PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs are planning to retain Romeo Crennel and remove interimtag

hayden2004
01-07-2012, 11:34 AM
AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter)Adam Schefter

Chiefs are planning to retain Romeo Crennel and remove interim tag from his title. Move would be popular in the locker room.

Canada
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Sweeeeeet!!!!

marloweopatchiefs
01-07-2012, 11:41 AM
And it says mcdummy is going to be with the pats. Thank god he's not coming to kc.

wolfpack
01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
i honestly think i,m more worried who the new OC is going to be than the HC. Probably because i always thought romeo wouldbe it.
As bad as our offense was this year we need a strong,new ideas OC.One that attacks all the time. Maybe now i will start worring about who the new DC willbe and if he can have the killer instint that our defense is starting to get.

marloweopatchiefs
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
i honestly think i,m more worried who the new OC is going to be than the HC. Probably because i always thought romeo wouldbe it.
As bad as our offense was this year we need a strong,new ideas OC.One that attacks all the time. Maybe now i will start worring about who the new DC willbe and if he can have the killer instint that our defense is starting to get.

Good point. Hopefully we can get someone on Defense who is like crennel and hopefully an upgrade over bill muir.

chiefnut
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
remember "The Gun" experiment and frank gansz

TopekaRoy
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Good news. Crennel will still have a hand in the defense and I'm sure he will bring in a defensive coordinator who shares his scheme/philosophy. Now we need an OC

Mike Martz is available.

Anyone? ....

...Maybe not.

wolfpack
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
only bad thing about keeping romeo as pioli`s hc is more of cassle at qb

wolfpack
01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Good news. Crennel will still have a hand in the defense and I'm sure he will bring in a defensive coordinator who shares his scheme/philosophy. Now we need an OC

Mike Martz is available.

Anyone? ....

...Maybe not.
I could see emmitt moving up the ladder to dc or atleast helping romeo call defensive plays.
also maybe not to martz

TopekaRoy
01-07-2012, 12:16 PM
only bad thing about keeping romeo as pioli`s hc is more of cassle at qb
I would think Romeo likes Orton more than Cassel. He was lobbying to keep him here. But he has never been Head Coach with Cassel at QB so we shall see.

josh1971
01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I am very glad that they put Romeo in as HC, and that it was done this quickly, because now we can get the coordinator positions taken care of, and have a whole coaching staff in place and ready for the draft and FA period.

TopekaRoy
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I could see emmitt moving up the ladder to dc or atleast helping romeo call defensive plays.
also maybe not to martz

:lol:
I actually like Martz's system, but you have to have the right players for it and I don't think we do. It also takes a long time to learn and some guys never pick it up.

On the other hand, I actually think our receivers are a better fit for him than Chicago's. And with Matt Forte, he did show the flexibility to go to a more balanced running/passing attack. If he would be willing to do that with the Chiefs, I think we would have a very potent offense (assuming we upgrade the O-line). But it seemed like he wanted to pass as much as he could get away with and only run as much as he had to.

The biggest problem with Martz's system is that it is high risk/high reward. There are more big plays but at the cost of more turnovers. And because his plays take longer to develop, the QB takes a tremendous beating.

I don't think he is a good fit for the Chiefs, but I don't hate the idea either. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a "gunslinger" like Orton.

Chief Concerns
01-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I think with Romeo as head coach, bringing in Eric Mangini as defensive coordinator would be a good choice. Mangini worked under Crennel, during his stint as DC in NE, and then took over as DC himself when Romeo left for Cleveland. Mel Tucker from Jacksonville might also be a possibility for DC, as he worked in the same role under Romeo in Cleveland. Both would be great choices that would well with Crennel. As for OC, I think bringing in Mularky from Atlanta would be a good choice if we could put him in an assistant HC/OC or even just OC/HC-in-waiting.

:kc:

Bike
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I could see Pepper Johnson - current DL coach at New England - getting a look as Crennels DC.

Canada
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Promote Emmit Thomas to DC!!

Bike
01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Promote Emmit Thomas to DC!!
I actually see this is most probable - now for OC...

