PDA

View Full Version : Payton Manning

whackojacko58
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Ok I've gotta do this lol. What does everyone truly think. Being Chief fans I know most of us remember signing Joe Montana when he was (DONE). We got two great years out of him. I think Payton's neck will be 100% come training camp. If Paytons released I say we persue him. Think about it. Weve got the cap, Payton will want to choose where he goes if he dosen't return to Indy. He if healthy will make a HUGE difference. And I think will get atleast 3 good years from him. Plus the chip on his shoulder. I know I'll come under fire here but truthfuly thats how im feeling. K your guys turn :chiefs: :beer:

matthewschiefs
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I think if he is released we will go after him but so will 30 other teams. I really don't see Peyton being a Chief. My gut feeling is that he's going to be still be a Colt next year.

okikcfan
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
If healthy, it would be a long shot but, If healthy, I wouldn't complain if we got him either.

Jrudi
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't complain either if we got him....

I wouldn't want to invest to much in him though, I think his health issues are a little more serious than what people think, His dad had mentioned that he may not even be ready for the start of next season....

The reality is that he is due $28 mil this year, and we're only $30 mil under the cap, do the math.

If he would be willing to take a SIGNIFICANT pay cut, I couldnt complain about what he could offer for us, but even if he only takes 1/3 of what he would have got, that's still about 9.3 mil this year, and with resigning Bowe, Carr, Belcher, and other FA's/Draft choices, is it really going to be worth it?

I think he would set us over the top no doubt about it, but I am torn....

nigeriannightmare
01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't complain either if we got him....

I wouldn't want to invest to much in him though, I think his health issues are a little more serious than what people think, His dad had mentioned that he may not even be ready for the start of next season....

The reality is that he is due $28 mil this year, and we're only $30 mil under the cap, do the math.

If he would be willing to take a SIGNIFICANT pay cut, I couldnt complain about what he could offer for us, but even if he only takes 1/3 of what he would have got, that's still about 9.3 mil this year, and with resigning Bowe, Carr, Belcher, and other FA's/Draft choices, is it really going to be worth it?

I think he would set us over the top no doubt about it, but I am torn....

I know its almost 20 yrs ago but i think we signed joe montanna to a 3 yr 10 million contract, and that was for the greatest qb of all tine. How times have changed.

figcrostic
01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok I've gotta do this lol. What does everyone truly think. Being Chief fans I know most of us remember signing Joe Montana when he was (DONE). We got two great years out of him. I think Payton's neck will be 100% come training camp. If Paytons released I say we persue him. Think about it. Weve got the cap, Payton will want to choose where he goes if he dosen't return to Indy. He if healthy will make a HUGE difference. And I think will get atleast 3 good years from him. Plus the chip on his shoulder. I know I'll come under fire here but truthfuly thats how im feeling. K your guys turn :chiefs: :beer:

First off I'ts Peyton Manning unless you actually meant PAY-TON! :lol: In that case you would be correct we would have to pay a ton for a broken qb.

whackojacko58
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
First off I'ts Peyton Manning unless you actually meant PAY-TON! :lol: In that case you would be correct we would have to pay a ton for a broken qb.

:drunkhb: You know what? You are correct on both accounts. LOL were 30 million under the cap with 22 free agents. Eithere were gonna be in the game or not. Weve got alot of moving parts that pioli and crennel are gonna have to figure out. Luckly theyve probualy worked on this list for awhile since were not scrapping our entire staff. I just thought I'd mention the elephant in the room in PAY-TON. I'm a :sign0104: .

TopekaRoy
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
First, why would the Colts release him if he can still play? Peyton is under contract and even if they decide to hitch there wagon to Luck (which would be a foolish move if Manning is 100% healthy) they would trade him and try to get something of value before outright releasing him. What are you willing to give up for him and his HUGE contract? We need to keep what trade bait we do have.

2nd, If the Colts do release him, you can be sure it is because he can't play anymore and I don't to pay &28 million a year for a broken down QB.

3rd, I don't see Hunt spending that kind of money on any player.

4th, The jets signed Brett Favre when the Packers no linger wanted him, and they are not real happy with Sanchez right now. They are just stupid enough to throw their checkbook at him. That would put Payton in the nations largest market and you know how he loves to do endorsements.

Canada
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM

arent we already doing that with Cassel? :D

okikcfan
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Rex Ryan is the real problem with the Jets... Researching it, Manning has had three neck surgeries. One solid hit and he could be done. Game over....

figcrostic
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
arent we already doing that with Cassel? :D

I think we only owe Cassel 5 million or so next year we could buy 5 Cassell's for one broken down manning.

kcticketguy
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I'd take him. They (the Colts) will go after Luck for sure

Canada
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I think we only owe Cassel 5 million or so next year we could buy 5 Cassell's for one broken down manning.Im just saying that we put $60 million into Cassel and he seems broke most of the time.

figcrostic
01-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Im just saying that we put $60 million into Cassel and he seems broke most of the time.

If he's got 60 million he better not be broke :lol: in all seriousness we overpaid for Cassel I think everyone can agree on that but not sure what we can do about it now. We can trade him and get a better qb but I don't see that happening, Pioli seems to be in love with the guy and at 5 million he's a cheap qb.

kcvet
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Mannings' doing everything he can to come back. he went to the EU for stem cell treatment

whackojacko58
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
colts aren't going to get luck and pay manning, thats why the owner and peyton will sit and talk about this multi million dollar bonus he gets unless they rework his contract. He made 28 million dollars without playing a snap, yes indy loves him but you gotta think that that much money hurts no matter who the super star is

raiderhater79
01-12-2012, 12:21 AM

He is going to come with a big price tag no matter where he goes. That is if Indy releases him. Not sure that a 35 year old with a neck injury is a good investment. I am entirely not sold on him, although I would not complain if he wore the gold and red either.

okikcfan
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
It would have to be a heck of a deal...

