PDA

View Full Version : Romeo tells the SiriusXM Blitz he will continue to call defense

Ryfo18
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Just heard on the SiriusXM Blitz, Romeo told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon that he will continue to call the plays on defense.

Personally, I like this. He didn't seem to have any problems doing this effectively in his last 3 games as head coach.

dbolan
01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Just heard on the SiriusXM Blitz, Romeo told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon that he will continue to call the plays on defense.

Personally, I like this. He didn't seem to have any problems doing this effectively in his last 3 games as head coach.

Maybe so, but when you add the pe-season games this year and the regular 16 game schedule, it's a load that few can do.

Ryfo18
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Maybe so, but when you add the pe-season games this year and the regular 16 game schedule, it's a load that few can do.

Well he didn't call the defense in Cleveland, so this a welcome change for me from his first head coaching gig.

Look at some of the best teams out there...Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton both call the offensive plays. If you have a good thing going, why change it?

OPLookn
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM

I can't believe I'm doing this but I have to agree with you. lol

Haley thought he could carry the load too. Time will tell but I'm not a fan of him doing this.

Ryfo18
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Haley thought he could carry the load too. Time will tell but I'm not a fan of him doing this.

I think the big difference is that Todd Haley is by no means one of the best playcallers in the league. When it comes to defense, Romeo is. And Rich Gannon went out of his way to say this to Romeo during the interview.

11 ppg given up during his 3 games as coach/playcaller.

OPLookn
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I think the big difference is that Todd Haley is by no means one of the best playcallers in the league. When it comes to defense, Romeo is. And Rich Gannon went out of his way to say this to Romeo during the interview.

11 ppg given up during his 3 games as coach/playcaller.

There's a big difference between temp coach and regular coach. If he fails as temp coach whatever, he goes back to being the DC. If he fails as the HC he gets canned and doesn't just go back to the DC here at least.

I agree that Romeo is really good. But there's going to be a lot more on his plate over the course of the year then there was in just the last three games.

Ryfo18
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
But there's going to be a lot more on his plate over the course of the year then there was in just the last three games.

I just don't see this...I'm sorry. I don't know what could possibly be different about the last 3 games vs. a full season. Each week is the same, you prepare for the team you are getting ready to play.

I'm just not buying that it will be any different from what he did over the last 3 weeks. Hell, he had to worry about getting a new quarterback ready to play in his first week. He definitely won't have that load next year.

#58ChiefsFan
01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
In the last three games Romeo spread the workload around to his assistant coaches to free him up to do his HC duties. So long as we can keep most of the defensive assistant coaches in place we have little reason to believe this won't work. After 30 some years I believe Romeo knows what he is getting himself into.

TopekaRoy
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
In the last three games Romeo spread the workload around to his assistant coaches to free him up to do his HC duties. So long as we can keep most of the defensive assistant coaches in place we have little reason to believe this won't work. After 30 some years I believe Romeo knows what he is getting himself into.
http://i.eprci.net/support-this-post
As long as he has good position coaches actually coaching the players, I don't have a problem with him calling the defensive plays. You know he will be heavily involved in the game planning anyway, and I trust him over bringing in a new guy.

nicfre2011
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I am not a fan of this either. I would prefer a head coach focus on the overall gameplanning and taking care of the lockerroom dynamics as opposed to tinkering in the individual playcalling. The head coach should work with the coordinators to be on the same page as far as philosophy goes.

I was hoping for a younger, up-and-coming coordinator that Crennel feels comfortable working with. Now, on the offensive side of the ball, we definitely need an innovative coordinator that Crennel can basically hand over the keys to our offense. We need to grab someone like Tom Clements from Green Bay or Pete Carmichael Jr. from New Orleans.

whackojacko58
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
i like it, its not the same as a play going to three different coaches before going to the qb. Hell call it and itll go straight to dj. Hes a mastermind on d. him not calling his plays was the problem in cleveland. We need someone strong like Hue Jackson to control the offense (with help from jim zorn) and ill like it

matthewschiefs
01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Not sure that I like this. I think it's always best for the head coach to be just that the head coach. But then again I think that Romeo will be one to mainly let his OC take care off the offense on gameday. So it might still work out. I just don't love this. But we will see.

okikcfan
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I myself feel better if he keeps control of the Big D. That's what he is good at and we have excelled the last couple of years. I would hate to lose that. Now just get a solid OC that will push us up and over the top!

