothersome.(as the Pats have our probowler on the front line:D) He's just been in the league for 4 years. Much rather go FA than pick in the first round for a RB.

nigeriannightmare
01-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Ray Rice is a starting RB. He probably wont want to share snaps with another starting RB. Who he would know is our no.1 anyway.

ALso I heard JC is recovering well. In the long term I guess it's better that it happened earlier in the season.

ive been thinking about this. RB isnt exqctly a position of longevity, it would be wise for both jamaal and ray to split carries. O dont kbow if rice has an ego that would keep him from coming here if we chose to pursue him but it may keeo him and jamaal in the league longer.