Seek
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
He will not be released. We would have to acquire him through a trade in which I would not be a fan off. We do not know if his neck is healthy, even if it was, he is aging quickly and his production has started to decrease despite being off a full year.

We would be giving up a potention starter for years for possibly broken near retirement QB, that while is very good is clearly on the decline. He will be 36 at the start of next season.

OPLookn
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
If he's got 60 million he better not be broke :lol: in all seriousness we overpaid for Cassel I think everyone can agree on that but not sure what we can do about it now. We can trade him and get a better qb but I don't see that happening, Pioli seems to be in love with the guy and at 5 million he's a cheap qb.

I find it funny that I was saying the same thing a loooong time ago and was told by most to "just deal with it". Now most all are echoing my sentiment.

Unfortunately this year is Cassel's cheapest year. Don't know if Pioli gave him three years and then made it so he'd be cutable this year or why he didn't keep doing the diminishing salary every year. Either way Cassel still isn't going anywhere...sigh.

Year Base salary Misc. bonus Cap hit
2012 5,250,000 205,200 5,455,200
2013 7,500,000 205,200 7,705,200
2014 9,000,000 205,200 9,205,200

Oh, Manning won't be released and even if he is I don't want him here. Great guy and football player but the negatives outweigh the positives.

matthewschiefs
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
He will not be released. We would have to acquire him through a trade in which I would not be a fan off. We do not know if his neck is healthy, even if it was, he is aging quickly and his production has started to decrease despite being off a full year.

We would be giving up a potention starter for years for possibly broken near retirement QB, that while is very good is clearly on the decline. He will be 36 at the start of next season.

I don't think they would be able to trade him. No one is going to be willing to take that contract on. If they are going to have to get rid of him I think that they will have to give him his release. But I really don't see that happening I think even though they are going to draft Luck that Peyton will be back with them and this will be a Aaron Rodgers deal. Where in a year or two Peyton will retire and Luck will take over.

Hayvern
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh, Manning won't be released and even if he is I don't want him here. Great guy and football player but the negatives outweigh the positives.

Umm really?, Do you just type these things without thinking them through? What negatives are you talking about anyway? Great guy, great fooball player, that is what you said. So what are the negatives?

There are risks with getting Manning, but those are easily mitigated, obviously any deal will be contingent on team doctors approving it, so his health is not really an issue.

Even if Manning comes back at 80%, he is still better than 90% of the other quarterbacks out there, and certainly better than anyone we could potentially get our hands on. He obviously is not the future of any franchise, but he is a proven commodity who could lead you to a playoff win and potentially a Super Bowl appearance, how many other quarterbacks out there can you say that about? 4, 5 at most.

The team that would go after a guy like Manning is a team that needs just a QB to make a winner. The Chiefs are close enough to that they could get their remaining pieces together from Free Agency. Having said that, I do not believe he will be on the minds of anyone in Kansas City.

In closing, to say the negatives of getting a player like Manning out weigh the positives is simply talking nonsense. Of course that is your opinion, but it is not a well-thought out opinion.

Canada
01-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Umm really?, Do you just type these things without thinking them through? What negatives are you talking about anyway? Great guy, great fooball player, that is what you said. So what are the negatives?

There are risks with getting Manning, but those are easily mitigated, obviously any deal will be contingent on team doctors approving it, so his health is not really an issue.

Even if Manning comes back at 80%, he is still better than 90% of the other quarterbacks out there, and certainly better than anyone we could potentially get our hands on. He obviously is not the future of any franchise, but he is a proven commodity who could lead you to a playoff win and potentially a Super Bowl appearance, how many other quarterbacks out there can you say that about? 4, 5 at most.

The team that would go after a guy like Manning is a team that needs just a QB to make a winner. The Chiefs are close enough to that they could get their remaining pieces together from Free Agency. Having said that, I do not believe he will be on the minds of anyone in Kansas City.

In closing, to say the negatives of getting a player like Manning out weigh the positives is simply talking nonsense. Of course that is your opinion, but it is not a well-thought out opinion.Money...you are using a lot of cap space to sign him. If he does not get us that Super Bowl then where are we?

whackojacko58
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Money...you are using a lot of cap space to sign him. If he does not get us that Super Bowl then where are we?

it would sell tickets we all know thats what clarks all about $$$$$. But I think if he was the Manning hes been he would get us closer. I'd prefer us spending that 30 million then letting it sit in there pockets. Not say spend it all on a questionable health qb but also resigning free agency, its football theres always risks.
not to argue with you canadian :sFl_canada2: :chiefs:

toyotapower
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
If Manning is realeased, which I don't think he will be, I think we are one of the favorites to pick him up. Not necessarily from the media because kc just isn't the sexy pick, but from a realistic perspective. We will improve our o-line drastically this offseason through the draft, free agency and retirement (wiegmann). We will get a top five running back healthy next year. We have a strong receiving corps, assuming Bowe resigns. Our defense is almost there, one or two players away. This is all a nice thought, but back to my original point; I don't see the Colts letting him go.