Chiefster
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I too am not sure how I feel about this. It seems as if we just went through this experiment on the offensive side of the ball. JMHO

#58ChiefsFan
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
You make a good point Chiefster, with this being a three year contract I would guess the long term plan is to turn this over to that up and comer, I think that guy just isn't available at this time.

Chiefster
01-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Anything is possible I guess; time will tell.

Hayvern
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I personally do not like the idea. I think this game moves so fast that one man cannot have his eyes on all parts of the game. A head coach needs to be the game manager. Maybe Crennel is one of the few that can do it, but the odds are against him.

It's sort of like finding a QB that you can trust to call the plays from the huddle, how many of those are out there? 1 or 2? Crennel needs to have his head in the game at all times.

I can tell you what to look out for, the minute you see someone call a timeout to decide whether to throw the challenge flag, you know the coach's head is not in the game.

I did not like it when Haley did it, I do not like it with Crennel. Maybe in three or four years after we have a winning combination and a system that is working like McCarty, Belichek and others, then he can do it, but to start out like this... not a good idea.

TopekaRoy
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Let's give him a chance and see how he does with it. The defense looked pretty good the last 3 games with him as head coach. If it isn't working we can always bring in a DC later.

I think one of the biggest reasons the Chiefs made him head coach is because they like what he was doing with the defense and didn't want to risk another head coach bringing in his own guy. Now you want to take away from him the one thing that got him promoted in the first place? It's what he's best at. If he can't do it all then bring another DC, but give him a chance first.

70 chiefsfan70
01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Let's give him a chance and see how he does with it. The defense looked pretty good the last 3 games with him as head coach. If it isn't working we can always bring in a DC later.

I think one of the biggest reasons the Chiefs made him head coach is because they like what he was doing with the defense and didn't want to risk another head coach bringing in his own guy. Now you want to take away from him the one thing that got him promoted in the first place? It's what he's best at. If he can't do it all then bring another DC, but give him a chance first.

I agree!

okikcfan
01-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Agreed! :bananen_smilies046:

2010chiefs
01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
I would rather him go back to DC and call plays then to be head coach and not call plays. It's what he does best. That's why he was brought in in the first place. I think he'll be fine.

Ryfo18
01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I would rather him go back to DC and call plays then to be head coach and not call plays. It's what he does best. That's why he was brought in in the first place. I think he'll be fine.

This is a great way to put it!:postpimp4ib:

pojote
01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Call defensive plays is a lot easier than offensive plays. It's focusing in the big picture not in specifics. That's what you want in a HC. I don't think it would be a bad idea.
HC calling offensive plays is something I don't like.

TopekaRoy
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Call defensive plays is a lot easier than offensive plays. It's focusing in the big picture not in specifics. That's what you want in a HC. I don't think it would be a bad idea.
HC calling offensive plays is something I don't like.
This is a good point. The offense can have hundreds of plays from dozens of formations. Defense is far more broad and basic, because you don't know for sure where the ball is going and the players are expected to react or improvise. On defense you are basically just calling run or pass formations, zone or man-to-man, nickel or dime packages, who's blitzing and possibly some stunts.

It could be argued that a HC benefits from calling the defensive plays, because it keeps his "head in the game" more, having to anticipate whether the offense is going to run or pass and to which side of the field. With Crennel calling the plays directly, as opposed to a DC relaying the play through the HC, the defense has more time to get into their set and focus on their assignments. There is less confusion or hesitation.

Plus Romeo is really good at it!

Jrudi
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM

Agreed!

I think he will do fine, we've got to see him do it for three games now and the defense only let up 33 total points in 3 games, that's only 11 points per contest (and only 14 points to a GB squad that averaged 35 points per game (ranked 1st)), if we can get an OC that can get out offense back on track that's a nice combo for success.

He is good at calling the Defensive play's, and we've all heard that he is a leader that spreads the responsibilities around, and trusts that his coaching staff will take care of what is needed, and allows him to focus on the big picture, I think he will trust his defensive staff to help him with the little things...

chief31
01-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Myself, I like the idea.

Todd Haley wanted to mold his offense his own way, but was clearly being blocked from doing so. That does not work.

Let the coach make the coaching decisions.

chief31
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I think that Todd Haley's two big problems with handling the play-calling as HC were ...

A.) I don't think he was being allowed to do so.

