PDA

View Full Version : Haley back to Cards???

kcvet
01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9308/php4ee63c4e3dee1.jpg

may get his ole job back

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is expected to talk to former Chiefs coach Todd Haley about a position on the Cardinals coaching staff, according to NFL sources.

Haley, the Cardinals offensive coordinator from 2007 through 2009, was fired by the Chiefs in December when the Chiefs had a 5-8 record. Haley was 19-27 as a head coach and his Chiefs team won the AFC West title in 2010.

Haley and Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt have been friends for years, and Haley was offensive coordinator in 2008 and 2009 when the Cardinals won consecutive NFC West titles.

It's unknown what title Haley would have should he return to the Cardinals, but he likely would be placed in charge of the offense again.

The Cardinals have not been nearly as good on offense since Haley left, but his departure also coincided with the retirement of quarterback Kurt Warner. The Cardinals have had four different starting quarterbacks since Warner retired.

When Haley left, Mike Miller was promoted from receivers coach to passing game coordinator. Russ Grimm was assistant head coach/offensive line and run game coordinator. After that season, Miller was promoted to offensive coordinator, while Grimm remained assistant head coach. He continued to have a strong influence on the offensive game plan.

Whisenhunt would have to create a position for Haley, which would mean either re-organizing his existing coaching staff or adding a coach.

Haley is fiery and emotional, and several Cardinals players, including receiver Larry Fitzgerald, credit Haley with challenging them to become better players.
Haley, however, can be an acquired taste, and not everyone develops it. Haley and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli reportedly had a contentious relationship, a factor that played into Haley's dismissal

source (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2012/01/05/20120105arizona-cardinals-todd-haley-possible-return.html)

dbolan
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Hope he does great there

matthewschiefs
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Good luck to him.

whackojacko58
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
agreed, i agree we needed a change at head coach but hes not hated good for him.

raiderhater79
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Hope he does good there

:chiefs:

Chiefster
01-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Good luck Todd!

AussieChiefsFan
01-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Hope he succeeds there. He improved our team but could only take it so far.

wolfpack
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
see how he does without his kurt there.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Haley is the OC at Pitt...Hope he does well!

Report: Haley is Steelers offensive co-ordinator - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_steelers_haley-16901367)

kcvet
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Haley is the OC at Pitt...Hope he does well!

Report: Haley is Steelers offensive co-ordinator - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_steelers_haley-16901367)

he's safer there

#58ChiefsFan
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I get the feeling that's probably where he wants to be anyway. I would be excited if I were a steeler fan to have him as OC. We play them next year don't we? That ought to be a fun one and may make a national game.

Congrats to Coach Haley and best wishes.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
see how he does without his kurt there.

He will have a VERY good QB there and a NICE corp of WR's.

Considering the injuries they suffered on the OL and the RB's, I see a high positive there for him.

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
He will have a VERY good QB there and a NICE corp of WR's.

Considering the injuries they suffered on the OL and the RB's, I see a high positive there for him.

and stability from top to bottom he wont be able to play games. I mean seriously he chose to start palko to spite pioli. Orton should jave started the bears game. Thank god hainey is as bad a backup as palko.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
and stability from top to bottom he wont be able to play games. I mean seriously he chose to start palko to spite pioli. Orton should jave started the bears game. Thank god hainey is as bad a backup as palko.

Prove it. Oh, that's right..You can't.

Under Tomlin and Labeau, the Steeler players are more "thick skinned". They are proven winners and carry the attitude to back it up. He will not have to carry a canister of baby powder around to help sooth hurt feelings over poor play.

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Prove it. Oh, that's right..You can't.

Under Tomlin and Labeau, the Steeler players are more "thick skinned". They are proven winners and carry the attitude to back it up. He will not have to carry a canister of baby powder around to help sooth hurt feelings over poor play.

Yeah rothlisburger didnt voice his displeasure with managments decision. And if he didnt choose to start palko over orton why did orton come in on the second drive of the game. Haley did not play well with others hence the oc carousel. Weiss is in lawrence which is what 45 min west if kc yeah haley didnt spite anyone and if u believe that i got some beans to sell u. Weiss going to lawrence is a slap in the face to haley period.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
We just don't see eye to eye on some things...No worries!

70 chiefsfan70
02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
We just don't see eye to eye on some things...No worries!

I highly doubt anyone will be worried about that.

chief31
02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah rothlisburger didnt voice his displeasure with managments decision. And if he didnt choose to start palko over orton why did orton come in on the second drive of the game. Haley did not play well with others hence the oc carousel. Weiss is in lawrence which is what 45 min west if kc yeah haley didnt spite anyone and if u believe that i got some beans to sell u. Weiss going to lawrence is a slap in the face to haley period.

Weiss coaching just down the road is more of a slap in the face to The Chiefs, than to Haley, in my opinion.

It seems like Weiss left because he did not like being in the middle of Haley and Pioli, fighting over how Haley would coach the team.

I think allowing Crennel to be HC and still control the defense is a slap to Haley.

The whole issue with Haley seemed to be that he was not being allowed to run the offense and be the HC, and they immediately announce that his successor will be allowed to run the defense and be the HC.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend because you didn't want to go to the opera, then spending the next year at every opera, just to spite her.

I think Pioli is doing a good job overall. But I don't see how anybody can say that he handled his first non-Bellichick HC any better than poorly.

Had Haley won just one more game, and finished the season as The Chiefs did, Pioli may have found himself in the same position he had in New England, where the HC would be perceived as far more valuable than himself.

And I can't help but think the threat of relinquishing power to Todd Haley played a significant part in the decision to fire him.

You just don't hire a guy on performance, if he gets a division crown in his second year, and manages 5-8 with the severity of player losses the next year.