Canada
01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
it would sell tickets we all know thats what clarks all about $$$$$. But I think if he was the Manning hes been he would get us closer. I'd prefer us spending that 30 million then letting it sit in there pockets. Not say spend it all on a questionable health qb but also resigning free agency, its football theres always risks.
not to argue with you canadian :sFl_canada2: :chiefs:Isnt that what all 32 owners are about?? I was just pointing out what could be considered a downside to getting him. I dont mind if we do but I wont be upset if we dont!! :bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
01-13-2012, 01:40 AM
On May 23, 2011 Manning had neck surgery, Manning had another surgery on September 8, 2011, This first surgery was a one-level cervical neck fusion, and the typical minimum recovery time is reportedly two to three months. The fact is it can take up to a year to completely heal, Oh and that's for people like you and me, not a NFL QB gettin hit by linebackers. Now the 2nd surgery was to repair some pressure problems to the nerve's which in most case's is caused from scar tissue which can cause nerve pain and or numbness if the scar tissue forms around nerves in the neck. It can be treated but in most case's it always come's back.

OPLookn
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM

In closing, to say the negatives of getting a player like Manning out weigh the positives is simply talking nonsense. Of course that is your opinion, but it is not a well-thought out opinion.

No I kinda thought that one through but didn't list out all the negatives because I thought most of them were obvious.

1) He due 28 million dollars...that's 2 million less than our cap.
2) How exactly do you propose we resign Carr AND Bowe with 2 million dollars?
3) Who do you throw to when our main receiver is gone because he didn't want to sign for a million a year (2 million divided by 2 just in case I needed to spell that out).
4) You've got an aging QB who is going to get hurt easier and will stay hurt longer due to age.
5) He'll have to learn an entirely new offense and the reason he's been so good for so long is consistency in the same system along with the same players.
6) Say he does get us to 7-0 and then gets hurt, we'd have to dump Cassel to have any hope at resigning the laundry list of players that we have. Who's the QB then? Stanzi? He couldn't even get on the field when Cassel was out and Palko was putting up single digit QB ratings.
7) Do I really need to keep going?

To say that it's not thought out just because I don't list the reasons is kinda short sighted. So maybe next time ask me if I've thought them through before you get sarcastic and snarky about things.

The final thought...the guy is one hit away from never playing in the NFL if he ever will again anyway. If you seriously think with our line that this won't happen you're sorely mistaken. Going with your attitutde, to me saying that the postives outweigh the negatives is nonsnese, that it's your opinion and not really well-thought out too. It's just a situation of agree to disagree but there's no reason to think that the other guy hasn't thought something out or is talking nonsense.

figcrostic
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
On May 23, 2011 Manning had neck surgery, Manning had another surgery on September 8, 2011, This first surgery was a one-level cervical neck fusion, and the typical minimum recovery time is reportedly two to three months. The fact is it can take up to a year to completely heal, Oh and that's for people like you and me, not a NFL QB gettin hit by linebackers. Now the 2nd surgery was to repair some pressure problems to the nerve's which in most case's is caused from scar tissue which can cause nerve pain and or numbness if the scar tissue forms around nerves in the neck. It can be treated but in most case's it always come's back.

Yeah he's seriously hurt I hope he retires he's proved enough HOF easily.

matthewschiefs
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM

This is why they will NOT be able to trade him and if they are going to get rid of him there going to have to cut him. No one is going to be willing to pay him what the Colts signed him for. If and that's a big IF the Colts let him go I see him being singed for a preformance based contract. He will have the Chance to earn that big money but he's going to have to earn that money.

bbacker51
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM

I think he'll still be a Colt next year to help Luck out, after that he may be open to changing teams.

okikcfan
01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he can't come back and do very well because he can. It's just the odds that there will be more problems down the road are better than normal. I'm just saying he would be a short term and fairly high risk unless he came dirt cheap like Cassel and Vrabel

josh1971
01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he can't come back and do very well because he can. It's just the odds that there will be more problems down the road are better than normal. I'm just saying he would be a short term and fairly high risk unless he came dirt cheap like Cassel and Vrabel

But you gotta admit, if there was someone you wanted there to manage your offense and mentor Stanzi, Manning would be a great choice, eh?

toyotapower
01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
^^^ The best choice. If he is available we have to take a serious run at him

kcvet
01-14-2012, 04:13 PM
just like Montana. one season and out

josh1971
01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
just like Montana. one season and out

Joe Montana was in KC for TWO seasons.

Hayvern
01-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Of course there is, he is 36 years old.

kcvet
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Joe Montana was in KC for TWO seasons.

ok two and out.

Hayvern
01-15-2012, 01:32 PM
ok two and out.

Yeah, but additionally he helped to influence another pretty darned good quarterback, unfortunately, we ended up letting him go to the Raiders.

nigeriannightmare
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
ok two and out.

One of which we went to the afc championship.....

AkChief49
01-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Yeah, but additionally he helped to influence another pretty darned good quarterback, unfortunately, we ended up letting him go to the Raiders.
who was that?

Hayvern
01-16-2012, 01:43 AM
who was that?

My bad, I had thought Gannon played backup behind Montana... I was wrong.

AkChief49
01-16-2012, 02:02 AM
just checkin':D:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
01-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Chronology Stating from 1990:
(It's a little fuzzy after Trent Green so feel free to correct if necessary)

Steve DeBerg
Dave Krieg
Joe Montana
Steve Bono
Elvis Grback/Rich Gannon
Trent Green
Damon Huard
Brody Croyl
Tyler Thigpin
Matt Cassel/Tyler Palko/Kyle Orton

matthewschiefs
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Chronology Stating from 1990:
(It's a little fuzzy after Trent Green so feel free to correct if necessary)

Steve DeBerg
Dave Krieg
Joe Montana
Steve Bono
Elvis Grback/Rich Gannon
Trent Green
Damon Huard
Brody Croyl
Tyler Thigpin
Matt Cassel/Tyler Palko/Kyle Orton

Did you have to remind me about those two names?