And...

B.) He had no prior experience as a HC. Just too much to take on in your first go round as a HC.

Crennel is an extremely experienced coach. I think he has probably done enough DC work to be able to do it with little effort.

let's look at Chess players...

When one has played chess long enough, they can play the game just as well, while not putting full concentration into it.

A dedicated chess player eventually has their next move planned so quickly that they become bored playing the game, waiting for opponents to make their decisions.

I have plenty of confidence in Crennel's ability to call a strong defensive game, while managing the HC duties as well.

drstandley31
01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I really didn't want him as HC, but once the decision was made, I'm behind it until it proves itself to be wrong. Both jobs is a load, and he was inconsistant as DC. But many argued his loses were because of Haley, so, now there's no excuses. I hope this all works out, we deserve it a winning team.

Hayvern
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Myself, I like the idea.

Todd Haley wanted to mold his offense his own way, but was clearly being blocked from doing so. That does not work.

Let the coach make the coaching decisions.

Clearly blocked? What evidence do you have of this? Who was blocking him? What have you read that says someone was blocking him.

Honestly, what I have seen is a QB yelling at Haley because the plays were slow in getting in from the sidelines, two different offenSive coordinators leaving and a third retiring. Is is possible this was coming in from the front office, but I find that hard to believe myself.

If you have something that would make me think differently then I would love to see it.

Also, your chess analogy is pretty good, however, the key to that is a good chess player can only split his attention if he is playing a weaker opponent. The same I think is true here, so if Crennel thinks that he is one of the best coaches in the league and can split his attention because no other coach can keep up with him, then he is either really good, or he is very arrogant.

chief31
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Clearly blocked? What evidence do you have of this? Who was blocking him? What have you read that says someone was blocking him.

Honestly, what I have seen is a QB yelling at Haley because the plays were slow in getting in from the sidelines, two different offenSive coordinators leaving and a third retiring. Is is possible this was coming in from the front office, but I find that hard to believe myself.

If you have something that would make me think differently then I would love to see it.

Also, your chess analogy is pretty good, however, the key to that is a good chess player can only split his attention if he is playing a weaker opponent. The same I think is true here, so if Crennel thinks that he is one of the best coaches in the league and can split his attention because no other coach can keep up with him, then he is either really good, or he is very arrogant.

Hey, choose to believe what you want. But seeing Haley fighting over the OC poisition from day one is perfectly evident.

I think you do know that Todd wanted to run the offense. I think everybody knows it. But yet he was clearly having to fight for it, and blocked from doing so. Hence the merry-go-round at OC, and the falling out with Pioli.

And a good chess player can split his attention against anyone.

When you know how to do your job, and you know how to do it well, you will start getting bored with it, and take on other tasks.

Hayvern
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey, choose to believe what you want. But seeing Haley fighting over the OC poisition from day one is perfectly evident.

I think you do know that Todd wanted to run the offense. I think everybody knows it. But yet he was clearly having to fight for it, and blocked from doing so. Hence the merry-go-round at OC, and the falling out with Pioli.

And a good chess player can split his attention against anyone.

When you know how to do your job, and you know how to do it well, you will start getting bored with it, and take on other tasks.

Oh, so this is just your belief. OK, I thought you had something you were referring to that would point to that being the case. You are taking available evidence and making your own determination, just like everyone else.

I do know that Haley wanted to run the offense, but let us not forget that he had complete control of the offense and went... oh 2 and 14. I also know that after 2-14 when you WERE running the offense, that you are likely going to get reigned in and told that you need some help. I might think that I can build a house by myself, but the first time I try to set a rafter by myself and fail, I am going to be told to get some help.

I also have no doubt that Haley did not like being told he needed an OC and likely resented that fact. I also do believe that he needed that help, so it was his arrogance that brought him down.

I guess it all depends on your opinion of Haley, if you thought Haley was capable of being both head coach and offensive coordinator and you supported him, then you would likely think that he was being told to do things he did not want to do. I, on the other hand, view it as arrogance that he would not accept help where he clearly needed it.

nigeriannightmare
01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
We were 4 and 12, 2 and 14 was herms last year.

chief31
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, so this is just your belief. OK, I thought you had something you were referring to that would point to that being the case. You are taking available evidence and making your own determination, just like everyone else.