No matter how evil the HC was, you have to know that the other side did something to help feed the animosity there.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Weiss coaching just down the road is more of a slap in the face to The Chiefs, than to Haley, in my opinion.

It seems like Weiss left because he did not like being in the middle of Haley and Pioli, fighting over how Haley would coach the team.

I think allowing Crennel to be HC and still control the defense is a slap to Haley.

The whole issue with Haley seemed to be that he was not being allowed to run the offense and be the HC, and they immediately announce that his successor will be allowed to run the defense and be the HC.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend because you didn't want to go to the opera, then spending the next year at every opera, just to spite her.

I think Pioli is doing a good job overall. But I don't see how anybody can say that he handled his first non-Bellichick HC any better than poorly.

Had Haley won just one more game, and finished the season as The Chiefs did, Pioli may have found himself in the same position he had in New England, where the HC would be perceived as far more valuable than himself.

And I can't help but think the threat of relinquishing power to Todd Haley played a significant part in the decision to fire him.

You just don't hire a guy on performance, if he gets a division crown in his second year, and manages 5-8 with the severity of player losses the next year.

No matter how evil the HC was, you have to know that the other side did something to help feed the animosity there.

I think that Haley being fired was for nothing more then what the team was like. The team was not playing at there best level every week (that's the talent that was playing) It started not just after injuries but at the start of the year 41-7 at arrowhead to the Bills. There was more talent on the team then what was being shown. When a team gets blown out a home to a winless team then can go beat a unbeaten team the team is not playing there best week in and week out. That's why Haley was fired. And I still think it was the right thing to do. Haley was clearly part of what was wrong with the team he had to go IMO.

As for the fact that Romeo is allowed to run the defense. Most coaches will tell you that running a defense is not as hard and doesn't have as much work go into it as running a offense. Defense your mainly just calling out what package you want to run. Your nickel,dime,prevent,ect. Offense every one has a job for just about every different play there is. It's harder to run the offense and coach the team then it is to run the defense and coach a team. I don't think it's a slap to Haley. Since he was fired I don't think Pioli is thinking to much about him.

chief31
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I think that Haley being fired was for nothing more then what the team was like. The team was not playing at there best level every week (that's the talent that was playing) It started not just after injuries but at the start of the year 41-7 at arrowhead to the Bills. There was more talent on the team then what was being shown. When a team gets blown out a home to a winless team then can go beat a unbeaten team the team is not playing there best week in and week out. That's why Haley was fired. And I still think it was the right thing to do. Haley was clearly part of what was wrong with the team he had to go IMO.

As for the fact that Romeo is allowed to run the defense. Most coaches will tell you that running a defense is not as hard and doesn't have as much work go into it as running a offense. Defense your mainly just calling out what package you want to run. Your nickel,dime,prevent,ect. Offense every one has a job for just about every different play there is. It's harder to run the offense and coach the team then it is to run the defense and coach a team. I don't think it's a slap to Haley. Since he was fired I don't think Pioli is thinking to much about him.

I know.

You have made no secret that a loss is not just a loss to you.

No real reason to bother with that again.

But, I guarantee that Pioli has Todd Haley on his mind. There is a pending lawsuit on the docket, and his boss is going to insist that Pioli put some effort into helping with the defense of that suit.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I know.

You have made no secret that a loss is not just a loss to you.

No real reason to bother with that again.

But, I guarantee that Pioli has Todd Haley on his mind. There is a pending lawsuit on the docket, and his boss is going to insist that Pioli put some effort into helping with the defense of that suit.

Where did you here of a pending lawsuit? I haven't heard about that

chief31
02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Where did you here of a pending lawsuit? I haven't heard about that

Oh... Just rumor at this point. But nobody just lets that kind of money go, without resistance.

If The Chiefs are opting to pay for the final year of Haley's contract, they have to be prepared for the case to be heard.

jason1981
02-08-2012, 02:34 AM
all honesty the chiefs should have to pay haley. its a contract. and he wasnt fired for cause or whatever they tryi.g to call it. chiefs are trying renig on their deal. they should honor their deal. im sure he will win in court. i hope he does good in pittsburg. i thought he got the bad end of the stick when he got fired. i liked his attitude but im a hardass as wellwhen it comes to work

dbolan
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
all honesty the chiefs should have to pay haley. its a contract. and he wasnt fired for cause or whatever they tryi.g to call it. chiefs are trying renig on their deal. they should honor their deal. im sure he will win in court. i hope he does good in pittsburg. i thought he got the bad end of the stick when he got fired. i liked his attitude but im a hardass as wellwhen it comes to work

Concerning this whole situation, THAT should be the post of the year!:bananen_smilies046:

OPLookn
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM

There are also behavioral clauses in contracts that allows a team to break the contract. Obviously they're trying to say that Haley broke one of those. If they're just saying we don't like you anymore, go away and we're not paying you then yeah, that won't work. But the way most teams work these days my guess would be that there will be some sort of litigation and a payoff. I'd be shocked if he ever got the amount he was suppose to if he was still here.

TopekaRoy
02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
There are also behavioral clauses in contracts that allows a team to break the contract. Obviously they're trying to say that Haley broke one of those. If they're just saying we don't like you anymore, go away and we're not paying you then yeah, that won't work. But the way most teams work these days my guess would be that there will be some sort of litigation and a payoff. I'd be shocked if he ever got the amount he was suppose to if he was still here.
Yeah, I tend to agree with this. From a business standpoint, it would be foolish not to pay Haley, unless you are sure you have legal grounds to do so. They know Haley will fight the decision in court, and that can be expensive. If they know they are going to have to pay him for his final year, anyway, why would they add on the costs of a legal battle? My guess is the Chiefs will settle out of court and Pay Haley a portion of what he was owed.