Chiefster
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Why yes; yes I did! :11: :lol:

Hayvern
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

At least he didn't say... Lyn Elliot! OH SNAP!!!:lol:

Please don't hit me!

matthewschiefs
01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
At least he didn't say... Lyn Elliot! OH SNAP!!!:lol:

Please don't hit me!

GET HIM :mob: :mob: :whipping1:

whackojacko58
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
the highlights joe montana and trent green. Rich Gannon is a low note since we let him leave....and kept grabe bag.... We need to do what we can for peyton manning!!

whackojacko58
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
alos they just fired there head coach there ready to move forward so i see them releasing him to much money tied up

okikcfan
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
What's Caldwell ouster mean for Manning?
January, 17, 2012
JAN 17
3:08
PM ET

One of the few compelling reasons to stick with Jim Caldwell was to keep familiar people in place for Peyton Manning.

So as the Colts announce that Caldwell is out as coach of the Colts, the question right on the heels of who’s next is what does it mean for Manning?

His $28 million bonus is due in early March and there is no getting around it -- they either have to pay it to keep him under contract or let him go before it’s due to avoid it.

Owner Jim Irsay has said if Manning is healthy and playing in the NFL he’ll be doing so with the Colts.

But since then, Irsay has fired vice chairman Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian and hired general manager Ryan Grigson.

It’s hard to imagine a scenario where Grigson and the Colts pass on Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Do they want a $28 million charge and Manning, coming off a third neck surgery in a short span, to be there with Luck?

Grigson will now be hiring a new coach who will be hiring a new coordinator and (presumably a quarterbacks coach) to work with the team’s signal-callers.

The Colts will remain at the forefront of NFL off-the-field news until we see that coach contribute to a decision on Manning.

#58ChiefsFan
01-17-2012, 05:23 PM
They are in pretty much the same spot we are, their lack of depth killed them this year. It is looking more likely that they will cut ties with Manning, I would bet he would retire before playing somewhere else. Manning is basically his own system and I don't see him having the kind of success he had without pretty much being the playcaller and quarterback. Unless Jacksonville wants to give him the keys for three years.

whackojacko58
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
They are in pretty much the same spot we are, their lack of depth killed them this year. It is looking more likely that they will cut ties with Manning, I would bet he would retire before playing somewhere else. Manning is basically his own system and I don't see him having the kind of success he had without pretty much being the playcaller and quarterback. Unless Jacksonville wants to give him the keys for three years.

except we won what four times the ammount of games as them

#58ChiefsFan
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
except we won what four times the ammount of games as them

They sold the organization though, which means they'll be heavy in the hunt for a player to generate a buzz. If your looking to reignite your fan base there are few players that alone can do that. Arguably, if manning would part ways, there is no bigger name this offseason.

Living in colts country I have learned to hate him but I'd absolutely take him on our roster, I think he would retire before playing somewhere else however.

Connie Jo
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
According to some news media around Indy, Peyton told them his neck is still trying to regenerate nerves, and the surgery didn't take care of all the problems. Hell, he could be facing another surgery.

If I was in power, I wouldn't want Manning for several reasons.

1) He's had 3 neck surgeries, very likely needing more. He also had to travel to Europe for stem cell replacement on his neck, since it's not legal in the U.S....he was hoping to avoid another surgery knowing another surgery would only weaken his neck more, but that stem cell attempt failed. His neck will always be vulnerable & at a high risk for being re-injured. Any time the body is injured so severely as a broken neck is, it's never the same and always vulnerable tpo re-injury. Last thing I'd want is Manning in a Chiefs jersey laying on the field at Arrowhead paralyzed or worse.

2) Manning is 36 yrs. old, he's been Indy's QB for 14 yrs. and only won them one Super Bowl. Why would anyone think he could come to KC and win one? He's a great passer, has a good arm, but he's no Montana, nor a Brady as far as I'm concerned. I've always felt Manning was over-hyped. As I said, he's a great passer, but there's more to being an NFL QB leading your team to a SB victory than being able to pass great.

3) We can't afford the money Manning would want, nor any other QB considered elite. Indy spent the majority of their resources on Manning. Last season showed what happens when a team like Indy failed to invest in a solid team & spent a bulk on an elite QB in Manning. They foolishly relied on one man too much to get it done. Manning didn't get it done but once in 14 yrs., anyway.

4) I've never cared much for Mannings arrogance.

okikcfan
01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
This would be a very hard choice. You would have to get him dirt cheap because of his neck problems and what if mid way into the season he begins to have problems, the reason for the last surgery was due to the loss of feeling / numbness in his arm, his throwing arm. Now with that said, unless we still had Cassel we would be back in the same boat as we were this year. High High risk, that's all I'm sayin....

Connie Jo
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
According to everything I've read...Pioli and Crennel have more or less made it clear Cassel will remain a Chief in 2012. When asked if he'd re-sign & remain the Chiefs starter, Kyle Orton stated publicly as far as he's concerned, the Chiefs are Matt Cassels team, not his. The two are very good friends, by the way. There was an article posted today at kcchiefs.com stating Matt remains a great locker room force with his teammates, as well.

In my humble opinion, roster consistency is a critical factor with winning, and winning consistently. Pioli, Crennel, and the players have faith & belief in Cassel as a starting QB & team leader. They're the pro's who work intimately with Cassel, they see & know things we as spectating fans don't. If all of them believe in Cassel, then I as an amatuer spectating fan would be arrogant to think I know more than they do. As such, I retain faith in Cassel, and believe he can get us there.