I do know that Haley wanted to run the offense, but let us not forget that he had complete control of the offense and went... oh 2 and 14. I also know that after 2-14 when you WERE running the offense, that you are likely going to get reigned in and told that you need some help. I might think that I can build a house by myself, but the first time I try to set a rafter by myself and fail, I am going to be told to get some help.

I also have no doubt that Haley did not like being told he needed an OC and likely resented that fact. I also do believe that he needed that help, so it was his arrogance that brought him down.

I guess it all depends on your opinion of Haley, if you thought Haley was capable of being both head coach and offensive coordinator and you supported him, then you would likely think that he was being told to do things he did not want to do. I, on the other hand, view it as arrogance that he would not accept help where he clearly needed it.

Actually, when Haley had the offense, we doubled our win total from the previous season, at 4-12. Far from a success, but the point is that he wanted to run the offense.

And if you don't want to let your HC do the coaching, then don't hire him.

I never trusted Todd Haley to run the offense. But, if you interfere with how your HC wants to coach the team, then you have started the decay of your relationship with him.

And, if he was "reigned in", then you also believe that he was being blocked from coaching the team the way he wanted to.

So where is the argument here?

You challenged my statement that Haley was being blocked from running the offense, suggesting that it is not true, but then explain why it was good that he was blocked?

I think the fall-out between Haley and Pioli is a direct result of our OC situation for the past three years. And, Pioli absolutely has some responsibility for that.

But everybody wants to look at it from a one-sided perspective and blame Haley, because he is gone, and Pioli is still here.

Myself, I now have to chalk up Todd Haley's hiring, and firing, as negatives on Pioli.

I think this team would be in far better shape entering their fourth straight season with the same HC. It is exceptionally rare to find instant success after firing your HC.

nigeriannightmare
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Actually, when Haley had the offense, we doubled our win total from the previous season, at 4-12. Far from a success, but the point is that he wanted to run the offense.

And if you don't want to let your HC do the coaching, then don't hire him.

I never trusted Todd Haley to run the offense. But, if you interfere with how your HC wants to coach the team, then you have started the decay of your relationship with him.

And, if he was "reigned in", then you also believe that he was being blocked from coaching the team the way he wanted to.

So where is the argument here?

You challenged my statement that Haley was being blocked from running the offense, suggesting that it is not true, but then explain why it was good that he was blocked?

I think the fall-out between Haley and Pioli is a direct result of our OC situation for the past three years. And, Pioli absolutely has some responsibility for that.

But everybody wants to look at it from a one-sided perspective and blame Haley, because he is gone, and Pioli is still here.

Myself, I now have to chalk up Todd Haley's hiring, and firing, as negatives on Pioli.

I think this team would be in far better shape entering their fourth straight season with the same HC. It is exceptionally rare to find instant success after firing your HC.

Hope we find the next harbaugh........

chief31
01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Hope we find the next harbaugh........

I am really liking those 49ers this year. Hope they keep it up for two more games.

70 chiefsfan70
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I am really liking those 49ers this year. Hope they keep it up for two more games.

Thats who I have winning it all. I became a fan of their defense when they drafted Aldon Smith, this guy is for real and is a treat to watch. I'm from Columbia, the Home of the MU tigers, so I've got to watch him thoughout his college career.

Go Niners!

Ryfo18
01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I know you're talking about Aldon, but when I saw Justin Smith do this, I just sat in awe:

NFC Divisional Playoffs 49ers Vs Saints(Justin Smith Applies Tremendous Pressure! - YouTube

70 chiefsfan70
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I know you're talking about Aldon, but when I saw Justin Smith do this, I just sat in awe:

NFC Divisional Playoffs 49ers Vs Saints(Justin Smith Applies Tremendous Pressure! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjrbHlu5sH8)

WOW! I watched most of that game but I missed that sack. That was incredible. Hard to believe he is in his eleventh season. He was a MU Tiger as well. Brings back the good old days.

nigeriannightmare
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM

What he has done with alex smith is amazing. A coach can really screw up a qb and a team. And they have two mizzou boys.

chief31
01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
What he has done with alex smith is amazing. A coach can really screw up a qb and a team. And they have two mizzou boys.

A QB is only as good as the offense he leads.

nigeriannightmare
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
WOW! I watched most of that game but I missed that sack. That was incredible. Hard to believe he is in his eleventh season. He was a MU Tiger as well. Brings back the good old days.

Except the tigers werent much when he was there.