Canada
01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I actually see this is most probable - now for OC...Thats the one that interests me more. Our O has a ton of talent but they need some help. Badly

toyotapower
01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
The more continuity the better. Haley and muir were the big problems on our coaching staff last year. Zorn gets promoted to OC, maybe trent green is brought in for QB coach? I really like the idea of eric mangini for DC

Bike
01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
The more continuity the better. Haley and muir were the big problems on our coaching staff last year. Zorn gets promoted to OC, maybe trent green is brought in for QB coach? I really like the idea of eric mangini for DC
Definetely continuity. We are currently looking for our fourth (fifth, counting Haley) OC since Pioli has been here. Ugly stat.

josh1971
01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Muir seemed to call better Offense, sans Haley, but as he is likely retiring, we'll need an OC (And really, we needed one anyhow).

Not sure who is the answer, but no doubt Pioli and Crennel are looking hard.

drstandley31
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
No idea why you guys are so high on Romeo. I just hope you're right. As a DC, he was average at best. Had great games, and had many ugly losses (blowouts). And too many times I couldn't see that he could make needed adjustments during the game. We'll see. I'm sure there are many worse choices.

spiman
01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
No idea why you guys are so high on Romeo. I just hope you're right. As a DC, he was average at best. Had great games, and had many ugly losses (blowouts). And too many times I couldn't see that he could make needed adjustments during the game. We'll see. I'm sure there are many worse choices.

I with ya. Seems like much has not changed. I thought a house clean out was in order!

josh1971
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
And right on cue... the detractors arrive...

matthewschiefs
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM

The blowouts had a lot to do with the offense either A. Sucking and the D was on the field the whole game. Or B. Putting the other team in field goal range at least. It was not all on the D that they gave up so many points. Just look at the first game opening kickoff. Gave the bills the ball in the red zone. Of course there going to get points most the time.

The one thing I don't like about staying with Romeo is his age. He's not going to be around for more then 4 or 5 years then we are going to be looking for yet anther head coach. I would have liked to see a younger guy be brought in that could be around for longer. But I am not to upset about this hire.

matthewschiefs
01-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Something I forgot to mention in my other post but how is he average at best? You have to think back to the pats superbowl years they had a WR playing cb at times in Troy Brown. He wasn't loaded with talent there at times. And how many superbowls have they won since he left?

whackojacko58
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
maybe there wouldn't of been blow outs if our offense didn't look like a high school offense, i like the idea of zorn being oc. I've like us bringing him in from day one. defense either promote emmit thomas or bring in mangini. we know crennel will have a finger on our d no matter who it is

drstandley31
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
And right on cue... the detractors arrive...

Sorry, didn't mean to have alternative opinions. Thought it was a forum. Tell you what, I'll just sit back and read all your posts and learn from you.

drstandley31
01-07-2012, 08:52 PM
maybe there wouldn't of been blow outs if our offense didn't look like a high school offense, i like the idea of zorn being oc. I've like us bringing him in from day one. defense either promote emmit thomas or bring in mangini. we know crennel will have a finger on our d no matter who it is

I agree with that. But you can't sidestep the two blowouts to end the season last year. All the starters were playing, and the D suked. He has good games and he has awful games. Watched him in Cleveland a lot!

Canada
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
No idea why you guys are so high on Romeo. I just hope you're right. As a DC, he was average at best. Had great games, and had many ugly losses (blowouts). And too many times I couldn't see that he could make needed adjustments during the game. We'll see. I'm sure there are many worse choices.If you watch...most of those blowouts were close games in teh first half. Thanks to the defense. You can only leave them on the field so long and expect them to produce.

Sorry, didn't mean to have alternative opinions. Thought it was a forum. Tell you what, I'll just sit back and read all your posts and learn from you.
Perhaps if every post from you wasnt doom and gloom, this opinion would not be voiced when you post things. Correct me if im wrong but werent you recently posting that you were just gonna stop watching?? Cant make statements like that without expecting someone to say something. Just sayin'....:bananen_smilies046:

josh1971
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM

Canada hit it on the head. If ALL your "alternative opinions" weren't what was wrong with the Chiefs or why this player sucks, why this guy should be cut, etc., your whining sarcastic apology would mean more.