I lean towards believing the majority of problems fans have placed on Cassels shoulders weren't in his control. There has been absolutely no coaching stability within the Chiefs franchise since Cassel arrived in KC 3 seasons ago. There has been locker room conflict & drama, OC firings & hirings, so much inconsistency with playcalling & coaching. On top of that there was a rare lockout occurance this year only making Cassel's job that much more difficult & complex. Lastly, give Cassel an O-Line as effective as the Giants give Eli Manning!!!

For those who think Cassel has a weak arm, can't throw a long ball effectively...well, there are plenty of video game footage to prove them wrong.

okikcfan
01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
According to everything I've read...Pioli and Crennel have more or less made it clear Cassel will remain a Chief in 2012. When asked if he'd re-sign & remain the Chiefs starter, Kyle Orton stated publicly as far as he's concerned, the Chiefs are Matt Cassels team, not his. The two are very good friends, by the way. There was an article posted today at kcchiefs.com stating Matt remains a great locker room force with his teammates, as well.

In my humble opinion, roster consistency is a critical factor with winning, and winning consistently. Pioli, Crennel, and the players have faith & belief in Cassel as a starting QB & team leader. They're the pro's who work intimately with Cassel, they see & know things we as spectating fans don't. If all of them believe in Cassel, then I as an amatuer spectating fan would be arrogant to think I know more than they do. As such, I retain faith in Cassel, and believe he can get us there.

I lean towards believing the majority of problems fans have placed on Cassels shoulders weren't in his control. There has been absolutely no coaching stability within the Chiefs franchise since Cassel arrived in KC 3 seasons ago. There has been locker room conflict & drama, OC firings & hirings, so much inconsistency with playcalling & coaching. On top of that there was a rare lockout occurance this year only making Cassel's job that much more difficult & complex. Lastly, give Cassel an O-Line as effective as the Giants give Eli Manning!!!

For those who think Cassel has a weak arm, can't throw a long ball effectively...well, there are plenty of video game footage to prove them wrong.

The problem is this is not a video game.... Now it is true we have had a different OC every year since Cassel has been here and it is also true we have had much inconsistency starting with Sir Todd Haley. To me, seeing is believing. I am sure Cassel will be our QB for the 2012 season and I am also sure this will be Cassel's make it or break it year. I do believe Pioli will upgrade our offense as well as our defense in the draft and FA. Everything is starting to come together for this team and the only real test will be Cassel and what he can do with it. And I do hope for the best!

:chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

Connie Jo
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
The problem is this is not a video game.... Now it is true we have had a different OC every year since Cassel has been here and it is also true we have had much inconsistency starting with Sir Todd Haley. To me, seeing is believing. I am sure Cassel will be our QB for the 2012 season and I am also sure this will be Cassel's make it or break it year. I do believe Pioli will upgrade our offense as well as our defense in the draft and FA. Everything is starting to come together for this team and the only real test will be Cassel and what he can do with it. And I do hope for the best!

:chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

No, hahaha...not a video game as in Madden, lol. I'm referring to actual live footage of games Cassel has played in throwing deep and strong to Bowe, etc.. LOL

okikcfan
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
No, hahaha...not a video game as in Madden, lol. I'm referring to actual live footage of games Cassel has played in throwing deep and strong to Bowe, etc.. LOL

:lol: Ya had me worried there for a minute Connie! I agree, he has at time's surprised me getting the ball deep down field. I will be the first to admit I have never been a Big Cassel fan. I believe in him but to me he has to improve. Yes Haley very much could have been the biggest problem with our offense and I even question if he for what ever reason wasn't holding Cassel back. But whom ever come's in as our new OC has to use Cassel to his fullest ability, cut him lose and let'em go, set the man free and let HIM show us what he has. We need more than a good QB, we need a QB that can take us to the next level and beyond. He has to do that in 2012.

Connie Jo
01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
:lol: Ya had me worried there for a minute Connie! I agree, he has at time's surprised me getting the ball deep down field. I will be the first to admit I have never been a Big Cassel fan. I believe in him but to me he has to improve. Yes Haley very much could have been the biggest problem with our offense and I even question if he for what ever reason wasn't holding Cassel back. But whom ever come's in as our new OC has to use Cassel to his fullest ability, cut him lose and let'em go, set the man free and let HIM show us what he has. We need more than a good QB, we need a QB that can take us to the next level and beyond. He has to do that in 2012.

According to player public comments made...Haley belittled & humiliated players often unjustly in front of their teammates, Cassel was no exception. Bowe made a public comment stating Haley & Cassel argued daily at practices. He said what we saw on the sidelines during the one game when Haley exploded on Cassel, then Cassel fired back...was a daily occurance, nothing unusual.

It's one thing to get on a player for error, it's something else to believe as a coach it's beneficial to intentionally belittle or humiliate them in front of teammates. You get beat down emotionally it drains the energy & desire from within you, it sucks the life out of you like a vampire sucks blood. :(

matthewschiefs
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM

I agree with you. I am not one that thinks Matt Cassel is a big problem with the offense. I think that he's had his moments where he has shined And moments where he has looked lost at times. But he still starts wise is a young player. I think that Matt Cassel can be a very good QB given that he has O line help. I have said a number of times this off season that it won't matter who we bring in as qb if we don't help the O line.

I for one think that Cassel needs a coach that will get on him from time to time. It seems to lite a fire under him and that's when he's at his best. I saw him and Haley get into it on the sidelines and Cassel got fed up with it and went out and shut Haley up with his play. He threw 3td passes shortly after that. Now I think that Haley was to negitive with him and that did hurt. But the new OC I hope is willing to get in Cassels face and get on him when needed. But I have no problem with Matt Cassel as the QB. I would just like to see him out battle someone this off season to win the job back. Even Stanzi.

okikcfan
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
According to player public comments made...Haley belittled & humiliated players often unjustly in front of their teammates, Cassel was no exception. Bowe made a public comment stating Haley & Cassel argued daily at practices. He said what we saw on the sidelines during the one game when Haley exploded on Cassel, then Cassel fired back...was a daily occurance, nothing unusual.

It's one thing to get on a player for error, it's something else to believe as a coach it's beneficial to intentionally belittle or humiliate them in front of teammates. You get beat down emotionally it drains the energy & desire from within you, it sucks the life out of you like a vampire sucks blood. :(

And that's really kinda sad. I had heard it all started in preseason and the whole Palko ordeal left us all scratching our heads and wondering what the heck is he doing? So much has come out since he has been fired and it paints a pretty clear picture of what really went on there. I like Crennel and I really like that he will also run the defense, now all we need is a solid OC.

nigeriannightmare
01-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Last year is proof. Probowl year we won the west i believe he had 27 tds vs 7 ints. Give cassel a coach that knows what hes doing, charlie weiss, and look what happened and hes capable of winning us some ball games. We are so close now i cant wait for next season cant wait.

whackojacko58
01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
plus not the strongest strength of schedule wont hurt lol

figcrostic
01-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree with you. I am not one that thinks Matt Cassel is a big problem with the offense. I think that he's had his moments where he has shined And moments where he has looked lost at times. But he still starts wise is a young player. I think that Matt Cassel can be a very good QB given that he has O line help. I have said a number of times this off season that it won't matter who we bring in as qb if we don't help the O line.

I for one think that Cassel needs a coach that will get on him from time to time. It seems to lite a fire under him and that's when he's at his best. I saw him and Haley get into it on the sidelines and Cassel got fed up with it and went out and shut Haley up with his play. He threw 3td passes shortly after that. Now I think that Haley was to negitive with him and that did hurt. But the new OC I hope is willing to get in Cassels face and get on him when needed. But I have no problem with Matt Cassel as the QB. I would just like to see him out battle someone this off season to win the job back. Even Stanzi.

I'd rather have a healthy Cassel then a broke down Manning.

Connie Jo
01-17-2012, 11:26 PM
And that's really kinda sad. I had heard it all started in preseason and the whole Palko ordeal left us all scratching our heads and wondering what the heck is he doing? So much has come out since he has been fired and it paints a pretty clear picture of what really went on there. I like Crennel and I really like that he will also run the defense, now all we need is a solid OC.

Oh, it gets worse! There is an article today posted at kcchiefs.com of which if you read between the lines substantiates the rumors around town that Haley intentionally defied Pioli leaving Palko in just to spite Pioli!

Rumor is Pioli wanted to fire Haley after the playoff loss to the Ravens January 2011, but he had a yr. left on his contract and Hunt wasn't in favor of firing Haley at the time. Pioli knew by that point there were personality issues within Haley, angry need to control all, having an issue with authority above him, etc.. Chan Gailey was fired because of conflicts with Haley, Charlie Weiss left as a result of Haley just short of the playoff game against the Ravens. Haley acted as the OC, and of course we lost badly...just as we did in 2009 with Haley thinking he was greater than most acting as HC & OC.

bricooper78
01-18-2012, 02:20 AM
all other things considered, I hope Peyton just hangs it up and goes to the coaching booth. If he's gotten fragile, he's a had a great go of it, don't get carted off the field for one last time. I'd hate to see that from the guy.

off topic a bit, but that's my nickel on it :)

Connie Jo
01-18-2012, 02:53 AM
all other things considered, I hope Peyton just hangs it up and goes to the coaching booth. If he's gotten fragile, he's a had a great go of it, don't get carted off the field for one last time. I'd hate to see that from the guy.

I completely agree. I think he should retire, for his own future well being and consider his wife and kids well being. Money can't buy undoing permanent paralysis, nor bring him back to life, if God forbid the worst happened.

He's very competitive though, gonna be difficult for him to not play, just as it was for Aikman, Young, Montana. Even though Dr's advised them against continued play...they ignored advice. The NFL stepped in and forced retirement on them. Montana left a yr. on his contract unfilled with KC due to further damage risk from concussions.

Peyton admitted publicly not long ago, that DR's gave him a clean bill of health to play when he re-signed his contract last year, even though he knew he wasn't healthy. He stepped up with integrity & admitted signing the contract knowing he wasn't healthy. He then asked that a clause be added to his contract, that in case of injury preventing him from fulfilling his contract it would become null & void.

bricooper78
01-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Peyton is just sooooo smart, there is no way he wouldn't be a phenominal coach. He's made plenty of cash, and it's not like he wouldn't get paid as a coach, but it's not that he's short on money either.

Or even in the tv booth, I would bow down to, the president of NBC to get Collinsworth out of the booth anyway, but man i'd be super pumped to listen to an actual great player! Not to mention, if you haven't seen him on saturday night live, he's funny too!

*it occurs to me now, I may have a man crush on Peyton Manning LOL!!!

dbolan
01-18-2012, 09:05 AM

While I do agree to a certain degree...Remember Joe Montana was kicked to the curb and had the Chiefs surrounding talent been a little bit better, I think the SB was in sight.

nigeriannightmare
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
While I do agree to a certain degree...Remember Joe Montana was kicked to the curb and had the Chiefs surrounding talent been a little bit better, I think the SB was in sight.