But I joked with others off site that the moment the Romeo story broke, there would be a bunch that would show up to say that this was the wrong move, he was terrible in Cleveland, blah blah blah blah blah...

Fact is, no matter how many stats anyone posts, or theories anyone expounds upon, we are not going to know how next season will go until the cleats start hitting the field.

:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
No idea why you guys are so high on Romeo. I just hope you're right. As a DC, he was average at best. Had great games, and had many ugly losses (blowouts). And too many times I couldn't see that he could make needed adjustments during the game. We'll see. I'm sure there are many worse choices.His 5 Super Bowl rings might disagree with you.

dbolan
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Something I forgot to mention in my other post but how is he average at best? You have to think back to the pats superbowl years they had a WR playing cb at times in Troy Brown. He wasn't loaded with talent there at times. And how many superbowls have they won since he left?

Don't forget...Coach Bill was there to help him! ;-)

dbolan
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
His 5 Super Bowl rings might disagree with you.

Over drama on his ability. Don't forget that the Offense had something to do with their wins. It was NOT defensive dominance.

OPLookn
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Over drama on his ability. Don't forget that the Offense had something to do with their wins. It was NOT defensive dominance.

And the theory that defense wins championships has something to do with it too. Look at the Chiefs, high flying offense and no defense = no second round playoff games.

I'm going to go ahead and say that lessons have been learned and this is a different team. Crennel earned the job and we'll get to see what he can do. Is he the answer? Who knows but because this isn't an over hyped Fisher or a pick my favorites Del Rio somehow people think this is a bad pick.

Someone mentioned age being a factor. Paterno was coaching into his 80's at Penn State. If you love your job age really doesn't matter. Granted college football is a different level but saying that Crennel only has 4 or 5 years left is assuming. Unless he's said something that I'm not aware of though.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Dude kurt warner was part of the greatest show on turf. And it wasnt a scoring affair it was a last second field goal neither team scored twenty. Ur just being a hater. Every athelete in the world will tell u DEFENSE WINS.CHAMPIONSHOPS!

dbolan
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Dude kurt warner was part of the greatest show on turf. And it wasnt a scoring affair it was a last second field goal neither team scored twenty. Ur just being a hater. Every athelete in the world will tell u DEFENSE WINS.CHAMPIONSHOPS!

Not a hater at all...Just going on what I know and what is FACT.

I posted a new thread on Romeo's record where his defenses RANKED...

Go read it if you will.

dbolan
01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
His 5 Super Bowl rings might disagree with you.

The second and third string players got a ring too....

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Not a hater at all...Just going on what I know and what is FACT.

I posted a new thread on Romeo's record where his defenses RANKED...

Go read it if you will.

Its the bend dont break defense. Im lazy instead of looking at total defense look at his points allowed. Id bet its in the top ten every year. So u r using stats to support ur opinion, which is fine but be objective. If u dont allow as many points a game then ur giving a chance to win. I dont give a crap if he gives up 150 yards rushing a game or 300 yards passing if the opposing team is getting field goals, or making the plays when needed.

When u stop peyton manning on fourth and 1 from the 1 to win the game u r good at ur job.

josh1971
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM

The second and third string players weren't the ones that designed a defense that helped win those five rings, nor called the defenses during the games to help protect and ensure victories.

Chiefster
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I love...oh, you know. :D

Canada
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Oh...I see...then 5 SuperBowl rings are meaningless because they had to play offense too.

All 53 guys and coaching staff...whats your point?

Ryfo18
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Imagine if the Patriots had not given Belichick a 2nd chance at a head coaching gig after his 36-44 record with the Browns.

The Browns have been the armpit of the NFL for the last 2 decades.

chief31
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Did they get five of them?

matthewschiefs
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't forget...Coach Bill was there to help him! ;-)

That's true but how many rings does Coach Bill have without Romeo?

Ryfo18
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM

BOOM goes the dynamite!

okikcfan
01-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Romeo and Weiss, they were a good team.