Talk about subpar talent at the wr level and te end i looked at that roster then at the bills yeah any other qb and we wouldnt have done what we did.

okikcfan
01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Peyton is just sooooo smart, there is no way he wouldn't be a phenominal coach. He's made plenty of cash, and it's not like he wouldn't get paid as a coach, but it's not that he's short on money either.

Or even in the tv booth, I would bow down to, the president of NBC to get Collinsworth out of the booth anyway, but man i'd be super pumped to listen to an actual great player! Not to mention, if you haven't seen him on saturday night live, he's funny too!

*it occurs to me now, I may have a man crush on Peyton Manning LOL!!!

:lol: Collinsworth I kinda like, it's Phil Simms I can't stand! :beat_DeadHorse:

chief31
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Oh, it gets worse! There is an article today posted at kcchiefs.com of which if you read between the lines substantiates the rumors around town that Haley intentionally defied Pioli leaving Palko in just to spite Pioli!

Rumor is Pioli wanted to fire Haley after the playoff loss to the Ravens January 2011, but he had a yr. left on his contract and Hunt wasn't in favor of firing Haley at the time. Pioli knew by that point there were personality issues within Haley, angry need to control all, having an issue with authority above him, etc.. Chan Gailey was fired because of conflicts with Haley, Charlie Weiss left as a result of Haley just short of the playoff game against the Ravens. Haley acted as the OC, and of course we lost badly...just as we did in 2009 with Haley thinking he was greater than most acting as HC & OC.

Yes, He was clearly the spawn of Satan, and the GM who refused to stop fighting the HC over OC duties was the pure, innocent victim of a madman who was terrorizing The Chiefs to a 10-6 record.

Poor Scott Pioli.

And trying to suggest that Haley was controlling the play-calling during the playoff loss is just a complete failure.

Al good things happened as a result of everything but Haley, and all bad things happened because Haley insisted upon them?

I would expect a less biased angle from Pioli's own family.

whackojacko58
01-25-2012, 02:24 PM
gotta breathe fresh air into this thread. Today it looks like Peyton just wants to say bye and leave the colts, I believe he will be healthy boy if he is hes competitive and will wanting to win badly. We have talent, we have a great d, if we pick up Peyton in free agency, draft high offensive line will win a playoff game, I know crennel said cassels his starter at the start of camp. But come on hunt wants to fill his stadium, who wouldn't go to a game with this team with a healthy peyton. The palce would be full, also might be why we haven't hired a oc yet? long shot? yes but still i'm gonna keep drinking my koolaid

Chiefster
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
gotta breathe fresh air into this thread. Today it looks like Peyton just wants to say bye and leave the colts, I believe he will be healthy boy if he is hes competitive and will wanting to win badly. We have talent, we have a great d, if we pick up Peyton in free agency, draft high offensive line will win a playoff game, I know crennel said cassels his starter at the start of camp. But come on hunt wants to fill his stadium, who wouldn't go to a game with this team with a healthy peyton. The palce would be full, also might be why we haven't hired a oc yet? long shot? yes but still i'm gonna keep drinking my koolaid

Clark won't shell out the $$ necessary to get him here; it's simply not his MO. JMHO

Canada
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Clark won't shell out the $$ necessary to get him here; it's simply not his MO. JMHOWe need the money for other things anyways. Dline, Oline, Bowe, Carr etc

Chiefster
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
We need the money for other things anyways. Dline, Oline, Bowe, Carr etc

Yup! Agreed.

okikcfan
01-25-2012, 04:17 PM
With Payton coming off (3) neck surgeries last year it's a pretty much no brainer that he would not get the amount of money he is getting in Indy, no one will take him. He will come down but I still think he would be a high risk...

N TX Dave
01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Clark won't shell out the $$ necessary to get him here; it's simply not his MO. JMHO

You mean you don't think Clark would spend $20million a year for Manning? Well after this year he has to spend it. He could cut Cassel for most of the money. I don't think it will happen but one can dream can't he?

70 chiefsfan70
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM

I just don't think the Chiefs take that chance on him, If I know Manning he won't play without a huge fat guaranteed contract, and with his age and type of injuries he has had its a risk we can't afford to take. I just do not see it happening.

:D :D :D :D But enjoy the koolaid.:D :D :D :D

chief31
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
I would be excited if we were to bring him here.

And I do not think that it would be a bad idea.

But I would be wary of the potential for never seeing him play, or seeing very little of him.

It would be a huge risk. But I would take that risk, if I had the opportunity.

Paperbag Face
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
If he's released and healthy, of course you go after him.

One of the best quarterbacks of all time? It would be amazing to have him for a couple seasons. Pretty sure Stanzi would benefit from the tutoring too.

Obviously, I'd want Bowe and Carr back too. I'm pretty sure Bowe would jump at the chance to play with Manning.

Its waaaaaaaaaay to early for this though. We don't even have an offensive coordinator. If we go out and sign some doofus with a conservative playbook, there will be zero chance Manning comes here.

Bike
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
If he's released and healthy, of course you go after him.

One of the best quarterbacks of all time? It would be amazing to have him for a couple seasons. Pretty sure Stanzi would benefit from the tutoring too.

Obviously, I'd want Bowe and Carr back too. I'm pretty sure Bowe would jump at the chance to play with Manning.

Its waaaaaaaaaay to early for this though. We don't even have an offensive coordinator. If we go out and sign some doofus with a conservative playbook, there will be zero chance Manning comes here.
Maybe as incentive to get Manning here - he gets to pick his own offensive coordinator....:D
He is 35 - good for 2-3 years if he can stay healthy of course.

okikcfan
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I just don't think the Chiefs take that chance on him, If I know Manning he won't play without a huge fat guaranteed contract, and with his age and type of injuries he has had its a risk we can't afford to take. I just do not see it happening.

And how well do you know Manning? :lol:

whackojacko58
01-25-2012, 11:50 PM

:koolaid: will do sir :yahoo:

nigeriannightmare
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Maybe as incentive to get Manning here - he gets to pick his own offensive coordinator....:D
He is 35 - good for 2-3 years if he can stay healthy of course.

And what a mento for ricki stanzi

crazy_chiefs_fan
01-26-2012, 10:10 AM
...... We need to do what we can for peyton manning!!

Amen bring on the "MAN"!!

:sign0087:

whackojacko58
01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Amen bring on the "MAN"!!

:sign0087:

thank you sir:postpimp4ib:

Connie Jo
01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes, He was clearly the spawn of Satan, and the GM who refused to stop fighting the HC over OC duties was the pure, innocent victim of a madman who was terrorizing The Chiefs to a 10-6 record.

Poor Scott Pioli.

And trying to suggest that Haley was controlling the play-calling during the playoff loss is just a complete failure.

Al good things happened as a result of everything but Haley, and all bad things happened because Haley insisted upon them?

I would expect a less biased angle from Pioli's own family.

Well, talk to some of the players...many of them talk when not on camera out and about KC. Most of the rumors circulating around KC related to Haley and what occurred behind the scenes are coming from sources who were there. I suppose it's possible many aren't telling the truth, but there sure are many telling negative stories related to Haley. :/

chief31
01-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, talk to some of the players...many of them talk when not on camera out and about KC. Most of the rumors circulating around KC related to Haley and what occurred behind the scenes are coming from sources who were there. I suppose it's possible many aren't telling the truth, but there sure are many telling negative stories related to Haley. :/

Subordinates having bad stories about their former boss is always the a true measure of a man?

Of course there will be some complaints. And then there will be some exagerrated complaints too.

Sort of like the "Big Brother" stories about Scott Pioli.

What makes that group of former employees any better than this group of former employees?

Is there something more to it than you meeting, and liking Scott Pioli?

dbolan
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Subordinates having bad stories about their former boss is always the a true measure of a man?

Of course there will be some complaints. And then there will be some exagerrated complaints too.

Sort of like the "Big Brother" stories about Scott Pioli.

What makes that group of former employees any better than this group of former employees?

Is there something more to it than you meeting, and liking Scott Pioli?

Very nice...

More food for thought....

Back in the 90's, when Derrick Thomas was on the team, all I ever heard about him was that he was a "non-alcoholic drinker". Even seen him confirm this in an interview.

None the less, it was a year or so later, I was invited to a Tommy Morrison fight in KC and there was an after party. Micky Rourke, Tommy Morrison, Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith were there, so that was a treat.

Well, I stood 2 feet away from DT and NS and noticed the double-fisted boubon and cokes held in DT's hands the entire time I was there, which was a few hours.

So....Sometimes the pretty picture is painted and it is not true and vise-versa, eh?

okikcfan
01-31-2012, 01:59 AM
INDIANAPOLIS – For all the discussion over Peyton Manning’s future with the Indianapolis Colts, the underlying issue is that people close to him don’t believe he’ll resume his career.

The nerves in Manning’s arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manning’s rehabilitation from neck surgery. The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasn’t shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again.

In addition, two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery said it could take up to a year before Manning knows if he can return. Both said the risk is too great for Manning to play again and, because of the timeline, neither would recommend the Colts pay Manning

Soooo, like I said, High Risk!

whackojacko58
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
he was in a interview today, hes saying all the right things saying hes on his way to playing says later next week will be his deadline to say if hell play. also didn't want to say hes out in indy, says he loves indy and owner but sounds like he knows if he plays hell be somewhere else, soo im gonna keep rowing this boat till it all gets answered

70 chiefsfan70
01-31-2012, 04:53 PM
INDIANAPOLIS Ė For all the discussion over Peyton Manningís future with the Indianapolis Colts, the underlying issue is that people close to him donít believe heíll resume his career.

The nerves in Manningís arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, donít appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manningís rehabilitation from neck surgery. The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasnít shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again.

In addition, two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery said it could take up to a year before Manning knows if he can return. Both said the risk is too great for Manning to play again and, because of the timeline, neither would recommend the Colts pay Manning

Soooo, like I said, High Risk!

Yes High risk indeed.

I would not be against the Chiefs signing him though..................................as OC of coarse. Or maybe QB and WR's coach.

figcrostic
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes High risk indeed.

I would not be against the Chiefs signing him though..................................as OC of coarse. Or maybe QB and WR's coach.

Everyone keeps saying things like this and one day he might be a great coach but right now he has only proven to be a great QB (mind you i'm playing devils advocate). Just because your great at something doesn't mean you can teach other to be great at that you think, infact he might be a terrible coach because he expects the qb to be as good as him which is unlikely to happen.

#58ChiefsFan
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm with Fig on this. Painter orvlovsky and sorgi didn't learn much from being around him. It's a completely different skill set to teach and he will have to cut his teeth somewhere to get to that level of coaching if he so decides.

okikcfan
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm with Fig on this. Painter orvlovsky and sorgi didn't learn much from being around him. It's a completely different skill set to teach and he will have to cut his teeth somewhere to get to that level of coaching if he so decides.

So true. It will be interesting to see how Elway pans out next year. From QB to GM....TEBOW :lol:

whackojacko58
01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes High risk indeed.

today he sounded vary positive about playing again saying all these people saying its not healing don't have a clue, also that he has not contemplated retireing hes going to do everything possible to come back this year but still not about to put a absolute on any of this